Chapter 5

From Awkward Me to Clumsy You

“Isn’t someone an early bird?” Suzy mused as she took the last steps of the staircase that led to the rooftop, her eyes widening at the sight of ruffled red muff of hair lying idly on the cold concrete. She takes a few steps more to the limp figure to get a better view. She concludes from his relaxed (and very much defenseless) figure and even breathing that the boy was in deep slumber.

A devious grin crosses her face as she tries to test her luck. “Just one time, just once.” She testes just how deep the boy was in dreamland by nudging her foot to his side, he stirs twice before snoring. And with that Suzy takes action.

Mark woke up 5 minutes afterwards, his eyes was still etched with sleep, his hair was feeling awfully weird and Suzy watching over him with doe (or was it eagle?) eyes. He scrunches his eyes to adjust his vision to the fading rays of the setting sun. Rubbing his eyes as he began to sit up, he still sees the girl’s piercing stare and obscure grin.

“You did something to me didn’t you-“ he says this while reaching up to feel his hair. And in a blink of the eye, he’s got the hair elastics out of his hair and flicked Suzy square on the forehead.

“Owwwww…”

Mark sighs as throws the hair ties out of his hand “You’d just never let the issue go wouldn’t you?” he inquires as he tousles his hair back to the way it had been before.

“But you’re hair is just so smooth and fluffy!” Suzy retaliates as if her argument was even valid, still rubbing on the sore spot. “And apple hair really looked good on you too.” She adds in a hushed whisper, sparing Mark with a sad glance.

“Well too bad you-“ he was supposed to taunt the girl at how bad she had acted just a while ago, but it seems that he would never have the upperhand with her. With his mouth agape and eyes bulging out of his sockets, he stopped midsentence as his gaze lands on the girl’s phone’s wallpaper.

It was a picture of him sleeping, with the cursed apple hair of course.

“I took it right after I tied your hair.” Suzy beams as she holds out her phone and sticks out her tongue.

And Mark’s dumbstriken expression intensifies even more. He tries to speak as he opens his mouth once, twice before burying his face in his hands as he groans.  Suzy watches him wrench in embarrassment before he straightens up and sighs.  Rather calmly at that too.

“I don’t even care anymore.” He says as he lies flat on his back again.

“Really?” Suzy questions as she perches up in his sight, lips pursed together in a disappointed pout “You took things pretty well.”

“Well yeah, I’m too tired to keep up with your antics anyway.”

“ Bo-ring.” She slurs the word as she flicks the boy’s forehead, and shortly falls in the same position as him.  “Teasing’s no fun when you react so little to them.”

“Geez, this brat-“  he turns his head to face the girl, though instead of seeing the familiar mischievous grin, he sees  her facing the pinkening sky her phone with her hands as the sound of the shutter reaches his ears.

Mark shrinks away from the close proximity and covers his blushing face with his arms, feigning frustrations at all the wrong things.

“ First you take a picture of an unsuspecting highschool senior, whine about wanting to keep the picture, call him boring for letting you have things your way and not to mention flicking him really hard.” He sighs, secretly in relief as he feels his face cool down. “I swear, everything’s a game to you, isn’t it?”

The sound of the shutter stops as she pauses to think about his words. “Well, yeah I guess. I’m still in my second year, so all I have to worry about these days are those forms the school gives out, that’s why I can still leisurely pass my time here after school.” She says this with a chuckle. “Though I do doubt that I find myself lurking around here next year.” She finally says, her voice serious.

“Do you hang out here often?” Mark asks, the only question on his mind right now.

“Yeah.” Suzy laughs “Ever since the start of the year, I can practically call this my sanctuary.” She gives Mark a side glance. “Which reminds me,  how’d you end up here? No one really tours this part of the school, especially for a third year like you.”

“I think I was running away from Jackson at that time…”

“You think?”

“Well, my friends always get into trouble all the time, so I usually run away from them before they get me involved in their mess.”

“You live quite the adventure there my friend.” Suzy muses as she begins to sit up.

Mark smiles at the girl’s choice of words. “Friend.”

The day goes deeper into the night and so does their conversation.

“Funny, I would have never imagined you aiming for law school.” Mark pinpointed as Suzy rolled her eyes.

Had he noticed the heavy sigh and minimal shaking of the girl’s head? Had he suspected that she really didn’t want to go to Law school?

“Thought I was aiming for an Arts University like you, weren’t you?” Suzy sighed as she flipped through a magazine she had been reading.

“Honestly?” Mark inquired before answering. “I had once or twice imagined us being in the same college in a year or so.”

His words causes a flush across the girl’s face and a smitten smile.

“That or you’d only be a highschool graduate who wouldn’t have taken a single step in university.”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she began rolling the magazine in her hands “YA-“ she says, preparing for retaliations.

“Well, we can always keep in touch if, you do happen to end up in Law School.”

Her eyes widen by impulse, almost as if taken by surprise. “You’d still want to contact me by then?”

With that question, Mark hosts up on one arm and gave her a funny look. “Of course I would. Even if you’d probably be sick of me by then and want to dump me by then.” She laughs at the probabilities of how that’ll never happen

“I’ll get out of my way to call or even just drop a text, and I’ll be waiting, hoping that things won’t grow stale between the two of us.”

Suzy only nods, glad that the setting sun had masked the blush on her cheeks.

 

Maybe if he hadn’t said those words, Suzy might have gotten a goodnight’s sleep, instead of staring up at the ceiling, hoping with all her heart that distance wouldn’t get the best of them.

"...So it wasn't just me... "


Haven't updated in quite a while now

Hoped you liked it, hehehe

And  I apologize if it was a bit cringe-worthy

AND REMEMBER: 

Comments make this writer's heart grow fonder <3