7

New Story

Finally, it's the day Eunji and Jia meet. They knew of each other but they haven't introduced themselves to one another. I wanted my two favorite girls at the time to meet each other. It was also a test to see if Eunji was compatible with me. She had to love Jia before she starts to think of anything beyond our relationship.

I told the both of them we'd meet at an ice cream bar. It seemed like the most friend friendly place. I walked hand in hand with Eunji into the bar. I looked around and saw Jia with Sunggyu sitting at a booth. He had ice cream in front of him and tried to feed her a spoon but she would just shake her head. Unconsciously, my grip on my girlfriend's hand tightened.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked. I snapped out of it and pulled my hand away from hers. "No. Come on, they're right there." I led her towards the booth. Sunggyu noticed and nudged Jia. She looked up and gave us a small smile.

"Hi, I'm Eunji," she introduced herself.

"I'm Sunggyu. And this is Jia. Take a seat."

We both sat down across from them. "Do you want something? I'll buy you something," I offered as a waiter came up to us with a paper and pen.

"I'll get a chocolate milkshake," she told the waiter. "And I'll get the cookies and cream." He wrote our orders down. He looked at Jia, asking if she was ready to order.

"She's sharing with me," Sunggyu said. The waiter nodded and went to the back to get our order ready.

"You're sharing? Oh my gosh, that is so cute!" Eunji exclaimed.

Sunggyu shrugged and looked at Jia as he spoke, "I just told him that because I didn't want her to look like a bad customer. She doesn't like eating ice cream in the winter." I didn't know that. I didn't know she doesn't eat ice cream in that kind of weather. "But why are you here?" I blurted out. "I only wanted her to meet Jia. You should keep your bad boy image."

"I asked him to be here," Jia spoke for the first time. "I thought your girlfriend should meet both your best friends."

"He's not my best friend," I mumbled.

"But are you guys dating?" Eunji questioned. "I've heard rumors about it because you guys are always together. There were rumors once that you and Woohyun were dating because you two were always together."

"And I'm jealous of that fact," Sunggyu said. "That they knew each other longer." He placed his hand on top of her head, his long fingers touching her forehead. "But Jia and I are only friends."

My girlfriend giggled. "It sounds like you like her." I lightly nudged her for saying that. The only major thing I didn't like about her was that she never thinks before she says something. The two looked at each other. He smiled while she frowned. He chuckled and answered, "It's only me who's stupidly in love with her."

Jia nudged him and asked why he had to say that. I agreed with her. Why did he have to say that in front of Jia? He says he wanted to end his crush, but he's not trying any harder. He's my friend, she's my friend. They're both good people. Why do I not feel happy for them?

"Jia, he just confessed to you! Aren't you going to reply? This is so amazing!" My frown grew bigger. Honestly, didn’t she know when to talk and when not to?

She sheepishly smiled, "We're just friends."

"By you guys will look so cute together! Have you even thought about it?"

"Uh..."

I interrupted, not liking where the conversation was heading, "Stop talking about it. They're just friends."

"But haven't you tried to get these two together? They're just perfect together."

"I'm telling you to stop talking about it,” I almost yelled.

"Okay, fine. I won't talk about it anymore. Sheesh, you're not fun." It wasn't because I lacked 'fun', it was because I didn't want them to get any ideas from her. I didn't want them to date and that's that. The rest of the meeting was fine. Eunji talked a lot of course, and the other two would reply. Her questions were mostly directed to Sunggyu for some reason. I wanted her and Jia to be comfortable with each other, not her and him. Also, Jia wasn't much of a talker that day. I found out why in the end when our meeting cut off short.

Sunggyu leaned over and whispered in Jia's ear while Eunji and I were talking. All of the sudden, he turned her head towards him by cupping her cheek and he rest his forehead on hers. "Oh my gosh," my girlfriend gasped. Jia jerked away and looked to the other side, her face flushed red. "You said they weren't dating!" she whispered to me. I didn’t even know what to say. What he did just shocked me. First, it shocked me because I never knew he was so bold. Second, I was shocked that I felt a tug on my heart. The feeling was familiar but why it happened at the time, I didn’t know.

"I'm sorry, but we have to cut this meeting short," he said. Jia held his shoulder and shook her head, "Not we. Him. He needs to go somewhere."

"No, we do." He slipped his jacket on and lifted her jacket up for her to slip on. "Jia here, has a high fever," he said as he tried to force her arms into the sleeves," but she didn't want to postpone this meeting. That's why I came with her, so she doesn't stay any longer than she has to."

So that's why she hadn't been talking a lot. That's why Sunggyu was the one who talked the most. She had a fever and she still showed up. "Why didn't you tell me?" I voiced. "I would have postponed it. This is not as important as your health, Jia. Why are you so stupid?"

"Well, Eunji means a lot to you. So I thought this meeting as important and I wouldn't dare miss it. And so far, I like her. She's a good person. I'm glad you found someone, Woohyun. Really." She smiled but it didn't really reach up to her eyes. It was probably because she was sick.

I sighed, "Take care of your health first, okay? There better not be a repeat of this. Sunggyu, take care of her." He nodded before the two exited the bar. At times I resent Sunggyu and at other times, I was glad he existed. He was there for Jia whenever I wasn't able to. He took my spot and I was kind of okay with that. At least someone I trust took that place.

The next time I saw her was at a talent show that took place in the cafeteria. With a school population that small, I'm surprised the school actually held one. We were going into the cafeteria by class. I walked in with mine and saw Jia walking in with hers. She had her arm linked with the girl named Nicole. I was glad she had a girl to call her friend but behind them was Sunggyu. He tried to break their link but the girls wouldn't let him. It was funny to observe but then my girlfriend came up to him and waved. He only responded with a nod and a smile. Why didn't she greet Jia? She was right next to him. I couldn't think about it much more when I had to sit down and the talent show commenced.

Apparently, she hadn't been greeting Jia at all and only greeted him. I didn't get to question her about it because it was obvious.

The next day was also my birthday. Ever since I found out about my parent's divorce, I wished there were no such things as birthdays. I didn't want them to talk to me; I didn't want them to congratulate me on becoming a year older with fake smiles. I wanted them to throw me away, throw me away to the orphanage. At least someone there will love me with a real smile etched on their face or even small eyes that look funny.

On February 8th, my parents congratulated me for my 17th birthday. I had a fake smile, just like theirs. They gave me a present. They didn't have to but for the sake of pretending to care about me, they did. They got me a new book bag. Of course they would. The only reason they still stayed together in this house was because they wanted me to become a lawyer or something. I never used that book bag. I think it's still in the storage closet.

When I came to school, Jia was the first one to greet me. She waited by the front gate to congratulate me for reaching an older age. I never found birthdays special but she did. She said birthdays were more important than every holiday because it's the day we were born, it isn't about the day we get older. She said being born was a gift.

Unlike my parent's lame present, she got me a video game. Video games were expensive so it was hard to believe she got that by herself. She said Sunggyu pitched in. She said he has a part time job because by next year, he'll be out of the orphanage. When she told me about that I wanted to thank him, too.

He wasn't in the classroom so we went to search for him. We could have searched for him during lunch but we had time. We finally spotted him in the hallway near the library. He was with someone. They were too far away to see who she was but her voice gave it all away. The library was not open yet so she didn't control her voice.

"Oppa, you said you aren't together!"

"I am not your oppa, I am in the same grade as you. Yes, we aren't together but you are. I can't believe you would go behind his back.".

"You're two years older than all of us. You're basically on your last year in terms of age."

"Then, you should call me sunbae because I don't want to hear that word from you. You're disloyal. You would go behind his back and ask me to date you." Then, I felt a hand on my arm. I felt my tense shoulders relax

"I never liked him in the first place. Sure, as I got to know him, I found some charms but I only did it because I wanted you."

"Who said I wanted you? I don't date girls who go behind my best friend's back."

"You two aren't even close."

"He might not think of me as a close friend but I do. So you better not talk to me about this anymore and I'll let this slide. You're lucky you have him as a boyfriend." He turned around and froze when he saw us. Eunji froze behind him.

I pushed off Jia's hand and walked towards them. I put on my best smile and yelled, "Hyung! There you are! We've been looking all over for you." I showed him the video game. "Thanks for this."

It was funny seeing him panic. "Uh...yeah. No problem. Happy birthday."

"For this, I'll treat you and Jia ice cream."

"But she doesn't like ice cream in the winter."

"She can have the waffle and you can have the ice cream part. I need both today. For some reason, I feel pretty lonely today."

"O-oh. Okay. Let's do that after school." I smiled and swung my arm around his shoulders. I walked with him towards Jia and hug my arm around her shoulders too. That's how it should be. Just the three of us and that's how the month went by. I didn’t even think about Eunji. I didn’t even talk to her about it. I just naturally thought we were done and over with. She wasn’t worth my time.