Rebel Without A Cause (Chanbaekk ver)

Rebel Without A Cause (Chanbaekk ver)

Baekhyun's POV

 

It's always the same. We're expected to behave in a very specific way, at a very specific time, to a very specific audience. Society has shaped us, I would say corrupted but we know nothing else and have never honestly desired to. 

 

Most ignore it, rarely, some will fight it, and me? I simply don't have the time, energy, or desire to go against what seems to, just barely, work. 

 

We have a very specific method of doing things. We're told what hobbies to have. What food to eat. Who to talk to. How to look. Everything is predetermined but I wasn't raised to care.

 

I'm not an individualist, no matter how much I'd like to be just a little bit different, I know there's no point because fighting what society has chosen is something of a death sentence. 

 

So I won't. Nope. I'll be a good little boy like my conformist parents want. Their precious Byun Baekhyun.

 

My 17th birthday wasn't long ago and that meant I finally could have something that nobody else could have.

 

Some girl out there was destined for me and only me. It's no matter if I love her, or if she loves me. We would fit together like a jigsaw and she would be the one thing that makes me different from the rest of this God-forsaken city.

 

I made no fuss when my parents drag me into the 'party' like the rest of these poor kids and we mingle mindlessly because we're told to do just that.

 

I don't bother paying attention to any other patrons. It's unlikely she'll be from my town, or even region.

 

No. Most likely she'll be some petite, quiet girl, with a lisp, if I'm lucky. At least she'd be different.

 

The party drags on as we're force fed appetizers and ramble on about pointless things. 'You look handsome.' 'Are you excited?' 'I remember when I met my soul mate.' It was annoyingly redundant.

 

I must have been congratulated over a dozen times by people I've never met and wished good luck by another half dozen.

 

I was bored, simply because this party was dull. We couldn't even flirt because if she isn't Miss Right, we might as well slap a scarlet 'A' on our chest. 

 

No. Keep your blinders on boys. Nothing to see here. 

 

Finally, after memorizing the gaudy ballroom twice and staring holes into the large screen at the back of the stage, we were seating to the host liking. Our matching black suits and dresses made us blend into each other and seem more suited for a funeral than a marriage banquet.

 

None the less we begin. The host is an overly chipper, fake blond woman, whose voice was squeaky but demanded attention. She seems horribly out of place amongst the sea of brown haired men and women. 

 

"Evening ladies and gentleman. I trust you've enjoyed the food and company." No. "Welcome to the 24th annual Marriage Commencement Ceremony." There are quiet cheers from those unaware of how to react. "Shall we begin?" The blond chirps and turns to what appears to be a program of some sort and smiled as she reads the first name.

 

"Lui Amber." Her voice is suddenly sharp, as if daring the girl not to show her face. 

 

In half a second, a short haired girl is shoved forward with a distinct glare in her mother’s direction. None the less she steps up.

 

They always step up.

 

A tight smile appears on the blond woman's face as she helps Amber onto the stage to stare at the over sized screen, hovering over her.

 

Almost immediately the screen begins to flip through face after face. Nobody can make out the pictures before they're gone and not a few seconds later a young boy appears on the screen. He has short dark hair, chubby cheeks, and a baby face.

 

At the bottom of his handsome picture a name is stamped. 

 

Lau Henry.

 

Chinese?

 

That's new...

 

Lucky .

 

She just stands and stares. She seems...pleased enough. Her face is practically unreadable but she isn't crying or screaming, so she must at least find him attractive. 

 

Lucky .

 

More names, each matched with their soul mate.

Kim Hyuna, a tiny y brunette was paired up with a pleasant smile of her face. Lee Jinki smiled charmingly when a slender, long haired brunette with a pretty face flashed across his screen. Ahn Jaehyo barely stomached the ordeal. He seemed unwilling at first. He was obviously in love.

 

An absolute sin in our society. To choose your mate, outside of the government ideals was shameful and if he make it known, his family name would, by tomorrow, be trash.

 

There was always one but for the most part the teens of the night would be indifferent. What do we really care about a clone that is decided to be our future?

 

"Byun Baekhyun." I freeze and my breath is caught, for what reason? I don't know. I was ready for this. Definitely ready.

 

I step up to the stage as gracefully as I can manage. Good last impression, Baekhyun.

 

I offer a warm smile to the blond and she seems very pleased with my behavior and turns me to the screen with a soft hand on my shoulder. 

 

My stomach is in complete knots. Girl after girl is flipped past. I can't see faces, so I simply close my eyes and beg for something special. Foreign. A mole. No teeth. Anything.

 

I beg the computer silently until gasps break out around me, making my eyes snap open.

 

Park Chanyeol.

 

Park Chanyeol.

 

A boy.

 

A boy with red hair. 

 

I gape and turn to the wide eyed, horrified blond beside me. She begs for the screen to change, glaring at the computer for a long second and I sigh. 

 

Muttering breaks out but I remain straight faced. Don't show emotion Baekhyun, don't show emotion. 

 

To me this is nothing but amusing. A boy. I was matched by the 'oh so perfect' government with a boy! I can't help but let out a quick chuckle and eyes flew to me, making me go stiff.

 

"It seems you chose me a soul mate.” A smooth deep voice sounds and I hold my breath. “I’d assumed you'd ignore my presence." I wring my hands at the smile in his words

 

He's here? 

 

He's, ing, here? 

 

Impossible! Mates are chosen almost exclusively from neighboring towns. We're destined by the government to not meet until the appropriate time but that's the least of my worries.

 

It's a boy. Soul mates can't be the same . Boys and girls. That's the way the government wants it, so that is the way the computer will match us.

 

"It's nice to meet you Byun Baekhyun." His almost mocking words make me turn and I stare into the dark eyes of the boy from my screen.

 

He blends in terribly. A flawless white suit, making him look like a member of the staff. Somehow I'm sure he did that on purpose.

 

His almost florescent red hair is somehow attractive but I'm sure that's to taste. His smirk doesn't fall as his narrowed eyes rake over my body.

 

Holy , he's checking me out! I swallow dryly when he finally reaches out to take my hand in his and gives it a sarcastically romantic kiss.

 

It all snaps together at once, the hair, the behavior, the suit...he's an anti-nationalist.

 

 

He's dead to the government, shunned by society, and...my soul mate?

 

I was matched with a rebel? What the hell is that supposed mean? I am the perfect civilian. I've conformed down to how often I cut my, ing, hair. Chanyeol notices my nervous gaping and winks, tapping my chin closed with his index finger and finally taking my hand in his.

 

"I must thank you. He's beautiful. Seems well mannered. The perfect hatchling for your corrupted society but...you're giving up one of the elite to me?" The boy chuckles and tugs me down the stairs with a grin but  my wrist is snatched by the blonde woman, who scowls at Chanyeol.

 

"What did you do?" She hisses, he only offers a charming smile.

 

"I didn't do a thing. You're computers must have ed up but I like him." Chanyeol his lips with a disarming look in his eyes. "Exactly my type." He mumbles and I shuffle my feet until he forces eye contact again. He doesn't say a word, or even move. He only stares, drawling small circles on my palm while I continue to drown in his presence. 

 

"This is unacceptable." The blonde snaps and suddenly my parents are beside me.

 

“Baekhyun, sit back down. They'll pick again next year." My mother insist with a tight smile but I feel myself pout, turning absently to the boy in front of me.

 

I still find this terribly funny. Could he get anymore perfect? He's...a rebel. A, ing, rebel. One of those, 'nowhere to lay my head but live by my own rules because I want a, goddamned, life' guys. I smile to myself.

 

What was he even doing here?

 

He is going against the system and doing everything he can to make himself different. He wants a boy because it's wrong. He has red hair because it's wrong. He wears a white suit because it's wrong. He doesn't follow the rules because it's wrong and he came to this God-forsaken ceremony because he wants to drag his mate into it. 

 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes at my parent’s demand and snakes his arm over my shoulder, pulling me toward him until I'm wrapped tightly in his arms.

 

Our proximity is...intimidating. I'm lost in him again. His breath caresses my face and I feel my face grow hot when his fingers caress my cheek. His stare is intense and surprisingly seductive. 

 

The room is silent. Nobody makes a move and I have no idea why, nor do I care. I've been left to my own devices to reject this man that is obviously about to kiss me.

 

"They can't touch us now.” He whispers and stare, wordless and breathless when he tips me back, knocking me off balance just enough for me to wrap my arms around his neck in an attempt to save myself.

 

The physical contact has my pulse racing and I beg the question 'Is this how everyone feels when they find their soul mate?'. I close my eyes, thoroughly humiliated and thoroughly enthralled. 

 

His lips press to mine and I feel my heart beat out of my chest. My eyes snap open and I struggle for a moment, entirely at a loss but when I feel his grip relax, I re-grip his collar in a desperate attempt to apologize.

 

He smiles against my lips and holds me to him again. The heat of his mouth pressed to mine feels surprisingly perfect. Like I'd been expecting this all along.

 

The gawking and disproving stares are lost on me when I feel his soft lips continue to mesh with mine in quick kisses, putting an end to the first but I my head to deepen the kiss, not willing to release my new found other half, who appears amused at my sudden taste for his mouth against mine. I his lip dumbly, feeling his smirk and the haughtiness of it against my mouth.

 

He takes a moment to shove me against a nearby wall and tangles his fingers into my hair, reattaching our lips expertly.

 

I claw at his shoulders and let his mouth caress my own. He into my mouth and I don't fight the almost immediate moan when or tongues touch, this makes not only our audience but me gasp at my crudeness but still no actions are taken. 

 

I have no idea why they can't touch us but Chanyeol was right. We're beyond hope. I'm wrapped up in his presence with no plans of changing that. He has a grin plastered on his handsome face when he pulls away, peppering kisses across my flushed face.

 

"You hate them don't you?” He hums against my neck. “You hate all of this?” He continues up my jaw. “I'm the best thing that's ever happened to you." He chuckles to himself while I keep my nails dug into his jacket, not trusting my legs when he lets his tongue press against my pulse.

 

"We're in public." I whine and he cuts me off with a chaste kiss.

 

"You'll do just fine."

 

Anyway, do you like it?

A lot of subs wanted a sequel last time I posted this but I’m sorry guys that’s probably still not a possibility. Please just try to enjoy this as a oneshot and pleas be generous with comments/upvotes for me please.

P.S.  I. Am. So. Tired. 

I'll see you soon, okay! <3 Have happy thoughts and authornim loves you!