Chapter 5 (Your smile is like the sun)

Before Heaven

Hoya had found a part-time job at a convenience store in Seoul three months after settling down in this bustling city. Contrary to common belief, Hoya found University to be a breeze as compared to his hellish high school period.

 

And with dancing, the activity he had previously lived his life for out of the way, Hoya figured he had plenty of time on his hands. That wasn’t all apparently, as the Seoul accent used by the majority of his schoolmates intimidated him slightly; and the lesser he talked the more his schoolmates found him aloof, soon enough he was practically isolated from the different student groups that had formed quickly.

 

It’s all for the better this way…. and I get more time to study…  Hoya sighed as he scanned another item at the cash register. 

 

The store was littered with people in different corners for an afternoon that was normally void of customers, but these were people mostly hiding from the rain falling outside.

 

It was funny how the rain seemed to down in Seoul more often than in Busan, despite the latter being a coastal settlement by the sea. Hoya hated the rain, as it reminded him of the memories he desperately wanted to forget.

 

Sometimes he wondered if he will ever meet Dongwoo in Seoul, and if he could ever be casual enough to muster an awkward Hi to the man that had plagued his daydreams and his thoughts at night.  

 

Before Hoya had the time to turn from thanking the previous customer to calling the next in line, a hand drenched in the drops of rain had held onto his, dropping his single purchase into Hoya’s palm.

 

The object was cold due to its metallic packaging, shiny due to its reflective characteristic, and held the words Hoya recognized dearly. 박하사탕. Peppermint candy.

 

Dongwoo? Hoya glanced up instinctively, but his vision registered that of a stranger’s. A stranger that had been soaked unforgiving from the downpour outside, his pose slouching slightly against the counter, his breathing hitched and his body panting for air, yet his face lit up a bright smile that could easily compare to Dongwoo’s.

 

There’s something similar in their smiles, Hoya figured. How their eyes form that naturally charming eye smile within milliseconds, how the curve of their lips line up to that exact same angle.

 

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to rush you or anything but it’s my first day of work today… (inhales air) and I’m drenched and it’s raining and I’m late… (inhales air) and I still don’t know how I’m going to run to the building opposite to report for duty later… (inhales air) and I just had to buy this or I’m not going to calm down at all… (inhales air) and I don’t have an umbrella.

 

So the stranger’s a talker too, just like Dongwoo. Still reeling from the shock at the ‘conversation’ started by his customer, Hoya hurriedly scanned the box of candy and signaled the price on the register, all the while unable to speak a word.

 

Thanks.

 

Said stranger made his payment and dashed towards the exit, only to pause in his steps suddenly at the rain pouring mercilessly onto the streets. He pondered if he should run into the rain again, and with each step forward he seemed to take another step back, as though dancing along to the rhythmic movements of the tango.

 

You… You can take my umbrella if you want. It’s right by the door.

 

Hoya would eventually think back to how he came to possess the unknown courage in him as he shouted across the store to the stranger, and he would also be thankful that the store had been cleared of most customers. Heads did turn towards him momentarily, but his eyes were fixated on the one man that mattered, the one figure that had rotated his body towards Hoya’s, his head cocking to his right looking confused, his eyes widening a notch as he pointed at himself.

 

I mean, you work just across the road don’t you? You can… well… always return the umbrella to this store when you’re done.

 

He was unsure what had gotten in him to utter the second sentence, albeit a lot more softly, his accent coming out in ways he had been trying to hide and avoid.

 

But the man flashed him yet another dazzling smile, the kind that could turn even the stormiest weather into sun kissed glorious afternoons, and all too quickly Hoya stopped feeling so self-conscious about himself.

 

Thank you Lee Howon-shii. You’re a life saviour. My name’s Nam Woohyun. I’ll be back!

 

And with that Woohyun grabbed the purple polka-dotted umbrella by the door and pushed his way out of the store and into the rain.

 

How did he… Hoya frantically touched his left chest to calm the rapid beating of his heart, grabbing the badge that had been pinned onto his uniform …know my name? He looked down at his shirt, eyes meeting the tag bearing his name in bold. 

 

---------------------------------

Author's Note: I'm sorry for the short update! 

Gahh, I'm actually having a 2 days public holiday from work and it's supposed to be a time for me to rest but...

If you've been reading the news you'd know what's happening around HK, where I'm living.

On to brighter news, I hope the chapter's pleasant enough, their first meeting's a cute one perhaps? 

I can't help but portray Hoya like this here, because he's precious to me and he deserves more love!! 

Comments are definitely appreciated. And thank you all for reading and subscribing!