Came and went

A Tide of Attention

Baekhyun thought his heart was going to jump out. 
OMFG LUHAN’S IN FRONT OF ME, HE’S IN FRONT OF ME ASCKJASDJABKCBAND HE’S TALKING TO ME *SQUEAAAAL* PLUS HE KNOWS MY NAME, HE KNOWS MY NAMEEEE WAIT WHY DOES HE KNOW MY NAME


“Yea.” Baekhyun managed to squeeze out rather calmly while his heart was practicing for the Olympic championship in jumping.

“Would you mind that I sit here with you?”

HE WANTS TO SIT WITH ME, THE LUHAN WANTS TO SIT WITH MEEE 

“Yes! I mean no! I mean, no problem! Go ahead!” Baekhyun breathed out. He had been holding his breath since he noticed Luhan to prevent hyperventilation.  Surely, Luhan wasn’t good for his health.

Calm down, Baekhyun. Baekhyun told himself. Regardless of whatever god blessed reason behind why Luhan has decided to sit with him, he least attempt to let Luhan leave thinking he’s just a quiet person, not a socially inept idiot. 
    
“Sorry if I’m making you uncomfortable, you probably don’t even know who I am.” Luhan nervously laughed in his formal, accented Korean and smoothly reached out his hand across the table. “I’m Luhan.”

Baekhyun grabbed his hand while subduing the temptation to scream out loud of joy. “I know.”

“You do?”

Oh . Baekhyun thought to himself. “I-I mean, Sehun’s talked about you.”

Luhan stared blankly at Baekhyun, as if he was trying to recall who Sehun was. “Sehun.... Oh! Sehun! The blonde boy in science class!”

Baekhyun laughed, earning a confused look from Luhan. “That’s his name. You just said his full name.”

Luhan still looked confused, so Baekhyun explained. “His name is Oh Sehun. Oh is his last name.”

“Ohhhh,” Luhan smiled, with his eyes twinkling. Baekhyun felt like squealing. “I see, that’s funny. He talks about me? I hope it hasn’t been anything too bad.”  

“No, no, it’s not anything like that. I asked him about seniors in humanities…”

, don’t tell him about my getting after school tutoring. He’ll think I’m a total idiot. 

“Uhh, just who’s good in literature since I’m in humanities too and I was curious because ... uhh I .. want to read their work... and compare... ”

Great, now I sound like a competitive brat.

But Luhan just nods in understanding. “No, of course. I'm not surprised since you're such an outstanding student in literature.”

“No no no I was just asking because … wait, what?” Baekhyun’s looked surprised. Did he just say I am oustanding in literature? Well, I know I am … but how does he know?

As if he was able to read Baekhyun’s mind, Luhan smiled and explained. “Mrs. Do always gushed about you. You are the one who won both the national writing competition and the school’s Academic Award every year, isn't that right? And weren’t you the one who was selected to represent Hwang High School at the National Academic Convention in Humanities in sophomore year? You even surmounted the top ace student in our class so Mrs. Do kept on boasting about you nonstop.” Luhan slightly chuckled at the memory.  

“Once we spent a class period analyzing some of the poems you wrote, but when we weren’t able to dissect them completely, she gave us your analyses as homework. 30 pages of analysis for each poem! Our class was flabbergasted!"

Baekhyun blushed and hid his face while Luhan was busy laughing. He wasn’t sure if he should feel flattered or flustered that Mrs. Do held him in such high regard. He may have gone a bit overboard on his papers but that’s because he really liked literature and it was his biggest passion—until Luhan came into picture—but he never expected Mrs. Do to give them out as homework! And to Luhan’s class too! 

He must think I’m some literature freak! Quick, quick! Divert attention from myself!
    

“H-ha ha, what about you? You-you’re quite something yourself. You were put in the advanced humanities classes immediately after you transferred to this school, you're double majoring in literature and psychology, and you won one an Academic Award yourself last year!" Baekhyun retorted before quickly adding ”... or at least that’s what I’ve heard.”

Luhan stopped laughing and now it was his turn to look flustered. “Oh ... regarding that ... I took a couple advanced courses in China so I got excused from a few classes..” he started explaining. “And I’ve only managed to obtain one prize, you’ve won 2!” 

“You’ve only been here for 1 and a half year!” 

“Y-yea, but you were just a freshman when you won your first award, I was already a junior!”

“You had just transferred here!”

“And you’re a straight A student!”

“You’re straight A humanities student and you’re taking advanced science courses!” 

“I-I just took a lot of courses in China and I got credits for them, that’s all!”

“Those were advanced courses!”

“I’m a year older than those in my class!”

“… not only are you top of your class, a student of both advanced humanities and advanced science classes, double-majoring, a full scholarship student…” Baekhyun continued vehemently. “You’re also the captain of the varsity soccer team!”   

“You make it sound way greater than it is.” Luhan pouted. “And I just like soccer.”

    
Luhan then caught Baekhyun’s eye and they both broke into laughter. 
“Are we having a fight?” Luhan laughed happily because of how amusing the whole situation was. Baekhyun, however, laughed awkwardly partly of the situation and partly of the relief and embarrassment that washed over him. He had lost himself in the heat of the argument, letting his fanboy mode take over but fortunatenly, Luhan didn’t seem to notice that Baekhyun knew way too much about him for someone who he had just met. Luhan was so casual and humble; it just made Baekhyun like him more. 

“And by the way, I’m not the ace student of my grade.” Luhan smiled. “He’s in my class. My achievements are nothing compared to his.”

“You were the top student of the humanities department,” Baekhyun countered. “I saw the ranking.” 

“Regarding that..” Luhan carefully scratched his head. “Uhm, that ....”

“Don't try to downplay it.” Baekhyun himself had to work his off for the last two years to achieve that spot himself.

Luhan, seemingly uncomfortable with the spotlight on himself, quickly switched the position. "But aren't you ranked first in your grade?"

“Only in the humanities department. I’m not the top of my class either.” Baekhyun answered a bit too enthusiastic for the context of the answer. He was just happy that he has another similarity with Luhan. 

“Do you know who holds that position?”
 
“Uhm… I’m not sure. Kim Suha? Kim Su something.” Baekhyun tried to recall. He didn’t really care about the spot because he wasn’t chosen. 

Hwang High School's ranking system was divided into 3 different rankings: one for each department - the humanities and sciences - and one for the whole class. Baekhyun had managed to secure himself the 1st spot on the humanities department twice thus earning himself two Academic Awards, but never the valedictorian title as it included scores from his non-major classes such as sciences, mathematics, history etc. 

While Baekhyun was a genius when it comes to literature, he was an idiot in everything else.  Since he knew he wouldn’t be able to get that spot he never tried and didn’t care about who got it. He secretly desired it, but that he’d never admit to anyone. 

“Kim Suho?” Luhan said, not really asking. “The President of Student Council, right? That makes sense.”

“You know him?” Baekhyun asked with an undertone of jealousy. Suho, as far as he knows, is a junior like himself. Why did Luhan know Suho? 

 “Not personally, but I’ve met him.” Luhan smiled. “And so have you!"

“I have?” Baekhyun barely remembered his name, less recalling his face.

“When we were given our Academic Award last year, he was the one who presented it to us. Do you not remember?”

“Uhh right, I think I remember.” Baekhyun didn’t remember . 

“Our class’ valedictorian was there too,” Luhan continued. 

“Oh, your classmate?” 

“Yes. He is really impressed by your works. He tried to greet you back then, but you were so evasive! Whenever we got close to you, you went in the opposite direction. It was almost as if you were avoiding us! ” Luhan laughed.

Baekhyun bit his lip. He remembered now. Last year during the award ceremony, when he wasn’t infatuated with Luhan yet, he tried to avoid Luhan at all cost by walking in opposite direction whenever he saw a blonde head surrounded by a bunch of people moving toward him. He doesn’t particularly remember Luhan’s classmate/valedictorian but then again he never even looked at Luhan’s direction. What a waste! And to think that Luhan had tried to talk to him! Stupid Baekhyun!

“… sorry, I didn’t really notice.” 

“He really wanted to get aquainted with you. You know, I think you guys would’ve gotten along well since you guys are both so talented in literature. Did you know that he has already published two books? He’s quite well-achieved.” Luhan babbled on and seemed apparently really fond of this person. 

“The reason why I was given the Academic Award last year was because he was absent so often so his attendance affected his scores. However, he still received the valedictorian badge, so in the end, the honor went to the rightful person."
    
“Right…that’s… good for him.” Baekhyun nodded disinterestedly, his eyes looking down. He was slightly annoyed at Luhan’s obvious admiration of this “valedictorian”. In Baekhyun’s mind, Luhan was number one, and he wanted Luhan to feel the same toward him.

“So .. uhmm.. ” Luhan awkwardly trailed off, noticing Baekhyun’s sudden fall in spirit. “Although I’ve heard so much about you, I never really got to meet you in person. And I thought I’d change that now.”

Baekhyun’s head jerked up and met Luhan’s friendly gaze with widened eyes.

Luhan wants to get to know me?
“Why do you look so surprised, Baekhyun-ah?” Luhan chuckled in amusement. “Am I frightening you?”
  
"W-what? I'm not scared." Baekhyun flushed. If you only knew why. "So .. how do you like it here?" Baekhyun diverted the attention back to Luhan. 

"Korea is very nice." Luhan answered simply. "The food and culture are good."  

"I mean .. do you like it here? Like, at our school?" 

"Oh! .. yes! It's very enjoyable here. I .." 

Luhan was interrupted when suddenly two girls came out of nowhere and plopped down next to him, one on each of his side. Only now did Baekhyun remember that he was in the library. He looked around and was shocked by the hoard of girls pressed together on the tables surrounding them, trying to eavesdrop. He had been so engrossed in the conversation with Luhan that he didn't notice the library had been filled with girls while they were talking.

"Hi Luhaaaan ~ fancy to see you here! What are you doing?" The girl on his left side said loudly in a high-pitched flirty voice. For a split second, Baekhyun thought he saw annoyance cross Luhan's face, but when he looked at Luhan again, Luhan was wearing his normal polite smile on his face. Must be my imagination. 

"Ohhh I've mis-wait! Aren't you Baekhyun?" The girl with the high-pitched voice had turned her face toward Baekhyun. Baekhyun took a closer look at the girl's face and woah, he admitted to himself. Damn, she's hot! "The literature genius in Junior year?" She asked loudly, with her eyes wide open, apparently impressed by his existence.  

"I've heard about him!" The girl on Luhan's right side chimed in and looked at Baekhyun with her long eyelashes. Oh damn. She's hot too. "You're the one who snatched the some presitigious position from our Channie, right?" 

"I remember that!" The left girl exclaimed in English and clasped her hand together dramatically. "He seemed a bit annoyed about it at first, but when he heard it was you, he accepted it immediately." She then laughed a silver laughter. "I've never seen Channie accept his defeat to anyone that quickly.. but then again, I've never seen anyone else beat Channie in a competition." 

Baekhyun had no idea who Channie was and wasn't interested in knowing. Baekhyun knew that the students in the school, especially the humanities department, can get very competitive and Baekhyun had experienced several students giving him jealous glances after he snatched first place both Freshman and Sophomore year. From the corner of his eyes, he noted that the surrounding girls gave similar glances to the girls next to Luhan.

"You must be amazing since even Channie acknowledges you!" 

Baekhyun started to feel annoyed. Who the is Channie? And why do I need his acknowledgment? He can go and my di

"You're like, super famous even though you're a underclassman!"

"Oh... you're seniors?" Baekhyun's annoyance evaporated immediately. He had thought they were underclassmen because he didn't recognize them. 

