Chapter 4

From Awkward Me to Clumsy You

Saturday

“I’ve been waiting you know.” Suzy says that Saturday midday, a slight smile was carved on her lips. She hears the static over the phone as a fairly familiar voice comes through.

“Have you now?” Mark’s voice sounds through the static, making it an octave higher than it usual is. “Sorry about that, I suddenly had some unwanted business to deal with this morning.”

“Oh.” Suzy’s voice rang through his ears, in which he detects a bit of concern in it.

“Yeah, Wild and Chic ies came over demanding I treat them to breakfast.” He laughs casually at the exhaustion over the memory of waking up to grinning faces and severe demands of making them breakfast at 6’o clock in the morning.

To say that his morning was loud and chaotic would have been an understatement; though the words total pandemonium would have sufficed.

“Excuse me?” the girl’s ringing voice on the other line brings him back from his daze. As if a cold bucket of water was poured onto him, her voice served a slapped back to reality, making the boy realized how tainted his words came out.

“Oh, sorry I meant my friends.” Quickly trying to cover up his mistakes, he splutters and stammers with his words, hoping that the girl wouldn’t further misinterpret his previous fiasco. “Jackson and Jaebeom. My friends. They call themselves Wild &y and Chic & y you see.” And deep inside him regrets the choice of friends he’s had over the years.

“A crazy pair you have there, don’t ya’?” Her voice reels him back from the ocean of lament and back into his room, on his bed, and with the phone stuck to his ear. Her laugh rings back and through the static, and Mark finds himself smiling at this.

“You don’t even know the half of it.”

And from then on, after the whole misunderstanding cleared up, the two conversed a bit more over the phone. Side-tracked conversations about how Suzy thought he was a ert and would have hung up if he hadn’t explained quickly enough. How Mark had thought he had told her this valid piece of information the night before. How he was so stupid. And how she was completely right.

Sunday

“Hey.” Suzy suddenly speaks out in the trough and rather draining part of the conversation. “Don’t you think the progression of things between us were rather fast?” Her question was frankly blunt and candid.

“Do you think it is?” Mark responds through bits and pieces of his cereal, though it was rather late to have breakfast at that hour.

“A part of me thinks so, a part of me doesn’t.”

“Then I completely agree with you.” He answers in the same brusque and honest manner as she did.

Her laughs vibrates through his ears. He smiles at the pleasant timbre and resonance that only she can give off while laughing, static or not.

“ You’re aren’t serious, are you?” she inquires with the oh-so playful tone Mark had been so familiar with these past few days.

“I am being 100% serious about this.” He substantiates his point and asks “Though what made you pop the question?”

“Nothing much. Just came to me I guess.” Suzy replies in a meek tone, which sounded so strange for Mark. Who has only seen the outspoken and confident side of her. “I mean don’t people only get this casual with each other after having months of knowing each other?”

‘You have a point.” Mark started out his words with a bit of a slur and he gulps down the remainder of his food “Though, contrary to popular belief. I believe that we still have two days to make up for.”

“Two days?”

“Two days.”

“Care to elaborate?” Suzy on the other line, who was dying with curiosity, pressed the boy to explain his point.

“Okay, Okay. I’ll tell you - ” he takes a deep loud breath, loud enough for it to be on the other line, and unbeknownst to the girl was the mischievous glint in his eyes “-right after I clean up the table.” And after the slur of high- paced mumbling, the boy quickly put his phone on speaker, laid it down and preceded to the sink to indeed do the dishes.

And from there he could hear the numerous complaints and cusses the girl had for him.

 

“I’m sorry.” he said, apologizing for the hundredth time after putting the phone back on his ear, mentally prepared for hell he had just brought upon his self.” I swore, my mom suddenly told me to do the dishes, I had no choice but to follow her.” he added, swiftly lying to the girl

“Though I don’t doubt your filial obligation to your parents, I am deeply disappointed in your ability to make up good lies.” She sharply responded over the phone. “Because you clearly told me that you had been living alone since you started highschool.”

“Oh, so I told you that and not about my friends didn’t I?”

“Yeah you did, surprising isn’t it? Now cut to the chase and tell me about the two day thing.” Her voice was monotone yet completely venomous. Though it seems to be that Mark was rather immune to it and paid no heed to it.

“We first talked to each other on Wednesday right?” Mark asked as Suzy nodded over the line, of course despite not seeing this Mark took the girl’s silence as a yes and continued with his explanation. “And if I’m not mistaken, I first saw you there on an afterschool Monday. I’m sure you understand what I mean by now right?” he asked, a bit too flustered to continue.

“Did we?” Suzy asked in a baffled tone. “You were there on Monday? I thought was alone then.”

“Huh?”

“I only remember first seeing you on Tuesday though. You were there on Monday? Are you sure you have the date right? Because I really remember seeing you on Tuesday.” She repeated over and over again, the same point being made and until the words were beginning to ring in his head.

“Yeah, I was there on Monday.” Mark finally spoke up in the midst of Suzy’s baffling.

“NO WAY! HOW EMBARRASSING! THEN YOU HEARD ME SINGING THEN?! I BET YOU DID. OH MY GOSH, THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING!” Suzy said, acknowledging her own awkward moment that even Mark had no memory of.

“You were singing?” Mark asked rather dumbfounded. “I was sitting a good meter away from you and I was listening to music then-“

“UUWAAHHH! WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME?! THIS IS SO EMBARASSING, FESSING UP TO IT MYSELF – “ she continued on and on, not even stopping to catch her breath.  How did things end up like this? Mark thought humorously upon it and let out a bark of laughter.

“I can’t believe you still have nerve to laugh at me…” Suzy muttered over the phone, obviously taking offense in this.

“Oh sorry. I wasn’t laughing at you, I was laughing at all of this.” Mark explained with another goodhearted chuckle.

Suzy frowned at incomprehension.  This guy better not be pulling a pun on me.

“Please don’t be insulted.” Mark said half begging “This is both awkward for us. You admitting whatever you don’t wanna be reminded of, and me making you awkward.” He bet the girl still wasn’t content though.

“So please stop pouting.” He added with a smile, he hoped the girl could be seeing it. But of course she didn’t and couldn’t.  “You’re smiling right now aren’t you?” he adds, the feeling inn his guts were undeniable.

“Huh?” Szy, says with a bit of defensiveness in her tone.

“You have this,’ don’t feel bad smile’ that you pops out whenever you try to apologize for teasing me too hard or putting me on the edge. Not to forget that it lights up the whole sky and makes everything better,” Mark says over the phone as he begins to lay down on the floor, and sould anyone feel embarrassed by saying or hearing this, these two were out of the question. 

“You’re bluffing now, aren’t you?”

“Bwoh? I did no such thing! I swore the whole sky just lt up just now!" he says despite it being in the midday where the sun was at its brightest. " I’ll prove it to you tomorrow if you don’t believe me!”

And through his playful jabbering he vaguely remembers about the girl crying earlier this week. And he wonders and thinks of just how the pieces of the puzzle just don’t seem to fit with each other.