The Dream Catcher

The Dream Catcher
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sound of the piano keeps on playing in my mind. I let my vision be engulfed in total darkness… but why is it that I still can see you? My eyes… they’re crying, my heart… it’s breaking… my life… I’m dying.

 

 

“Hey, hey you okay?” an angelic voice disturbed me from my sadness. I opened my eyes only to meet that person’s. I smiled, an answer to her question. “You sure?” Another question was thrown at me and I nod my head. “Jeez, why are you here again? Umma’s going to kill me if she finds you missing.” She sat beside me as her finger slowly press the keys of the piano creating beautiful melodies that floods my mind with overflowing emotions, I do not understand… nor I should feel. I stopped her. I grabbed her hand and led the back of it to my lips. “What’s wrong?” she asked again, worry evident on her voice. I shook my head. I gently pressed my lips against her skin. “I’m sorry.” I mouthed. “For what?” she asked. “For leaving you.” I answered as I stare back at her, trying to convey the sadness and regret the memories are making me feel. She used her other hand and tried to reach for me but as her hand comes closer, like sand, the wind blew me away into tiny dots disappearing right before her.

 

 

 

“Welcome back.” A voice woke me up, this time, for real. “So, whose dream was it tonight?” He asked me with his usual cheeky grin. “I don’t know, Leeteuk. Classified.” I answered as I step down from the silver bed and make my way to the door. “Being a dream catcher is hard, huh?” I suddenly stopped and turn to him.

“It is…”

then I walked away again.

 

 

I am walking on this overly white hallway, wearing overly white attire like everyone else. I meet my colleagues along the way but a greeting between us will never happen. It has been this way since I can remember, I only have one friend and I can’t feel her presence. She must be in her owner’s dream. I am a dream catcher. I never wanted to be one. I was made with the sole purpose of giving good dreams to our owners… and this time, a girl owns me. I had almost a thousand owners before her but never did I appear as me in their dreams aside from this one.

“Eon.” A voice called out to me. I close my eyes. “Yes?”

“Is something wrong?” He is my master, the one who created me. “Nothing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Your new owner, have you met her?”

“I have.”

“She’s… a sad soul, Eon.”

“Aren’t they all?”

“Eon.”

“I will do my best to give her good dreams.”

“Good, I expect nothing less from you.” Then I open my eyes. “A sad soul…”

 

 

 

 

 

“Tae…” It’s her voice again. “Yes?”

“When are you coming back?” I stopped reading my book. We are inside her dream, in a quiet room in a quiet mansion. I can see a very beautiful garden through the window. I turned my attention to the girl whose head was resting on my lap. “I’m here.” I told her. I can see something else in her eyes. Is she sad? No, I can’t let her be sad. My job is to take that sadness away. I cannot fail. “I’m here, I’ll always be here.” I told her staring deeply at her eyes. The sadness in her eyes doesn’t seem to leave, why?

I moved my hand, my palm covers her eyes. 

“Tae?”

Then I removed it, showing her my face with my tongue sticking out. She smiled. 

I covered her vision again, when I take my hand away I showed her my cross eyed expression, she giggled. 

I covered her vision again, this time I showed her my pouting face, she laughed. What a beautiful laugh, what a mesmerizing eye smile.

“That was so funny, Taetae!” she said clapping her hands. I smiled at her as I reach for the book I was reading. The content doesn’t really interest me, it won’t mean anything to me anyway. In the world of dreams, anything can happen. What’s the use of these words if I can make them come true anyway? I only use this book so not much conversation will be shared between us, it’s not like she’ll talk and talk anyway. All she need is me… or the person she sees through me. My sole purpose is to take her sadness away, her bad dreams away. And I realize within this week of being her dream catcher that by just having this person by her side can make this beautiful girl happy, it’s the dream that she wants, no words needed.

I steal a glance at her, her eyes are closed. Why? She can’t sleep here, if she does she’ll wake up but she’s not because I’m still here. I look at her again and this time she’s smiling.

“Tae?”

“Hmm?” I hummed in response.

“When I wake up, you’d still be there, right?” I opened my mouth to respond but… what will I tell her? Should I lie?

“I-"

When you wake up…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

… I won’t be there.

 

“Welcome back.” I opened my eyes as that voice entered my ears. “Still the same owner?” Leeteuk, again with his smile, asked me. “Classified.” I told him as I left the silver bed.

 

 

 

“Eon?”

I close my eyes. “Yes, master?”

“How is the broken soul?”

I unconsciously clenched my jaw upon hearing the word broken.

“Still the same, master.”

“Eon, time is running out. Your time with her is almost over. Make her smile in her dreams as much as you can.”

“Yes, Master.”

I opened my eyes and continue to walk. Her question still bugs my mind.

“When I wake up, you’d still be there, right?”

How can I answer that when I only live, no exist,  in her dreams? I look at my hand, it doesn’t have any lines like human’s. Just plain palm because I have no fate, no destiny. I’m just… a simple dream catcher, no soul, no heart. I’m just an object used to serve the souls who are afraid, who are grieving, who are sad… but why? Then, why?

I asked as I touched my chest, right in front of my supposed to be heart. It’s not supposed to beat, right?

But why do I feel like it does?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Taetae?” I opened my eyes as that angelic voice I’ve been hearing lately called out to me.

“Yes?”

“Let’s just stay like this forever.” Her head on my shoulder, hand intertwined with mine as we rest under this big tree in this beautiful garden.

“What is your dream?” I asked her. “My… dream? It’s to be with you forever.”

“Do you love me… that much?”

“No.” She then faced me properly, head off my shoulder. “I love you more than that much.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am now sitting in the place where my mind is at ease. Well, my mind is always at ease. But this place gives me far more comfort. Here, I can see the sky so blue, the river at peace, and the wind so solemn.

“Why are you here, Eon?”

“Just resting, Soonkyu.” I answered. I felt her sit beside me.

“Only the tired needs the rest. Are you… tired?”

“Soonkyu, are we really giving them happiness?”

“What do you mean?”

“When they wake up, they will feel the sadness more. We give them what they want at night but we take them all away in the morning. We protect them from nightmares at night only for it to haunt when they wake up. Aren’t we defying our purpose? Instead of happiness, we give them more sadness… we give them false hopes.” A hand touched my face. “Eon, do you know why you’re a dream catcher?”

“Because the master created me as one.” She smiles at me. “No, my friend. We were chosen. The master creates dream catcher but he can never create the dream catcher.” She then faced the river. “Even in their dreams we help them escape, Eon. We were chosen because we can understand. We can understand the pain. We also felt the want. The want to escape… the want to dream. The want to live… even in dreams. We were once like them. You were once like them.”

“I was… a human?” She turns to me, smiles and kisses my forehead. “Rest your weary soul, my friend. But not here. You do not belong here. Find out who you are and be who you really are.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We are once again in the place where it all started, the music room. We are in front of a grand piano. Our hands softly pressing the keys. Our hearts, or her heart, playing with every melody.

“Tae…”

“Yes?”

“I will wait for you.” I turn to her and stop playing. “I’ll never get tired.”

“What do you-"

I was silenced by soft lips that touched mine. Her eyes, they were teary. “Don’t live in my dreams. Come with me. Let’s go back to where we truly belong, in each other’s arms, in reality.” She touched my cheek and I followed and leaned on the warmth of her hand.

“Let’s stop living in dreams… Taeyeon.”

“Tae…Yeon?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inside a white room with a very big chair and table, Leeteuk enters. “Master, here are the new lists of owners. We have also-“ He was stopped when the master’s hand gestures him to. A smile appeared on the old man’s face. “She is on the way.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Master? You summoned me?” Eon enters a smaller room with a golden fountain in the middle.

“Master?” She enters the room. It is quiet except for the sound of the water flowing from the fountain. The majestic beauty of the only object inside the room attracted Eon’s attention. She slowly approaches it. She has never seen water so clear. She slowly touched the surface of the water and suddenly images start to appear. Sounds starts to be produced.

 

 

“Tiff, will you please get a hold of yourself? All you do is sleep and stay here in your room. You still have a life!” A blond woman shouted at the girl who was obviously hiding under the cover on her bed. “Tiff! You’re not even visiting her!” The blond seems so angry and she scared even the calm Eon. The cover was pulled harshly and the woman lying on the bed shocked Eon. The girl’s hair was not kept properly. Her skin looks so pale, she even looks thin and when she opened her eyes the shine that captivated the dream catcher was not there, even a hint.

“Tiff, look at you…Don’t do this to yourself. She won’t like to see you like this.” The blond said softly this time. “Let me be Jess. At least in my dreams we can be together.” The woman said with a cracking voice. The sweet melody was no longer there and Eon’s calm being slowly broke… water, water is falling not from the fountain but her eyes.

Tears? I’m… crying?

“Tiff, stop doing this… please?”

“You can’t understand! None of you will ever understand!” And the woman gets up from bed and runs away.

“Where are you going?” Eon whispered.

The woman, covered in coat but still in her pajamas runs out the house, crying.

“Stop crying… you’re making me cry too.” Eon whispered.

It was dark. The road where the woman was running has only the light of the moon to light the way.

“Well,well, well. Look here.” Two men suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Eon suddenly felt something inside her, fear. The woman looks afraid.

“What’s a beautiful lady like you doing here at a time like this?” They have lewd smirks plastered on their face and Eon felt another weird feeling erupt, anger. The two men slowly approach the woman. “Let’s have some fun.” One of them grabs the woman’s hand. “You’re a mess but still a beauty.”

“No, please let me go.” The woman pleaded while crying and Eon felt it, sadness and fear… again but more this time.

“Please no… Taeyeon!!”

Eon acted without thinking upon hearing the name. Her hands submerged in the water. “I’m coming for you, Tiffany.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Open your eyes.” She told her. “You’re safe.” She said as she hugs her. “T-Taeyeon? W-what?I-I was… Am I dreaming?” Tiffany looks around her. She was still in the same place she remembered but the two men were gone… and it feels peaceful.

“No, you’re not dreaming. I am here.” Tiffany was engulfed in a warm hug by the woman in white.

“Fany-ah, I am here and you are safe.” Eon wipes the tears on the woman’s face. “Let me bring you home.”

 

 

 

“Master?” Leeteuk called his master who was still has his eyes closed and smiling.

“The contracts.” His master said then papers after papers landed on his table from nowhere.

“Eon…” He said. And a blue paper flew from under the pile towards his hand. “Master, what are you doing?” Leeteuk asked.

“It’s time for her to finally go home. Soonkyu?”

“Yes, Master?” A voice answered. “Lead her home.”

“Yes, Master. Master?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

“It is our duty, Soonkyu.” He looks at the paper on his hand. “Contract  terminated.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Tae?”

“Sleep, Fany-ah…” Eon was on the bed with Tiffany, with the latter hugging her tightly. “When I wake up-"

“I will still be here.”

A beautiful smile emerged on Tiffany’s face. “Good night, Taetae.”

“Good night, Fany-ah.”

Eon was staring at the woman who has her arms wrapped around the dream catcher. Everything was still blurry for Eon. She just did what she thought was right. She went down to the human world, without even knowing how. All she knew was she had to save the girl, and now two men are peacefully sleeping somewhere in the streets of this place. She silently admired the woman. Why was she chosen as Tiffany’s dream catcher? What will happen now? She has changed… and she’s lost. Everything is unsure. What will happen now?

She closed her eyes… and drifted off to her own dreamland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Finally, you arrived.” Eon opens her eyes. She’s inside a room, a hospital room, and Soonkyu is right in front of her. “Soonkyu…”

“My friend, it is time to go home.”

“What do you mean?”

“Six months ago, I was given to a girl. She was a victim of a car accident and was in a comma. She cannot wake up even if she wanted to. I was assigned to stay with her in her dreamland during her entire stay. You know what our purpose is, it is to take away their nightmare and give them a good dream, make them happy. But I failed. She cannot be happy. Her only happiness lies in one person. I tried to give her that person, or at least their memories, but she knew what was real and was not. She wanted to wake up but she knows that I cannot give her that. She asked me for something instead. Something she was hoping I could give. She wanted to be a dream catcher. A dream catcher for one person… for the person she loves. I made a deal with the master. We will make her that person’s dream catcher but of course, it is a deal. We must get something in return… and we took her memories.” She approaches Taeyeon. “She wanted to make that person she loves happy. To be together at least in their dreams.” Soonkyu touched Taeyeon’s forehead. “The contract will end once my owner finds out who she really is… My owner hasn’t found out yet, but her heart… her heart is leading her home… and so Master decided to just end it.” Her face goes near Eon. “It’s time to wake up now, Kim Taeyeon.”

“K-Kim Taeyeon?”

“Yes, you are Kim Taeyeon…”

“B-But I… I have my own memories.”

“No, those were mine. Here are yours.” A light suddenly appeared on Taeyeon’s head. Memories are entering her, feelings overwhelming… everything was coming back to place.

“Sunny…” Taeyeon mumbled. “Yes, the name you have given me. Welcome back, Taeyeon.”

“Sunny” A smile appeared on Taeyeon’s face, for the first time, a smile. “Thank you.” She said as she hugs Soonkyu. “You were already bored out by me that you wanted to be one, pabo.”

“For only one person, Sunny. For only one.”

“Welcome back, my friend.”

“I guess, we’ll be stuck with each other again. At least I get to spend some time with her, even in my dreams… in our dreams.”

“You really are an idiot. I miss Eon now.” Soonkyu said as she hugs Taeyeon. “I told you, you should go home. It’s now time to go home, Taeyeon.”

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany slowly opens her eyes. “Tae?” She looks for the person who was supposed to be beside her… but she was not. “Dream, again.” She sits up and brought her knees closer to her. “All is just a dream.” She looks at the picture frame by her side. Two women smiling so sweetly in front of the camera, so full of love. Six months ago was supposed to be their fifth year anniversary, but a car hit her lover and now… she cannot open her eyes. Six months filled with torture and longing… Longing that was lessening with her dreams…. But now, she’s even imagining things… She miss her so much, Taeyeon.

 

She was about to lie back on her bed when she noticed the dream catcher tied on her bed post. An old lady she met at the hospital while visiting Taeyeon gave her the dream catcher. She was having so many night mares that time… nightmare that involves Taeyeon… and she doesn’t want them anymore. It was a good thing that she accepted the dream catcher, she was able to be near Taeyeon even in dreams… even in dreams.

 

 

~RING~RING~

 

She groaned as she reaches for the phone. “Hello?”

“Hey, Miyoung-ah…”

“U-Umma?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

~HOSPITAL~

 

 

“Thank you for coming at such a short notice, Miyoung-ah. I really need to leave. You’re the only one I can entrust Taeyeon-ah to. Can you please watch over her while I’m gone?” Taeyeon’s Umma asked the quiet Tiffany. Tiffany nods her head and made a faint smile. “She will be back, Miyoung. She will never leave you.” She was pulled into a hug before the woman left.

 

Tiffany turns her attention to her sleeping lover. “Taeyeon-ah, please wake up… Please…” She pleaded. “Please, come back to me…” She sobbed. “You said you will be there when I wake up, you were a liar…” she covers her face, her crying face.

“Why are you… covering what I wanted to see the most?” A faint weak voice asked. “T-Taeyeon?!” Tiffany was surprised seeing a smiling Taeyeon beside her. “A-Am I dreaming?!”

“Pabo… This isn’t a dream. I’m back. I’m here, for real. I’m back for you, Fany-ah…”

“Taetae!” Tiffany launches herself to Taeyeon. “Taetae!”

Taeyeon only giggled, letting Tiffany hug her. She noticed something by her bed post… a dream catcher…

Thank you…

“I missed you, Taetae!”

“Fany-ah, we’ve been together every day.”

“What?” She wipes Tiffany’s tears and kissed her cheeks. “I’ve always been in your dreams… and now I’m in your reality. I love you, Fany-ah…”

“I love you too, Taetae."

 

 

 

 

 

This is once again, another one shot I created from my bored mind. Hope you like it. Please check out my other stories... THANK YOU!

 

HAPPY 7TH ANNIVERSARY SNSD!!!!!!! I'm only minutes late... SORRY...

THANKS FOR BEING THE GREATEST DESPITE ALL THE DIFFICULTIES AND CHALLENGES!

YOUR SHIP WILL ALWAYS SAIL WHENEVER AND WHEREVER...

WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE YEARS OF BEING A SONE...

I LOVE SNSD... SNSD + SONE = INDESTRUCTIBLE