Chapter 2

Toy

10:16 pm

November 29

2014

 

"Yah!" Someone yelled and Gaeun jolted upright, her head nearly slamming into the thick metal railing in front of her.

Cracking open one eye, she could barely make out the figure of an old, stubby man wearing an authorized cap and a formal suit. In his hand, he waved a neon green baton with the words BUS AUTHORITY  written on the side.

He tapped his foot impatiently, looking around the empty bus and back at the petite girl on the seat in front of him. Rubbing her head, Gaeun looked the man up and down before gazing out the murky window to her left. There was so much snow and she envied the people in cars, humming along to tunes of the radio in familiar fur and warmth.

"Ma'am this is terminal station!" The old man growled and she sighed, standing up with a huff.

Her back ached from the stiffness of the single bus seat and she rubbed on it slowly before bowing in apology and making her way off the bus. The minute her foot made contact with the snow, she pouted, taking a deep breath before huddling all the way to the bus shelter.

She watched the bus roll away and frowned. It wasn't as cold as she had expected and she chuckled lightly before making her way down the street.

"Terminal station? I have to keep going right on this street and then a left," She thought aloud, dodging the pedestrians on the sidewalk beside her.

Pulling out her phone, she hummed slowly, checking the time and responding to a few text messages she had gotten during her little nap.

Her heels tapped slowly under the clean white snow as she made her way closer to the apartment that belonged to her and her old mother. It was small, but big enough as it gave them more than satisfying shelter and sufficient food on the table.

It was all she had ever wanted really. To live in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of nobodies and do anything she possibly could to stay unknown.

 It was a small city, one with dozens of small cafes and people but everyone seemed fond of one another and they knew each other from their childhood. It was like her own little family.

There were barely any buildings that stood tall, only rows and rows of identical houses that went on for what seemed like eternity. But just above where the sun set every night and where is rose every morning was a beautiful, large city. From the small window of her apartment she could see tall buildings and their heads reaching for the sky, touching it nearly. It left her in awe, it was magical almost that someone, somebody lived on that side of her world. That somewhere out there someone was having the time of their lives down there.

But she would settle for home. It was where she had met her first love after all.

Byun Baekhyun.

He was about two years older than she was but something about him made her feel odd. It was bittersweet. She would love when he took her to special places, just to see the look on her face. Their trips were exotic and out of this world.

But she would settle for home. It was where she had her first heartbreak after all.

--------

"I'm home!" Gaeun called, stomping on the hardwood of their small home to get the snow off her boots.

She could already smell treats in the oven and she released a warm smile.

"Umma, you're finally up and cooking." She whispered, tip-toeing in the kitchen and pulling open the creaky old oven.

She was answered by a strong slap at her side and she yelped, throwing herself back.

"Those are not to be touched!" The attacker scowled and Gaeun chuckled, throwing her arms over the lady.

"Umma, how have you been?" She could literally melt in her mother's arms as she inhaled the soft scent of cookies and peach cream.

She wasn't very tall. Barely growing over 5'1 she was nothing compared to her children who bore genes from their old deceased father.

"Well," Her mother shrugged, "I'm alive aren't I?"

Gaeun bit her lip. Her mother noticed this and smiled, her wrinkles and grey hair growing more precise with every day that passed.

"Don't say that, you look healthy," Gaeun lied.

Her mother held an expression for a few seconds. One that Gaeun had never seen before. It was something between pain and grief.

"Forget me, come sit." The old lady beamed, grabbing on to her daughters wrist and pulling her towards the couch.

Gaeun didn't protest and followed her mother to the living room. The fireplace was already lit and it gave off a sense of comfort and promise. She pulled off her jacket before taking a seat next to the lady.

"How was it?" Her mother asked eagerly.

Gaeun grinned smugly, knowing her mother would be excited for the news.

"It went as planned," She replied, trying to mask her excitement.

She watched her mother cover and her eyes begin to water. She made muffled noises behind her old, worn out palms.

"Oh Gaeun," She cried, throwing herself onto her child and bawling into her shoulder.

Gaeun laughed softly, the back of her mother's hair with ease, "I'll never let you down umma."

Things were still for a while and the two laughed into each other's arms. Gaeun remembered her mother never cried easily but this was something that had depended on her daughter and it was something worthy of crying over.

"That's wonderful! I guess it's my turn to share some shocking news." Her mother finally managed to speak, wiping away the dried tears on her cheeks.

Gaeun furrowed her brow, rubbing her hands together as she noticed the heat from the fire place was burning low.

"Let me fix that," Her mother sighed, detecting the sudden chill that arose from her daughter.

The woman got up slowly, her face cringing slightly because of the abrupt pain in her knee. Still, she managed to walk over to the fire place and inspect the level of the flame.

Moving over, she grabbed hold of four large wooden logs and tossed them in, not noticing the fury of ashes that blew around her from the impact. By now, there was a dull, throbbing that had spread down her leg. Still, she sat in front of the fire, watching it grow and spark to life.

Through her peripheral vision she could see the small kitchen, barely big enough to hold two people. Then, the living room which consisted of nothing but two aged couches and a small TV.

Her leg was getting worse by the minute and her heart beat slowed, now only matching the pace of each breath.

"Umma, come away from there."

It was nearing midnight and she could feel the moon falling over the sky, wishing a farewell to the blazing sun that had once brought day.

The heat of the fire had slightly scorched her cheeks and the black dust and residue was getting in her eyes.

She stayed in front of the fire, and barely flinched when a tear fell down her cheek. Then another, then a few more.

She told herself it was only because of the fire.