Full Circle

that part was yours, but it might just be ours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
LATE 40's

— Full Circle —

 

“Slow down, please!” Yoona pleads desperately, stepping on the hem of her white dress, “Why do you always have to walk so fast?”

He inwardly rolls his eyes and offers his hand, chuckling as she begrudgingly takes it. “I should be asking why you don’t walk faster. Not the other way around, Yoona.”

“It’s hard to walk around in a dress this long, okay?” She sighs, “You don’t have that kind of problem in suits, do you?”

“Didn’t I tell you that you didn’t need to put on that damned dre –“

Yoona shushes him, pressing her finger to his lips, “We’ve been over this last night and this morning and less than an hour ago. I’m not going to have the same argument with you again, for the fourth time.”

Changmin doesn’t enjoy being told what to do but he lets this one slide. After all, it isn’t every day that he’ll get to marry the woman he’s spend half his life loving and the other half regretting. He thinks a part of him has always known it’s going to be Yoona. He’s married once before; settled down, build a home and now he’s about to do it all over again with her. The only difference is that Changmin can picture it all, mostly because he’s spent nights sleeping with ‘what if’s under his pillow.

“Now that we’re actually here,” Yoona starts, still holding up the skirt of her dress, “It actually feels so… pointless.”

They’re standing at the bottom of the steps, hands and fingers intertwined. Changmin’s not sure whose hand is clammy at this point but he knows that after what she’s said, he’s about to break into a full blown sweat.

“Don’t you want to do this anymore?” He gulps, trying to hide his uneasiness, “Get married?”

She swivels around to face him, her lips parted in shock at the question before curving into a small smile. “Do you even have to ask? I’ve always wanted to be the girl at the end of the aisle on your big day.”

Relieved, he asks, “Then why did you just say that it’s pointless?”

“Because it is,” Yoona shrugs, “We’ve known each other for a lifetime – I know you better than anyone else, you know me better than anyone else. We have Jongmin – for God’s sake, we have actually have a baby together. I bore a child in my womb and carried it for nine months! I let you rub my feet and shower me with ! I’ll never love anyone like I love you – ever…”

“But?”

“No buts,” she corrects without missing a beat and squeezes his hand in reassurance, “I just don’t know why we need a piece of paper and a ring to confirm that we’re destined to be together.”

“Destined?” He quirks a brow, “You actually believe in all that?”

“It will probably sound stupid to you but…” Yoona glances at him from the corner of her eyes then rests firmly on the pavement beneath her cream colored heels, “When we were kids, I used to think that the gangly boy I met in the Supermart was ‘The One’ – like it proved something that you kept on finding those lollipops I hid around the playground.” She waves it off and begins to sputter, “I know, I know, really silly –“

“That was you?”

He’s unexpectedly not surprised by this. Of course, he didn’t know it was her but how could it be anybody else? Then he laughs – loud and carefree and the most joyous of laughs. Changmin can’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter