Reason 5: Be Yourself

7 Reasons Why You're Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Who are you, Yura?” Yongguk asked her the simple question.

“I’m –“ Yura stopped abruptly. “…What are you even asking?”

Yongguk looked back at her, amused. “I’ve noticed how you act around the people – is that who you are?” 

“Of course it is.” Yura responds back without thinking too much about his question.

“Then you act really differently around me.” He shrugs nonchalantly.

Yura narrowed her eyes at him. “What is that supposed to mean?” Sure, she acts a little more carefree in front of him because her guard isn’t up when she’s around Yongguk but the way she acts toward other people are also a part of her. 

“I feel like when you’re around me, you’re most like yourself.”

“How do you know?” Yongguk only has known her for a short period of time, he wouldn’t know everything about her. 

“Because your expression is less stiff and more natural.” Yongguk only smiled back.

There was one thing Yura has decided. Yongguk was sneaky. Though he didn’t act like it, he sure was. With his crafty words, Yongguk can easily persuade anyone into believing anything. But something told Yura that Yongguk wasn’t the type to misuse that ability – even though they haven’t known each other long. Maybe this is how Yongguk feels when he mentioned what he thought of her also.

“Well, who are you, Yongguk?” Yura decides to ask him the same question. Maybe if she heard his answer, she would figure out what he wanted from her exactly. 

Yongguk only smiled, not surprised with the same question. “I’m bettering myself everyday.” He said while messing with his lunch. After the first few times they ran into each other, these meet ups started to become normal now. “But, I’m someone who works hard at what he does, I care about people closest to me, and I’m a dutiful son.” He looked up with a grin. “Now, you’re turn.”

Yura thought for a moment. “I’m someone that tries her best at her job – even if others may not realize. I like to impress others, receive compliments…” She trailed off suddenly noticing the difference between her words and Yongguk’s.

“You know, there isn’t anything wrong with that.” Yongguk comforts her. “As long as you know your character and are content with it.” 

“There’s more.” Yura interjects. “I like watching comedy shows, so it’s fun to make others laugh.” She stopped to gauge the reaction of the man that sat in front of her.

“What else?” He leaned forward, listening intently to what she had to say.

“But, I also laugh at corny jokes told by others just so they don’t feel bad.” She continued to the amusement of Yongguk. “…But, I do that quite often.” Her tone suddenly goes soft. “I think I really worry about other people’s reactions to what I say.” Just like how she was waiting for Yongguk’s response earlier while she spoke.

“So, you cater your words in order to feel more accepted by others.” Yongguk clarified knowingly and Yura nodded.

“I’m the type to change myself to fit in.” Just like how she changed her lifestyle in order to achieve this goal of beauty. “…To meet a standard.”

Yongguk doesn’t respond right away but to Yura’s relief, he didn’t brush off her words. “There’s no standard, Yura.” He says. “It’s tiring to be someone you’re not and it’s hard to keep up a crafted image. You don’t need validation from others – from men. You are who you are and it doesn’t become true based on other’s contentment.”

Memories of her past spring up at his words. Flashes of images where Yura changed her entire wardrobe, changing the way she spoke, and buying whatever she thought would improve herself physically – just so others would send her a quick smile or some quick words of compliments. She became whom they wanted and not what she wanted herself to be.

“Yes, it’s tiring.” Yura answers mindlessly. 

“So, isn’t it easier to just be yourself?” Yongguk asks.

Yura chuckled. Where does she even start? It has been years – it’s become routine. Her life now has started to become a portion of her so how could she part from it? 

“I don’t know how.” Yura answers in all honesty. 

“That’s not something I can teach you.” Yongguk simply replies. “It’s something you have to figure out on your own.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter