One Zero Two One

1021

 

They say that until you find the right person, you can use the time to “practice” on the wrong ones that would come along your way. While Mr. or Ms. Right is busy trying to find their way to you, you can have fun with Mr. or Ms. Right Now. But, what if you’re tired of all the “practice” and you long for the real thing? You know you’re ready. You know who and want you want. You just don’t know how to act on it.

“Ha! I knew it! This coin fits right into your nose!”

Her trail of thoughts was immediately dismissed when her best friend slash business partner slash unrequited love slash everything else except boyfriend (which, she still considers a tragedy of some sort) laughed hysterically in the background. She turned around and saw him, nearly passing out on the floor from too much laughter. When he saw that he got her attention, he lifted the coin once more and tried to put it near her nose. She rolled her eyes and pretended to be angry as she wheeled her chair around while trying to busy herself with whatever random file she was able to take out from her desk.

“Why don’t you go do something productive instead of minding other people’s business?” she tried to shoo him away but he refused to leave.

“But baby, your business happens to be MY business too. Or are you forgetting who owns the other 50% of Lonely Blue Records?” he wiggled his brows and leaned closer until their faces were almost an inch apart. He shifted his gaze from her eyes to her lips and repeated the process until he noticed that her fingers trembled slightly. He marveled at the effect he has on her, and wished that he could see more, so he leaned even closer and played with a strand of her hair.

“Maybe you need a reminder…” he started off but she pushed him away before he had the chance to carry out his plans, much to his dismay. He was enjoying seeing her face up close even if he had trouble keeping his heart rate within the normal range.

She turned around to secretly fan her blushing face as he still laughed in the background. He tried to get her to wheel her chair in his direction but she refused to relent.

“Just tell me what you came here for, otherwise leave me alone.” she huffed.

He knew she wasn’t really mad and she knew that he knew that, however, she’d rather fall off the stairs or donate her favorite Simpson doll before he becomes aware of the fact that she has a crush on him. Scratch that. Not a crush. Perhaps unrequited love would be a much more fitting term.

She can’t recall the exact moment she realized she fell in love with him. It was a gradual process until such time the denial wore off and well, here she is. Stuck in love with a dense man named Jung Yonghwa. Or maybe she should be thankful that he doesn’t know, otherwise, the awkwardness would be troublesome to handle. You can’t mix business with pleasure, as they say.

She felt herself heave a sigh of relief when she heard him walk away. Before she was able to squeal or do her weird exercises to drive the fluttery feelings away, he stepped back inside her office, two paper bags in tow. Their lunch. She didn’t say a word as she motioned for him to bring the food in the center table where they usually shared a meal.

“So…” he began.

“Which girlfriend was it this time? That American chick? What’s her name? Chloe? Or Cindy? Or that Japanese model called Keiko? The college girl, Hayi? Or the overly clingy idol Cho Hee?” she enumerated the girls she remembered being “associated” with him.

He shrugged his shoulders, his mouth still full, as he replied,

“None of the above. It’s Eun Sang. She finally broke up with me! YEAH!”

She clucked her tongue in disapproval as the rice in his mouth spilled when he got up and cheered for himself. He immediately cleaned up the mess and when he was done, he leaned closer to her. She took a tissue and wiped the corner of his mouth.

“Great. She was the most annoying girlfriend out of the hundred or more girls you dated. Glad you’re finally rid of her. If I see even a shadow of her lurking here, I’m going to pack my bags and leave. I can’t stand another second being with that clingy crybaby. Ugh. I can’t believe you dated her.” she tried to act as if she didn’t care but deep inside she was overjoyed that the girl was finally out of the picture. She really was such a nuisance.

“Hey! You know I only dated her to get you back for dating that Mooyeol dude! He’s equally annoying and clingy as Eunsang was!” he countered.

“But at least Mooyeol wasn’t such a whiny crybaby.” She rebutted.

“Aish, mwolla. Let’s not talk about people who don’t matter in our lives, ahrasseo? So tell me, Hy~un. Are you dating someone new?” he asked nonchalantly. He tried to act as if it wasn’t a big deal but deep inside, he was nervous.

What if she was dating again? How long will he wait before said boyfriend is out of the game and he could finally make a move? Will he have to pick a random girl on the street to cover up the fact that his heart gets broken every time he sees her with someone else other than him?

“Nope. Still single.” She replied, trying to gauge his reaction but unable to come up with a conclusion.

“So, no other boyfriends since Mooyeol?” he prodded.

“There was one or two after him. I think even three. Not sure. Forgot their names. They weren’t worth remembering anyway. I think the last one was around four months ago. Other than that, I’ve been too busy following your demands to pay attention to anything other than work. Seriously, you’re like, the most annoying business partner ever.” She commented.

Why does he care so much about her relationships when he has his own to worry about? Why the mixed signals? Those were the questions that floated in her mind. On the other hand, he keeps scolding himself mentally for failing to end his relationship with his girlfriends four months earlier. He suffered an extra 120 days with such unreasonable women. Damn him. Or maybe he deserves it after all for being such a lame coward.

“But I’m also the best, and together, we make the greatest team! After all, Love Light can’t exist without either of us.” he said proudly.

“If you tone down the nagging, even for just a little bit, then I might reconsider changing my opinion of you, Jung Yonghwa-sshi.” She winked at him as she took a sip of her Americano and got up to tidy the place.

He watched her as she moved up and about the room, and though she kept telling him to stand up and lend a helping hand, he refused to do so. Once she was done, that was the only time he stood up. He walked over to where she sat, pinched her cheeks and kissed the tip of her nose as he patted her head telling her she did a good job.

She’ll pretend to be annoyed over her hair being messed with, but truthfully, she was enjoying these simple moments wherein she felt like they were a couple. Unbeknownst to her, he loves this as much as she does. He winked at her one last time, telling her not to miss him so soon, as he made his way back to the studio. It has always been like this for the past few years, but somehow, they can’t help but want for something more.

 

black-divider18.gif

 

“Who’s your favorite imo?” she said as she hugged the 9 month old baby girl.

“Mo!!!” the little girl replied back as she wrapped her cute and chubby arms around Seohyun’s neck.

“Who’s the prettiest?” she asked again.

“Mi!!!” Eun Mi replied just as her father walked inside the room.

“Aigoo, my Eun Mi is the prettiest, right? Just like her omma.” Jungshin said as he kissed the little girl’s cheeks and took her in his arms. Seohyun could detect the sadness in his voice as he spoke of the child’s mother, and truthfully, she could feel the tears building up in her own eyes.

Her Hyoyeon unnie would’ve been so proud and happy to see that her husband and daughter were doing well on their own.

“She would’ve been a great mom…” Seohyun said. Jungshin smiled sadly as he cradled his now sleepy daughter in his arms.

“I know. I’m still bad at being both so thank you for helping me out. You and Yonghwa hyung.” He replied. It was at this moment when Jung Yonghwa entered the room, bearing a large teddy bear and some snacks. The smile was replaced with disappointment when he saw that Eun Mi was fast asleep.

“Aish. I thought I could play with her! She didn’t even get to see my present yet!” he complained.

“That’s because you were late, Yong. I told you to come earlier. If you want, you can wait until she wakes up again, which wouldn’t happen until after three or four hours.” Seohyun replied.

Yonghwa walked over to Jungshin and tried to wake the little girl.

“Aigoo, Eun Mi-yah, why didn’t you wait for your Yonghwa samchon? I wanted to play with you too! Why do you always only play with your Seohyun imo?” he whined.

“If you want your own daughter so badly hyung, then go and make one yourself. I’m sure Seohyunnie would be happy to assist you in that.” Jungshin snickered. The little girl stirred in her sleep as he laid her on her crib.

Yonghwa and Seohyun were about to yell, but Jungshin put a finger to his lips as he pointed to the sleeping baby.

“If she wakes up, I swear I’m going to leave you two alone with her for a week to play house. I need my siesta too.”

They made their way back to the living room where they shared an afternoon snack.

“Seriously, hyung, why aren’t you two still together? We all know you both got it bad for one another.” Jungshin laughed.

“You and your hyperactive imagination, Jungshin chingu. Why would you believe anything that Hyo unnie says?” she reacted.

“Because she’s my wife and she’s telling the truth. Jinjja! What are you two waiting for? When are you getting married? Everyone knows it’s going to happen anyway. I used to believe that one night stands are just flings or so, but you two proved me wrong. I guess, love at first sight, or should I say, first night, is possible.” Jungshin laughed heartily, oblivious to the fact that the two people sitting across from him were burning from embarrassment.

Their story was just like any other one you may have encountered in books or movies. He just got out of a bad relationship, and so did she. He resigned from his high paying job in order to pursue music (much to his parents utter disapproval), but the label dropped him without so much as compensating the past three years of his work with them. He never even made a debut, let alone, release a single. He was young and didn’t know that much about legalities and protecting his rights, which resulted to an unfair contract –one he couldn’t contest simply because he didn’t have the extra money to hire a lawyer.

She, on the other hand, has been jobless for two and a half years. She lived off her savings from her previous job (as an English teacher in high school with some part time tutoring gigs as well)  while trying to find a publisher for the book (of the self-improvement genre) she wrote.  She got rejected multiple times because the book was “too boring, controversial, and preachy.” She tried to rewrite it to fit their demands and though she landed a great deal, she pulled out at the last minute claiming the book no longer held her identity as an author after the countless revisions made by the editors. No one else wanted to take her after that because they said she acted too unprofessional.

A failed writer and a failed rockstar Add in the part that they got dumped on the same night, was dragged off to some speed dating event, and consequently, their paths crossed. They shared their troubles and woes with each other, drowning their misery in what should’ve been a non-alcoholic drink. They weren’t aware that some rookie bartender mixed up their drinks with the group of college kids on the opposite table.

Good thing there was a nearby motel. Actually, there was a better place nearby that they could have chosen, but had insufficient money. In the end, even with the combined coins and crumpled bills they were able to fish out of their pockets, they could only afford a single room. They stayed the night, talked more about their failures and dreams, until finally, they both passed out and fell asleep.

The morning after was a total chaos. They woke up entangled in each other’s arms. It didn’t help either that he was shirtless and she was only wearing her undershirt instead of the cashmere sweater she remembered wearing the night before. They accused each other of taking advantage of the other. There was hair pulling, kicking, screaming, and some curses here and there. It was only after the motel’s manager knocked on their door and told them to tone it down and try not to be so “enthusiastic” with their “activities” because it was bothering the others, did they sit down and had a decent conversation.

It was a miracle they were able to find common ground and apologize to each other despite battling the worst hangover. She found out that he had a degree in business administration, major in marketing and that he once worked for the country’s largest advertising companies. He found out that she had a degree in creative writing, and did compete internationally in classical music. He could play the contemporary instruments, and sing, while she knew how to work on the classical ones. Of course, it was a bonus that she could carry a tune just fine. Perhaps, even better than fine.

He randomly shared his song portfolio and she immediately took an interest in them. She rearranged it, and wrote the lyrics. He was in charge of the melody and other technicalities she wasn’t aware of. They recorded a bunch of demos together and that was when they knew that they found hope in each other. They started off with what little savings they have left to establish their own label.

Their big break came just within three months of establishing their own label when they sold a couple of songs to a rookie idol group from a large entertainment company. The songs became a huge hit, and soon enough, the writing tandem who went by the name, “Love Light” (he was extremely persistent that they register under this name) earned a good enough reputation to be sought by entertainment companies and singers alike.

They could’ve expanded their business, but based on experience and personal reasons, they just decided to hire a few trusted people to work with them. He handled the recording process while she was busy with the paperwork and writing the lyrics. The rest, as they say, is history.

“How many times do we have to tell you nothing happened that night or any night at all?! Nothing!” Yonghwa shouted.

“We were heavily intoxicated to do anything.” Seohyun supported his argument.

“But you two slept TOGETHER.” Jungshin laughed again.

“That’s just it. We just talked, slept and nothing more! LITERALLY!!!” Yonghwa and Seohyun chorused.

“Judging from your frustrations, you sure look like you two regret ingesting too much alcohol that night. See! I told you. Just get married already. You love her. She loves you. You love each other. What’s there to wait for? Aigoo. I get it now. I get why Hyo was so frustrated with your stubbornness and denial. Aish, jinjja. Why are you two wasting your time and dragging other people when you could just be with each other? Besides, aren’t you too old to be in the dating game? He’s practically an ahjussi now!” Jungshin exclaimed.

“Ahjussi?!! You call a twenty nine year old man an ahjussi?! Then it’s only fair you call her an ahjumma too. She’s turning twenty seven next week!” Yonghwa said.

“Hey! Don’t drag me into your mess you old man.” Seohyun butted in.

“Old?!” Yonghwa asked in disbelief.

“Aigoo you two argue like a married couple. Honestly, the only thing missing is the actual legal commitment and the intimacy. Otherwise you two are good to go.”

“You’re sounding just like Hyo unnie. Ugh.”

“Well, I’m her husband after all.” Jungshin smirked.

“Yeah whatever.” Seohyun sighed as she pretended to act all defeated while she looked up and said,

“UNNIE!!! Can you please haunt this dear nampyeon of yours tonight and tell him to quit it with his jokes?!”

“Seo Joohyun-sshi, even if my wife’s ghost or apparition pays a visit, she’s still going to encourage me to get you two pabos together instead of the other way around.” Jungshin chuckled. He looked up to the sky and said,

“Isn’t that right, Yeobo? Come to think of it, I miss you so much so I wouldn’t mind if you’d stop by even in my dreams…” though he said it in a joking manner, Yonghwa and Seohyun knew better. They walked over to their friend’s side to pat his shoulder.

“Thanks guys. I’m okay, really. I’ll be fine.” He reassured them. Yonghwa and Seohyun kept exchanging these looks which didn’t escape his hawk eyes. The looming sadness was gone and in an instant he jeered them as he sang the age old song of two people kissing on a tree.

Seohyun groaned and pleaded Yonghwa for help (through eye contact of course), which then led Jungshin to unearth all the supposed “couple vibes” he gets from the two. Before the two could deny, a baby’s cry was heard.

“Uh, I’ll leave you two to continue this googly eye contact session you’re having. My baby girl needs me. Annyeong!”

They stood there, cheeks still flaming from embarrassment, not one of them daring to speak even a word. Kim Hyoyeon may have been long gone, but she sure didn’t fail to pass on the task of matchmaking the two of them to her husband.

 

black-divider18.gif

 

They were in the middle of working on a song that was to be used as an OST for a drama. She was too busy analyzing the ideas to notice that he had stopped doing his task just to stare at her.

“Beautiful isn’t even enough to describe the perfection that is you.” he sighed dreamily, that goofy smile on his face as this was what he intended to say. However, by some of bad luck, the words that came tumbling out of his mouth were,

“You look a lot less uglier today than you did yesterday. Maybe you should wear your hair down more often instead of tying it up in a bun.”

He wanted to slap himself for saying such a thing when he saw the hurt in her eyes which was then replaced by a glare.

“Would it really kill you to compliment me at least once in a while?” she snapped. Though honestly, she did dress down on purpose just to see if he cared enough to pay attention. Her heart was doing this little victory dance.

“It would, because I’m afraid that the minute I let myself go and say what it is I’ve kept hidden from you for so long, you’d think of me differently. I don’t want things to change between us. I mean, I want it to change but I’m not sure you feel the same way.” that’s what he thought but his stupidity and rashness acted faster as he ended up saying,

“It won’t kill me, Hyun. It’ll probably be the death of you though. You might hit your head on something when I do compliment you because by then, my words would sweep you off your feet and you’ll never ever recover from the fall.” Like I did when I realized I fell in love with you. He didn’t add the last part. Instead, he laughed.

So much for hoping to hear him say you look pretty or beautiful. She thought. Why was it so important for her to hear him say those words? Aish.

She tried desperately to focus on her task but the fact that she knew he was staring at her was causing her heart and stomach to do multiple somersaults. She squirmed in her seat and tried not to act so conscious even if her mind was rambling with thoughts of whether she did her makeup right, does she look pretty in this angle or the other one, and so on and so forth.

“Have you ever fallen in love, Hyun?” he asked randomly. She put down her pencil and dared herself to look at him in the eye as she said,

“Yes.”

He felt that pang in his heart but he chose to conceal it by saying,

“Jinjja?! Which of the many boyfriends was it? The doctor? The model? The architect? The writer? Your high school classmate? That soccer coach?” he enumerated though in his mind, he was plotting different ways to hunt down the guy and see what made Seo Joohyun fall for him.

“The one I couldn’t have.” she answered softly, as she looked away and continued writing down some notes.

By this time, that pang became a hammering force until it felt like his heart was being crushed to pieces. He already lost just when he thought he was brave enough to begin the fight.

“He’s not married, right? I wouldn’t have thought you had it in you to be the other woman.” Even the sound of his laughter was obviously forced and fake. She waved her hand to dismiss those thoughts of his.

“Oh, no need to worry about that. He’s not the marrying type, that I’m sure of. He seems to value being a bachelor and would probably remain that way for the rest of his life. Unless, he knocks his head hard on a metal post or something.” She laughed.

“It seems like you know this guy well.” He commented his observation.

“You can say that.” she replied vaguely.

“How do you know then, that he’s not the marrying type? How can you be so sure? Did you ever ask him?” he interrogated. Even if it will kill his pride to go and have a talk with this man, he had to do so if it meant Seo Joohyun’s happiness. Anything for her.

“Haven’t you heard of the saying, “actions speak louder than words?”  Enough about him. What about you, Mr. Jung? Have you ever fallen in love?” she dodged the question and tried to turn the table.

“Yes.” he replied while averting his gaze.

It was an unexpected answer. She tried to search her memory for any indication or a reminder of who this lucky woman was. Who was it that managed to make the mighty Jung Yonghwa fall? What did he see in her? It was her turn to feel those thorns pricking her heart until it bled profusely.

“Jinjja? Which of the endless parade of girlfriends was it? The idol? The teacher? The supermodel? That blonde chick?” she enumerated.

He looked into her eyes directly as he said,

“The one that never became mine.” she didn’t miss the sad undertone in his voice. It felt like the thorns were now squeezing the life out of her dying heart.

“This woman, whoever she is, must’ve been the first one to reject you. Your wounded ego probably couldn’t take it and perhaps you’ve misinterpreted that pain to be heartache.” She rationalized and chuckled but the quiver in her voice almost gave her away. Almost.

“She never really rejected me because I didn’t ask her out.” He replied bitterly.

“Is she married?! Omo!” she joked.

“Aniya. She just happens to be in a relationship most of the time. By the time I gathered enough courage, there’s another guy who beat me to it and well, the cycle goes. I don’t think I can ask her out though. I’m not sure she feels the same way…”

“So that’s it then? You’re chickening out just because you’re afraid of rejection? The hell, Yong. Even if we live in the twenty first century, girls still want to know that a man is brave enough to risk his pride and face rejection when he professes his love.

I don’t get why guys only make a move on the girls who they think won’t impose such a challenge. Coward much? They see women as some sort of an investment and only go after those with guaranteed returns. Would the concept of unconditional love remain just that? A concept? Or has it turn to myth by now? Such a shame really.” She lectured.

She was getting worked up simply because she knew she no longer stood a chance when someone else has managed to steal away her unrequited love’s heart. The atmosphere was awkward and the tension was close to unbearable so he said,

“Why are we being dramatic all of a sudden?! AISH! I think we need to go grab something to eat.” He laughed as he stood up and extended his hand in invitation. She blinked away the tears as she took his hand and led the way out.

 

black-divider18.gif

 

“Happy birthday uri Eun Mi-yah!!! We love you!!!” the three of them shouted happily as the little girl clapped her hands in glee when they helped her blow the candles.

Jungshin handed his daughter to his wife’s cousins. He told everyone to just enjoy the party and the food. He motioned for Seohyun and Yonghwa to come with him inside the house.

“I can’t believe she’s already a year old! Time flies by so fast! She looks a lot like Hyo unnie.” Seohyun sniffed.

“Pretty soon this namja is going to drive away admirers.” Yonghwa laughed.

“YAH! No talk about admirers! She’s still a baby!” Jungshin complained.

They were now inside the master’s bedroom as the two of them watched Jungshin search something in the closet. He gave them a yellow envelope and tears immediately welled up in Seohyun’s eyes as she recognized the handwriting.

“She told me to give this to you two on the day we celebrate Eun Mi’s first birthday. She insists that you read it together out loud otherwise she won’t rest in peace until you do so. You can read it whenever you like. I’ll just go back to the party.” He laughed as he made his way out the room.

That night, they decided to go for a joyride. They were lying on the back of the rented purple pickup, admiring the stars, when he remembered about the letter. She immediately searched her things and was relieved she was able to tuck it safely in her bag.

“Ready?” he asked her worriedly.

“As ready as I can be.” She confirmed as she carefully tore down the flap and opened the letter. He had to hold her hand which constantly trembled upon seeing her Hyo unnie’s handwriting.

 

To the songwriting duo who calls themselves by the cheesy pseudonym, Love Light,

 

Annyeong! YA! Are you two sitting side by side and following my instructions? Aigoo. Knowing you two, Yonghwa is probably holding Hyunnie’s hand while your arms are wrapped around each other’s waist. AM I right? Hahaha!

 By the time you’re reading this, uri Eun Mi has just turned a year old. How fast time flies. My baby girl is growing up. I’m sure she’s a very pretty baby. After all, I’m her omma. I hope that she inherits Shin’s height though. Her beauty, nevertheless, are all from me. Kekeke.

I just want to thank you two for doing a good job in helping my husband raise her. I know it must be difficult. I’m eternally grateful for everything that you have done and will continue to do so for my husband and daughter. If only my heart was strong enough (literally) to endure the stress of pregnancy and so. It pains me to know that I won’t be there to see my daughter take her first steps, babble her first word, and many other milestones I refuse to think about right now otherwise this letter will be crumpled with my dried tears.

How are you two doing? I bet you’ve become the most sought after producers in the country. You’ve paved way for Hallyu and if you try, I think you might break the international market too. Will you two quit the “mysterious” concept and think about expanding your business? You have all the resources to do so. But then again, that would mean more time will be spent away from each other and you might not even visit my daughter anymore. So, okay. I agree with your choices. Aish. Why am I so bipolar now? Must be fatigue.

To Yong Choding. YA! When will you have the guts to tell Seo Joohyun that you’re madly and crazily in love with her?

 

Yonghwa immediately snatched the paper when they reached that line to which Seohyun gasped upon reading it. HE tried to keep it away but Seohyun was able to snatch it back.

 

Now where was I? Ah, I bet by now this paper is all crumpled and nearly torn to pieces because Yong probably tried to keep it from you. Hahaha! To be fair, how about you Joohyunnie? When do you plan on telling Jung Yonghwa that you’ve been harboring a not-so-unrequited love for him?

 

This time, it was Seohyun who tried to snatch the paper, but unfortunately, she failed.

 

I can totally imagine the two of you trying to fight over this piece of paper. Aigoo, kyeopta! Just so you know I’m cheering for Yongseo couple even in the afterlife! Anyway, to continue…Seo Joohyun-sshi, did you know that the man sitting beside you right now could’ve been a famous rockstar? He turned down multiple offers from Hollywood producers just because he refused to leave you in Korea. He knows you don’t want to move overseas and well, part of the offer comes with him being the opening act for the world tour of his favorite rock band.

Jung Yonghwa-sshi, did you know that uri Hyunnie also had an offer to fulfill her dream as a writer? That boring book she wrote (no offense but I really am not into that genre), the one whose original manuscript I sent over to some publishers (forgive your unnie, will you?), earned the interest of international publishing companies. She could’ve signed a deal. Actually, she did. But on the day of her flight, you got into a major car accident. Obviously, she missed the flight, and refused to leave your side until you woke up, which didn’t happen for three weeks.

I could enumerate everything else you two did for each other but I’m too tired right now. I’m sure you know it all. Just go take a trip down memory lane. When you’re done, don’t even try to rationalize your actions as something a friend would do for a friend. It’s more than that and you both know it.

Will you do me another favor? Just say you love each other. If you can’t, then will you please at least try to work things out? Whatever your reasons for holding back, just let them go. I know it’s easier said than done, but coming from a dead person, from a wife and mother who didn’t get the privilege to spend more time with the people she loves, don’t ignore this request. You already have what most people spend the rest of their lives looking for. You have what I wished was given to me – time. You have it all, Yonghwa and Seohyun. All you have to do is to take a chance. Trust me, it’s worth it.

That’s all. You’ll hear from me again when the designated time comes. Thank you again and know for certain that Kim Hyoyeon loves and cheers for you! I’ll remain the greatest fan of the Yongseo couple aka Love Light (how cheesy can you two get?) whether in that lifetime and the one I’m in right now.

 

-Dancing Queen, Kim Hyoyeon, aka Lee Jungshin’s gorgeous wife & Lee Eun Mi’s beautiful omma-

 

They set down the paper and kept silent. She recalled everything he did for her. The way he ran barefooted on the highway just to make it to her press conference, the way he always looked out for her, the way he’d cook her meal whenever she was too tired to take care of herself, the way he always looked so sad whenever she says she’s going on a date with her current boyfriend, etc etc. She remembered that he only got in a relationship a day after she announces her own.

She remembered that it was he who held her as she cried every night when her Hyoyeon unnie died. The timing for the offers couldn’t have been more clearer – he could’ve accepted it but he didn’t because he didn’t want to leave her to grieve on her own. He gave up his lifelong dream just to be with her.

She recognized all of it now – every little piece of that puzzle which created the picture she thought was just a dream. She remembered that late night phone call, when he was drunk and said that he thinks he’ll never deserve her. She was too sleepy and exhausted to think of it back then, but it’s a miracle she could recall his words at this moment. So the woman who managed to make the mighty Jung Yong fall was none other than her. She was too silly, stupid, and blind. All this time, she was just jealous of herself. Pabo, Seo Joohyun.

She opened to speak but he raised his hand and said,

“Aish. Kim Hyoyeon watched a lot of dramas.”

Her heart sank but she knew better than to interrogate him about the contents of that letter. If Jung Yonghwa is still afraid to take a chance and risk it all for what could be the best for them, then she’ll be the one to initiate the first step. She smirked and said,

“I have a proposal. 200 dates, Jung Yonghwa.”

“Huh? 200 what?” he asked confusingly.

“200 dates. You and me. Why don’t we take time off work and just enjoy? Travel across the world or do anything. It’s time we get to enjoy the fruit of our labor. You’re single. I’m single. Now, don’t take this the wrong way. I agree that Hyo unnie must’ve watched a truckload of chick flicks a few hours before she wrote this letter, but what the hell. I’m bored. And single. So are you. What do you say?” she challenged him.

“200 dates it is then. You’re in charge of the first one hundred and I’ll do the remaining one. Deal?” he bargained.

“Deal.”

200 dates. 200 chances to fall in love. 200 ways to say I love you. On which day will he finally have the guts to confess? A boy, a girl, and a proposal. How will this story end?

 

black-divider18.gif

 

They just got back from their Nagoya trip. They decided to stay over at her apartment. She sat on the floor as she tried to busy herself with labeling the souvenirs to give to their families and relatives. It felt like they just came home from a honeymoon, except, in reality, they were just finished with their 199th date.

199 dates and still, Jung Yonghwa hasn’t said a word to express whatever it is he truly felt about her. She’s beginning to think that her Hyo unnie was wrong or maybe he realized he really didn’t love her the way she loves him.

“How does a boy tell a girl he loves her?” he asked, looking so lost, confused, and uncertain, though in reality, he was just faking that expression. He was fishing for information on how she wanted to be confessed to.

Meanwhile, she wants to just smack his head to knock some sense into him, but doing so would only cause the opposite effect. So in the end, she sighed, and tried to be patient as she answered his question.

“If you can’t say the actual words, then go with numbers.”

He was puzzled once more. What is this girl saying? How can she be so dense? He scolded himself for even seeking some advice from the girl group the two of them previously worked with. They said that when he’d ask that question, she would start getting moony-eyed and then spill the details about her dream proposal/confession. Unfortunately, Seo Joohyun doesn’t fit into that category. He took pride in the fact that this girl really is one of a kind.

“Like, 143?” he asked once more, still hoping to get that information.

However, she didn’t share the same line of thoughts. She wanted to laugh. How did the mighty and suave Jung Yonghwa turn out to be this kind of man? She knew the answer, he knew the answer, but still, none of them tried to bring the topic up.

I won’t be the first to say the L word. She thought. She glanced upon his direction when she realized he was still waiting for answer. Crap! What was it that I said? Go with the numbers? She roamed her eyes around the place and tried to come up with something. In less than a minute, four numbers instantly popped in her head and the reason behind it all fit perfectly. She nearly pumped her fists in the air.

“No. Eww. How old-fashioned and unoriginal can you get? Something like, 1021.” She replied.

“I don’t get how that equates to something like I love you.” he sighed defeatedly. The conversation isn’t going on as he hoped it to be.

She expected this response from him (though unaware of the real reason why he looked so lost and frustrated) and bit her lip from giggling. It was cute seeing him all worked up and confused. Serves you right for being such a coward.

“Maybe one day you’ll know, but in the meantime, it wouldn’t hurt to guess, right?” she teased.

She turned her back to walk away, but froze when she felt his arms wrap around her and his voice whispered in her ears saying,

“Joohyun-ah, 1021.” He still didn’t know what the numbers meant, but he knew that whatever it was, it’s a good enough introduction for the confession he planned to take place tomorrow. She, on the other hand, nearly said the meaning out loud but just then, the doorbell rang. Talk about wrong timing.

She was irritated when she opened the door to greet a smiling Lee Jungshin.

“What did I do?” he asked innocently.

“NOTHING!” Seohyun screamed as she ran back to her room.

“What’s wrong with her?” Jungshin asked Yonghwa.

“PMS.” Yonghwa chuckled. “So, is everything set?”

“Yes, hyung. Although I still think you should’ve done it sometime during your trip overseas.” Jungshin replied.

“Aniya. It has to be here. I can’t organize something like that overseas or bring the required manpower. It’s not going to come out the way I want it to.” Yonghwa insisted.

“Whatever you say, hyung. Just don’t try to test her patience more than what you’re doing. It’s on thin ice and the last thing I’d want is for all of these grand preparations to backfire.” He reminded.

“It won’t. She loves me too much to give up.” Yonghwa answered confidently.

“Arrogant. Suit yourself then. I just dropped by to give you these demos. Bye.”

 

black-divider18.gif

 

She wanted to cry. She expected too much and this is what she got. Nothing. It felt like he wasn’t even trying anymore. This was the last of the 200 dates and she knew he didn’t make an effort for it. They just watched a movie (wherein she expected their love story to play onscreen instead), ate a meal (when she was hoping he’d stand on a chair to announce he loves her), and went to a broadcasting company (where she thought there would be a grand surprise waiting). He was too aloof, chill, and somehow uninterested. Now, the day’s almost over and he’s dropping her off at home.

He kissed her cheek and turned around to walk back to his car when she called out his name. She couldn’t take it anymore. She refused to be hung on a thread. She has to know if he still wants what she wants. She’s going to say that L word right now right here if she has to, just to make this choding producer slash best friend slash business partner slash the love of her life confess.

He didn’t want any unnecessary events to go on at this moment and he really couldn’t be late for the one he has been planning since she proposed the 200 dates. He quickened his pace, but she caught up with him and grabbed him by the collar before he had the chance to escape. He tried to free himself, but she wouldn’t let him go.

He was going to say something, but she put a hand on his mouth to stop him from doing so. She gathered up all her courage and said loudly,

“JUNG YONGHWA, 1021!!!!”

It was difficult by the second not to give in to her, but he’s a perfectionist not only in work but also when it comes to winning Seo Joohyun’s heart (not that he had to really try in the first place, but still). He gulped and tried to act cool as he said,

“I’m not in the mood for your guessing game. Whatever this 1021 means.”

He was silently begging that she let him go so the real 200th date could finally take place. He could feel his phone vibrating in his pocket and knew that it was probably Lee Jungshin on the line. How many times did he nag about no one being late and yet here he was, being held hostage by the girl who’s supposed to be the star of that event? He took a quick glimpse at his watch and panicked when he realized he’s almost twenty minutes late. Why oh why did he eat slowly during their dinner? Because he was enjoying teasing Seo Joohyun. That’s why.

She took hold of his face and brought his body closer to hers.

“You’re too stupid to figure it out so I’ll just tell you what the freaking numbers mean.” She said jokingly. Normally, he’d laugh it off and say she looks cute (which she really does look like at the moment) but the continuous phone calls was driving him insane.

“Ya! Pay attention to what I’m saying, Yong. 1021.”

There was no point of escape. So he resigned and gave her the attention she was asking for. The second he looked into her eyes, he knew that he fell in love all over again. He could feel himself catching his breath as she smiled. She gently caressed his face until finally, she took a deep breath and decided to speak.

“All it takes is to have ONE of us take a step out of our comfort zones, letting ourselves have ZERO expectations, say what we should’ve said all those years ago, in order for TWO hearts to become as ONE. In short, 1021. I love you, Jung Yonghwa. I’m in love with you for God knows how long. I was too busy trying to hide my feelings because I thought I’d lose you if you found out. I thought you never cared for me more than a friend. I was too blind and preoccupied with this “one-sided love” of mine to realize I was hurting you too. To realize that the feeling is mutual.

I wanted to be the one to be confessed to first, but I’m tired of waiting, Yong. I’m not a patient person and I just need to know right now if you want me too. If you want the same thing as I do. I gave you 200 chances already Yong, and I’m afraid I can’t take it anymore if I let this go on longer. We live in the twenty first century after all. So here I am, a twenty first century girl, telling you how much I’d cross borders and do everything just to prove how much I love you.

So, do you get it now? One zero two one?” she said in one breath. His lack of response was making her even more nervous.

“Yong, didn’t you hear what I said? I said I love you. I love you! I love you! Saranghae!!! Ya! Don’t just stand there. Say something! Anything! Something like you love me too! YAAA!” she was desperate alright but the jumbled emotions were too much to handle.

He opened his mouth to speak, and she looked at him expectantly. That was when he felt her grip loosened. He thanked the heavens for the chance he has been waiting for. He’s not the best actor but he tried to look constricted or confused (although the term constipated would be a much more apt description) as he opened and close his mouth. It added to her bewilderment but before she could grab him again, he started to back out and run away slowly.

It took thirty seconds before her mind registered what was happening. The rain poured mercilessly and in just a few seconds, she was already drenched. She could still see his back and that’s when she sprinted towards his direction, all the while thinking how it should’ve been the guy playing this role.

They ran around for a couple of minutes, and finally stopped when they reached the park nearby. He surveyed the area and was relieved to see the people found shelter someplace. He nodded in their direction and signaled that no matter what, the plan has to occur. Rain or shine. He could hear her footsteps getting louder and he pretended to run away again when he heard her scream his name. That’s my girl. He laughed inwardly. He tried to wipe the grin off his face as he turned around to face her.

She’s so beautiful. I am beyond blessed to be the man she fell in love with. He thought. Her face was fuming in anger and the flaring nostrils was a sight to behold. Still, time to put on a show. Call him vain, but he needed to know just a few more things beforehand. Or at least, until the rain stops.

“Why me, Hyun? Why?!” he said dramatically. The rain couldn’t be more perfect for this. At least his horrible acting skills aren’t that obvious.

“Why not?” she answered back.

“I can be vain.” He started again.

“I’m more vain than you so I don’t see why that’s a problem.” She replied.

“I hate burgers and junk food. I’ll probably feed you gogumas, yam shake, and every other healthy food there is.” He confessed.

“Then I’ll eat it as long as you would at least join me on my pig out once in a while.” She responded.

“I’m your business partner. We shouldn’t be dating each other.” he pointed out.

“Dude, we’ve been on 200 dates. Don’t you think it’s a little too late for that? Besides, I’m not your employee. I’m your boss as much as you are mine.” she reminded.

“I’m a lousy lyricist.” He admitted.

“That’s why I’m in charge of that while you compose the music.” She said as a matter of fact.

“I only eat bread and cereals for breakfast.” He declared.

“I’m good with just French toast for my morning meal.” She sighed.

“I hate coffee. Especially that bitter-tasting Americano you’re so addicted to.” He professed.

“I hate tea. Especially that disgusting earl grey tea you’re so addicted to. Quits?” She retorted.

“I’m a guy.” He was running out of excuses.

“And I’m a girl.” She was beginning to be annoyed but still found him cute.

“I often leave the toilet seat up after taking a piss.” He confessed.

“Then I’ll put it down when it’s my turn as long as you clean it first.” She bargained.

“I like to sleep on the left side of the bed.” He said.

“Great! Because I’m more inclined to use the right side.” She answered back.

“I love to hug my pillows.” He confessed once more.

“I hate having too many things on the bed so we’ll reduce the pillows. How about you hug me instead?” she proposed while unleashing a little bit of aegyo.

“I sleep at midnight.” He uttered.

“So do I.” she beamed.

“I’m an iPhone user.” He randomly blurted out.

“So what if I like Samsung? Our choice of gadgets do not define our compatibility.” She said firmly.

“I iron my clothes every Wednesday and Saturday.” He reminded her.

“Uh huh. That’s fine because I do the laundry every Tuesday and Friday.” She reminded him.

“I….I…” he stammered.

“Anything else Mr. Jung?” she challenged.

“I.. I’m almost an ahjussi. Lee Jungshin was right! I’m old!” he stuttered again.

“You haven’t even hit the 30 year old mark, Yong. I’m just twenty four months younger than you. Would you consider me an ahjumma too?” she asked.

“I.. uh…I..” he was tongue tied.

“You know what, save it. I won’t take NO for an answer. You see, Jung Yonghwa, I’m like a boomerang. No matter how many times you throw or send me far away, I’ll always find a reason to come back to you.”

By this time, he could no longer control himself from smiling. The rain was slowing down as he made his way towards her.

This is it. This is the part he tells me he loves me too. She thought as she waited in anticipation. She was so eager, so excited, so ready to jump into his arms as soon as he confesses, but then he said,

“I have a proposal.”

“WHAT?!” she almost yelled. By this time, the rain has completely stopped. She was overwhelmed by such an unprecedented statement to notice the “random” people hurriedly getting into place as they redecorated the scene.

“200 lifetimes.” He continued.

“200 what?!”

“Lifetimes. With me. That’s the only thing included in this proposal of mine, should you accept. I see no reason why you’d decline. This offer is too good to resist.”

He still had this grin on his face (she nearly melted upon seeing him pull off this wet look effortlessly) when he started humming that random tune. The one he always used to tease and annoy her further. The song she knew he was working on for years now but the same one he refused to let her take a listen to.

He pinched her cheeks and laughed. She raised her fists to hit his chest but he caught it just in time. He kissed the back of her hand as he did a cute curtsy. What in the world is happening? He winked at her before he snapped his fingers. At once, the park was filled with the prettiest lights and only then did she see that it was decorated with her favorite flowers.

On one side, she noticed her parents sitting with his own. On the other, there were their closest relatives. He let go of her hand and disappeared in the midst of the approaching crowd – which is comprised of their coworkers and the rest of the people they collaborated with. The crowd parted again, and this time, Jung Yonghwa was standing in the middle of a makeshift platform (it could’ve been a great stage if not for the rain which ruined the props), holding an acoustic guitar.

Lee Jungshin was holding the bass (she never knew he could play an instrument), while the rest of the band comprised of the members of the idol group they first worked with. She didn’t know what was happening. She couldn’t think of anything. Yonghwa nodded and soon, a beautiful melody filled the area. They were beginning to attract a crowd too. How can they not if they have a bunch of celebrities present in this event?

 

When I look at you my face gets red

When I see you my heart goes thump thump

I talk with shyness like a kid

When I look at you i just smile out of nowhere

Like a fool I keep doing that

I think love came to me

 

She recognized his voice immediately. This was one of her fantasies coming true – Jung Yonghwa serenading her with a song. She found his rap cute and adorable but when it came to the chorus, the waterworks was too stubborn to concede.

 

You’re a darling

You’re more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky

The shining thing deep inside my heart

My very own love light

 

I love you darling

Give me light next to me whenever

Every night I look at you

And you’re beautiful even when i look at you

You’re my love light

 

This was it. This was the song he kept humming to . This was the song he wouldn’t let her listen to. This was the one he composed all those years ago.  This was the first and only song he wrote the lyrics without her help.This was why he was so persistent that they officially use and register the name “Love Light” when they decided to try their hand at producing and writing songs. This was it. She cried her heart out. He fell in love with her long before she did. All this time. How could she not have known?

By the time the song came to an end, he walked towards her and wiped her tears with his thumb. He lifted her face gently and waited until she finally looked at him in the eye. He could feel his knees go weak at the sight of her but he knew that he must be man enough to go through with this event after all the years of denial and procrastination.

“There’s only ONE woman who managed to mend and break my heart but still has the power to make me fall in love with her all over again without even trying. I realized that even if she may not feel the same way as I do, I will love her unconditionally. I don’t and wouldn’t ask for anything in return. Absolute ZERO.

He took the circular pendant hanging from his favorite necklace chain as one of the idol boys handed a small velvet box. He opened the box and she gasped. She was beginning to understand the event unfolding but she was afraid to completely believe in it lest it be a dream and she’d wake up crying. She felt something cold slip on her finger. This definitely isn’t a dream.

He twisted both the ring and the “pendant” in a clockwise manner until it united to form a heart made up of diamonds. It looked like a promise and eternity ring molded into one. She felt tears stream down her cheeks because he remembered. She remembered babbling to him about the kind of ring she was hoping to receive on a dream proposal to the point that she even showed him a sketch (she asked a jeweler friend to draw it) of it. No wonder she couldn’t find that paper after a week of showing it to him.

