Episode 8: Honeymoon – part 2

WE GOT A BABY!

 

The sky was hardly bright as the couple entered the train station. Though the husband was wide awake, the wife, on the other hand, was dozing off every chance she had. Her eyes were barely open and she was leaning onto her husband for support. Even though she tried countless times to rub the sleep from her eyes, she couldn’t find the energy and motivation to leave dreamland.

“Where are we going?” Jimin slurred her words. Even though she was sleepy, her curious character was still going strong.

“Forget about that and sleep on the train.” Taekwoon replied, not intending to tell her their destination.

Too tired to argue, Jimin nodded her head and Taekwoon helped her to plug in her headphones – one, to help her sleep better, and two, to prevent her from hearing any broadcasts that the station might have that will give away their destination.

As soon as they were settled on the train, Taekwoon assisted Jimin to her seat and draped a thin blanket over her – the air-con was on and he was afraid that she would catch a cold while sleeping without anything to cover her. The girl fell asleep immediately as her breaths evened and her body stilled.

Taekwoon sat in his seat, a little disappointing that his wife as sleeping, but nonetheless was excited for the upcoming events in their trip. He took out his own set of headphones and plugged them in. After creating a quick playlist on his iPod, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the melodies that were flowing into his ear.

 

 

Two and a half hours later, the bullet train came to a stop. Just as expected, the speed of the train was no joke. For Taekwoon, when he was awake, he was able to see the landscape far away, but it was impossible to see the small details that were near the train itself because it was going at such an immense speed.

Jimin got off the train with the help of her husband and her eyes widened as soon as she saw the sign in front of her.

Welcome to Kyoto, it said.

She turned to her husband and asked him whether or not he knew beforehand since she realised that she had fallen asleep too soon to see what was going on around her in the train.

“No,” Taekwoon answered. “I only found out half way when there was a broadcast in the train saying that we were twenty minutes away from our destination.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Jimin whined. If she had known earlier, she would have spent some time on the internet to look the place up. She would search for things to eat, things to do and places to go.

“You were sleeping.” Taekwoon replied. “I didn’t want to wake you up just to tell you that.”

Jimin pouted. “But still…”

Taekwoon sighed. “Alright, alright, I’m sorry for not telling you.”

“Too late now!” Jimin glared at her husband and unknowingly, her childish side appeared again.

 

 

After leaving their luggage to the takyubin service, a luggage transport service provided by the hotel or other means of accommodation, the couple immediately left to explore the area.

As Jimin had slept all the way throughout the journey, her energy level is at its highest and she was more hyper than ever. She made it very difficult for Taekwoon to catch up to her in terms of hyper-activeness, since he was more of the laid-back type of person.

The first place they stopped at in their mini exploration of the area was a shrine. Although it wasn’t the main one that everyone in Kyoto went to, it was local enough to have signs in English, telling foreigners about the place. Since it was still quite early in the morning, there wasn’t many people around and therefore, they were able to see the whole place without having to worry about disturbing others.

The keeper of the shrine had approached them and asked if they would like to write something on the small wishes board, either as a memento or to genuinely wish for something. Jimin was delighted to be given that chance and thanked the keeper for the offer.

“What did you write?” Jimin asked her husband as soon as she saw him putting down his pen.

Instead of answering her, like every other time, he showed her the small wooden broad.

“Health and longevity.” Jimin read with a knowing smile. “Is that all?”

“Nothing is more important than that.” he replied and Jimin seemed to be very satisfied with his answer.

Though Jimin was about to hang her board on the bigger one near the entrance of the shrine, the look in Taekwoon’s eyes stopped her from doing so. She obediently handed her wish board to her husband.

I hope that everyone’s wishes come true. Health is the most important thing, as well as longevity. I hope that we will be happy and that our new addition will be happy too!

Taekwoon smiled. The message was exactly her style and anyone would know that she was the one who wrote it. The words were full of positivity and full of hope – just by reading this message would cheer one up easily. Plus, the things she wrote was bizarrely very similar to his own, making him ten times happier.

Together, they hung their messages on the bigger board. Being the curious girl she was, Jimin took the chance to read some others that were there as well, and although she wasn’t able to read a lot of Japanese, she knew that everyone who had wished for something had a good intention and heart. She smiled from the bottom of her heart at that thought.

After staying in the shrine for a little while, they set off to another place, and for some weird reason, they ended up at an entrance of the entertainment district, also known as the red light districts. Though she was curious, Taekwoon as well, Jimin suggested that they do not go there, for the sake of the show and their own wellbeing. She thought it was a shame, honestly, but maybe in this case, ignorance is bliss. She continued with that thought and finally let go of the fact that she wasn’t able to see the most interesting part of the area.

 

 

The day was eventful, especially after passing the red light districts, and the couple arrived at the ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) exhausted and hungry. Upon arriving, they were led into the room that was kindly booked by the staff (this part Taekwoon did not plan). As they entered, Jimin had a feeling that the room would most likely be too big for them. And she was right. It was a large double room that could easily fit at least ten people inside with extra space to spare.

Jimin’s mouth fell open. She was so surprised to see the interior of the room and apparently, it was the best in the whole inn.

“Please enjoy yourselves.” the worker told them in Japanese and although neither husband or wife could understand the language that well, they nodded and thanked the worker before letting her leave and close the sliding doors behind her.

As soon as the door had clicked, indicating that it was closed, Jimin let her bag fall on the floor on that every spot and ran off to explore the room, just like how she did when she first entered their newlywed house. Taekwoon shook his head as he picked up the bag Jimin had dropped and left it on a nearby table.

Jimin stopped at a pair of sliding doors that were made with stern wood. Out of curiosity, she applied some forced and slid the doors open. In front of her was a private onsen (hot spring bath) that was big enough to fit at least three people in it. Though there was no water in the bath yet, Jimin’s mind was full of thoughts about being in the bath and enjoying the hot spring water running on her skin.

I’m definitely going to try this!

The movement behind her broke her from her trance. She turned around and saw that Taekwoon was standing behind her, looking at her smiling face. His eyes then wandered behind her and settled on the wall that was opposite to them.

Jimin frowned in confusion. “What is it?” she asked.

Taekwoon gave her a nod towards the wall and walked towards it. “This is moveable.” he replied.

“What do you mean?” Jimin followed him.

Without further ado, Taekwoon sprang into action. He easily lifted the centre piece of wood and somehow managed to slide it across to the other side, where he ended up putting the other panels of wood as well. In the end, he had taken the wall away and view in front of them was incredible. The landscape in front of them were to die for – no wonder why this particular room was so expensive!

The room overlooked a small, narrow valley that had all sorts of trees around it. Though they were literally in the open, it felt like they were given the highest level of privacy. No one would be there in the woods to see them and since the room was at the end of the corridor, people rare pass their room, making it even quieter and tranquil. 

“Wow.” Jimin breathed. “I would have never figured that out!” she laughed.

“I know.” Taekwoon replied with a slight smirk.

Jimin shot him a glare. “You did not just say that.”

Taekwoon rolled his eyes and shrugged. He raised his eyebrows at his wife and walked away, out of the room, leaving the girl alone in the onsen room.

“Yah!” Jimin’s voice was heard from where Taekwoon was standing in the small living area. He chuckled at her childish actions before he proceeded to look at the food menu on the coffee table. Damn, he was hungry.

 

 

“Oh!” Jimin steadied herself after bumping into another body. She opened her eyes and saw that the person she bumped into was none other than her husband, who was also dressed in the traditional yukata that the ryokan had kindly prepared for them.

“You alright?” Taekwoon asked as he slowly let go of her arms that he was holding.

Jimin nodded. “Yeah, thanks.” she lowered her head slightly. To others, it might have looked like she was checking for any injuries on herself but for her, she was embarrassed that she slipped so easily that Taekwoon had to grab a hold on her. What if he didn’t catch her in time, then she would have fallen over in front of him, which will be ten million times more humiliating.

“How was the bath?” Taekwoon asked, as they took a seat across each other at the dinner table.

“Oh gosh, that was the best bath ever!” Jimin couldn’t contain her excitement over her trip to the private onsen in their room.

As soon as she got into the bath, she felt like crying tears of joy. The water wasn’t too hot for her liking and the flower essence she had added in previously was at its peak in terms of fragrance. She leaned back onto the soft padding in the bath and closed her eyes, letting the water soak her skin. Throughout the bath, she sighed in content multiple times, wondering why the bath in her house wasn’t even close in comparison to this one.

“I really want to take this home.” Jimin said dreamily.

Taekwoon chuckled as he shook his head. He consciously looked over at the door, looking as if he was expecting something to come soon.

“Oppa?” Jimin tried to get Taekwoon’s attention. The said male turned his head to her. “What are you looking at?”

“Nothing.” Taekwoon said. “It’s supposed to be here soon.”

“What is?” Jimin knitted her brows.

“Th-“

A couple of knocks where heard from the door before it was slid open by two females; they were both on their knees. Jimin blinked at them.

“Good evening.” One of them said in Japanese. “We’re bringing in your dinner.”

“Please do.” Taekwoon replied in his simple Japanese.

Following his words, the staff stood up and opened the door wider, letting the other female bring in a tray of food. She placed the tray on the dinner table, where the couple was seated, and laid the food out in a particular pattern. The staff repeated the process for a few more trays until the table was full. Before they left, they wished the couple a nice meal and bowed.

“Wow.” Jimin said as she looked at the tableful of food. “Did you order this?”

Taekwoon looked up from the food. “Yeah, when you were in the bath.”

Jimin grinned. She was so pleased with his thoughtfulness and care towards her. “Thank you! I’ll enjoy this meal!”

Taekwoon hummed in response. He picked up his chopsticks and wondered where to start, though Jimin looked like she had no trouble with choosing because the first thing she went for was the salmon sashimi that was placed in the middle of the table. The piece of fish entered and soon after, she squealed in delight because of the delicate taste of the raw dish. Taekwoon smiled before starting his meal as well.

Though they were busy eating, they didn’t forget about talking as well. It was different from when they first met each other. Now that they have spent a reasonable amount of time together, they were able to talk about anything and everything, from the food they were eating to something that was going to happen in Europe. Even Jimin was surprised at how far their conversation was going and how much Taekwoon was saying. Before, his sentences would be broken up in sections, as if he didn’t want to talk to her but now, he was talking as if he was excited to speak, as if he wanted to talk to her.

 

 

After the delicious dinner, Taekwoon and Jimin sat on the small platform on the balcony in their room. When the female staff came back to collect the used dishes, they informed them about a firework display later on in the night. They were also told that they would be able to see the whole display from their room, saving them from having to go outside and then back again.

As their legs were dangling on the edge of platform, Jimin happily kicked around, humming some kind of upbeat tune to fully showcase her excitement for the fireworks. When she started humming a song that both she and Taekwoon knew, the latter started to hum along with her and before they knew it, they were having a mini karaoke session on the balcony, without music, of course.

The sky was dark but the moon and the stars were illuminating the night. Though it was only the two of them in the room, they were the best companion at times like this. Singing random songs and laughing at irrelevant things made time fly even faster than when they were going around the attractions. Soon, there was a broadcast that signed the ten minute countdown to the firework display.

“I’ve never really watched any firework shows before.” Taekwoon said, leaning his elbow on his thighs.

“Never?”

“I have seen fireworks before but not like this.” he replied. “I’ve never watched it specifically. It’s always like I just happen to be there while there’s a show going on, or I just happen to catch a glimpse of it while going somewhere else.”

Jimin nodded in understanding. “It must be tough on you, being busy all the time.” she said. “I mean, you would miss so many things, and most of all, rest.”

Taekwoon softened. She sounded genuinely worried about his health rather than just saying those words to look good in front of the cameras and whatnot.

“It’s fine.” he said. “I’m doing what I love so I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of this.”

“It’s the same for me.” Jimin smiled. “I mean, I love music so much that I can spend my whole life doing it but I just feel so bad that I haven’t been home for so long.”

“Do they live far away?” Taekwoon asked.

“Three hours.” she answered. “But it’s not always easy because they have a business to run as well.”

Taekwoon hummed. “You know, you make me feel really lucky now.”

Jimin tilted her head. “Why?”

“My dorm is close to my parents so I can pretty much go there when I’m free.” he said, though he immediately regretted it because it made him sound as if he was boasting.

Jimin sighed. She didn’t take Taekwoon’s words in the wrong way but instead, she was happy that he decided to share that piece of information with her. She felt she was filial enough to her parents, since she only managed to meet them once every few months and each meeting will only last a couple of hours long.

She sighed again. She had her face in her palms as she stared into the space in front of her, though because it was quite dark, she couldn’t really see anything.

Just then, bright lights were filling up the sky and loud explosions were heard. The fireworks had started. The couple sat and watched in silence, though they were equally as amazed at the different colours and designs. A smile was painted on Jimin’s face as she gradually forgot about being upset over her situation with her parents.

Taekwoon spared a second and looked at Jimin. He saw how happy she looked and how the fireworks were being reflected in her glossy eyes – he had a feeling that if they were to continue with their previous conversation, she would be tearing up and would end up crying. But right now, the tears in her eyes were making her look fragile, but not weak. It made Taekwoon have a sudden responsibility to protect her. He smiled, knowing that there was at least something he could do for her.

 

 


TT^TT Again, I’m sorry for the irregular updates! I don’t know when I’ll be able to write again but I hope you’ll continue to support me!

Please do leave comments below, they really do make my day, seeing that little world icon in the corner of the page going orange makes my heart go crazy XD

Love you all~ ^0^