Chapter 3

From Awkward Me to Clumsy You

Question #1 – What’s your name?

 “Who answers first?” Mark inquires after the girl recited the first question.

“Who does answer first?” the girl purse her lips together and asks herself the very same question, as the very same time. They lock gazes with each other at the coincidence and both break into fits of laughter.

“Rock, paper, scissors on it?” the girl initiated by putting out a balled fist after having her dose of giggles. The boy does the same and copies the same gesture.

GA I BA I BO!!!”

The boy pulled out a rock, and the girl put out paper.

With a triumphant smile the girl repeated the question . “What’s your naaaaaaame?” she draws out the last syllable of the sentence to express her curiosity.

He finds it extremely adorable and gives out a broad smile, not that it wasn’t big enough to begin with.  

“ Tuan Yi Eun.”

“You’re not Korean are you? Possible mix of Chinese?” she inquires and probes deeper. Not that Mark minds anyway, he finds the girl extremely sharp for noticing right away.  He remembers the numerous incidents of people taking his last name for grant and thinking it was only one of the minority of Korean surnames used.

“Taiwanese actually.” He corrects. “And no, no mix here.” He gives her a smile as if to say, ‘You tell me yours now’

“Ahh, I see.” She immediately understands the look and provides the boy the answer. Bae Su Ji. But most of my friends call me Suzy instead.” The answer is more than enough to feed the boy’s curiosity “Not that it makes much of a difference.”

“Not much of a difference.” He agrees with the girl and gives her another smile that says he means no offense.  “Mine call me Mark though.” He voluntarily adds the extra information to stay in par with the girl.

And both has no doubt on what they ought to call each other.

“Now that makes a lot the difference.” She laughs “Next question, Mark?”

“Next question, Suzy.”

Both are on the same line of thought, and purposely cut the honorifics.

 

Question #2 – What’s your birthday?

“September 4, 1993.” Mark initiates. “October 10, 1994.” And Suzy follows.

“You don’t think I should call you sunbae, do I?” she asks with a mischievous spark in her eyes.

“I think you’re tied by obligation of good morals and courtesy to do so.” He says this all seriousness, but breaks out in the end. “Though I don’t really mind whether you call me that or not.”

“I like keeping things casual though.”

“No problem with me.” He shrugs it off with a casual wave of a hand.

Though despite the offhand look both are projecting, they were internally computing each other’s ages.

“So he’s 18”

“She’s 17 huh?”

 

Question #3 – What’s your blood type?

“Blood type A.”  both say in uniform tones.

“You too?” they continue in the same speed

“YAH!” they exclaimed, still in matching synchrony.

 

And this was basically where the sane and normal questions ended, and the quirky ones came in.

 Question #4 – Were you named after someone?

“Well I’m sure I wasn’t named after my mom… What was dad’s name again?”

“You don’t know your own father’s name?” Suzy asks, overhearing him think.

‘Oops, must have said that out loud.’ Mark made a face before facing the girl.  “You see-“ he begins explaining taking in the girl’s amused look, knowing that none of them took the situation seriously.

“My dad has this really complicated Chinese name that not only I, but other people just can’t seem to remember. So we all tend to call him by his English name. Even my mother.” He adds the last part to convince the girl further.

“What is up with you and your family having English names?” she asks for a second time.

“Uhhh… uhhhhmmm.”  He slurs, a bit taken aback by the girl’s blunt nature and how quickly she’s dropped the first topic. But smiles nonetheless at her dead-curious expression. “My father has a long history if migration. He first migrated from Taiwan to America – where he and my mom started the family and where the older sisters were born – then moved from there to Korea where they had me.”

“Woah… that’s some pretty neat situation who have there.” She says and just for a second smiles longingly whilst staring into the sky.

Mark says nothing about this and merely nods his head.

And after establishing the fact the both of them had no idea where their parents’ could have possibly gotten their names from, they moved on to the other question.

Question #10 – Have you ever been out of the country?

“Nope, but I really want to go to Europe and see the –“

“Eiffel Tower?” Mark guessed, and by the way her jaw was slowly agape, he bets he got it right.

“Is is that cliché?” Suzy asks while puffing air into her cheeks, her brows forming into creases.

“No. Not at all, just a lucky guess, that’s all.”  Mark pacifies, not mentioning that it was part of his bucket list to go there too.  

What can he say? He had girly traits due to his sisters’ influence.

 And with that Suzy lightens up and Mark realizes that she was fairly simple and easy to appease –completely opposite the girls he had the displeasure of dealing with for his past 18 years…

“How about you?” Suzy asks, breaking Mark’s train of thought. “Ever been on a trip out of the country?” she tilts her head with a smile.

“Nope. But maybe, in the future.” Mark answers quite vaguely and Suzy catches on with him quite quickly.

“Ooohhh, going all mysterious on me aren’t we? But I bet you’re going to America, aren’t you?”

“Yes. No. Maybe. I don’t really know.”

Suzy laughs and hugs her legs, resting her chin on her knees as she says “You’re really a weird one, you know that?”

Mark takes this as a compliment rather as an insult and replies “People do say that birds of the same feathers do flock together.”

The girl breaks into a wide smile and agrees. “Guess we’re stuck with each other then.”

Question #15 -  Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?

Mark couldn’t help but let out a bark of laughter when he read the question, whilst peering over the girl’s shoulder. “What the hell-“ he spouts, the first profanity he’s had with her around.

Mark Tuan never curses around girl. It was something he learned from his two older sisters, and had grew accustomed to this as he grew up.

Quickly realizing this he covers his mouth and slides away from the girl, with his feet pushing his on the rough concrete of the rooftop.

Witnessing this all in less than a minute, leaves Suzy dumbfounded and unable to comprehend the situation at hand. Tilting her head in complete curiosity she asks the boy “Uhhmm… did I say something to offend you or something?”

Hearing the question, Mark’s eyes widen as big as platters as he shakes his head in total refute. His hands still glued over his lips.  “No, it’s just that I – No damnit, I – No screw it – ahhh, I just give up.” He stammers and tries to go over his words but fails miserably at it.

Suzy vaguely remembers a scene like this in her childhood when her younger brother had been too scared to go to the dentist and had sported a pose like that in the waiting room when it was his turn for the dentist.

Suzy smiles at the memory and the boy who had his head buried in his knees whilst hugging his legs.  His hair was rugged and was exposing his ears – was it turning red, she wonders not sure since it was already getting dark.

“Adorable.”  She says with a laugh as she watches Mark look up with a grimace, and after a moment’s hesitation crawled back towards the girl and plopped down beside her.

Suzy pats his head and ruffles with his hair for a moment or so and asks with a grin. His hair was as soft as she thought it was.“So wanna tell me what that was about?”

And so he told her. And afterwards, she laughed.

“Adorableeeeeee.” She squealed and gave Mark another pat on the head.

“Please spare me the rest of my dignity…” Mark mumbled quietly, but nonetheless did nothing to stop the girl from his hair.

Question #20 – When was the last time you cried?

“Hmmmm… last time I cried…” Mark hummed while biting his lip, not too sure whether he should admit tearing up while watching a part of ‘A Werewolf Boy’ with his sisters.

“I don’t remember.” He swiftly says after a moment of thinking, not that it was entirely a lie – he could have watched it last week, last, last week, a month before or maybe even just the night before when he got hom.

Who knows. Nope. Not even Mark knows. (Meh.)

“Earlier this week.” Suzy says with a hint of melancholy on her face, but erases it just as quickly as it appears, but keeps her gaze locked on the ground not meeting with his eyes. Mark doesn’t say anything, or more rather can’t say anything as all the words he could ever think of gets clumped in his throat and before he knows it, there a thick wall of silence between him and the girl.

Raising her eyes, the girl merely gives the boy a wide smile before she breaks the awkward silence that’s been brewing between the two of them for quite some time that night. “I’m sorry. I’ve just dropped an awkward bomb there didn’t I?” she apologizes but makes no offer to explain.

Mark gives her a playful look as he shakes his head. Not really saying anything. Just giving her a small smile of anything what he hopes is anything but pity.

 

But in all honesty, Mark wants to ask why she cried and why he hadn’t noticed all this time he’s been sitting just a meter away from her. But the look on her face, looks like the face of someone who just wants someone to listen, but still can’t say she wants to say. If that makes sense anyway.

 And after a minute of head shaking and staring, the girl laughs at the boy’s excessive head shaking “Isn’t your neck getting tired already?”  

Mark only shakes his head even harder. He’s happy to hear the girl’s chuckle and even happier to hear that it was sincere.

Because thinks and hopes that this girl can do so much to hide her true feelings that they’re almost transparent to him. He hopes.

And with this, the two continue with the same light – heartedness they had begun the game.

 

And with another set of questions, both hit it off well with the other, the fine border of innocent curiosity and playful flirting were unknown to them.

They ended the night with more than enough knowledge of the other, answering both questions from the magazine and from each other. To top it all off, they exchanged phone numbers as well.

“Don’t be a stranger and give me a call OK?” Suzy asks while stuffing the magazine in her bag, she spares him a playfully curios look, internally hoping that the boy didn’t find her too pressing.

The boy keeps mum for a moment, making Suzy fidget in her seat, but responds not a moment too late to relieve the girl “Don’t worry, I won’t. So you better not act all hot then cold ok?”

“I probably won’t.” she answers vaguely, though Mark doesn’t complain and takes what he can get. “Then, I guess I’ll be off then.” She bids as she got up.

“I’ll be staying here for a bit longer.” Mark responds with an airy laugh, his head and mind up in the sky with the stars and the moon.  “Don’t let me get in your way.”

“Don’t worry you aren’t.” she assures the boy with a thoughtful smile. “Well then goodbye.” She says for the second time already, as she waves and walks away.

And from the corner of his eye, he watches the girl trip over air, and catch herself before her face collided with the floor.

“Should have told her to be careful…” he mumbles whilst shaking his head, a little bit worried and a little bit flustered.


So yeah, I basically just altered Mark's whole biography

Forgive me please.

Anyways ~~~

Let me just say I love you guys for actually reading this!

>o<

Hahahahahahahha