“If TWO seemingly different and unrelated objects can click in place and become as ONE, then why can’t we? Did you pay attention to the words I emphasized, Seo Joohyun-sshi? Just in case you missed it, it’s ONE ZERO TWO ONE. You get it now? 1021.”

He snapped his fingers and pointed towards her back. She turned around and saw the nation’s most popular singers. One by one, they showed their backs to her, until the letters formed the words WILL YOU MARRY ME? She turned around once again to face Yonghwa, but before she could say yes, he put a finger to his lips as he got down on one knee.

“One thousand twenty one days ago, there was a boy who decided that it’s time to confess to the girl he fell in love with years earlier. The same one he met during a random speed dating on what could’ve been the worst but turned out to be the best night of his life. However, time and circumstances were never in his favor. It didn’t help either that he was too scared, too insecure, too afraid to say something because he thought he doesn’t deserve her. He thought he wasn’t good enough and didn’t stand a chance because she already saw the bad side of him. She knew the skeletons in his closet.

He resigned to the fact that he’ll be content just being her friend because at least, that guarantees a space in her life. However, the 200 date proposal happened. He found his chance. He took her to the most romantic places across the globe and did everything he can to make sure that she’ll fall in love with him and never recover from it. Haughty and selfish as it may seem, but he really was desperate.

So now, without further ado, this boy, now a man who calls himself Jung Yonghwa, is asking the question that took him nearly a decade to ask. Seo Joohyun, my love light, I love you. I always will. Will you do me the honor of spending the next 200 lifetimes as my wife? Will you marry me? Please?”

She sobbed so loudly but managed to squeak in that YES! As soon as she did, he got up and did the silliest dance he could think of. Once the cheers and congratulations subsided, she punched his arm.

“OWW! What was that for?!” he complained as he massaged the spot she hit.

“YAH! You planned this all along didn’t you! Why the need to tire me out by making me run after you?!” she accused him.

“I always wanted to know how it feels like to be chased under the rain.” He grinned.

“Mwo?!” she asked in disbelief.

“Wae?! You said you’re sick and tired of the same clichés in movies so here’s real life, giving you the exact opposite!” he argued.

“You made me say the L word first!” she argued back.

“I wasn’t expecting you to! If you didn’t grab my collar and trap me in your steel grip, then this proposal could’ve go on as smoothly as I planned. See! Even the props were washed away by the rain!” he retorted.

“You should’ve used high quality material then!” she nagged.

“I forgot about it. I was too busy trying to make the best proposal speech from that random four digits you came up with!” he said.

“The 1021?!”

“Yes!”

“Wait, was it really 1,021 days ago when you first planned to confess to me?” she asked.

“Actually it’s 1,022. But you wouldn’t mind me subtracting a day right?” he smiled.

“I don’t.” she smiled back.

“I always wondered how it’ll feel like to kiss you.” he confessed as he his lips.

She grabbed his collar and pulled his face closer to hers.

“Then stop wondering and just do it.”

He laughed as he tilted his head and finally shared that kiss. The hoots and jeers from the onlookers were deafening. When they were done with the PDA, she raised an eyebrow and asked,

“So? How was it?”

“Better than my imagination. You're jjang. Practice really makes perfect.” He .

“YAH!”

He hugged her closer. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as he said,

“Life began after I fell in love with you. You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, every song I composed.You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since – on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets.

You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with. The stones of which the strongest Seoul buildings are made, are not more real, or more impossible to be displaced by your hands, than your presence and influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be. I love you, Seo Joohyun. I’ll spend the rest of my life making up for keeping you waiting.”

She looked at him lovingly and kissed his lips lightly.

“You are the answer to every prayer I've said. I couldn't have made you more perfect if I tried. You know exactly what I need even when I don’t. I’m not sure how you know me so well, but you do. You know that when I try to push you away, it means I need you even more. And when I say I don’t want to talk, it means I really need to. I’m crazy that way and other guys have given up on me. But you’re still here and I’m not letting you go anywhere. Just thinking about that makes me feel like the luckiest girl alive. I love you too, Jung Yonghwa and I look forward to see how you’re going to make up for keeping me waiting all these years.” She said in response.

He laughed to his heart’s content and just when they leaned closer for another kiss, they felt water being sprayed in their direction. They looked around to see every one Yonghwa recruited for the proposal holding a water gun.

“Sorry. You two were being too mushy. You did give us these waterguns and instructed us to shoot you when the cheesiness gets out of hand.” Jungshin shrugged.

Everyone laughed and the rain poured once again. Well, they’re already drenched anyway. They laughed and played under the rain until such time he wrapped his arms on her waist and pulled her closer to him.

“1021. I love you, Hyun.”

“I love you too Yong. 1021.”

 

 

 

 

 

The end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

I broke my promise once more. Forgive me. This has exceeded Saudade by one page. When the random plot came into mind, I thought that writing it down would be a breeze. I tried to trim the details but as how it always occurs, the page count exceeded. Maybe I’ll be successful with a short one-shot next time. Just not with this story.

I thought about breaking it into mini-chapters but that would mean this would be an ongoing story. I still have two to worry about, so no thank you. Yongseo’s second speech (the life began and you are the answer to my prayers etc) of this are comprised of quotes from the internet, Charles Dickens, and Allie Everhart. It’s just slightly modified to fit in the conversation. I’m running out of the things to include in an I love you speech.

This was a product of reading the book called One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin. So much feels for that novel. I can’t deny that there are similar elements from that which inspired this one-shot. I could enumerate all of it but I’m too tired to do so. ^_^\/ if you have time, then I suggest you to read the book itself. Also, I intentionally switched up their personalities if you noticed.

I tried to come up with another set of numbers but the “one zero two one” just keeps repeating in my head so I had to rack my brains to come up with the meaning behind it. Were you able to guess? I don’t think it’s anywhere near the JSY or the RV initial thingy I made up before but oh well. Like I said, the numbers were totally random.  :D

So…that’s it I guess. I hope you enjoyed reading. It may be lengthy, but I think you’re at least somehow used to my style. Lol. Feedback is appreciated as always .Thank you. Have a blessed week ahead. ^^