final.

When the world feels safe (only in your arms)
When the world feels safe (only in your arms)
Jongin/Kyungsoo.
slice of life/romance/action, pg13. 5313 words.
Do Kyungsoo is just your average police officer hopelessly in love with fire fighter Kim Jongin. In between their starkly different schedules and brief mornings they share together, he knows they don't have much time for each other, so he doesn't understand why Jongin still stays.
Dedicated to hachannie@AFF because she asked for this on twitter and I just wanted to write. Unbeta-ed as always.



Do Kyungsoo hates Mondays, most especially when he is rudely awakened by a shrill sound that seems to be ringing dangerously close to his ear.


He cracks an eye open in annoyance at the offending noise, blindly reaching to the object beside his right ear and he realizes it's his alarm clock. He blinks away the first few moments and adjusts to the equally offending daylight streaming through the half open blinds of his room as the thoughts goddamn it I’m still sleepy run through his mind.

 

Kyungsoo turns his head to glare at his alarm clock – a habit he's developed since his days at the police academy – and halts. Instead of the bright neon green numbers he's used to seeing on the face of the clock, he comes face to face with a horrendously pink post-it note. He grabs the note off the clock and brings it closer to read whatever's been written on it.

 

He squints at the untidy scrawl on the note before he lets out a chuckle as he comprehends the text, and he realizes it's from his boyfriend Kim Jongin. I'm working 10pm to 6am today until next Sunday. Don't wait up for me, okay? There are egg sandwiches in the fridge, heat them and have them for breakfast. Don't waste your energy cooking breakfast for me too. Stay safe, I love you.

 

Kyungsoo smiles at how adorable the note is, and shakes his head as he makes a move to get out of bed. Remembering the alarm clock, he glances at it again and sees that it's already six thirty in the morning and he is due for work by eight. He lets out a string of expletives as he grabs his towel and makes a beeline for the bathroom, almost slamming the door loudly in his haste.

 

Do Kyungsoo's mundane life is almost perfect – almost, because he really hates mornings when he forgets to set his alarm clock an hour earlier, and he most especially dislikes not being able to wake up next to Jongin.

 

 


Kyungsoo stumbles into the kitchen as he tries to set his working uniform's tie properly just as Jongin is silently closing the front door to their apartment. They look at each other, and Jongin is the first to give him a small smile in greeting. Kyungsoo returns the smile with a good morning loud enough for Jongin to hear, and the next thing he's aware of is that Jongin is suddenly in front of him, brushing away his hands and fixing his tie for him. He looks down at Jongin's hands on his tie, and notes the faint traces of grime on his boyfriend's fingers.


"You've been playing the auto mechanic role at the fire station again, haven't you?" Kyungsoo breathes, and Jongin pulls him by his just-straightened necktie to bring him closer for a chaste kiss. They both laugh into the kiss and whisper another good morning to each other before they pull away, and Jongin proceeds to the kitchen counter while Kyungsoo heads for the shoe rack by the door.


"I couldn't help it, we didn't really have anything better to do last night after finishing a game of cards and playing pranks on Chanyeol," Jongin murmurs distractedly as he prepares two hot mugs of coffee and heats up some sandwiches for them both. "It's already seven fifteen, I thought you were supposed to be off to work by seven?"


"I know," the elder man groans as he crouches down to the ground, tying up the laces of his Oxfords. "I must've forgotten to set the clock back an hour earlier last night because I crashed pretty early."


Kyungsoo finishes tying his shoelaces and joins Jongin at the kitchen table. "Didn't expect to still catch you at home. Were you held back at work? I read your note."

 

Jongin nods in response, his mouth too busy gobbling up his sandwich, and Kyungsoo can only laugh at the sight. Their little breakfast moment is interrupted when Kyungsoo glances at his watch and he panics because it's already seven thirty. Although the Seoul Metropolitan Police Force is just a ten minute bike ride away from home, Kyungsoo tries to come in earlier than eight because he knows the inspectors become pompous asses on Mondays and demand more errands to be done on early Mondays more than any other day.


", I'm going to be late."


It's Jongin's turn to shake his head and watch his boyfriend rather amusedly as Kyungsoo wolfs down the rest of his breakfast in a flash before flying to the bathroom to brush his teeth. It's not every day he gets to see Kyungsoo all worked up because he's almost late -- Kyungsoo is never late to work, mind you – and then Jongin faintly registers Kyungsoo's soft lips ghosting against his with a whisper of I love you before the door swings open and slams shut just as immediately.


Kim Jongin loves the enigma that is Do Kyungsoo, because the man is every bit unpredictable as he is. He thinks he's learning something new about Kyungsoo every moment they're together, so he's also learned to cherish the brief mornings they share with each other, because it's only in these moments he gets to have a deeper glimpse into the heart of the young police officer he's deliberately chosen to fall in love with.


 

 

When Kyungsoo gets home, it's already half past five in the afternoon and the first few rays of sunset are softly streaking through the window, bathing their room in an ethereal golden glow. Jongin is already fast asleep, and he knows he can't blame the younger man because Jongin has to get up and prepare for his shift at the fire station by eight in the evening.

 

The Jongro station is a little bit far from their home, some fifteen to twenty minutes away by bicycle and ten minutes by bus, and Kyungsoo knows Jongin prefers to bike to work because taking the bus daily is an additional expense they didn't necessarily need to incur.

 

Kyungsoo snaps back into reality when he hears a small whimper, and he sets down his bag to look at Jongin. Jongin's brows are creased, his lips curled into a slight frown, his grip on the blanket tightening, and Kyungsoo wonders if he's having a bad dream.

 

He sinks to the floor beside the bed as he faces his boyfriend, gently his forehead, and leans over to press a reassuring kiss onto Jongin's temple. The gesture seems to have worked, and Jongin slowly relaxes, the edge of his blanket no longer in a death grip.

 

Kyungsoo starts humming an old melody as he runs his hand through Jongin's caramel brown hair soothingly. It doesn't take long until Jongin's completely relaxed, his expression no longer agitated but serene. Kyungsoo wonders if Jongin's had bad dreams on days he isn't home to find him in this state, and for a moment his heart breaks just a little because it pains him to not be there to make this awful feeling go away.

 

He thinks, no, he knows Jongin deserves better, that he deserves someone who can welcome him home at the end of the day, cuddle with him to sleep, and share countless happy moments with him in between the times Jongin doesn't have to be at work.

 

It pains Kyungsoo to realize he can't be that person, because his job as a police officer demands erratic hours of him. More often than not, their home is left empty when they're at their respective jobs, and Kyungsoo is filled with guilt when he remembers the times Jongin requests him to join him and his friends at the fire station, only to turn him down because he's working on important cases.

 

Kyungsoo hates how career-driven he is sometimes, but he reminds himself he's doing this for their future together, that he needs to work harder for both of them. That is, he thinks as he watches Jongin's chest rise and fall with every breath, if he wants to stay.

 

He tries to comforts himself with the thought that these brief moments they share together are enough to convince Jongin to stay, but he knows deep inside that it's not enough.

 

 

 

Jongin’s shift the week after is back to the usual eight to five, and Kyungsoo is secretly glad because they get to leave home and head for work together. Jongin insists on walking Kyungsoo to his workplace one Wednesday morning, and before Kyungsoo can protest, Jongin reasons out that it’s only seven, hyung, that he can take the bus to work after dropping Kyungsoo off, and that it isn’t all the time they get to do this together.

 

Do Kyungsoo finds that he can never say no to Kim Jongin, and there’s a small smile playing on his lips as he nods, giving in to the demands of the younger male. He laughs in delight as Jongin gives him a quick thank you peck on the cheek and wraps a warm hand around his as they make their way down the stairs together.

 

Kyungsoo decides he likes mornings like this and wouldn’t mind sharing more of these mornings with his boyfriend, because he knows as well that it’s not all the time this happens.

 

He immediately regrets the thought when stupid clingy Jongin insists on taking him up to his office at the Investigation Unit on the fifth floor of the agency, and he hides his face in embarrassment when Jongin gives him a tight hug and a slow kiss before he leaves him standing by the door with a have a great day at work, hyung. Kyungsoo turns even redder when he realizes his team mates Kim Minseok and Luhan are already at their stations, and he can only scream at them to stop laughing and teasing him so early in the morning.

 

The two only laugh harder in response, and he hears Luhan saying that fire fighter sure got a fine , you lucky . Kyungsoo doesn’t respond, instead he shuffles past them and throws himself into his desk chair. All he wants now is to sink deeper into the chair hoping it would swallow him and his embarrassed self whole.

 

 

 

It is almost one in the afternoon and lunch break is almost over when Luhan approaches Kyungsoo at his desk, and asks him to check out an apartment complex a couple of blocks down Sajik-ro after lunch is over. They’ve been receiving reports of suspicious activity on the third floor of the complex, but his team mates are up to their necks in midweek reports and can’t go on site immediately. Kyungsoo had already finished his own reports earlier in the morning, so he agrees to go on site for the two. He neatly packs away his lunch box into a drawer, and grabs his phone. He murmurs a see you later to his team mates and makes his way to the elevator.

 

When Kyungsoo arrives at the complex, he introduces himself to the landlord, who is tending to the plants by the entrance of the complex. The landlord lightens up in recognition after listening to Kyungsoo, and informs him that he is one of the callers. Kyungsoo is given permission to check out the third floor after he exchanges phone numbers with the landlord.

 

There is nothing out of the norm to Kyungsoo when he reaches the third floor of the complex, but he notes with interest that the door to Apartment 304 is slightly ajar. He wonders if the resident had just gone out for a bit and would be back just as quickly, but his instincts prove him wrong when he catches a whiff of what seems like gasoline and burning fire.

 

Kyungsoo hurries to the door and calls out for anyone in the room as he reaches for his gun on his hip. When there is no response, he slowly makes his way in and stares in horror because holy , the living room is on fire and there’s gasoline all over, and before he can leave the room to report the fire, the door slams shut, and he curses as he realizes he’s locked in from outside, and this is a deliberate attempt at arson. He feels as if his knees are about to give out in fear, but he wills himself to calm down and pulls out his phone to dial Luhan. He speaks in rushed bursts as soon as the line is picked up.

 

“Luhan hyung, listen to me,” he breathes in panic as he looks around the room to look for something, anything that would dampen the slowly spreading fire a little bit. “Alert the Jongro station. We have a Code Red at Namguk Apartment Complex in Sajik-ro 8-gil. Source is Apartment 304. Proceed with caution because this is likely to be an arson attack and perpetrator could still be on grounds. Please alert the landlord as well.”

 

As he ends the call, he forwards the landlord’s number to Luhan, just as an explosion behind him makes him jump. Kyungsoo realizes something went off in the bathroom too because it suddenly smells like explosives. It could be a bomb, holy , why the am I still here, and why are there no fire alarm systems and sprinklers damn it, he silently groans at his luck, and continues pacing around the room for any fire retardants. He starts opening random cabinets and drawers, his mind set on finding something to calm the fire. By the time he finds a flame-retardant fleece blanket in the walk in cabinet by the entrance, the flames in the small kitchen have spread up the wall and on to the curtains by the window.

 

But before he can throw the blanket over what he thinks is the source of the flames, he hears a faint help me and he realizes he hasn’t checked the single bedroom in the apartment complex yet. Cursing, he rushes into the room and closes the door to keep the fire contained in the main room, and finds a little girl huddled in the farthest corner of the room. The child is shivering in fear as she hides in between the bed and the wall cabinet, and Kyungsoo’s heart softens at the sight of the child. The little girl looks to be about seven or eight with tear-streaked cheeks, her long flowing jet black hair tied up in a ponytail, and her bright yellow sundress crumpled and heavily creased.

 

Kyungsoo rushes over to her and tries to gather her into his arms, but she jerks away from his touch and wraps her arms around her chest tighter, bringing her tiny legs closer to her chest, her eyes looking at him both in fear and in confusion.

 

“It’s okay, I won’t hurt you. I’m Kyungsoo. I’m a police officer,” Kyungsoo whispers as he pulls out his badge to show to the child to convince her. The little girl contemplates the badge for a moment, and she seems to believe him, because the second time Kyungsoo attempts to take her into his arms, she doesn’t resist. He wraps her in the fleece blanket he found earlier before settling her on the bed, and thanks the heavens when he spots a sports water bottle with some water in it.

 

“What’s your name? Why are you alone in the room?” He asks the little girl as he grabs the bottle and shuffles around the room for a small towel or handkerchief to pour water on. He warily eyes the door and sees smoke slowly seeping into the room, and he silently hopes Jongin and his team were alerted and were on their way

 

“M-Miyeon. Han Miyeon. M-My mommy went out to buy groceries…”

 

“Okay, Miyeon, oppa needs you to stay calm and breathe slowly so that you won’t inhale so much smoke.” The little girl only nods at the instruction, and starts breathing slower. Kyungsoo gives her a small smile in encouragement. “Do you have a handkerchief or a small towel?”

 

Miyeon wordlessly hands him the small hand towel she’s been clutching in her hand since the fire started, and Kyungsoo murmurs a small thanks before folding the towel into a smaller square and pouring a little water onto the fabric. He returns the now wet fabric to her, and coaxes her to cup it in her hand, hold it against her nose and mouth, and try breathing through it without removing the fabric.

 

“H-How about you, oppa?” Miyeon asks. Kyungsoo shakes his head and pats her knee in reassurance. “No need. I’ll be okay.”

 

Kyungsoo knows he’s lying, because he can slowly feel the carbon monoxide constricting his lungs, and god knows how long the fire has been burning. He coughs, and this doesn’t go unnoticed by Miyeon. She tugs on his sleeve to get his attention, and when he does, she slowly points to the cabinet. “Mommy has towels there.”

 

Kyungsoo mentally slaps himself because oh god how stupid can I get, of course there would be more fabric in the cabinet, and thanks the child as he rushes to open the cabinet. He immediately spots a small hand towel similar to Miyeon’s on the top of a pile of clothing, and he grabs one, immediately dousing it with water. He takes a few sips of the water and urges Miyeon to drink the remaining water in the bottle. With no more water and the little girl safely secured, he takes a look at his phone, and wonders if Jongin will pick up if he calls.

 

He presses the first speed dial number, and presses the device to his ear as the line begins to ring.

 

 

 

It’s twelve minutes past one and Jongin is awakened from his lunch break slumber by the loud wail of the station siren, signalling an emergency rescue operation. He jumps out of his cot and runs to the uniform area just as his ladder mates Park Chanyeol, Zhang Yixing and Kim Jongdae arrive in the same area. They change into their protective fire fighter gear in a matter of seconds, securely zipping them up before they slide down their respective fireman’s poles. Jongin gets into the passenger seat and Yixing climbs into the driver’s seat, while Jongdae and Chanyeol opt to stay at the back of the fire truck. The engine roars as it comes to life, and Jongin pages the radio dispatcher for Yixing, whose hands are focused on the steering wheel.

 

“Seoul Metropolitan Fire and Disaster Management Department, Jongro Station Ladder 49’s Kim Jongin responding to fire incident. What’s the situation?” he speaks into the radio receiver, and a male voice, which he presumes to be Byun Baekhyun, their usual radio dispatcher, comes on the crackling line.

 

“Reporting incident at thirteen hundred and ten hours at Sajik-ro 8-gil. Residential fire at Namguk Apartment Complex, source of fire presumably third floor, apartment 304. Suspected arson.”

 

Jongin takes in a deep breath as Yixing lets out a loud . They never really liked arson cases because they were a pain in the to investigate, and sometimes started the most deadly fires.

 

“Noted.” Jongin acknowledges as he scribbles a hurried note on the white board attached to the dashboard.  “En route to Sajik-ro, estimated arrival within three to four minutes. How long has the fire been burning?”

 

“We received the report at thirteen hundred eight, but by then the fire had already going on for a while, I presume some five or ten minutes. No immediate notification because the building is old and there aren’t any fire systems installed. Jongin?”

 

“Yes?” Jongin is surprised at Baekhyun’s sudden use of his first name; Dispatchers usually didn’t do this over the radio.

 

“I don’t know if I should be telling you this, but the call came from a Luhan from the Seoul Metropolitan Police Force Investigation Unit. He says one of their officers, Do Kyungsoo, is in the building where the fire started and was the one who asked him to report the fire.”

 

As Kyungsoo’s name is mentioned, Jongin feels as if his world has stopped turning. He croaks out a “D-Do Kyungsoo?” not believing what he’s hearing, but Baekhyun only responds with a sad “Yes. Good luck, buddy.”

 

Yixing can only watch Jongin sadly as the younger man’s grip on the radio receiver tightens for a moment, before he sets it back in its cradle. Although Yixing has only ever met Kyungsoo once, he can see much Jongin loves his boyfriend, and he prays to the high heavens that Baekhyun isn’t talking about the same Do Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin is broken out of his thoughts when he hears his phone vibrate on the dashboard. His eyes widen when he sees Kyungsoo’s name flashing on the screen, and he rushes to answer the call.

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

A cough comes from the other end, and the uneasy feeling that’s come to settle in the pits of Jongin’s stomach intensifies. “J-Jongin. Are you on your way?” a soft voice rasps into his ear, and he knows it’s unmistakeably his hyung.

 

“We’re heading there now. What happened, hyung?” Jongin’s gripping his phone so tightly Yixing can see his knuckles turn white. Another cough comes before he hears a response.

 

“I-I was asked to investigate suspicious activity on the third floor and I found a fire burning in a room. But I can’t get out because someone forced the door shut and I’m locked in from outside…”

 

Jongin can’t believe what he’s hearing. The last thing he ever wanted to deal with was an arson case that put his lover’s life literally on the line. Sure, they both risked their lives on the job every day, but he never wanted to encounter a fire that involved Kyungsoo possibly losing his own life. He feels the slight prick of tears trying to come out of his eyes, but he tells himself not to cry, because he knows he has to stay strong for Kyungsoo.

 

“Are you okay, baby? Can you describe the apartment interior for me?” Jongin knows it’s dangerous for him to keep Kyungsoo talking given the closed room and the carbon monoxide that accumulates the longer the fire continues to burn, but he wants to know so it’d be easier navigating through the burning mess that the apartment is likely to be in.

 

“I-I’m okay, I have a wet towel with me but we don’t have much time, the fire is spreading,” Kyungsoo’s voice is barely above a whisper now, and Jongin knows they both don’t have that much time as well. “A-All I remember is that once you open the main door, there’s a bathroom to the right, and an explosion also went off there earlier, and a walk in closet to the left, right beside the door to the bedroom. Fire started in kitchen, I think”

 

“Okay, hyung. Please breathe slowly and stay safe for me. I’ll be there real soon.” Jongin assures him, though Jongin himself is unsure of his own words.

 

“Please, Jongin,” Kyungsoo responds, coughing a little violently now. “I have a little girl with me too. If a-anything happens, p-please take her out first.”

 

Jongin has never felt the resolve to save lives become stronger than it has been until now. This was his hyung they’re talking about, and there’s also a little girl that needs them as well. “No, baby, we’ll get you both out together. Stay together and be safe. I love you.”

 

“I-I love you too, Jongin. You guys be careful. W-We’ll be waiting.”

 

The moment Jongin ends the call, they’ve arrived on location, and he faintly registers the screaming of a woman asking for her child as he carelessly throws his phone onto the dashboard.

 

That same moment, Kyungsoo weakly pockets his phone, pulls the little girl into a protective hug and feels his world fade into darkness.

 

 

 

The white brightness, the loud chatter and the soft feeling of the mattress that attack Kyungsoo’s senses all at once has him wanting to groan out his disapproval at the brightness and the loudness of his surroundings, but he can’t let out a sound because his throat is parched dry and his head is pounding.

 

He slowly opens his eyes and adjusts to the brightness, and he realizes that oh he’s in a hospital room and a lot of people are around the room. He looks to his right and sees his boyfriend holding his hand while talking to Luhan. He shifts in bed uncomfortably to get Jongin’s attention, and he smiles when it does because the movement has Jongin snapping his head to look at him. The next thing Kyungsoo knows is that he’s gingerly being pulled into Jongin’s arms, his back pressed to Jongin’s chest, and his face is smothered in quick kisses.

 

“J-Jongin, stop,” he rasps out, his voice only a whisper because his throat hurt and he needed water. “I-I need water, please.”

 

Jongin motions for a bottle of water, and Minseok hands one to him. He opens the bottle for Kyungsoo and coaxes the elder to drink slowly. Once Kyungsoo has finished drinking and he feels he can speak now, he leans into Jongin’s embrace, not caring that his team mates and some other people – which he assumes to be Jongin’s ladder mates – can see.

 

Luhan takes this as their cue to leave, and he whisks everyone out of the room to give the couple a little privacy. Jongdae screams at Jongin to practice safe in the hospital and the rest of the gang guffaws. Jongin throws the empty water bottle at Jongdae, who only catches it and winks at Jongin before closing the door.

 

“How long have I been out?” he asks Jongin as he reaches for Jongin’s hands to play with them.

 

“Almost two days, Soo,” Jongin mumbles quietly as he presses soft kisses into Kyungsoo’s hair. “You were already out of it when we managed to get to you and Miyeon, and you had to be intubated on the way to the hospital because you weren’t breathing.”

 

Kyungsoo starts to apologize, but Jongin hushes him up because he didn’t want to hear any of it. “Don’t be sorry, hyung. I’m just really happy you’re alive and safe, and that we got to you both on time.”

 

Kyungsoo suddenly remembers the events from the incident, and he is filled with worry for the little girl he is sure he had in his arms before passing out. “How is Miyeon?”

 

Jongin smiles into Kyungsoo’s hair before he lets go of the elder man to settle down in the seat beside the hospital bed. “She was discharged this morning, hyung. You’ve done really good to keep her in a flame-resistant blanket and have her hold a wet towel to . She was hysterical when we found you two. She was afraid you died because you were trying to keep her safe.”

 

Kyungsoo sighs in relief upon hearing the good news, and he nods as he feels the familiar prick in his eyes, but he doesn’t care. He lets himself cry, and Jongin panics at the choked sobs and at the sight of his lover in tears. He takes Kyungsoo’s hands into his own, and runs his thumbs over the back of his hands reassuringly.

 

“W-Why are you crying, baby? Does it hurt anywhere?” Jongin stutters. He’s only seen Kyungsoo cry a few times, and he honestly doesn’t know how to interpret Kyungsoo’s tears every time it happens. Kyungsoo only shakes his head and smiles brightly at him, and Jongin thinks he’s fallen in love again with those perfectly heart-shaped lips and those doe eyes that curve into pretty little almonds when he smiles.

 

“Nothing, Jongin. I’m just happy. I’m glad you were there for us. Thank you for being there on time to keep us alive.” Kyungsoo answers as he grasps Jongin’s hand and brings it to his lips for a kiss, but Jongin does not miss the slight frown that flashes through his boyfriend’s face.

 

“No, hyung, I’m not buying that. I saw that frown just now,” Jongin whines in disapproval. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

Kyungsoo drops his head for a little while. He really can’t keep anything from Jongin, not when the younger man watches his expressions like a hawk. “I-I’m just thinking I’ve been very stupid. I put you in danger by having you come to rescue us and I don’t think you deserve me –”

 

“Nonsense, hyung,” Jongin barks, and Kyungsoo is surprised at the sudden harsh tone. “This is what I’m trained to do every day, Kyungsoo, and you know that very well. I put my life on the line every single day with the line of work I do, and I understand that your own job demands the same of you. I worry about it sometimes, but I push the thoughts away because we both made the choice to live risky lives.”

 

“But, Jongin,” Kyungsoo whispers, “You don’t deserve to keep worrying about me. You deserve someone who can put your mind at ease because they’re not putting themselves at risk every single day, someone who can be with you, welcome you home at the end of the day and make you feel safe. I honestly think life with me is everything but safe, so I don’t understand why you stay with me.”

 

Jongin groans in frustration as he moves to sit beside Kyungsoo. “You’re very stupid to be thinking that way, Soo,” he whispers as he takes Kyungsoo’s hand in his own and intertwines their fingers together. “I didn’t choose to love you because I wanted a safe kind of life.”

 

“You and I,” Jongin continues as he brings Kyungsoo’s hand to his waist, and Kyungsoo can’t help but pull Jongin into his arms as Jongin leans into him. “We’re very alike, Kyungsoo. We’re both unpredictable and we’re living lives that demand us to take risks. We can’t help but worry about our tomorrows because of all the risks we need to take.”

 

“But with you, hyung, I can think about our yesterdays and todays. I can think about what we’ve gone through, and what we’re going to experience today, and I can continue to hope for a better tomorrow for us, because I know you’ll be there.”

 

Jongin pulls Kyungsoo’s arms tighter around his waist, and rests his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder before pressing a soft kiss to his lover’s neck.

 

“Everything feels dangerous, risky and insecure, hyung, and I don’t know what our tomorrows have in store for us, but I’m staying. I know you’ll be here, and my entire world feels safe when I’m in your arms.”

 

Kyungsoo can only feel his tears cascading down his cheeks, and then he registers Jongin’s lips giving him a kiss on the cheek. “I love you, Jongin,” he murmurs as he pulls the younger up to see him face to face. “Thank you for never giving up on me.”

 

“I love you too, hyung,” Jongin breathes as their lips meet in a gentle kiss. “Never think that I don’t deserve you because then I’ll say that I’m the one who doesn’t deserve someone as wonderful as you.”

 

Jongin switches their positions, and Kyungsoo is now safely cradled in his arms. “Just as my entire world feels completely safe from all the dangers of the world when I’m in your arms, I want you to feel the same way. I’ll always be here to love you and protect you.”

 

As their lips meet again, Do Kyungsoo realizes his mundane life is already perfect, because all he has to think about now is Jongin, of their yesterdays and todays, and of their wishes, dreams and hopes for the tomorrows that are yet to come.

 

 

 

Author’s Note: OKAY OKAY to be honest this was entirely new to me lmao and this is another monster yes XD Especially the police officer!Kyungsoo and fire fighter!Jongin bc omfg I’m not an action/mystery writer but I had to write in a little bit of action with this. I blame you Alanna lmao TBH I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING HALF THE TIME  bc I’ve never written like this before! I had a hard time figuring out how to end this but I guess I fell back to using my slice of life approach to ending things lol.

The ending was a little disappointing to me tbh but I guess I’ll find to rewrite this someday :O Please upvote and comment what you think! I’m also on Twitter if anyone wants to talk ;) @timelessnotes