Two

A Beast's Story

Seoul University, December 2014


“For today’s lesson’s class, we’re going to talk about the theory of Psychopathology”

The on going sounds in the Psychology class died down as each of the student prepared their notes and focused their attention to the professor who was now scribbling the material for today in the black board.

One boy silently placed his present amongst the other 50 students in the class, eyes sharp and cold, gazing at the professor who was by now started his introduction on the so-called Psychopathology.

A small smirk was curved onto his perfectly arched lips that was considered a master piece to all of the female population in the campus who was by now noticed to have taken a largely more interest difference to him than to the money their parents had paid to listen to what the professor’s was explaining.

Twirling his pencil between his fingers in a cool way that receive a whispers of awe from the girls, he found his eyes was fixed onto the professor’s lips, almost in a way that it was reading to whatever he was saying rather than actually listening to it.

After all, he himself proclaimed he was different from the other. Not by class or looks, but just simply in a way that only he himself can explain.

People do sees him as a different person from the other, but they saw him in a wrong light that he would vision. People called him different by his superior looks that they said would even attached girl would flock over him in an instant. Other may saw him differently for his brilliant IQ that graded him the best student in Psychology or even the whole campus with his outstanding perfect GPA.

“As you might have known, there’s some cases involving psychopathology and we called a person such names as a Psycho” a click rang throughout the classroom as the light slowly faded as the projector screen began to show the first’s slide.

“I think most of you have watch a movie involving a psycho in it am I correct?” The professor asked and a harmonious ‘yes’ was replied for him.

Why do you need a movie when you have one right here?

Eying the professor’s, the pen in his hands unknowingly stopped twirling as he reflectively grabbed it, holding it tight against his hands as he brought a paper close to him with another hand.

With a click on the screen, the professor continued. “As you can see here, there is what I like to call as the 4Ds in Psychopathology.”

“The first D was from Dysfunction” a red beam was shown across the screen, pointing around in a circular motion to the first point.

“Dysfunction means that a person has developed One criterion for "abnormality" that may appear to apply in the case of abnormal behavior is statistical infrequency.” The professor explained while another click was heard and another slide came through.

“In which this means that this particular person would be almost like disconnected to his or her surrounding as in that person was actually broken mentally Some people like that was also known because they have a unique mindset, sometimes even a professional psychologist couldn’t even understand.”

Unknowingly, the boy’s eyes travelled down from the professor’s lips to his own hands, gazing at it in an odd manner. From his perfectly smooth skin to his glistening pale nails. It was such a beauty to him that even made him fascinated on how wondrous this world is.

People might say that human was the most perfect and smartest creature in this planet, showing a brand new fantasies as new era passed by with their superior intelligence. But this boy saw things differently; everything was hideous

 

All except him, a different person from the others.

 

“The second D is Distress

 

“Following the dysfunction, distress was the second stage in psychopathology. As you all can see Dysfunction causes abnormal behavior and mental damage to the sufferer that would create a barrier between him and his surrounding, almost like an isolation.” The professor continued.

“As that people was isolated from his or her environment, a negative feelings would emerge from inside and this would cause a series of illness and the sufferer would be deeply troubled. In some cases, sufferer could even die out of the overwhelming stress in suicide which is such a shame in this society actually.”

The smile in his face falter after hearing the professor’s words and a deep frown was implemented.  People who committed a suicide in his eyes were not considered as a failure, but he considered them as his hero.

Human eyes told him that people like those were a failure that couldn’t withstand the pressure of live but to him, those people were the one that seeks true happiness.

 

A true happiness in a whole new world.

 

“Before I continue here, we’re going to have a bit of intermezzo here. I would like to ask you all some questions here.” The professor said as he faced the student and scanned their faces one by one.

“Kim Dokyung” The elderly called out to the short meek boy with glasses, his presence was almost invisible to other as people wouldn’t even look at him twice once they saw the campus’ target bully. The blonde boy raised his gaze to the professor who was looking at him and squeaked a small yet surprised ‘yes’

“If you happen to have a child.” The professor started once he heard the boy’s respond which receive a silent yet loud enough snicker for the boy to hear, finding it amusing how he would even have a wife with his underrated looks, nevertheless a child of his own.

“And let’s assume that it’s his birthday.” The professor continued. “You decided to bought him a nice silver bicycle and a ball but when you gave It to him, he didn’t seem to like it. Now my question is”

 

“Why didn’t he like your present?”

 

Some soft and small whispers came across the lecture hall as the students began to discuss the weird questions. The boy however, took no interest with the girl beside him, Kim Haesul or Haesong, he forgot as all of the faces of the worthless girl that courted him began to blend in as she tried to make some conversation with him about the questions, naively hoping that he would share the same interest which was replied by a fake ‘sure’ but the boy, much to his deceiving acting.

The only face he could imprint on his mind was only his latest beauty that he took more interest than the other he has ‘loved’

“So, Umh Taek Won-sshi, what do you think the answer of the question would be?” The oblivious girl asked him, batting her long fake lashes in order to captivate him.

“The boy didn’t like to play soccer perhaps” He replied with a sweet smile he poured to her, false hope elated in her chest as her heart swoon with one striking smile.

 

Of Lies and Delusion.

 

His lips that sealed the true answer to the questions and his smile that hide his true nature.

“T-the boy gets a trauma after playing them” DoKyung finally answered to the professor.

“Well thanks you for your answer Dokyung.” The professor said and motioned his hand to allow him to sit before returning his attention to the students once again. “You may be wondering why I asked such weird questions” The professor chuckled lightly. “But actually, this is one unique question with a hidden answer.”

“If you were to be a psycho or develop any characteristics of this, your answer would be”

 

The boy didn’t have any legs

 

The professor answered much to everybody disbelieve as they all didn’t even get anything close to that for an answer.

 

A perfectly written answer was scribbled into a rough paper, shredded to pieces, lying on the floor, forgotten just beneath one feet.

“Now let’s see” The professor tapped his fingers to his chin and suddenly brightened.

 

Jung Taek Won” He called out and the owner of the name made a direct eye contact with him as he sweetly answered a ‘yes?’ to the professor.

“There’s a mother with two daughter, the older one and the younger one. They live in bliss but one day, the mother passed away. During her funeral, the younger sister who didn’t even knew what love is met a strange man, a handsome young man that captivate her heart, maybe just like you” The professor joked and the class erupted in light laughter.

“But then, two days later after the funeral, his older sister dies.” The professor paused and looked at him.

 

“My question is, why did the older sister die?” He asked.

 

 

 

 

 

Because the younger sister wants to see him again…


“Next, we have Deviance.”

“Deviance simply means the cause of dysfunction. Where as dysfunction causes mental damage, deviance is the effect of dysfunction in which it means that one’s simply developed some sort of odd behavior that it sometimes unacceptable or uncommon in this society. People like this may suffer from harsh treatment from their surrounding which could brought emotional pain which will lead up to the last and the most dangerous D, Danger

 

At the word danger, his eyes glint, shining, almost as if he was waiting for this as his hands gripped onto his pen tighter than ever.

"Danger here students” The professor started but his tone was lower than before. “Is the factor that would lead us to a person we called as a psycho today” He continued as the screen slides over again.

“Danger is a violent reaction due to severe emotional pain caused by all of the three other factors. It leads the sufferer to a whole new and dangerous mind set where he was what I like to call as being programmed to do such violent things.” The professor explained.

Eyes snapping open, his eyes stared, gazing at the professor, his expression was unreadable but the inch of his strength grew stronger with the pencil grip in his hands as the evidence.

 

Foolish, he thought.

 

Hideous human are nothing but foolish child.

The tip of his pencil makes it contact with the perfectly smooth paper as traces of line was imprinted to it.

 

People except you my beauty are all nothing but waste. I didn’t suffer any pain but foolish people told me that I’m sick, crazy, a psycho just because I love you so much.

Nobody understands me except you

 

I like you, I love you,

 

That’s it…

 

And scribbled all over his paper, was the smearing color of red in a jar,

 

With a heart inside of it

 

 

Yeon Hee's heart belongs to me

And only me


Author's note:

Well this was really hard to write. I got inspired to write about this after my tutor who happens to be a psychology student in an university told me about the whole psycho matter so why not add it to the story ^^ and did you get the meaning behind Leo's answer on why the older sister died??