The End

Balance Me

August 15th

Ryeowook laid on his bed, listening to the pitter patter of the raindrops. The rain hadn’t stopped since yesterday. It was a good excuse to not go outside.

In his hand he toyed with a miniature bike. It was cherry red with the BMX logo printed on the sides. It was one of those vintage toys that you get at garage sales to give to your kids. His father had let him have it for mowing the lawn, and Ryeowook thought it would be the perfect present for Kyuhyun.

Even the name made him want to cry.

Breaking down yet again, Ryeowook curled onto his side. In his feeble position he clutched the little bike in his hands, both wanting to crush it and cry over it at the same time.

He’d messed up. He’d messed up so bad.

First there was the secret which he’d forced Kyuhyun into spilling to him. Then there was demanding he learn how to ride a bike for the sole purpose of taking up more of his time. Of course, the shoving him down a hill, putting a hole in his hand, and then ditching him in the rain. You couldn’t get more messed up than that.

But he was Kim Ryeowook so of course he could. The whole concept of anniversaries itself was stupid. He was stupid. Did he really think making up fake holidays would make Kyuhyun want to spend more time with him? No of course not. The guy always forgot about them. Every single one. No matter which month or week or date; it didn’t take a genius to figure out that he wasn’t interested. It just took an inexperienced nerd like him.

Sobbing silently into his bed sheets, Ryeowook let the pain of a thousand dates wash over him. The sheets were cool so he let them freeze him up.

He had been so worried about how this day would go; their first and only six month anniversary. Well, he didn’t have to worry anymore. He hoped Kyuhyun gave his great aunt a nice song. There was a part of him that hoped that Kyuhyun would come back and forgive him. That was probably also the same part that used to believe Santa Claus was real and that the tooth fairy would one day hire him. Besides, his brother was guarding the front door with a baseball bat. Kangin had never liked Kyuhyun.

So, Ryeowook laid on the bed as the hours flew by. Morning turned to afternoon and soon he found himself too starved to keep lumped up in his bed. Despite his strong desire to punish himself, Ryeowook could not go without food.

Slipping his way down stairs, Ryeowook sneaked into the kitchen. Both his parents were out and his brother was asleep on the couch. He hungrily stuffed cookies into his mouth, not caring what he looked like. When his initial hunger was satisfied, he decided to pour himself a cup of warm milk and sit by the window. The rain continued to splatter down. It didn’t come so much in sheets as in individual droplets. He thought of them as tears. And tears reminded him and sadness. And sadness made him think of heartache which made him think of Kyuhyun which was obviously why he was hallucinating him outside his window in a raincoat and boots.

Ryeowook blinked rapidly, trying to figure out if what he was seeing was real. Then the possibly legitimate Kyuhyun tapped on the glass and that was enough reason for him to check.

“Hi,” his hoarse voice cracked out.

“Hey,” Kyuhyun smiled. It was a real looking smile. “Your brother have his baseball bat with him?”

Ryeowook glanced over his shoulder. “Yeah, but he’s asleep.”

“Great. Could I maybe… come in then?”

Ryeowook frowned. Should he really let a delusion in? That would be like inviting insanity, wouldn’t it? Of course, he’d kind of given that up the moment he started dating Kyuhyun.

“Sure.” He shrugged.

They walked around to the back door where Ryeowook let him in. Kyuhyun pulled off his wet coat and muddy boots.

Ryeowook gestured to the couch. “You can sit.”

Kyuhyun looked where he pointed but shook his head. “No, ah. I just wanted to talk to you.”

“Well…we’re talking.”

“Right.” They stood there silently for a moment. “Look, Ryeongu,” Kyuhyun broke the silence, “I’m – I don’t know what was wrong with me yesterday – Well, actually I do but that’s excuse; I don’t – I wasn’t thinking straight and… I’m sorry.”

Ryeowook stared blankly at him. “You – you’re what?”

“S-Sorry. Sorry,” he reaffirmed. “I’m sorry for snapping at you and yelling at you and just being plain difficult and rude. I’m sorry.”

Ryeowook was now sure he was hallucinating because he had never heard his Kyuhyun say “sorry” so many times before. Not ever actually. But this Kyuhyun seemed so real and was staring at him so earnestly that he couldn’t help but ask to double check.

“What?”

“Are you real?” Ryeowook repeated his puffy eyes wide and innocent.

Kyuhyun almost laughed, but his boyfriend (were they still boyfriends?) looked so serious he couldn’t bring himself to do it.

“Yes, I’m real,” he sighed, “I’m real…sorry.”

Ryeowook blinked at him once then nodded. “Yeah, you’re real.”

“Oh what is that supposed to mean?” He reached out to poke him, but the shorter flinched when he reached out his right hand. Kyuhyun retracted it, remembering the bandages that were there. “It’s nothing, Ryeowook. That doctor said it was fine.”

“I put a hole through your hand.”

“No you didn’t. I put a hole through my own hand.”

“I let go of you.”

“I forgot the brakes.”

“I didn’t remind you.”

“I wouldn’t loosen up.”

“I ditched you in the rain.”

“Look are we just going to argue about who messed up more or are we going to do some making up during the make up?”

Ryeowook blushed. “You came here in the rain to make up with me?”

“No, I came for free cookies. What do you think?”

Ryeowook frowned. “But you don’t even have anything to make up for. I’m the one who screwed up. I mean, I forced this entire anniversary down your throat without even hearing you out about it. You even had other plans today!”

“Sure you did. But that’s just who you are.”

“An obsessive, controlling boyfriend?”

“No, a sweet, well-meaning boyfriend who wants to have a good time but happens to be dating a guy who can’t figure out when to be grateful or get out of the house.” Kyuhyun wandered over and placed an arm around his shoulders. “You taught me how to ride a bike, something my own family couldn’t bother to do, and I didn’t even once say thank you.”

Ryeowook had to actually think through it, but when he did he realized he was right. “I didn’t fully teach you though. You still crashed.”

He waved that off. “Let’s not focus on those details shall we? The point is, you taught me how to keep my balance. So thank you for that. And speaking of which,” he reached into his jean pocket and pulled out two matching chains. “A six month anniversary gift for you to balance out all the gifts you’ve gotten me but I never reciprocated.”

“What is that?” Ryeowook nudged his glasses up closer to his eyes, leaning forward to look at the pendants.

“Ying-yang.” Breaking them apart, he handed one chain to Ryeowook and kept one for himself. “You are the pure with a little evil; I am the evil with a little good. Together, we keep each other balanced.”

The light little chain felt cool in his hands. It was actually a white stone pendant on a delicate necklace, fitting perfectly with the obsidian of Kyuhyun’s. And he loved it.

“It’s beautiful,” he whispered. Ryeowook glanced back up at his boyfriend; the one with the hole in his hand and could only now ride a bicycle. He chuckled. “I guess we’re even now.”

“I guess we are.” They held up their pendants for a moment.

Suddenly a thought occurred to Ryeowook. “Hey! We have another relationship landmark! Our first big fight and make up!”

“Okay, I know I just implied that I don’t mind the anniversaries but are we seriously going to celebrate that?”

“No, but I think we should still make some kind of rule around it though. Like, if we ever have a big fight we have to make up by the fifteenth of each month. Or we can’t fight before the fourteenth?”

“You are insane.”

“And you have a hole in your hand.”

“You ditched me and my hole in the rain.”

“At least I left you your pink bike.”

“It’s a salmon red!”

And Ryeowook laughed eventually getting Kyuhyun to join in with him, because in the end, this was still better than any anniversary he’d ever planned.

 

 


 

So my computer deleted the original ending for this meaning I rewrote it at midnight. It probably makes no sense, so I hope to fix it up.

But yeah, that's the end. This story was lame but I needed something to kick the writer in me back into gear and this is what had to piped out. Thank you for anyone who read all of it!