fifth code

✲ CODE:BREAKER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It’s the same story, a typical ending,

Why are you hiding yourself under that shining poker face?

Knock knock, open wide to the door to your heart,

I’ll tell you only because this is a special secret.”

– Holler, Girls' Generation Taetiseo

“Im Yoona, you are eliminated.”

Gasps of surprise echo throughout the lounge, conveying the players’ massive astonishment upon hearing the host’s announcement. The ones who are affected the most are Lu Han and Krystal. Jongsuk, on the other hand, remains with his bored façade and although Jongdae is disappointed that they have lost a potential player, he could not help but be delighted because his comrade won the death match.

“Miss Yoona, please pack all your clothes and our driver will send you home afterwards,” Suho adds the details. “You are no longer eligible to take part in the final round. You are eliminated.”

You are eliminated. The words sting in Yoona’s ears so much than one could have imagined. However, she knows it is too little too late to regret a thing. She has been eliminated and that is the end. She will be sent home later this night and even though she is deeply thwarted, there is nothing she can do to redeem her position in the game.

“I understand,” she mutters in a weak, muffled voice as she rises from the seat and latches her gaze at the host and soon to the other players.

With that big, triumphant smirk of his, Kai rises and gets lined up next to Jongsuk as everyone has stood up to bid the eliminated player goodbye.

“Do you have anything to say to them before you left?” The host looks at Yoona inquiringly.

She nods. “First of all, I’d like to send my gratitude to this program. Although I have been eliminated in the very first round, I’ve had so much fun here. I’d call it as a lesson. If you want to do something, you should never give up. Give all your best and you will definitely get what you want.” Later, she turns to the host, Suho. “And thanks to you too, Suho. I wouldn’t have come here if you hadn’t convinced me to take part in the game. As you implied, I am one of the chosen ones. Either ‘yes’ or ‘no’ is not a decision. Saying what I want to do from the bottom of my heart is the real decision.”

Suho only grins at her as she recalls his words to her the other day. That is the fact that he cannot even refute. Although Im Yoona has already been eliminated from the game, he is completely convinced that the unwavering, blazing spirit of hers is something that no one could have ever gotten.

Pivoting from the host’s direction and finally to the survived players, only a feeble smile creeps at the corner of her lips.

“Jongsuk,” is the first name to come out of her lips. “We didn’t talk much, but I’m happy to have come across a person I’d never met before. You’re unquestionably cold and aloof. I think we’re same, but seriously, you’re worse than me.” She emits a chuckle and continues, “Whether you’d helped me or not during the death match, I still owe you a lot.”

“I did help you,” Jongsuk pipes up with a rather dissatisfied look. “I gave you a 6.”

“I’m grateful then,” says Yoona with yet another firm smile.

Before Yoona is about to call out Krystal’s name, the younger girl was too impulsive to run after her and loop her arms around her waist.

“Unnie,” she cries and a soft sob escapes her lips, “How am I going to survive when I am the only girl left?”

“That’s what makes you stronger,” she quotes and pats her back as if she were her younger sister. “You have to be like me, Krystal. Although there are a lot of obstacles in front of you, you have to be brave and keep walking ahead. Nothing’s going to stop you.”

“Still, I’m going to miss you so much.” Krystal pouts. “Who’s going to wake me up and tie up my hair?”

“Ask Jongdae to do it on my behalf.”

As if on cue, Jongdae’s face heats up at the sudden mention of his name. Yoona laughs afterwards while the younger girl lightly hits her back for dragging the boy’s name into the conversation. Deep inside, Yoona knows Krystal has a thing for him. One could say that if they see how she acts around Jongdae. It is too obvious.

“Speaking of you, Jongdae,” Yoona says after the hug has been parted. “It was such a short amount of time, but it was really nice meeting you. You were kind enough to teach me some things about IT.”

“No biggie.” Jongdae shrugs, chortling. “I like meeting and talking to you to, Yoona-noona.”

When it comes to the idol’s part, Yoona gets a little bit emotional. The memory of the past death match twirls back to her mind, replaying like an old recorder. “U-uhm, Kai,” she mouths his name awkwardly as she bites her lower lip. “I lost to you and it was really embarrassing. If I had the chance to have another battle with you, it’d be perfect and I could redeem my loss.”

“One day, that chance may come,” replies the idol.

“I hope so.” Her smile deepens. “Anyway, since you’ve won the game against me, make sure to make it far. You have to be the winner. I’m going to watch the broadcast later. If you lost to anyone here, I swear to God I’ll chase after you and kick your !”

Kai only chortles upon hearing her deadly threat. He keeps her words as a promise. He will try to find ways to make it to the top, although he needs to use dirty tricks like he had used before.

The last person before Yoona ends the speech is none other than Lu Han. Somehow, the atmosphere suddenly becomes dark and uncomfortable.

The boy clasps his fingers together and presses his lips together into a thin line as he is waiting for her speech.

Yoona has to admit that there is like a lump sticks in , making her unable to says words to the boy.

She draws her breath deeply before opening .

“Last but not least, to you, Lu Han…”

///

Upon Yoona’s short speech for Lu Han, Suho has gestured her to leave the manor. It is already time for her to head to the boarding house before the driver will take her home.

“I believe it is the perfect time for you to leave, Miss Yoona,” he announces.

Yoona nods her head lightly in agreement and expresses her last words to the remaining players, asking them to do their best and fight to win the final round. Whoever becomes the final victor is not important; as long as they have fun and hilarity, that is what matters.

Kai stops the girl’s footsteps to the open door. “Yoona-noona, hold on.”

“Hmm?” She spins around and a confused look spreads across her feature.

A smirk makes its way on the idol’s plump lips. “Have you ever thought who the one to give you the lowest number of the card was?”

Needless to say, Yoona is left wonderstruck.

///

Contradicting to the past breakfasts at the manor, it is no longer hearty and merry although the variety of food is so many that it could make fifty people’s stomach go full; there are only Lu Han and Krystal at the dining table. Aside from Yoona who had been eliminated last night, both Jongsuk and Kai are out of the boarding house early in the morning.

Last night, after Yoona’s withdrawal, Suho had informed them that they will be given a day off to have a break before they continue the final round. That is why explained why both of them are not here at this very moment. Jongsuk went out to meet his clique meanwhile Kai, has his group’s solo concert at Seoul and it is very fortunate of him that the game is held on for a day. He could focus on his concert today before coming back to the manor once the concert ends tonight.

“Why are you two so silent and not talking to each other?” Jongdae, who has just reached the dining table, breaks the awkward silence between them. He could see they are only tucking in the food without saying a word. They would rather lower their heads than stare at each other’s eyes.

Lu Han and Krystal stir up at the sudden appearance of the boy. They look at each other in shock and confusion.

“What are you thinking about, Krystal?” he questions him cheerily as he grabs a French toast. “You seem pretty much in deep thought.”

“N-nope…” Her words somehow stick in . “I was just sad that Yoona-unnie has gone and left me here alone.”

“I’m sad as well… but don’t let those feelings overtake you,” he advices, “you need to survive, Krystal. That’s the important thing you need to remember at this moment.”

“I don’t feel like playing the game anymore,” she murmurs under her breath, unsure whether the latter hears it or not. “It’s too suffocating and sickening that makes me want to strangle myself…”

“What about you, Lu Han-hyung?” Jongdae rolls his eyes at the older boy. “You’ve been silent like forever.”

He pauses for a chuckle and stares deeply into his orbs. “Your face looks like you’re having a big load on your shoulder.”

“I am.” His response is brisk and yet at the same time, it defines a lot of meaning. “I was thinking about something that I couldn’t figure it out until today. It hurts my head so much.”

He seems to be interested. “What is it about?”

“I’d rather not tell you,” and appears a sigh – a heavy and deep one.

“Last but not least, to you, Lu Han…”

Lu Han turns to her and gives her a questioning look.

“Out of everyone, I think I need to thank you the most because… uhm, you’ve helped me a lot of times that I think I don’t deserve to have them all.”

She sighs. “First, though I was being rather curt and harsh towards you during the main match, you still came forward and offered me a help. I wasn’t thinking so much during that time because I was anxious about the death match. However, when I thought it back right now, you’re indeed a good person. I owe you,” she trails off with sudden appearance of a smile, “a lot.”

Lu Han could not say a word in reply because he is so much in a shock. He has never thought a cold girl like Im Yoona would say those words about him. It is unexpected. At the same time, he feels touched and thinks what he has done to her was worthwhile.

“I hope you won’t forget me because we’re going to meet again later.”

“Huh?” He grimaces. “We’re going to meet again later? What do you mean?”

“You’ll know it, sooner or later,” she ends her speech and gets back to Suho.

He has no clue what Yoona meant before she withdrew. No matter how hard he attempts to ponder, but there is no idea coming up from his brain.

“Are you free today, hyung?”

“Why are you asking?” He tries to overlook Yoona’s matter and sips the glass of warm tea leisurely.

“If you’re free, let’s go to EDEN’s concert. Kai gave us free tickets before he left this morning,” Jongdae says with a bright smile. “Krystal’s joining us as well.”

Krystal nods. “Yes, oppa. I’m going to the concert too.”

“He probably hates me if I came,” Lu Han laughs blandly. “You do know the fact he detests me, don’t you?”

“He wouldn’t mind, I guess.” Jongdae tries to be optimistic. “He did tell me to bring whoever I want so he can’t say a word if I brought you, Lu Han-hyung.”

“I still can’t,” Lu Han politely refuses. “I have an arranged date with my fiancé.”

“You have a fiancé, oppa?” Krystal’s jaw drops dramatically.

Jongdae chuckles in amusement. “I thought you were still single, hyung.” 

“Getting engaged to someone doesn’t mean I’m going out with her,” he says. “It’s an arranged marriage and for my parents’ sake, after all.”

///

After the end of EDEN’s Lost Planet Concert in Seoul, Jongdae and Krystal do not go home right away. Instead, they are heading to the idol group’s waiting room because Kai had texted Jongdae during the last minute of the concert to drop by there for a minute.

At first, the pair is blocked the several security guards who are guarding the area as they think they were some sort of EDEN’s fans who are trying to break into the premise and meet their favourite idols. However, Jongdae and Krystal manage to escape after getting official permission from Kai.

As soon as they have found the correct waiting room, they do not hesitate to barge into the room regardless of what awaits them inside.

“There you are,” Kai speaks as he catches a glimpse of the pair walking inside the waiting room. He is in the midst of getting his sponsored clothes and accessories taken by the coordinator.

A satisfied smile graces his lips. “I thought you wouldn’t have made it here.”

“Well, I promised you I’d be here, didn’t I?” Jongdae winks. “And I brought Krystal along!”

The idol instantly turns to the long-haired girl next to his roommate, who has been literally mute ever since both of them got into the waiting room.

“It’s unexpected for you to come here, girl,” says Kai with his significant smirk. He does not know why, but he always tends to tease the girl whenever they meet. It feels like a steadfast habit. He likes seeing her retort to his sarcasm with such an annoyed, grim look.

“Jongdae asked me to join along,” she replies flatly, the constantly discontented look presents across her face. “If I had things to do today, I wouldn’t have thought to come here.”

Trying not to lengthen the amount of teasing, Kai opts for a safe closure. “Whatever.”

“Where are your other members, Kai?” Jongdae looks around, but to no avail. He cannot spot any of prominent faces inside the waiting room.

“Oh, they’re currently–”

Kai’s words get unfinished as the door is knocked and two young, handsome men stride in the waiting room with casual clothes.

“Here they are!” With a joyful grin, Kai gestures his group members to stand next to him.

“What’s this with these people and cameras?” Daehyun’s gaze lingers at the massive amount of strangers in the waiting room that he has no idea who they are. He could not help but be squeezed with bewilderment.

“These two are the players in the game show I’m currently participating, hyung,” informs Kai to the main vocalist. “And behind them are the staffs of the game show consisting from head of the staff team, scriptwriter, camera

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter