QUART: FIN

Adieu Été (Goodbye Summer)

 

It feels great that someone knows what you need even before you knew you needed them.

 

Remember all those times that Chanyeol appealed for something and everytime he’ll be asked for a reason, it always has something to do with me? At some point I may have looked like someone who’s weak, no mind of her own, and very dependent on Chanyeol because he’ll always be the one speaking up for what I need. It’s true though, I’ll not lie. But to be honest, I’m not proud of it. Not because it’s embarrassing but because it was getting scarier for me. My dependence on him was too much already that I’ll always expect that he’ll be there when I need him. And from the very beginning he knew that I needed him, that’s why he continued to stay until the very end.

 

It had been weeks since I finished my training contract with the Hotel. And upon waking up, I suddenly missed someone. Someone whom I've spent my whole summer with while doing our internship. I'm just glad that I went with the flow because I ended up remembering all these little things without feeling any regret or hurt.

 

But did I fall in love with Park Chanyeol? After having all those sudden realizations, I came to a conclusion that I didn’t. I did not fall in love with him. I may have been attracted to him at some point but it never went beyond that stage. And to be honest I’m actually glad that it didn’t, because the friendship that I have made with him became so precious to me to the point that I don’t want it to be tampered by any other unnecessary and complicated feelings. He’s one hidden gem that I’ll definitely remember until eternity.

 

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

 

My last day has finally arrived. And it’s exactly the Hotel’s Anniversary Celebration. Sir Yunho asked all the interns over the summer, including those who had finished their contract, to help at the event if they are free. I was happy and excited to know that most from our group was available and will be coming back to help out. But one person hasn’t responded yet, the sole person I wanted to see after all these weeks.

 

“Chanyeol!” I heard a familiar voice call me from afar. It was Kyungsoo waving his hand at me. He was near the stage so I was guessing that Sir Yunho assigned him in that area. I, on the other hand, was busy at the techbooth since morning. I couldn’t help but feel a throbbing pain in my chest as I watch our friends and the other interns arrive one after the other.

 

I saw Soojung and Youngji, and they both waved at me. They were talking to Sir Yunho, probably about their assignments. After some minutes, they all went out of the ballroom. The only intern left inside was me and Kyungsoo. I stopped waiting. I lost all hope that I’ll see Gayeon that day.

 

Just then the ballroom door opened again, it was Sir Yunho. My heart stopped when I saw who was walking behind him. It was Gayeon. I kept my eyes locked on her hoping that she will look my way. And I was not disappointed. She turned her head so gracefully and it was like everything went into slow motion. I could see that longing in her eyes as she fixed her look on me. Slowly, her small red lips curved into a smile and my heart stopped again. I missed that sweet smile of hers. It was still as magical as before even if I haven’t seen it in weeks. Of course, I smiled back at her. And I could feel my face get red the longer we stare at each other. Good thing she broke it and started leaving the room with Sir Yunho. Actually, it wasn’t a good thing at all because I just wanted to look at her all the time. Crap!

 

The hotel employees started coming in the ballroom. With everyone dressed up for the formal party, they all looked different. With the women wearing gowns and the men wearing tuxedos, I didn’t know these people could look this fabulous. Wish we were asked to dress up to. I bet Gayeon would look even more beautiful in a gown. Oh my goodness, I am daydreaming again. I should be working.

 

“Chanyeol, the microphones!” the techbooth head reminded me.

 

It was the time everyone had been waiting for, eating time! Sir Yunho let the interns inside the ballroom eat first since there are not enough seats for all of us, unless there’s a vacant seat available. I looked around trying to find available ones so that the interns outside could eat. Alas! I saw three vacant seats just 2 tables away from ours. I told Sir Yunho about it and he immediately called for the others to enter.

 

There she was walking towards their table. But she never looked our way, instead she was looking straight at the stage. How can she not though. There’s a band playing while we were eating. I know how much she easily gets attracted to people playing musical instruments. I followed her until she’s seated. I kept on glancing at her way everytime I’ll look up, even if that means I had to twist my neck constantly.

 

“Please look my way even just once. Please pretty please,” I whispered to myself. I’m aware that Kyungsoo is watching me but I could care less about that. Besides, he probably knew by now what's in my heart even if I told him nothing.

 

And finally, after almost having a stiff neck, she turned her head towards my direction. She saw me, and she smiled again. This time I could see clearer the glint in her eyes, and my heart stopped just like before. Song Gayeon, what did you do to me?

 

All the interns went back to their areas right after eating. And soon after, the program was nearing its end. Sir Yunho allowed us to relax already and enjoy the rest of the evening just like everybody else in their gowns and tuxedos. I grabbed this opportunity to go outside. And there she was standing in front of the registration table with her back facing in my direction. I walked quietly towards her, tapped her shoulder, and for the first time that night greeted her, “hey!”

 

“Hey!” Then she hugged me tightly. I could feel her warm embrace surrounding my body. I couldn’t move. I don’t want to move. I shouldn’t let that hug end at all because if only I knew beforehand, that hug was our first and last.

 

 

And we haven’t seen each other yet again since after that night. The night when I told her that I was actually in love with her.