Chapter 001

The List

Dear 친구,

  365 days ago I was freshman in the most cliché​ school around. I would've been woken up (rudely, if I may add) by my mobile alarm clock at 7:00 am but would rather laze around in the what felt like paradise for a good 15 minutes. Then, I knew it was time to get off my and get ready. I'd Wait the bathroom for my brother, Jackson, which takes roughly another 10 minutes before I get impatient and bang on the door, so when he decides to stop obnoxiously staring at himself in the mirror, I would shower, change, fix my hair, and eat a breakfast of cereal or oatmeal or something bland and boring. It would be 7:45 and my best friend, Eunji, would wait for me and we'd ride our bikes to get to the hell hole that people like to sugar coat as 'school.' We'd meet up with Suho (who we know since like, 3rd grade) and be in school at 8:00 am, no later and no earlier.

  However those were the most miserable parts of my miserable days aside from advanced algebra and eating tuna or turkey sandwich in the corner table in the cafeteria. I'd see the cheer team or the football team or just the hot guys and girls in general make way to the cafeteria with such presence, they were like celebrities and were pretty much handed everything. They lived life carelessly and happy and known. I had no absolute idea what I wanted to be after I left High School but I knew that right now I wanted to be popular.

  Attention came easy to my brother who's a total jokester and unlike most populars, nobody really disliked him unless they were teachers in their 50s and hated all youth in general. Suho came from a well off family but he wasn't a flashy kid and could care less about attention. Suho had a genius sister who graduated as valedictorian last year, she was a total package. Pretty, likeable, and smart which lead her to be adored by teachers as well. Suho isn't really advanced in anything, so he feels pressured all the time that his parents will be disappointed. Eunji's an only child and her dad passed away when she was 11 so her mom is constantly throwing herself a pity party. That makes Eunji really the only person in charge in her house. She relies on Me, Suho, and her occasional visits from her grandmother who she adores. That lady is so funny and full of life and makes Eunji want do big things. I on the other hand have two regular parents that hope to be as hip as their kids one day. They're super old fashioned, and it's super annoying. Eunji and I are both lost causes. We're both simple and plain with no special talents and go around pretty invisible to all human existence. 

  This junior year would be completely different. Everything would be different. Starting with the mornings, I wake up at 7:00 am and shower before Jackson even has a chance to check for any blemishes. After I'm refreshed and awake I head into my room and pick out a totally cute outfit that will make me stand out and accentuates my assets (at least that's what tumblr said to do) and put on some cute but not over the top makeup, and leave my hair hanging off my shoulder making it look like I wake up with effortlessly amazing hair. After I'll have some vivacious breakfast and get a ride with Eunji to school from my brother as he promised as an exchange for chores and math homework till i get a car of my own. But there were some bumps in the road . . .

  I woke up at 7:10 and was rushed out of the shower by my dad, then when I came down for breakfast my mom made a face like she'd smell something vile and Jackson couldn't contain from laughing "What's all that crap on your face!?" He said while trying to keep his cereal down. I looked into the mirror and I couldn't point it out, I had simple eyeliner with some colored lip balm paired with a bright blush and a bright pink eye shadow but then I had realized I look like a 7 year old that was playing with my mom's makeup. "Oh honey..." my mom said holding my face while examining me from angles. I ran into the bathroom and tried to remove as much eye shadow and blush as I could and prayed that no one in school would notice. After removing my makeup I met up with Eunji outside my house and dragged my brother off the table. Once we reached school and I stopped nagging Jackson about the smell and overall sanitation of the car, I saw Suho eating an apple at his usual waiting spot. "Aren't you tired of the same food over and over again?" I snicker while giving him a friendly hug and biting into the apple (vivacious breakfasts aren't very filling) He just laughed, "Haven't you heard? An apple a day keeps the doctor away." He said, taking back his fruit while Eunji replied "Yeah you've told us that every day since 5th grade."

  We walked into the school and I sighed while taking in the atmosphere. Eunji whispered to use "Just three more years." I nodded, I thought of my list and felt a tiny twinge of nervous in my stomach but I knew if I crossed everything off, I'd be everything I hoped to be. "He, what's up with your face?" Suho said while rubbing some red blush off my cheeks. UGH! "Hah! I just noticed! And your eyes look like cake frosting! That's load of glitter." They laughed together as I ran into the bathroom hoping it would be abandoned so I could remove my shame in peace. Of course that wasn't the case.

  Kim Hyuna, captain of the cheer squad and her two best friends, model-in-training (but a bit of a bimbo) Im 'Nana' Jinah and the pretty plus smart girl Park 'Hyomin' Sunyoung, were fixing their hair and giggling about their summer. They looked so cool and I was so stiff, was I even breathing? "Sorry are we hogging the mirror?" Hyomin said to me while making room for me to look in the mirror. "Are you new here? I'm Hyuna and this is Nana and Hyomin. Hope to see you around!" She said while waving goodbye and they left leaving the stalls. They thought I was new? Was I that invisible? "Nice shoes!" Nana said with a grin while accidentally bumping into the other not so nice but just as popular Sunyoung, but she went by Luna. Luna was one of those attractive populars but she gains more fame by being Soojung's best friend. "Does being a total idiot affect your eyesight? Watch where you're going." She said in an annoyed tone and Nana just scrambled off to class. Soojung followed behind Luna and looked me right in the eyes, no emotion. She told me bluntly, "Move." "Huh?" I said, panicked. "I can't see the mirror." She said pointing in my direction. "Okay. Sorry." I squeaked and moved out of the bathrooms in total shame. How was I ever going to be able to intimidate her and cross if off my list? This is going to be way harder than I expected.

Love, Namjoo