Ghostly Plesures

Ghostly Plesures

AN.// This probably has a lot of typos, so, sorry for that. Anyway, enjoy reading!//


Dr. Kim Minseok, or as everyone called him Dr. Kim, is one man you would never want to encounter in your entire life. If you ask his co-workers or the other nurses who work in his hospital, Seoul Victory Hospital, they would probably say the same thing: mean.

Minseok never wanted to be corrected, and he always had this strict looking face, which dared everyone not to go near him.

Aside from the fact that he was strict, he was also very arrogant and proud of his profession as a doctor.

But, despite all the bad things about his attitude, he was smart, so, that guaranteed that he saved a lot of lives.

So, where exactly was Minseok right now?

He was in a conference room, with three other doctors, debating about a patient, who anytime, might go because of a tumor.

" What I'm trying to say is that it's too risky operating him. When you come to think about it, he has a weak heart, and if we decide to continue with the operation, he could die."Dr. Kim Joonmyeon, a cardiologist said.

" I would have to agree with Dr. Kim, it's too risky operating the boy if he has a heart problem." Dr. Zhang Yixing, a neurologist added.

" Plus the added effects of what anaesthesia could do to the heart? I don't we can
push through with the operation." Dr. Wu Fan, an anaesthesiologist, mentioned.

Minseok scratched his head and said:

" Look Doctors, I know you're just scared to pay the fine if ever we lose him during the operation. But, it's our job, we have to save lives."

" Excuse me, but who said that we're scared to pay the fine? I'm saying the exact truth, doctor." Dr. Kim said.

" Yeah, I'd pay the fine if we were to operate him, but, it's too risky doing that." Dr. Zhang added.

" Then why couldn't we operate him? If you would pay the fine, why wouldn't you operate him?" Minseok asked, his voice sounding proud.

" Because it's the right thing to do. I know it's the doctor's pledge to save lives, but once he or she cannot be saved, we just have to take care of him or her until she eventually goes. What you're telling us to do is very risky." Dr. Wu replied.

" You don't know what's on stake here, doctors. Do you exactly know who we're operating?" Minseok asked.

" The son of the vice president of South Korea." Dr. Kim replied.

" Exactly, from all doctors, he came to us." Minseok replied.

" Well, of course, since he's your cousin and you're probably gonna steal all the credit, just like what you did during your last operation." Dr. Zhang said.

" Look, I rightfully deserved that credit because it was my idea to operate the boy." Minseok replied.

" But the boy died a few months later anyway." Dr. Wu said.

" Look doctors,  what I'm trying to say is that the vice president is willing to pay anything just as long as his son can be saved. Think about how it will help the hospital?" Minseok asked.

" Help the hospital or you?" Dr. Kim asked.

" What did you say?" Minseok asked.

" Look, all we're trying to say is that we don't want you to commit the same mistake you did before. I mean, you took all the shares of what supposedly belonged to the other doctors, and look what happened, we lost three of our best doctors." Dr. Zhang replied.

" Excuse me, but I think I did more effort than what those three other doctors did." Minseok replied, his voice starting to fill up with rage.

" It's true doctor, aside from the fact that the boy cannot be operated since its too risky, no one would ever want to work with someone like you." Dr. Wu added.

Minseok widened his eyes, got off his seat and said:

" How dare you say that to me!"

" It's the absolute truth. You treat everyone like insects, but face it, we're all equals here." Dr. Kim said.

Minseok sat down, trying to calm himself down.

" Okay, let's bring this down to a vote. Who's in favor for the operation?" Dr. Zhang asked. Minseok raised his hand.

" Who's not in favor?" All three doctors raised their hands.

" I'm sorry, doctor, the operation will not push through." Dr. Wu said.

" And if you really want to help your cousin, find another set of doctors." Dr. Kim said.

" Good day." Dr. Zhang said before he and the two other doctors left him alone.

Minseok stared at the blank wall in front of him, mentally cursing on those three doctors, hoping that they would trip or lose their job or something.

He spent about five minutes in the conference room before he stood up and left. He walked the hallway and all the nurses immediately made way for him, totally avoiding making contact with him.

He looked at his watch, and it was two-thirty in the afternoon, just in time for his break.

He went to the elevator and pressed the button going up. Once the elevator opened, everyone inside hurriedly ran outside upon seeing him, leaving the elevator completely vacant.

He smiled upon seeing what has happened and he immediately went in the elevator, going to seventeenth floor, where the coffee shop was.

The elevator was about to close, before someone started hitting the doors.

" Wait! Wait! Keep it open, please!"

Minseok immediately opened the elevator and the boy ran inside and pressed the button going to the twenty-fifth floor.

The boy was panting as he continued to wipe his sweat. He put his bag on the floor and leaned on the elevator walls.

Minseok on the other hand, just looked at the boy, weirdly.

He looked at his uniform, which meant that he was still a medical student, probably in his third year of med school, and his nametag:

"Kim Jongdae. Medical Student."

Once Jongdae finished wiping his sweat, he picked his bag up and put it on his shoulders. And that was when he spotted Minseok.

" Oh My God. Hello, Doctor. Sorry, I didn't see you there." he said as he bowed.

Minseok just chuckled, which was something that he would never do, and replied:

" Hello, Jongdae."

Jongdae just smiled back and remind silent. Minseok sensed it, and probably Jongdae was being too obvious. Jongdae was scared of Minseok, just like any other person would be.

It was silent for an entire thirty seconds before Minseok asked:

" Are you late for class?"

" Yes, doc. Thirty minutes late." Jongdae replied.

" Who's your professor?" Minseok asked.

" Professor Lee Sooman." Jongdae replied.

" Ooh. Good luck explaining to him why you got late." Minseok teased.

Jongdae whined as he thought of what will happen to him three minutes from now, when he walks in class, while the head neurologist is giving a lecture, and just as he pictured it, it did not look good.

Minseok just smiled at the boy, yet again, something that he would never do.

Minseok saw something different in Jongdae, something sparked in him that he didn't know. He never felt that way while he interacted with other medical students, well basically because he never talked to any of them. He felt an emotional attachment with Jongdae, and it signaled him to get to know him more.

" Jongdae, right?" Minseok asked.

" Yeah."

" You seem stressed. You wanna go grab a cup of coffee or something?" Minseok asked.

" I'd love too, doctor, but midterms are in two weeks and I can't afford to miss a lecture." Jongdae replied.

" Don't worry, I'll teach you. What lesson are you having?"

" Parts of the brain. "

" Sure, I aced that test. Just meet me in my office and I'll teach you." Minseok said.

Jongdae smiled, and moment later, he turned it into a frown.

" What's the matter?"

" Professor Lee's gonna kill me for cutting classes." he replied.

" Don't worry, he's my friend, I won't tell him. It's our secret." Minseok assured.

Jongdae smiled and Minseok added:

" So, are you up for it?"

Jongdae thought about it for a few seconds, before he eventually nodded his head.

The elevator reached the seventeenth floor and the doctor and medical student entered the coffee shop.

A lot of medical students stood up and left the coffee house at the sight of Minseok, but, a few absolutely did not care about his presence.

The two went to the counter, wherein the cashier, named Zitao, nervously took their order.

" Good afternoon, doctor." Zitao nervously greeted.

Minseok nodded his head and asked Jongdae what he wanted.

" Café Americano." Jongdae replied.

" Okay, I'll have the same." Minseok replied.

Zitao looked confused for a moment, before he asked:

" The same what, doctor?"

" The same drink. Didn't you hear? Are you that deaf? He wanted a Café Americano. So, give me two." Minseok yelled, making the entire shop silent.

Zitao hurriedly ran to the counter, where he made the doctor two Americanos, and served it.

" Here doctor." Zitao said as he served the coffee and ran away.

Minseok served the coffee to Jongdae and Jongdae just set it aside for a moment.

" So, why exactly were you late?" Minseok asked as he took a sip from the coffee.

" I overslept." Jongdae replied.

" I used to do that when I was freshman." Minseok replied.

" Really?"

" Yes, as a freshman I did all kinds of stuff. I smoked, drank, I skipped classes because I overslept." Minseok replied.

" Woah, you're a lot cooler than I expected." Jongdae said.

" Not to mention that I had in the Chemistry lab."  Minseok said.

" Oh My Gosh, I had with my girlfriend there too." Jongdae excitedly replied to his story.

" Not girlfriend, Dae." Minseok said.

Jongdae widened his eyes as he started laughing. Minseok looked at Jongdae with a smile, even though he was supposed to be embarrassed since Jongdae was the first person he's ever told this to.

" Doctor Kim, you are so cool. I never knew you were like this." Jongdae said.

" You know, Jongdae, there are always two sides to a person's character. There's the visible side, and the invisible side, and you are one of the first ones to see this side of mine." Minseok replied.

Jongdae smiled as he took a sip from the lukewarm coffee on the table.

Jongdae looked at the other medical students and a group particularly caught his eye.

" Doctor Kim, look." he said.

Minseok turned around and saw two freshman students talking.

" Why? What about them?" Minseok asked.

" Aren't the freshman students supposed to be on a field trip today? And to those students who didn't go, shouldn't they be in the library?" Jongdae asked.

Minseok nodded his head as he stood up and approached the two students.

" Look what we have here, freshmen." Minseok said.

The two students, named Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun nervously exchanged looks.

" Last time I heard, you two were supposed to be on a field trip to the National Museum of Biology." Minseok said.

" Um, we weren't allowed to go, doctor." Jongin replied.

" If you boys weren't allowed, why aren't you in the library?" Minseok asked.

" Um, we were hungry, doctor." Sehun replied.

" There's a vending machine in the library, why didn't you buy from there?" Minseok asked.

Both boys were silent.

" I knew it. Get out of here!"

Jongin and Sehun immediately grabbed their stuff and ran to the library.

Minseok turned around and Jongdae clapped for him.

" I'm mean enough, aren't I?" Minseok asked.

" Very mean." Jongdae replied.

Minseok looked at his watch and said:

" It's two-forty-five. There's a new movie showing. You wanna go watch it?"

" Sure, I think it's better if I hang out someplace else, somewhere Professor Lee won't see me."  Jongdae replied.

Minseok and Jongdae hung out in the movie house and watched a three-hour long movie.

" Doctor, let me ask you a question." Jongdae whispered while the movie played.

" Go ahead. " Minseok said as he put a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

" Have you ever fell in love?" Jongdae asked.

" Of course, I've had a lot of lovers." Monseok replied.

" No, like, real love. And not just ." Jongdae asked.

Minseok just sighed, as he continued watching the movie. He sighed because, his answer, was no.

The movie finished, and the two went to eat dinner in a Japanese restaurant.

" What do you want, Jongdae?" Minseok asked.

" Uh, a California Maki will do just fine, doctor." Jongdae replied.

" Okay, then. I'll have a mini sushi platter." Minseok said as he told the waiter his order.

While waiting for their orders, the two struck up a conversation.

" Doctor, about the question a while ago?" Jongdae asked.

" What question?"

" Have you ever fallen in love?"

Minseok sighed, and shook his head.

" It's not that I don't like anyone, but it just doesn't feel right with them. I've loved a lot of people but none of them actually felt true. I know God wants me to be with someone, and I feel that too." Minseok added.

" I know that feeling, doc. Someday, God's gonna make you and your loved one meet. It's destiny and it cannot change its path." Jongdae replied.

Minseok nodded his head and said:

" I'm really thankful for meeting you, Jongdae. You're really different from other people." Minseok said.

" You are too, doc."Jongdae replied with a smile.

Their orders came and the two started eating. They spent about three hours roaming around the city of Seoul. Eating cotton candy and exchanging everything about themselves. From favorites to least favorites and from embarrassing stories and heartbreaks. They exchanged all that and it seemed like the had a relationship more than merely a teacher-student one.

It was ten o'clock in the evening when Jongdae needed to go home. So, the two rode a cab and they went to Jongdae's apartment.

" Thanks for everything today, Doctor Kim . I really had fun today." Jongdae said as he went out of the cab.

" Okay, Jongdae. See you, tomorrow." Minseok said in reply.

Jongdae was about to get in his apartment before Minseok called out:

" Jongdae, wait!"

Jongdae turned around and met Minseok halfway.

" What is it, doc?"

" You know, you'd probably think I'm crazy but I have an answer already."

" An answer to what?"

" Remember when you said that God destined us to find our loved one and that since it's destiny , it cannot be changed?" Minseok asked.

" Yeah. Why? " Jongdae asked.

" I know who he is." Minseok said.

" Who?"

Afterwards, Minseok grabbed Jongdae by the neck and kissed him. Minseok thought that he'd probably be embarrassed after doing that, but not long after Jongdae kissed him back. The kiss was long, sweet and passionate. Probably something that both men have not experienced in a very long time.

Minseok broke the kiss and said:

" You."

Jongdae just smiled and said:

" I really hoped it could be us, Doctor."

" What do you mean, didn't you say destinies won't change?"

" Some destinies just don't match well with other destinies." Jongdae replied.

" What do you mean?"

" You'll find out soon." Jongdae replied before he kissed Minseok on the cheek and said:

" Bye, doctor."

Jongdae entered his apartment and locked the door.

Minseok just sighed as he entered the cab, and went to the hospital.

He entered the emergency room upon arriving at the hospital. And as he arrived, two nurses, named Kyungsoo and Luhan, approached him.

" Where were you, doctor?" Luhan asked.

" I went somewhere, why?" Minseok asked.

" Three people died today. " Kyungsoo replied.

" Why? What happened?" Minseok asked.

" There was an accident. A drunk driver ran over three people. One pregnant lady and her boyfriend and a medical student."  Luhan replied.

" Update me." Minseok said.

" Anyway, it happened around two-thirty. The pregnant lady and her boyfriend died instantly. The medical student was in a coma for seven hours before he went on. "Kyungsoo said.

" Where are the victims?" Minseok asked.

" In the morgue." Luhan and Kyungsoo reoplied.

" Okay." Minseok said as he went to the morgue, where two other medical students were, crying.

" Hey. Why are you two here? No loitering in the morgue." Minseok said.

" Sorry, doctor." one medical student said.

" We were just waiting for our friend's family before we leave." the other one said.

Minseok looked at their nametags:

" Park Chanyeol. Medical Student."

"Byun Baekhyun. Medical Student."

" Were you there when your friend met the accident?" Minseok asked.

" No, we were waiting for him in school." Baekhyun replied.

" And we found out about the accident from other people." Chanyeol replied.

Minseok nodded his head and said:

" I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can move on." Minseok said.

" Thank you, doc." the two medical students said.

Minseok nodded his head and entered the morgue.

He saw three cadavers on the table. All three were covered with a white cloth and had toe tags on their feet.

Minseok looked at the pregnant lady's toe tag:

" Jung Soojung."

Then he looked at her boyfriend's toe tag:

" Lee Taemin."

Then he looked at the medical student's toe tag:

" Kim Jongdae."

Upon seeing the name, he immediately took off the white cloth, and, reality hit him hard.

He saw a boy, with a huge gash on his forehead and stitches behind his head. He had bruises all over his body, and his face, full of scratches. But, despite all that, Minseok still recognized him.

He recognized Kim Jongdae.