Final

Crush

FINAL CHAPTER

Jessica's POV

June 2013

I looked past the scouts standing beside the principal's office, ready to help those freshmen who are in dire need of help towards their classroom. Oh. By the way, I'm already sophomore and just as always I am late for my class but I'm pretty sure that the teacher would let it go besides it's just the first day of class. 

The door opened automatically revealing a man with sturdy built and ageing features. Must be our homeroom teacher for the rest of the school year. I decided to avoid him and just opened the other door as if I didn't saw him already.

"Hey, Jess.", a woman, smaller than me, rushed to my side.

"Yo. What's the plan?", I raised an eyebrow as I took a look with my surroundings. The students were all standing side by side quietly at the corners of the classroom, leaving the chairs empty. 

"As if you don't know. I'm pretty sure it's for the seat plan.", she grumbled before letting out a sigh and standing straight and proud.

"Okay, guys. I want you to occupy the seats from left to right as I say the names.", he clapped as if he was preparing for a pep rally.

"Jessica."

"Hyoyeon."

"Yoona.", I sat on the chair at the farthest  left beside the window before looking at the faces of my classmates. Well, I'm familiar with the faces of most but there are just some whom I don't recognize like her.

"Tiffany."

......................................

Days later...

"Sica. Would you mind accompanying me again later?", Tiffany asked using her cuteness as a bribe to get me going. Being lazy always have some downsides especially that I can't be at one place for a long time since I always have to be on the run or else I would end up going home late in the evening once again but tell me, how can I say no to a face like that?

I released a deep sigh as I closed my locker loudly, "Okay." I was about to go when I felt two arms wrapped around my waist. LUB DUB. LUB DUB. 'What was that?', I thought to myself before immediately removing her arms away from me and walking briskly towards our classroom with a hand atop my chest.

LUB DUB. LUB DUB. I inhaled and exhaled deeply in an attempt to calm my wild heart. Wait a second, why did it even increased in pace?

We sat on the bench as we eat the pepero I bought from the nearby convenience store along with her. We were sitting closely to one another even though the space of the bench can accomodate at least half a dozen of people. 

There is something about her, I wondered curiously as I stared at her with eyes filled with curiousity. It's something that I can't point out but whenever she is nearby or just a brush of her finger against my skin, I feel the odd erratic beating of my heart. 

"Is there a dirt on my face?", she tilted her head to the right.

'Wait! Wait! What do I do?! What do I do?', sudden thoughts filled my mind immediately. I cleared my throat and break off our eye contact before wiping the invincible stain beside her lips. I wouldn't have removed it if only I didn't hear the voices of our other friends.

..........................

JULY 2013

It was around the middle of the month already and I'm pretty sure that I can say that I figured out what I felt whenever I'm with her already. A crush. Just a simple crush. I held the door opened for her to go through. Well, our classmates had been speculating that we are the new 'bestfriends' in town since the older title holders of it had an argument last week and has not made up yet.

"Sica, we'll go to the Rockband, right?", she fixed her hair whilst waiting for me to wear my backpack.

Rockband is a place known as a hotspot for students who wants to hang out with one another. They allow students to rent a studio for a couple of bucks to be spent in an hour. Inside the studio is a complete set of the rockband game especially bought for an xbox or ps3.

"Of course. You do know that I was the one who initiated this thing, right?", I let out a small chuckle afterwards as I shook my head from side to side. You can say that I am a bad influence but at least I do my homeworks and study for upcoming tests even if i do these kinds of things. 

"Jess, you'll go the rockband with Tiffany, right?", Nickhun, the unknown boy in the class who tries to get along with everyone but cannot, asked. Truth be told, he is our vice president but I believe that he doesn't deserve the position besides I think that he just agreed for the sake of the title. "Can we visit your studio later?", I noticed the darkening pink shade against his rosy cheeks.

"Yeah, sure.", I shrugged, not really caring about what he's saying but don't misunderstand. I act like this with everyone, even with my friends so I'm not really being plastic with him besides we're friends as well. Him and his guys frequently asked me to go with them just for the sake of doing so... I think? But I'm sure there's a reason on why he is trying to get on my good side.

............................

AUGUST 2013

My favorite month of the year has finally come. There are several holidays during this month and a lot of class disruptions like meetings and such so that's the reason on why it is my favorite. Just like the previous month, me and Tiffany is still going pretty strong as friends and along with it is the growing affection I feel for her.

During these days, I assume that she likes me too but I highly doubt it as well since a classmate of mine is already courting her. 

"James....", her voice faded out as I continued to walk along with my other friends towards Rockband, not aware about the fact that she tried to reach for my arm.

.... So airplane, airplane, sorry I'm late
I'm on my way so don't close that gate
If I don't make that then I'll switch my flight
And I'll be right back at it by the end of the night

I was standing beside the door as I finished the last lines of the rap when the door suddenly opened revealing a eye-smiling Tiffany. I noticed the silhouette of a flower behind her before letting out a deep sigh and smiling a little too forcefully.

"Hey guys, I'm just here to get Jessica back.", she said to other which then was replied with groans and annoyed grumbles. She chuckled as she knew that they were just kidding especially that the others also knew about our relationship.

"Sorry but I'll be back later. Need to entertain a fan right now.", I laughed as I held Tiffany's hand and ran outside for my dear life. I hear a loud thud right after the door shut. We both laugh at our silliness before the atmosphere turned slightly awkward once again when we were going downstairs.

"Soooo... You already said 'yes' to James?", I said, silently hoping for her to say no and just say that she doesn't like anyone at the moment. 

"Of course not! How could you even say that?", she grabbed the rose with one hand behind his back before giving it to me to which I hesitatingly hold. "Throw that away. I am in nowhere near wanting to be in a relationship.", she said as she hooked her arm with mine.

For the first time in forever, I did not remove her arm away from mine even though my stomach hurt so much. It kind of felt like it was fluttering but I just assumed that it was because that Tiffany is my crush.

...................................

SEPTEMBER 2013

The roads back to school were as rocky as hell but it didn't matter for the woman beside me. She was sleeping peacefully using my shoulder as the hood of my jacket were worn just like hers. I held her head in place with use of my hand, careful not to wake her beauty sleep.

We were still two hours away from school when she woke up due to the noisiness of the bus. She kept mum about her sleep before listening to music using her nano. I smiled cheekily as I snatched the earphone worn in her left ear. 

"Sharing is caring.", I told her as I took my iTouch and raised it up, urging her silently to pose along with me. We took 3 pictures together full with smiles and wacky faces before she fell asleep once again using my shoulder.

When we got off the bus, I still waitied for her parents to come and fetch her before I went home with my baggage.

.................................

Days later....

"I like Tiffany and I'm planning to confess before the start of sembreak.", Nickhun said to me after revealing the reason on why he was purposely trying to get close to me. Unfortunately for me, I was stupid enough to realize that and I already treated him as my buddy before I got any say in this project.

"Why don't you try and get close to her first? I'm pretty sure that you'll end up like  James if you don't show any effort at all.", I continued to play on my phone as the boys who are involved in the project surrounded me.

"How can I do that?", he rubbed his forehead furiously before smashing it against the chair table.

"Yo, bro. Stop that! You look crazy enough and now you want to give evidence of it.", I pulled him away from the table using his hair. "What am I here for? Of course, I'll be the... bridge.", I hestitated for a while admittedly but does he have to shout out that he'll have her in front of my face?

"Surely, you won't fail me! Tiffany would definitely like my surprise.", he said as he nudged my shoulder strongly as if he was electrocuted. 

I felt my eyes grew hot but I was known for my steel emotions. I never cry inside the confines of a school nor did I have done something completely embarassing but it felt like it'll happen today. Fortunately, I was able to keep a poker face throughout the day.

Tiffany went home early with her older sister thus I was left alone. I walked slowly, slower than turtle, resulting in curses from older people. And for the first time in forever, I despised myself for being too stupid and slow.

.....................................

NOVEMBER 2013

We started to grew apart at the middle days of the month as the day of the surprise grew closer and closer. Well, I was kind of busy preparing for this event even if it isn't mine.

"Will you accompany me today, Sica?", she asked using her cuteness over me. I would've said yes if only I didn't remember that tomorrow will be the DAY and knowing her, she has an extravagant taste in events and if that's what makes her happy then I would be glad to do so.

Over the past few days, there were just so many things to do. Flowers here, balloons there, confetti here, cupcakes there, everything. Yeah, now that I think about it, I am the one who prepared for this whole event.  In fact, the only thing that Nickhun had to do now was play the guitar, sing, confess, and be handsome for the rest of the day.

"Not today, Tiff.", I said before feeling the strong tug on my heart as I saw her pout. "But I can send you off to where you will be fetched though I won't be there to wait for you."

"It's okay! Let's go!", her face immediately light up as she squeezed in her arm in mine. I look at her happy face like the very first time I stared at her. She looks so happy right now, almost unreachable but my heart broke when she called Nickhun's name to say goodbye.

Of course, there's a boy right there. A prince to be exact as Nick has a lot of secret admirers in the school. When tomorrow comes, that happiness wouldn't be my deed anymore instead it would be his and his truly.

..............................

THEIR D-DAY

Wooyoung and the others were entertaining Tiffany as I alone prepared the whole room in a matter of half an hour. From the perfect position of the balloons and the petals that lead to the platform along with candles lit beside it to the simplest things like the human-sized pink bear and chocolates. 

The bear was the hardest to get since it has to be won through a game and I spent almost 60 bucks just for it but I told Nick that it was okay even if he doesn't pay me besides her happiness is worth everything that I have.

I slept with the bear beside me and having my selfish part won over for the first time, I sprayed on my perfume on the bear. I just hoped that she notice it when she receive it and suddenly run away from this place with me in tow.

A teasing snicker escaped from my mouth directed to my selfish thoughts before stopping as I heard the door opened revealing a boy who was dressed up nicely for the event. 

"Hey, guys. Bring her here already.", I called through my phone and in a matter of minutes they all arived with a blindfolded Tiffany in tow. The guys joined me in the corner, leaving a lost Tiff in the middle of the pathway towards the platform.

"Please remove it.", Nick said before strumming the guitar to the tune of 'I'm Yours by Jason Mraz.' The look on her face was definitely priceless and with every step she took, my hopes dimish until it disappeared into an unknown void.

"I, Nickhun Horvejkul, am confessing to you as a sign of my pledge that I am willing to be loyal and love you and only you for forever and a day. This special moment that I present to you and share with my friends...", he pointed to us with his thumb before continuing, "would serve as a stepping stone to a fruitful relationship if ever you accept my confession.", he stepped aside to reveal the bear and chocolates.

Those very words were the ones that I composed just earlier. It was also the very words that Tiffany said to me when I asked about her ideal confession except for the fact that I added in my own sincerity and rephrase the words complicatedly. 

Atop the table we posted two papers there saying that: "If yes then hug the bear tightly." and "If no then take a step back."

I saw her walked closer to the bear and that was the time when I couldn't help letting out small tear escape from my welling eyes. Thankfully, it was dark in the room or else I wouldv'e been found out. With my eagle vision, I saw her smile and hugged the bear slowly. And with that a simple crush had turned out to be the reason why my world is crushed right now.