First Love

The Letters of Love

 

Chanyol came home to a house smelling of home cooked food. He smiled and thought of his now 3 year husband cooking for him even when he's not well. 

 

"Baekhyun..?" 

 

Chanyeol called out as he pulled off his socks and scrambled down the empty living room towards the kitchen where the arousing aroma of food wafted from. 

 

Baekhyun smiled at the knowing deep voice of his husband as he turned around from the stove and met Chanyeol halfway at the kitchen entrance. Baekhyun tiptoed and gave his giant a chaste kiss on the lips as a normal greeting. 

 

Smiling, Chanyeol pulled the shorter man closer to his cold body and gave his beautiful husband a deeper kiss as a token of appreciation for cooking. 

 

"What was that for?"

 

Baekhyun let out after catching his breath from the amazing make out session that just happened.

 

"What? I can't kiss my husband for the fun of it now?"

 

Chanyeol teased as he spotted a glint of pink forming on the shorter male's cheek. 

 

"Happy anniversary, giant."

 

The taller male smiled wider as if it was possible and his heart did the flipping thing it always did whenever Baekhyun looks at him eyes full of love. 

 

"Guess what the best husband in the world got his princess"

 

Chanyeol shouted at he ran down the hallway towards his study room to get the surprise for Baekhyun. 

 

Baekhyun smiled and shouted back "I didn't get you anything, though!!"

 

Chanyeol grumbled loudly from his room and searched for the large bottle he hid behind piles of psychology books he knew Baekhyun would never look through. His man of a husband would only touch romance novels and nothing more.

 

The short brunette male snickered as he walked towards the stove to start serving dinner. 

 

When the table was full of food, Baekhyun took out a bottle of wine and set it in the middle of the table. 

 

Before Baekhyun could call out for Chanyeol, he felt a pair of warm hands wrap around his waist and little kisses on the back of his nape. 

 

"I love you, B"

 

The red haired male whispered as he rubbed his hands on either sides of his husband's small waist.

 

"I would tell you to quit being cheesy but I kinda like it."

 

Baekhyun stated after they pulled away and sat on either sides of the small table they shared. 

 

Chanyeol smiled and pulled his chair towards Baekhyun's side, as usual, and started eating his meal wholeheartedly. 

 

It was right in the middle of eating when Baekhyun stopped his movements and tried to concentrate on his spoon which was getting fuzzy from his eyesight. Chanyeol looked up from his food and touched Baekhyun's arm gently.

 

"You okay?"

 

Baekhyun shook his head. 

 

"Its acting up again. I can't see clearly, yeol"

 

"Did you see the doctor for your checkup?"

 

"The next checkup is in a week, yeol. Are you free to go to the hospital with me on the 5th?"

 

Chanyeol creased his eyebrows and rubbed the swollen lumps on his husband's arm and shook his head. 

 

"I have an important meeting with the board members, remember? I'll ask Yura to accompany you okay?"

 

Baekhyun paused and started blinking rapidly to get his eyesight back. 

 

"Its okay. I can go by myself. Your sister doesn't need to come okay? I can do it myself"

 

Chanyeol smiled sadly and squeezed Baekhyun's arm softly. 

 

Not wanting to spoil the mood of their anniversary, Chanyeol stood up.

 

"I'll go get my present! You wait here"

 

Baekhyun smiled softly at Chanyeol's attempt to make him feel better. He looked up and saw the red haired male walking towards him with a big glass bottle full of papers in his hands.

 

"Here you go!!"

 

Chanyeol handed him the bottle as he smiled widely, probably thinking he was the best husband in the world that got his spouse the best present ever. 

 

"Oh yay. A bottle full of papers. Just what I've always wanted, yeol"

 

The brunette sarcastically stated as he watched his husband's face retort into an ugly feature.

 

"HEY! I WORKED HARD FOR THIS!! ...I don't want to sound cheesy so just read the letter in the envelope okay."

 

Baekhyun smiled stupidly and tried to take off the envelope stuck to the top of the bottle.

 

Chanyeol was quick to stop Baekhyun's actions.

