Reason 3: Speak Your Mind

7 Reasons Why You're Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yura was in deep thought. It was the beginning of a new week but the words from Yongguk a few days ago refused to leave her be. Why did his words seem to always remain stuck in her mind despite her not wanting it to?

How could he look at her and say she didn’t have confidence? No one has ever told her that and the thought made a sigh leave her lips. Thinking that a small walk to the break room for a cup of water would relieve her tired mind just a bit, Yura got up from her work desk and did just that.

“Hey, Yura.” Her coworker brightly greeted her the moment she walked in.

Yura returned a smile. “Good afternoon.” She noticed he wasn’t sitting alone – another coworker had joined him at the small table. “What are you two talking about?”

“The new girl.” The two men answered.

“New girl?” She didn’t notice that there was a new employee. “On our floor?” 

“Yeah, I’m not surprised you didn’t notice her.” One the employees spoke. “She doesn’t really stand out.”

“Kind of average.” The man beside him added.

“As in what?” Yura questioned, still not understanding the topic of there conversation.

“Her face…and everything else.” He motioned with his hands.

The first man chuckled. “She’s nothing like you, Yura.”

“You know, they should be hiring people that are easier on the eyes.” They continued. “I wouldn’t mind coming to work if that’s the case.”

Yura didn’t know what to exactly say. Should she straight out disagree or would that make them look at her differently? They even complimented her – so, Yura decided to remain quiet, offering silent agreement and smiled. That’s what men preferred anyway.

“See, women should be more like Yura.” The man motioned at her. “Someone who smiles, acts ladylike, and takes care of her image.”

Yura chuckled. That’s right. She became a woman that many wish to be. “I’m getting back to work.” But, as she walked away, Yura couldn’t help but feel stifled. What they had mentioned – was that her only merits? That she only knew how to smile, act ladylike, and take care of what she looked like? The thoughts continued to swirl in her mind as she takes a seat back down at her desk. Fortunately, she was temporarily distracted by the appearance of someone.

“Hi, I’m new here.” The young woman spoke softly. “I was hoping you could help me with something.”

Must be the new girl. “Sure, what do you need help with?”

“I’m not sure where to drop this folder off.” Her gentle voice told Yura enough how shy she must feel since she was new.

Yura smiled, hoping it would make the young woman feel a little more comfortable. “If you turn at the corner, there’s a room on your right. Place it into one of the baskets.”

At Yura’s helpful answer, the new employee smiled brightly. And at that second, Yura couldn’t help thinking how pretty she was. Not entirely physically but the smile told of someone that was kind. “Thank you so much, I’ve worked really hard on it and I would feel terrible if it was late.”

“I’m sure your hard work will be noticed.” Yura answered genuinely.

“I hope so too.” She sends Yura a small smile and went on her way.

Strange, according to her male coworkers, she lacked physical beauty. But, they forgot to mention her other qualities…or did they not know of them? Surely, if they saw how hardworking she is, they would think differently.

…Right?

***

Well, what a coincidence.

Yura stared at the man before her. “You work around here also?”

Yongguk chuckled at how unexpected this situation was. “The recording label, down the street.” He responds. This was a busy district that held many businesses, but he didn’t think he would be running into her.

Yura grabbed her order for her lunch break while Yongguk grabbed his.

“Want to sit together?” She asked and he returned a willing nod.

Once taking their seats, Yongguk was the first to speak. “How has your day been?”

As Yura watched him, she couldn’t help noticing how differently he treats her. Men would often stammer or even try to impress, yet, sitting here with Yongguk, it was casual. It was normal and this may be strange but Yura didn’t mind it. It was as if she could let down her own guard…just a little bit. She didn’t have to try so hard since she knew whatever she did wouldn’t impress the man in front of her anyways and even if she did try to impress him, it wouldn’t affect him much.

“Busy.” Yura answered. Her mind was busy trying to understand this man in front of her. “And yours?”

“Enjoyable.” He grinned befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter