Chapter 2

The thoughts from the dead

“She’s still alive, but in a very critical condition.” The doctor continued. “When will she be okay?” Kris asked. “It may took a very long time, it’s a miracle that the girl survived with the blood loss and rat poison inside her body.” the doctor added. God helped her, what a relief. “Thank you doctor, can i see her?” Kris asked again. “You may, after we transferred her into her ward.” The doctor continued. “Oh, if you can. Can you transfer her into first class ward?” Jessie asked, the doctor nodded and went back inside the E.R. Kris and Jessie let out a sigh of relief “Thanks for giving me a call Jessie.” Kris said gratefully to Jessie. Jessie smiled and pat his back “No problem, good thing we’re right on time.”

 

The E.R door went ajar, the nurses we’re taking the girl out to transfer her into a first class ward. Kris and Jessie followed them till they arrived inside the ward—Kris eyed the girl from top to bottom. Even though her skin was pale and her lips was not as red as before, to his eyes, she’s still the most prettiest thing he has ever seen. The nurses had left the room, Jessie and Kris took a seat beside the girl’s bed.

 

“I should’ve came sooner, i could save her.” Kris exclaimed. He was frustrated with himself and he clenched his fists, Jessie gently held on his shoulder, calming him. “You’ve done your best for Lizzie, she’s probably proud of you.” Jessie tried calming him and gave him a small smile. Kris’s placed his hand onto Lizzie’s, he took a good grip and kissed it. It was his first time doing it, it was his first time touching her. When he first saw her, he could only fancy her and took care of her from a distance. He couldn’t approach her—He can only know news about her from her best friend, Jessie. “It’s my fault.” Kris exclaimed suddenly as tears fall from his eyes.

 

“What do you mean?” Jessie was confused. Why is it his fault? “She had to go through a lot of things alone. I shouldn’t have been a coward and just let her drown, i was too afraid to approach her…If i was brave enough back then—she wouldn’t done this…She wouldn’t feel alone.” Kris admitted with full of regret. He clenched Lizzie’s hand hard and cries silently. “Kris, please… Stop blaming yourself…Really, it’s not your fault! Lizzie would be upset if you keep blaming yourself.” Jessie retorted. She took a good grip on Kris’s shoulder and tried to hold back her tears. Honestly, she felt guilty too.

 

She was Lizzie’s one and only companion, she was her guardian and sister, she gave Lizzie a shoulder to cry on, she told Lizzie to just spill all of her problems, unfortunately Lizzie liked to keep mostly in her head and made it haunt her. Jessie took a good look at her best friend’s face, she couldn’t believe the body that’s laying in front of her is actually her one and only best friend.

 

Her face was anaemic, she was a bit underweight and the scars in her arms and feet was evident. Jessie knew that Lizzie cuts herself and thought she had stopped, those scars look quite brand new. They heard the door open and saw the nurse with a clipboard in her left arm.

 

“Visiting hours are up.”

 


 

Kris and Jessie went inside Lizzie’s home. The place was quiet and like the usual, Lizzie’s parents were nowhere to be seen. “I bet they don’t even know their daughter is battling her life in the ward.” Jessie predicted. Lizzie’s parents were never home and was rarely there for her. They couldn’t even make it home so in advance, they gave financial support by passing the cash in Lizzie’s bank account. “Well, at least they cared about my financial support.” Jessie remembered Lizzie saying that to her the past nights.

 

Lizzie would spend most of her time alone in that big house, wondering around in her father’s dusty office and her mother’s beautiful garden. Jessie would always had sleep overs with Lizzie to keep her company, Lizzie would always cook herself food and to be honest, Lizzie was a great chef.

 

Her passion on food making amazes Jessie, she would sometimes decorate her dishes and took pictures. “You should take culinary when you’re older.” Jessie suggested. Lizzie smiled at her and took a last look on her edibles, “I might be.” Lizzie replied shortly. It was hard to see Lizzie smile, she barely smiles because god-knows-why. Jessie would sometimes secretly give the edibles to kris for him to taste, Kris was impressed to taste the food that the quiet girl could make. He knew what she was capable of, and he loved her more.

 

Jessie and Kris wondered in her house for a couple of minutes. Cleaning things that they should clean, moving the things that they should move. Jessie was busy in the kitchen while Kris decided to go upstairs. He entered every room from her parents’ to the guest room to her father’s office and finally, Lizzie’s room.

 

Kris pushed the squeaky door open. Her room was neat and clean and brilliantly designed. The walls were painted black, red and white, cream coloured furniture and there’s also a notice board to keep her work organised. Kris admit that Lizzie was an organised person, he kept eying the room that smells like lavender, he went to her mirror table. Her make up collection was mostly eyeliners, lip make up and compact powders. Lizzie was a simple person,   Kris thought she had the most natural looking face even with little make up. Unlike some girls in his school that might take hours and hours to get ready caking up their face.

 

Kris used to date those kind of girls and to be honest, it was a bad experience. The plastic looking girl made kris wait in the rain for three hours on their first date, and the girl wants too much expensive things, she was also clingy as hell and worse, envy. Their relationship didn’t last longer than a month. It was hard to break up with her because she kept begging and gave him threats. Kris solved everything swiftly and he swore to himself that he’ll never fall for someone like that ever again. It was a horrible experience, he starts to question why didn’t he saw Lizzie sooner.

 

Kris started to check on the drawers at Lizzie’s mirror table.  They were lots of photos and papers, some empty nail polish bottles and blades. Kris took the blades and threw them in the tiny cute looking dustbin beside the table. He didn’t want Lizzie’s demons telling her to cut again, Kris opened the other one and saw something interesting.

 

A book, vintage floral hard-covered book with a purple strap. Kris picked it up and scanned the book, he thought twice about looking at the insides. His curiosity went over board as his fingers pushed the strap and his hands decided to flip some of the pages inside.

 

It was a diary.

It was Lizzie’s diary.

 

Kris scanned every page slowly and began reading one of the entries.


 

12th February 2014

13:31pm

 

Jessie left to buy lunch and the line was long. So i decided to pull this out and began writing about my day today. To be honest, i began thinking about Jessie’s opinion about me joining the arts club. I doubt it, because i began cutting again and i’m scared if they see my scars…

 


“What are you doing?"

 

Kris was startled and quickly closed the book and hid it behind his back. “N-nothing.” Kris stuttered. God, Jessie nearly gave him a heart attack. Jessie arched her eyebrow and leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed. “Anyway, i called you several times downstairs to eat. I thought you were dead so i ran up here.” Jessie concluded.

 

Kris face palmed. “I’m obviously alive okay? I’ll be downstairs in a minute. I need to do some…’research’.” Kris bit his lower lip. Jessie rolled her eyes “enjoy your view here and hurry down stairs, okay?” Jessie claimed and walked away. Kris took a sigh of relief, good thing Jessie was gullible. Kris took the diary and hid it under his shirt.

 

He might need it for… research.


Hi.

Long hiatus, i know. I've been so busy lately trying to catch up with my studies since i've been off college for a month because my class is practicing for a performance for national day in my country. =) And plus, i've been so tired lately with life so.. Since i've got the free time.. Might as well update. This chapter seems longer... right?

Anyway, that's it. Please look forward for more ;)

Bai.