"Yeah, we're super close to Luhan." They giggled and leaned closer to Luhan who was still frozen at his spot. Baekhyun shifted his gaze to Luhan, who hadn't said anything the whole time. 

"My classmates." He curtly introduced them.

"I'm Jessica!" The girl on the left introduced herself, reaching out her fair, well-manicured hand to Baekhyun in a queen-like manner, which Baekhyun quickly but carefully shook. 

"And I'm Tiffany!" The other girl gave him a breathtaking eyesmile and for a moment, Baekhyun felt his heart clench. These are Luhan's classmates? He didn't know who he should feel envious of--of these girls or of Luhan.

"By the waaay, Luhan ~ have you heard that the Oh Corporation suddenly bought the bubble tea store next to the school? My parents told me yesterday." Tiffany now put her attention back to Luhan again. 

"Ohhhh right! I heard it too!" Jessica exclaimed. "They bought the whole chain, right? That's crazy, doesn't it cost like at least ten million dollars?"

Luhan remained silent.

"Hey, isn't Oh's heir an underclassman here?" Jessica suddenly recalled. "Now that I think about it.. I've never actually met him.. I don't know how he looks like.." 

"Oh! Oh! I know! I heard he's very handsome! Although I'm not sure if compared to Luhan.. " Tiffany giggled 

"I'm positive he's more handsome." Luhan answered with a polite smile.

"Oh I don't know .." Tiffany looked flirtingly at Luhan, who didn't seem affected the slightest, before lowering her voice, ".. but I also heard he's very scary. Rumors say he's an iljin, you know, those delinquent types.. "  

"Ah, really?!" Jessica gasped. "How?"

"They say he drinks a lot ... he always glares at people... I heard that the Oh company bought the bubble tea store in order to have security guards there to watch over him so that he doesn't get into trouble with the police."

"So that's why?! I thought it was weird how it was bought so quickly!"

"Yea, and apparently he always hangs out with another really scary looking guy that smokes .."

Whoops. Baekhyun thought. Never thought people would mistake a lollipop for a cigarette. 

"Everything about him is shady .. I also heard that the Ohs are planning on a world market monopoly. They've established worldwide connection. I think most recently, they've gained some black market contact with China, and they're meeting up with one of the most powerful business families.."

"I've heard that! The one that is believed to be affiliated with the ma.."

"Since he's an underclassman," Luhan suddenly interrupted but without a smile. "I'm sure he has plenty of time to improve and set himself on right path. I think it's more important that we, as upperclassmen, focus on setting good examples for them to follow, don't you all agree?" Then he smiled, but Baekhyun could see that it was strained. 

Jessica, impressed by Luhan's smart statement, nodded her head in agreement. Tiffany, completely missing the double meaning behind his words, agreed enthusiastically. "Yes, you're so right, Luhan! You're absolutely right!"

Baekhyun, not sure if he's supposed to laugh or cry at Tiffany's obliviousness to Luhan's smart retort obviously directed to her, decided to defend his friend's reputation instead. 

"Uhm.. Sehun's actually my friend.. and I can assure you he's anything but what the rumors say.." 

All three upperclassmen turned their heads and full attention toward Baekhyun.

"He just looks a bit intimidating, but he's .. well, anything but. Actually, he's the one who bought the bubble tea store nearby simply because .. he.. wanted to drink bubble tea.." Baekhyun trailed off. Great, I'm making him sound like an idiot. He is, but still.  

"HE'S YOUR FRIEND?! NO WAY!" Jessica and Tiffany both squealed in unison before they summoned a flood of questions. "You're friends with THE Oh Sehun? Wow! You sure it's the same Oh Sehun? How'd you meet? Is he just as handsome as they say he is? Have you been to his house? How tall is he?"  They excitedly asked Baekhyun with stars in their eyes as if they completely forgot that they were just disparaging his friend a few seconds ago. With just one statement, "iljin Sehun" became "THE Oh Sehun." Hah, don't make me laugh. 

"Uhm..."

 

"BE QUIET!"


Suddenly booming, hoarse voice rummaged through the library.

All three of them jumped. Baekhyun looked over Luhan's shoulder to see the library lady stomping toward their table.

"Oh , it's Mrs. Buttock .." Tiffany whispered to Jessica, whose face turned pale.

"She's still mad at me for accidentally knocking my powder onto one of her stupid book collection, she's gonna get me into so much trouble .. ."

"WHAT'S GOING ON, WHY ARE YOU ALL SO YAPPY?!"

Suddenly she was in front of their table, screaming furiously.

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID YOU NEED TO BE QUIET IN THE LIBRARY. IT'S THE LIBRARY. LIBRARY. NOT THE LUNCHROOM, NOT THE PARKING LOT, NOT THE GYMNASIUM. THE LIBRARY."

She then stopped to catch her breath before quickly resuming her yelling, turning to Jessica.

"I'M SO SICK OF HEARING YOUR DOLPHIN VOICE SCREECHING THROUGH THE AIR, RUINING THE TRANQUIL AND PEACEFUL ATMOSPHERE OF THE LIBRARY."

Catching Tiffany, who was trying to hide behind Luhan, she directed her glare and yelling to her.

"AND YOU, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE. I CLEARLY GAVE YOU A WARNING TO NEVER ENTER THE LIBRARY AGAIN AFTER YOU RUIN--" She stopped abruptly when she finally noticed Luhan sitting between them. With a pink blush apparent on her cheeks, she cleared and spoke in a soft, unfamiliar, velvety voice. "Oh, Mr. Luhan ~ you're still in the library?" 

Vomit.

"Yes, Ms. Buddock. I have lunch this period." Luhan politely smiled.

"I kn--I mean, I see ~ I didn't notice that you had changed your usual table ~" 

"I decided to join my friend, Baekhyun today." Luhan responded and waved his hand elegantly toward Baekhyun.

Baekhyun held his breath when Ms. Buddock slowly turned her gaze toward him. Baekhyun had never felt so uncomfortable in his life; her eyes were fixed onto every inch of his face, as if trying to memorize his existence. 

"We apologize for being inappropriately loud." Luhan continued politely. "I think the bell's about to ring soon.. "

"Oh-h, no, it's alright Mr. Luhan .. it wasn't.. "

 "... so I think I'll take my leave now." As a cue, the sound of the bell rung through the hallway. Luhan quickly retracted his chair, grabbed his bag, and within seconds he was already standing up, ready to leave. 

"It was nice to finally having met you, Baekhyun. Let's talk again soon." He politely nodded to Baekhyun and quickly exited the library before anyone else had made a move. Mrs. Buddock, surprised at Luhan's quick escape, simply stood there staring at the exit Luhan had just left. Jessica and Tiffany, seeing the opportunity of Mrs. Buddock distracted, quickly followed Luhan's example and ran to the exit.

"Bye Baekhyunnie!" Soon the library was filled with noise and sound of chairs being pulled as all the other girls surrounding their table got ready to go to their next classes. Nobody paid Baekhyun any mind. Mrs. Buddock, finally coming to her senses, tried to cover up her prior state of stupor by yelling at the girls as she walked back to her desk.

"HURRY UP AND GO TO YOU NEXT CLASSES. NO LOITERING IN THE HALLWAYS!" 

Baekhyun, still dazed by the situation, wasn't able to move from his seat. Everything had happened so fast. He tried to process what had just happen in his head.

Luhan... THE Luhan .. finally talked to me ... and then he ... ran away?

Finally snapping out of it, Baekhyun hurridly packed his bag and ran out of the libary. Although today could be classified as the worst day of the worst days in his life with his almost failing in literature class, accidentally letting Sehun consume all his cookies, and experiencing Mrs. Buddock's vomit-inducing bipolar personality, Baekhyun couldn't help but feeling a warm, tingling feeling spread over his body. His heart beating rapidly even after having crossed the finish line.