Chapter 1

Bulletproof
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Singing. It's the first thing Tiffany hears as she enters the building. Loud singing. Powerful singing. The sound enhanced as it echoes off of the walls.

 


And it doesn't take her a second to realize who the voice belongs to.

 


She walks leisurely down the hall toward the dance studio, enjoying the fierce, yet melodic tone. When she makes it to the door, the song reaches the chorus.

 

 

Geudaeman bomyeo seoitneun geolyo~

 

 

Then Tiffany enters, the sharp creak of the door causing the singer to halt, turning to look at the intruder. Eyes soften when they focus on Tiffany.

 

 

"Oh, it's just you."

 

 

"Taeyeon."

 

 

"Fany, I'm kind of busy right now."

 

 

"You're singing in a dance studio."

 

 

"It sounds better in here."

 

 

Tiffany shakes her head. "I mean, why are you even singing in the first place? Your voice gets strained enough with all the live performances you do. You should use this time to rest."

 

 

"I have to get better." Taeyeon answers, taking a seat at a nearby stool, grabbing the water she left at the table and gulping it down.

 

 

"And why is that?" Tiffany questions, leaning in the doorway.

 

 

"I just have to." Taeyeon says shortly, and then goes to continue where she left off.

 

 

I sarang hooen nan jal moreugetseoyo~

 

 

"Is it about Jessica?" Tiffany asks knowingly, successfully stopping Taeyeon.

 

 

"No." She says quickly, her gaze downcast.

 

 

"You're a bad liar, you know that?"

 

 

"Look, Fany" Taeyeon starts, her tone is calm but her expression is anxious. "We've both heard her sing. She can reach notes as high as I can."

 

 

"So?"

 

 

"So, we've been pit against each other!" Taeyeon exclaims. "The media, they're already comparing us. It won't be long until they start saying who's better than the other, and Fany, I don't want to end up on the lesser end."

 

 

"This is ridiculous, Tae. You don't-"

 

 

"She's already stated that she wants to meet me, and that's practically adding fuel to our fire!" Taeyeon continues, cutting Tiffany off. 

 

 

"Taeyeo-"

 

 

"If I lose my edge to her, I just...I don't know!" She proclaims, once again shoving Tiffany's speech to the side. "It's so easy to be replaced in this industry. The next thing I know, she'll be the nation's little sister, and I'll be...I'll be the nation's grandmother! That's old news, Fany!"

 

 

This time, Tiffany doesn't speak, allowing Taeyeon to prolong her rant.

 

 

"I've finally made it to where I've always wanted to be. I'm on top, and I'm not gonna let that get taken away from me."

 

 

Tiffany then goes to take a seat beside her best friend, placing a soothing hand on her shoulder.

 

 

"You were always so.." She pauses looking for the right term. "Determined, when it came to competition."

 

 

Taeyeon lifts her gaze to eye her questioningly, and Tiffany takes that as invitation to go on.

 

 

"There were so many instances when we were younger," Tiffany smiles as she reminisces. "Like that one time we were playing kickball in physical ed. You were so viscous, and you threw countless mean comments at the other team. But our team ended up losing, and you cried

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter