9

New Story

Ever since I realized I like Jia, nothing changed between us. We still talked like before; we still did things together like before. The only difference is, my heart keeps racing and I smile more often. After I found out about my parents’ divorce, and the whole thing with Eunji, I've been in a big slump. I didn't smile or laugh much as before. With Jia on my mind I was beginning to forget all of those things and smile even wider.

Obviously I wasn't getting very far by smiling. Unlike Sunggyu, I had no courage to confess to her. I mean, I've been friends with her since middle school. Sure, it hadn't been a long time but she already considered me as a best friend. It would be difficult for our relationship to go into a romantic one at that point and if she didn't like me back, it would create an awkward situation and I didn't like the thought of that. I was scared to tell her I liked her. I still like her and I never had the guts to tell her. Because of my cowardly personality, I lost that chance. I lost that chance one week before Sunggyu's birthday in April.

Spring had finally arrived and the cherry blossoms were falling everywhere. It was a nice, breezy day and Jia called me out to the park. The park was full of people of all ages because of the cherry blossoms. I met Jia at an empty bench and sat down beside her. "This is nice," I said, referring to the atmosphere.

"Yeah, I guess." Then, I noticed how distracted she looked.

"Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh. Yeah, I'm alright. I'm just staring at the flowers in the sky."

"Do you want to walk around?" I suggested and she agreed. We got up and walked around the park. Since cherry blossom season was ending, the petals were being blown away by the breeze. There was a strong gust of wind and the petals got stuck on our head and shoulders. We laughed and took them off of each other.

"I have to tell you something," she said as she pushed the petals off my shoulder. I shook my head and the pink petals that were on my hair rained down on her and she yelled. She punched my arm and I laughed, continuing to pull the petals that got tangled in her hair. "I went to see the flowers with Sunggyu last weekend," she continued.

"I know. He told me,” I replied, still picking it off her head.

"And something weird happened." I told her to go on. "It was a normal day between the two of us. We were just walking around like we are now and some flowers rained down on us. He joked around and posed with flowers on his ear and he danced around and...it was weird. Something happened."

I stopped picking the petals out and concentrated on her. "What happened?"

She panicked all of the sudden. "I don't know, it just happened. I don't understand how something like that could happen. He was just dancing with flowers on his head! He wasn't even doing anything cool or amazing."

I held on to her shoulders and calmed her down. "Tell me what happened. You're going too fast."

She closed her eyes and opened them again. "Woohyun, my heart was beating because he danced with flowers in his hair. I think I like him." Those words weren't the ones I wanted to hear. I didn't even get a chance and she tells me she likes him? I didn't know how to react so I just stared at her. How was I supposed to react? I was only her friend and she had no clues about my feelings.

She continued, "He was just being funny. He wasn't being cool like when he told my parents he liked me. He wasn’t mature like when he tells us to stop fighting. He was just being silly and my chest felt weird. When I came home, I asked myself why I felt that way. When I replayed the scene over and over again, my heart was still racing. Then, I thought I was just being too excited but when I came back to school on Monday, I couldn't act normal. I kept stuttering and muttering. Woohyun, tell me what's wrong."

That's what I did. I told her what was wrong: "You like him. You like Sunggyu."

She covered her face with her hands. "I'm not supposed to! I am supposed to like him, I am supposed to like..."

"Jia, calm down," I said. "Take a deep breath and talk slowly. I can't understand you."

She took her hands away from her face and looked at me. "What am I supposed to do? I wish I didn't have to tell you this but I don't have anyone else. Woohyun, tell me what to do and I'll do it. You're rational. I'll do whatever you tell me to."

Whatever I tell her to? It was tempting. I wanted to tell her to stay single for the rest of her life and if she didn't have anyone, she could go for me. Honestly that was how I felt at that time because I knew I had no chance. I could be her backup. They liked each other and what kind of friend am I if I didn't let them be together? Some may be greedy and confess but that wasn't me. That isn't who I am. So I said something that broke my own heart.

"He likes you. You like him. Give each other a try. I mean if you don't like each other after that, you can always come to me." I said it in a joking tone but we know it is how I really felt.

"Try it out? Should I? I'm scared. What if I really do like him?"

I smiled. "You're talking nonsense right now. Why would you be scared? You should be ecstatic that it worked out and you can give the credit to me, right?" She nodded hesitatingly and I patted her back. "You got this, girl. Make me proud."

On Sunggyu's birthday, they were an item. The news spread like a wild fire. Some even made bets but everyone was supportive of the couple, wishing they would last forever.

"Are you alright?"

I looked up from my assignment. It was Kang Won who asked. I remember this guy. He was the one who broke my laptop one day. He made such a big deal out of it. He paid the money to get it repaired but he still wouldn't let go of the guilt. He felt really guilty so he followed me around, paid for the snacks at the snack machine and slowly paid me the money to buy a new laptop because the notebook was beyond repair.  He was labeled as "Woohyun's Won." It’s a pun on “Woohyun’s money.”

"Yeah, why?"

"The whole thing about Sunggyu and Jia. Don't you like her?"

I laughed, "No, of course not! I'm only her friend. They like each other so I'm supporting them." If only I didn't have a crush on her, I would support them with an open heart but instead it hurt.

Whenever I hung out with them, I was the third wheel. They would be together side by side while I sat across from them. It wasn't too awakward because they still acted like we were all friends. They didn't single me out on anything. Instead, they included me. Sure, it would have made me feel better if I wasn't hopelessly in love with Jia. Other than that, I felt happy that they thought of my feelings. Sunggyu didn't act like a fool in love because he was aware of my feelings towards Jia. She didn't act like a girlfriend with Sunggyu because she thought I would feel awkward. Since we are all best friends, we talked it out with each other and things seemed to work out.

Of course every couple has their ups and downs. So did this couple and who gets to hear them rant? Me. I'm their guidance counsellor. Whenever they had problems with each other, they always came to me. I understand that they would tell me all their problems but it makes me uncomfortable, too. They make me want to punch some sense into the couple because their complaints are so picky I couldn't even stand it!

At one point during high school, I dated Nicole. I don't remember how it all started. I was just with Sunggyu and Jia as usual and Nicole sat down with us. I guess we hit it off and we started dating. We didn't date for long though. Her personality was the opposite of mine. She was way too loud and careless; not the type of girl I want to be with. We ended with mutual feelings.

 

 

We were on our last year of high school and everyone was ecstatic. They were talking about which college they were going to. The teachers told us to sit in the cafeteria and fill out application forms. While everyone was busy filling out their information, I left mine blank.

"Why aren't you filling that out?" Sunggyu asked. "Do you want me to fill it out for you? Is it one of your lazy days today?" Jia laughed and told him not to tease me.

"I'm not going to college," I said and the two of them looked up. They were silent, surprised by my sudden announcement. It was probably a shock to them. I was first in the school and I chose not to go to college. I mean, with my grades, I could easily get into any college I want with a scholarship. "I'm going to work," I told them. "With my parents’ situation, I don't think I can go to college."

"Why not?" asked Jia. "Their situation has nothing to do with you. They chose to keep their divorce a secret."

"I heard them argue. They were complaining about money. I want to work and give them the money, already. I can't live in that kind of environment anymore. I'll work, give them the money I earn and come clean with what I already know. I just want the useless arguing to stop."

Sunggyu placed his hand on my shoulder and gave me an encouraging pat. "Whatever you're doing, I'll support you. You don't have to go to school again right away. Who knows, choosing a gap year will be alright for you."

I broke the news to my parents and they didn't take it very well. Although I told them the money I would be earning will go to them, they still opposed my decision. Still, my decision didn't change and they couldn't do anything to change my mind.

Sunggyu and Jia lived on campus because the colleges were quite a far distance away from our town. I also had to commute a far distance to go to work because I got a job in the city. I worked full time at a cafe and part time tutor for younger kids. Those were the two jobs that kept me active for that one year.

At work I met these amazing people who are still my best friends till this day. One was named Dongwoo. He was one of the waiters at the cafe. The others were Sungyeol, and Sungjong. I also met this guy named Hoya whom I met through Sungjong. Those four guys meant a lot to me, after Sunggyu and Jia. They were the ones who kept me sane throughout the year. They made everything seem like nothing was wrong at all. They kept me sane for only a little while though before I went completely insane.

One day when I got back from work, my parents were unusually early that day. They were in the kitchen looking like normal parents which was unlike their usual attitude. My mom was cooking and my dad was reading the newspaper. There was no barking or yowling at all.

"I'm home," I announced warily. I had gotten my pay check so I placed it in front of my father. "You guys are home early."

"That's because we got a surprise for you," my mom said, turning off the stove. She wiped her hands on the wet cloth and took off her apron. She took the envelope of money it placed it in the drawer. "Let's go down to the parking lot."

I couldn't believe what was in front of my eyes. It was a brand new car. The surprising thing was, it was mine. My parents bought the car for me.

"We've been saving up to buy you this," my father said. "We've been saving up since last year when you got your driver's license. We wanted to buy you the car as a congratulatory present for your acceptance into a college but that was pushed back. We saw how diligent you were by working so we got you this. It's easier to get to the city in this."

I was so shocked; I couldn't even say anything. It was so unexpected. I never thought they would work together and actually get something for me, especially when they should be supporting themselves. I just thought the money they've been arguing for was for themselves but in fact, they were arguing about money for me.

"We'll don't just stand there. Try it out!" my mom exclaimed.

I got inside the car and the engine. It purred like a kitten. I got excited and checked out the car. I was so happy that I invited them to go on a drive. I forgot for a second that I was supposed to be mad at them. I forgot the fact that they were divorced. The excitement got over me and I wish it really hadn't. I regret letting them inside the car because not five minutes after they got in, a truck ran into my car. My parents died at the scene.


Why am I updating earlier than usual? Because there is only one chapter left before this story is done. I am so excited!