Chapter 02`

Autumn Wind

School is tiring. Everyday is the same thing over and over. I don't understand what exactly I'm working for. It's like I don't have any long term goals for myself.  Right now, I'd say my goal is to just get into a good university. But then, it's more of a goal my parents made for me and I'm just following through with it.

I opened front door and noticed a pair of red converse. Byeol must be home. There were papers scattered out on the dinner table. I picked up a piece, it was Byeol's math homework. When was 4th grade math this difficult? Quadratics already? Teachers are seriously pushing their students to the limit nowadays.

"Unnieee ! You're home!" Byeol screeamed. I placed down her homework and walked towards her by the television. "Byeol are you hungry?" I asked. She shook her head at me and pointed to the kitchen. "Unnie, I've already heated up the leftovers from last night." She said. "Are you going to go to work tonight again? I don't want to stay home alone.." 

I feel terrible leaving Byeol to stay at home, but then I had to earn some extra cash. I don't want my parents to overwork themselves. They come home an hour after I leave the house, so Byeol isn't alone for that long. I want Byeol to have a normal childhood just like any other kid, but I feel that this family is making her grow up much sooner. She doesn't complain...much, and can pretty much take care of herself. Actually, she takes quite good care of me when I'm supposed to be taking care of her since I'm older. Seeing Byeol smile is the highlight of my daily life. 

Honestly, I don't have  much to ask for. I just want Byeol to be happy. She's the most important person in my life. 

I hurriedly went upstairs and showered. I came back down with my work uniform on, and I see that Byeol was already fast asleep infront of the television. She looked so peaceful. She's like an angel. 

I carried her upstairs to her bed. The couch wasn't comfortable to sleep on anyways. Right when I tucked Byeol into bed, I could already tell that she wasn't really asleep. Probably a sister's instinct. I didn't have time to burst her bubble, so I gave her forehead a peck and closed the door behind me. 

 

Ugh. Time to head to work, before I'm late again and they deduct my pay. I quickly tied my hair up into a pony tail and put on my cap. I swear the restuarant should pay my extra, I'm legit advertising for them for free. My cap says "Kimchi House", my shirt says "Kimchi House". I'm a walking advertisement. 

The restuarant seemed more crowded than usual. I ran back and forth from the kitchen to the front, bringing out orders, and taking orders. It was hectic. There needs to be more employees. 

"Bill please!" A customer yelled. "Nae!" I replied. I ran over to the cash register to get their bill. I walked over with the bill in hand and for god sakes, they reaked of alcohol. 

"The total is 43,500, would that be cash, credit, or debit?" I asked. A customer grabbed my hand, "Ahhh you're so pretty, what's your name?" I pulled my hand away. "Sir. The total is 43,500, would that be cash, credit, or debit?" I said slightly annoyed. 

"Your voice sounds so sweet. Is it like that in bed?" I began to feel uncomfortable. He grabbed my hand again. I quickly flung it off. I repeated myself once more, "Sir it's 43,500." I'm pretty sure at this point, my tone sounded mad. The group of drunk men began laughing. It irked me. 

I turned around and tried to get another employee take their bill. I felt a person grabbed onto my arm and tugged me backwards. I fell back and ugh. The reak of alcohol is about to make me puke. He held me by the waist. I felt disgusted. As I struggled to get up his grip tightend. I felt like my tears were forming. Today has to be the worst day of my life. 

Everyone seemed to be staring... but no one is doing anything to help. I felt a strong grip pull me up and out of the the drunk man's grasp. My vision was blurred, but whoever it was I am thankful. Very thankful. As a matter of fact, I'll even buy that person dinner. 

"Ya! Shouldn't you guys be disgusted. All of you look old enough to be her dad." That person yelled. "This is a restuarant, not a bar. If you're going to around, I wouldn't mind calling the police for you." 

The person had a strong grip. I felt like my hand was about to go numb. I rubbed my eyes with my free hand and I saw a familiar figure. He was blonde and his back looked familiar. 

The group of drunk men mumbled and left 50,000 on the table. The blonde guy turned to face me. He was the yearbook guy. What was his name? Byun? Bumsoo? I forgot. His expression scared me. Then he smiled. It's as if he was two different people. Before he looked.... serious, now he seemed so bubbly. I just stared at him. "Uhm... my hand" I awkwardly said. 

He looked down and quickly let go. "Oh. Sorry." He chuckled and scractched the back of his head. To be honest, he was quite attractive when he smiled. Right when he let go, I felt my blood rush to my hand.  

I hurriedly cleaned up the table and brought the bill back to the cash register. The yearbook blondie didn't leave. He just sat there at the table. 

Throughout the night, there were times I felt his stare. Maybe it was just me, being self concious. It was 10:15 PM already, and the restaurant began clearing up. He was still sitting there. I don't know if he knew or not, but we were going to close in 10 minutes. I walked up to him and said, "Sorry to disturb your meal, but we are closing soon." 

"It's okay." He paid, got up and left. The food he ordered, he never even touched. Weird. 

I cleaned up the restaurant a bit and wiped the tables. Right when I was about to lock the doors, I saw that the blondie was standing outside. "You didn't leave yet?" I asked. I didn't find him creepy or anything. Maybe just weird. He shook his head. 

"Why are you standing outside?" Normally I don't talk to people, but I didn't find it uncomfortable talking to him. It felt rather natural. He didn't answer me. "Your name is Jiae? Nam Jiae?" He asked. I just nodded my head. 

"Well.... I'm going to go now. Bye." I said and walked. He trailed next to me. "I'm walking this way too." He said. I just nodded. The awkward tension grew. We weren't talking. We were just walking together. Honestly, there wasn't anything to talk about. We didn't know eachother. If anything, we just met. 

Eventually we stopped in front of my house. I didn't know if I should say anything. I just looked at him and walked up. It seemed like he was walking me home. He didn't leave until I walked in. 

Now that I thought about it. I still don't know his name. I just know that he's in yearbook. Oh well. I showered and took out my homework. Surprisingly, there wasn't anything assigned. Still, I flipped through my notes. 

I took out my phone and called Minah. I told her what happened at work. She sounded legit worried. 

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? How do you feel?" She kept asking the same things over and over, although it could get annoying... I appreciated that. I know that I could rely on her through thick and thin. 

Sometimes it just feels nice to know that there's someone out there who cares for you. I'm not looking for sympathy. I don't want anyone's sympathy. It might seem like it, but I just want to talk to someone sometimes. It relieves my stress. 

When I hung up. Minah texted me. "Jiae-bb Goodnight!" 

 

I woke up the next morning feeling sore. It was probably from the pushing and pulling last night. Ugh. Luckily I only work every other day. I get to relax after school. When I changed into my school attire, I noticed a huge bruise on my waist. It looked horrid. It was purple and the size of half my hand. I touched it a bit and for the name of buddha. It hurted like hell.  Luckily it's on my waist, so it wouldn't show. 

Surprisingly, I got to school early today. Even the guard was shocked. He didn't have to open the gates just for me, because I'm usually late.

I grabbed my books and sat in the cafeteria. 

I saw the blondie grabbing breakfast. I don't know if I should say anything. I didn't even thank him yesterday, now that I think about it. I think I came off as rude. Did I? 

I was sitting alone waiting for Minah to come to school. The blondie got his breakfast tray and sat in front of me. Ugh. This is awkward. For god's sake, I don't even know his name. . . 

In my mind the only thing I could think about is when Minah will come. This awkwardness is killing me. I wouldn't mind if Kyungsoo came right now either. . . 

I looked up at him, and he was just staring at me. The awkward eye contact... "Uhm.. thanks for yesterday." I said. He continued to look at me and didn't say anything. Then he just chuckled. "It was nothing." 

Luckily for me, Minah showed up right now. Bless her soul. She's my savior. She plopped herself next me. He looked at me and then at him. "Did I come too early? Was I disturbing you?" She nudged. Quickly I replied "no!" 

...Great. She made it more awkward. "Was he the blondie from yesterday?" She asked. Oh god. This is emabarrassing. He looked up from his food, like he was curious about what we were talking about. "Blondie?" He asked. 

"The one that practically saved her yesterday! Was it you?" Minah clasped her hands to her cheeks. I wanted to dig a hole and hide it in it right now. He's going to know that I talked about him. Ugh.  I looked at him, he looked back at me. He smiled. "Blondie? I have a name." He said. 

"Well... Jiae never told me your name." Minah responded. Oh my god. Someone please shut her up. He looked at me again and asked. "You forgot my name?"  

I felt my cheeks burn. I couldn't look at him no more. This is too embarrassing. I looked down at my lap and just shook my head. "Ahhhhhh, Jiae are you shy?" Minah poked me. This couldn't possibly get any worse. I thought she'd come and save me, but nope. She made it worse. 

I heard him laugh. "Well it's Byun Baekhyun." He said. So... I was right. It was Byun something. Baekhyun. I'll take note of that. 

I couldn't lift my head up. It was just embarrassing. Minah. Why?! What did I ever do so wrong to you?! 

I don't know how long I've kept my head down. Then Minah poked me. "He left." I peeked up a bit and it was true. He was gone. I glared at Minah and all she did was laugh at me. "Look at you, your face looks like a tomato!" She continued to laugh. 

Kyungsoo plopped himself next to me. He asked, "What did I miss?" At this point I was so fed up. I just got up from my seat and walked away. 


Welp I finally updated. (: Please comment what you thought about it!