 

"NOT NOW!! DON'T OPEN IT NOW. OPEN IT WHEN IM AT WORK OR SOMETHING"

 

"BUT I WANT TO READ IT NOW"

 

"NO BAEKHYUN PLEASE OH GOOD GOD JUST HOLD IT BACK OKAY"

 

Baekhyun pouted and put the glass bottle on the floor beside him and continued eating. 

 

 

 

That night, Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a as a present and went on how he wanted to see Chanyeol use it. Well, long story short, the neighbours didn't have a peaceful sleep.

 

 

-----------------

 

That morning was like the normal morning but with more ness happening in thei shared bedroom. 

 

Baekhyun woke up and staggered to the bathroom . 

 

Chanyeol woke up and saw a Baekhyun limping towards the bathroom.

 

Chanyeol walked towards the open curtains to close them and block the sinful sunlight of the morning.

 

Baekhyun walked out of the bathroom and gave Chanyeol a normal kiss...., .

 

 

 

 

When Chanyeol left for work, Baekhyun saw the chance for him to open the letter the taller gave him last night. 

 

The brunette sat on the carpeted floor of his bedroom and started reading the letter written with the ugly handwriting of his giant. 

 

 

Dear Baekhyun, 

 

My dear. My deer. My boy. My lover. My husband. My — 

 

... I'll stop now. 

 

I love you. So much. I know things has been hard since the doctor said you had cancer. We'll go through this together I promise. I'll never leave you. Thats what I've been saying for the past ten thousand years we've known each other, and I will stick to my words like the man I am. 

 

To say that I know what you are going through would be an overstatement. I don't. But I want to feel what you are feeling. 

 

These paper cranes I've folded.. They are letters for you. I want you to read one everyday. Promise me this, read only one a day. Maybe the cheesiness of my letters would make you not like me anymore because its kinda embarrassing but I WILL ALWAAAAAYSS LOOVE YOOOUUUU. 

 

Now, read one you y vixen. 

 

 

 

Baekhyun smiled thinking of how his husband was writing the letter. He opened the jar and took out one blue paper crane and started unfolding the crane. 

 

ayy vixen how are you today?

 

are you missing me? do you miss me? i hope you do

remember that time when we were kids and you wanted my ice cream and when i said no you started crying

... we were 15 but i forgive you for being the crybaby you are

there's a pouch in the jar. take some money out of it out and buy an ice cream for yourself

i love you

 

 

Baekhyun giggled and started searching for the said pouch and took some money out for himself. 

 

The short brunette put on his last coat and started walking through the snow-filled pavement towards a nearby shop. When he entered the shop, Baekhyun made a beeline towards the fridge filled with chocolate flavoured ice creams and took one out.

 

He gave the cashier his ice cream and money and smiled as he got his little treat. 

 

"Isn't it a little too cold for ice cream?"

 

The cashier pointed out as he scanned Baekhyun's food item. 

 

"Its a gift.."

 

Baekhyun stated as he took his change and walked out of the shop with an ice cream cone in his hand, leaving the cashier curious to what he just meant.

 

------

 

Everyday since their annivarsary, it was spent with Baekhyun spending his morning reading the letters from the jar and him leaving the apartment to buy himself something.

 

The little voice in his head saying he will miss reading Chanyeol's letters when he dies of cancer. What Chanyeol didn't know was that the smaller cries a little everyday after reading the letters because he kept thinking of how he was going to leave Chanyeol all alone when he dies.

 

On the 5th of December, Baekhyun went out of his apartment for the second time that day to head towards the hospital on his own. 

 

That morning Chanyeol gave him some other present in their bedroom before he left for work and Baekhyun is feeling glee, with nothing in the world that would make him feel down because he feels like the happiest man on earth.

 

 

 

When the brunette man stepped into the quiet cold environment of the hospital, his smile radiated through the building as he walked towards the counter to ask about his appointment. 

 

The nurses there, recognizing Baekhyun from his frequent visits to the hospital, greeted him warmly and asked him to go into the private room to wait for Doctor Kim.

 

Baekhyun tapped the floor with the heel of his feet while waiting for his doctor. When the door opened, Dr Kim's face showed the total opposite of what Baekhyun has been feeling since the start of the day. 

 

Baekhyun's smile faltered as he started fidgeting on the uncomfortable seat in front of the now sitting doctor. 

 

There was no hint of happiness in the news Dr Kim gave him. The cancer was not only in his eyes anymore. Baekhyun smiled sadly as Dr Kim gave him instructions for chemotherapy and how it would help slow down the spread of cancer in his body. 

 

As the brunette left the hospital, he stopped only for a second to wipe away the stray tears leaving his eyes. 

 

Baekhyun speed walked, trying to walk towards his shared house with his husband that was apparently not replying his calls. 

 

One after another, Baekhyun bumped into strangers and even poles, not seeing where he was going. 

 

I'm going to die 

 

I'm not going to live long enough

 

These words wafted through Baekhyun's mind as he tried to figure out where he was right now. He was lost. 

 

Maybe the cancer is killing his brain too 

 

Baekhyun continued crying and re-pressing the number on his speed dail.

 

Chanyeol is not answering 

 

Baekhyun stopped his tracks and looked around the unknown surrounding. Ever since the doctors found cancer in his body, he hasn't been leaving the house and now the newly found surrounding made Baekhyun feel sick. 

 

The small male grabbed onto the nearest pole and leaned on it while he cried his eyes out. The hood covering the top of his head and his hands trembling while trying to call Chanyeol for the nth time that hour. 

 

Baekhyun was freezing cold and Chanyeol was not there to warm him up. 

 

Minutes passed and Baekhyun followed where his legs took him and somehow ended up on the doorstep of his own house. 

 

The brunette walked into the house with his shoes on, not caring about dirtying the floor. He headed towards his living room and started throwing objects he saw around the house. 

 

"WHY MUST IT BE ME WHY IS IT ALWAYS ME WHY CAN'T IT BE SOME OTHER PEOPLE. WHY. DO YOU HATE ME THIS MUCH, GOD?!! IS THIS MAKING YOU HAPPY? ME, DYING?"

 

Baekhyun shouted to no one as he threw a potted plant to the other side of the living room. The actual sadness he was feeling turned into anger when he saw happy couples spending their time together, and then he thought of how he couldn't do those couple stuff with Chanyeol anymore.

 

The screaming and throwing of things went on for a while.

 

It suddenly stopped when Baekhyun suddenly lost his vision and black spots started filling his eyesight. 

 

The brunette fell onto his knees and crawled his way towards his bedroom with his eyes closed and searched for the big jar he kept beside the night stand. 

 

A few things toppled over and added to the mess that Baekhyun made as he tried to make his way through the house without looking. 

 

I can't lose my eyesight. 

 

Not when I still have unread letters 

 

Baekhyun sobbed harder when he opened his eyes and he could only see the darkness he was afraid of. 

 

I need to read it before I go 

 

The small male stood up and threw the glass jar onto the floor with force and heard the ugly sound of glass cracking near his feet. Baekhyun started blinking really hard, trying to get his vision back. 

 

He needs to read it. 

 

As if someone answered his desperate pleads, Baekhyun saw a glimpse of light and started blinking more to make sure he was seeing again. 

 

He quickly fell onto the floor, not caring the cuts he got on his body from the broken glass, and started reading the messages Chanyeol left for him. 

 

The small male's shoulders started shaking at the mere thought of having to leave Chanyeol. He started crying harder at the thought that he won't be able to hear his giant's voice again, to see his husband's lovely features or to even be with Chanyeol after the cancer spread in his whole body. 

 

Baekhyun was a sobbing mess when he heard the front door open and his husband's voice filling the empty house. 

 

Baekhyun looked up after he heard the hurried footsteps of his giant stopping when he reached the door to their shared bedroom. 

 

"Baby what happened?"

 

Chanyeol asked as he slowly walked towards the fragile male who was trembling, with small colourful papers around him.

 

"I was scared, yeol. I was scared I won't be able to finish reading all of these before I died.. I just wanted —"

 

Before the brunette could finish his sentence, he was engulfed in a warm embrace of his husband.

 

"I love you, yeol.. I'm sorry.."