Sisters

Darling

Most of this chapter takes place before the current events

2023

"Minah, I have to go on a vacation to Japan with my parents. I'm sorry but I can't play with you for a few weeks" 9 year old Yura told her best friend.

"But... my birthday is coming up" Minah mumbled and blinked away some tears. 

"I'm sorry." the older apologized and hugged her best friend.

"I'll be lonely without you"

"I'm really sorry. What about Hyeri?"

"She's with her grandparents in Cheonju for the month" Minah replied, clearly upset that neither of her best friends will be here for her birthday.

"Don't be sad. I'll bring you back a lot of gifts alright?" Yura said to please the younger.

"It's okay Unnie. Have fun there." Minah forced an eye-smile and hugged her friend.

~~

"Baby" Eunji said to get her wife's attention.

"Yes?" Naeun replied and looked up at her wife.

"Why did our daughter lock herself in her room?" the doctor asked.

Naeun sighed and rested her head on Eunji's shoulder.

"Both Hyeri and Yura can't make it to our daughter's birthday so Minah is upset"

"I don't see how Hyeri not being able to go is a bad thing" Eunji mumbled under her breath but Naeun heard her.

"Yah! Can't you be serious?!" Naeun slapped her wife's shoulder and Eunji pouted in response.

"Oww. Baby that really hurt"

"Good. Now what should we do about Minah?"

"I dunno" Eunji answered while rubbing her shoulder.

"How about we get her a pet?"

"Baby please, neither of us have the time to take care of an animal. And I really don't want to go through the trouble of seeing our daughter sad once it dies."

"Then you think of something" Naeun mumbled.

".... well Minah did ask for a sister."

"....."

"How about we find her a big sister to take care of her and play with her? That way she won't feel that lonely, especially since I have over time a lot"

"I guess that's a good idea. Let's talk to her about it tomorrow."

"Great. I'm sleepy" Eunji yawned.

"Me too, let's go sleep."

Eunji nodded and got off the couch then turned off the television. She noticed her wife was still on the couch and smiling at her.

"What's wrong?"

"Carry me to our room!" Naeun childishly replied. The older woman chuckled and proceeded to carry her wife bridal style.

"You need to lose weight" Eunji teased.

"Yah!" Naeun screamed and pinched Eunji.

~~

"Good morning Mommy, Appa." Minah yawned as she walked into the living room. Both of her parents were already awake.

"Morning sweetie. Go eat your breakfast, we have to tell you something." Naeun told her daughter. Minah could tell something was up but she did as her mother told her. Once she finished her breakfast, she sat between her parents and waited for them to speak.

"We know lately you've been feeling lonely and we don't have time to always play with you. So, would you like a sister?" Naeun asked her child.

Minah's eyes lit up and she jumped off the couch.

"Yes!!!" Minah replied and jumped up and down.

"Calm down princess. Are you sure you want a sister?" Eunji asked.

Minah nodded excitedly.

"Okay. Next week we'll go meet your future sister." the doctor told her daughter.

~~

Minah has never been so excited in her life. She waited all week for this, the day she would go meet her future big sister. Eunji parked the car and the family proceeded to go into the orphanage. Minah was way ahead of her parents, she already started talking to the other girls. Meanwhile Eunji and Naeun were walking side by side in silence. The other children in the orphanage looked at the couple, all amused and surprised by the couple's beauty. 

"What would you want our new child to be like?" Naeun asked her wife.

"Well-behaved, nothing like Bomi's daughter." Eunji replied.

A couple of girls were chatting with Minah, most of them older than her. They found the girl really cute and bubbly, they also noticed from her clothes that she came from a pretty well-off family. The young Jung was glad to speak to these girls, but she couldn't feel any spark. For years, Minah believed that if she ever got a sister, she would just know she is the one who was meant to be her sister and take care of her. Minah looked around, occasionally giving the boys and girls her radiant eye-smile. She was talking to a different group of girls when she noticed a lone girl sitting by herself by the window. Minah excused herself and walked up to the aloof child, who was busy reading and ignoring the environment around her.

"Uhm.. h-hello" Minah shyly greeted the girl, who looked a few years older than her.

The unknown girl put down her book and looked at the younger. 

"Yes? Can I help you with anything?" the girl asked.

"W-What's your name, Unnie?"

The other girl remained quiet for a few seconds, inspecting the younger, before finally answering.

"Park Sojin."

"Nice to meet you Sojin Unnie. I'm Jung Minah and I'm 8!"

"Likewise. I'm 11."

"W-Where are you mommy and daddy?" Minah innocently asked. Sojin frowned but she knew the younger meant no harm.

"My mom got me when she was really young. My dad didn't want to support us so my mom was left alone. My mom knew she couldn't support me so she sent me here. I guess neither of them loved me." Sojin answered.

Minah got really quiet after hearing Sojin's story. She was an orphan before just like Sojin, but it wasn't because her parents abandoned her. Her parents were killed in an accident. So even if they're not here anymore, Minah knows her real parents loved her and never meant to leave her behind. 8 year old Minah could only imagine how much harder it was for Sojin to know that her parents are alive, but neither of them care for her.

"I'm sorry Unnie"

"Don't be. I already accepted that my parents didn't want me and I probably won't ever get real parents. I'm just a mistake anyway, maybe it would've been better if I never came into this world" Sojin sadly replied, but faked a smile to mask her pain.

Something told Minah at that moment that she wanted to be with Sojin. To let the older girl know that people in this world do love her. She knew Sojin had to become her sister.

Minah shyly held Sojin's hand as the latter stared at her.

"How about you come with my Mommies then?"

'Mommies?' Sojin thought.

"Come with me!" Minah shouted and dragged the girl away from the window to meet her parents. Sojin let the cute girl drag her until they stopped in front of two beautiful women.

"Who is this sweetie?" Eunji asked her daughter as she carried her into her arms.

"Appa, this is Sojin Unnie! I want her to be my Unnie!"

The couple looked at the young girl and gave her the warmest smiles Sojin has ever seen, but she still remained wary. Sojin's past makes it hard for her to trust others, especially adults.

"Nice to meet you Sojin. I'm Son Naeun and this is my wife, Jung Eunji, we're Minah's parents" Naeun introduced herself to the girl.

"I'm Park Sojin." Sojin greeted, she showed no sign of confusion despite seeing that Minah's parents are both clearly women. Eunji, being a psychologist, noticed the young girl's open mindedness and was greatly impressed. Most children would be questioning why Minah had no father, some might even judge her, but Sojin didn't seem to discriminate one bit.

"Would you like to go grab lunch with us? We can all get to know each other." Eunji asked. Sojin could tell that they weren't bad people, but a feeling of distrust was still there simply because they were adults. The 11 year old looked up and saw Minah staring at her with hopeful eyes. Not wanting to disappoint the cute girl, Sojin finally agreed. The family and Sojin went to a nearby restaurant and got to learn more about each other. Sojin was touched by the story of how Eunji and Naeun met, she really admired how they didn't let outside interference ruin their relationship. Meanwhile Naeun and Eunji felt incredibly upset for Sojin, they couldn't believe how irresponsible the child's real parents were. How could they put her through so much just because they weren't making good choices? As Sojin dove deeper into her thoughts and feelings, Eunji sensed that it was unhealthy for a young girl to be thinking like this. She also knew that the longer the girl stayed in the orphanage, the worse it will get because she will only learn to distrust others more. 

"Sojin-ah" Eunji called out.

"Y-Yes?"

"Would you like to join our family?" Eunji asked and smiled.

Sojin stayed silent, but a shy smile was on her face. In just a short few hours, she had already taken a liking for Minah and her parents. They all seemed like good and trustworthy people, plus Minah was the cutest girl ever.

"I'm not sure. I'm scared." Sojin answered and began to cry. The young girl was overcome with emotions because for the first time in her life, she felt people actually wanted to love her. Sojin gave the Jung family a nod and Eunji smiled as Minah hugged Sojin and kissed her new big sister's cheek.

"Welcome to our family, Jung-Son Sojin." Eunji and Naeun said and hugged their new daughter.

~~

"Happy Birthday Minah!" The Jung and Son family, except Eunji, shouted. Minah hugged everyone, especially her big sister. Sojin was still learning to adjust to a family life, but she couldn't deny that it was nice. Although Eunji and Naeun's house had enough free rooms to allow both their daughters to have their own rooms, Minah and Sojin wanted to room together. 

"Even though Yura Unnie and Hyeri aren't here, I'm glad to have you Unnie" Minah said and hugged her sister.

"Thank you for letting me join your family. Happy Birthday my little Minnie."

Minah giggled cutely and wiped some frosting on Sojin's face.

"I love you my big sister"

~~

"Yura Unnie, Hyeri, this is Sojin, my new big sister"

"Hello Sojin Unnie. I'm Yura and I'm 9 years old."

"I'm Hyeri and I'm 8 years old, like Minah."

"Nice to meet you two."

"Minah..." Hyeri called as she had one arm around her same aged friend.

"What?"

"Your Unnie is pretty."

"I know."

"Are you jealous? Scared that I might like your Unnie?" Hyeri teased.

"Why would I be jealous? You're so weird Yoon Hyeri." Minah glared and removed Hyeri's arms.

'So that's Hyeri, the one appa told me to keep away from Minah.'

As time went on, Sojin got more and more adjusted into the family and soon enough, she became a true member of the family. She still has feelings of loneliness and being unwanted, albeit all the love Eunji, Naeun and Minah give her. But she also can't help but feel somewhat grateful to have been orphaned. Without her careless parents, she would have never met the kindest parents and sweetest younger sister anyone could ask for.

2030

"I hate tutoring you" Minah told Hyeri as she was trying to explain physics to her worst enemy. She has been tutoring Hyeri for about 3 weeks and they're just a few days away from a big exam. Every day, Hyeri would flirt or goof off and Minah was getting really tired of her.

"Hate it or not, you still have to tutor me" Hyeri smirked.

"Ugh! Just answer these questions so we can go home."

Hyeri smiled and finished the entire assignment before showing it to Minah. The top student looked through all the answers and almost choked when she realized Hyeri had gotten them all right.

"H-How?!"

"I'm lazy, not stupid." Hyeri rolled her eyes.

"It's hard argue that when you're a straight F student" Minah rebutted. 

"I'm a straight C student" Hyeri corrected.

"Still no better" Minah argued. For as long as she could remember, Minah always got straight As, her lowest marks ever would be B+s or A-s.

"I know you are, my smart princess"

"You really need to stop saying things like that. It's creepy."

"What is your problem?"Hyeri frowned.

"You're my problem."

"What did I ever do to you?!"

"This tutoring session is over!" Minah shouted and tried to leave but Hyeri held her arm tightly.

"Tell me... please." Hyeri weakly begged.

"Why do you even care?" Minah scoffed as she tried to shake off Hyeri.

"Because we used to be so close. What changed?"

"..."

"Can't you see that I'm serious about you? What caused you to hate me?"

"You don't even know what you did wrong. I don't see why I have to tell you. Goodbye Yoon Hyeri, I'll see you tomorrow and good luck on your exam" Minah said as she left.

Hyeri sat down and sighed heavily.

"You idiot, how can you expect me to make things right when I don't even know what's wrong?"

"Do I even have a chance with you?"

~~

Minah was running down the hallways until she reached a certain room, the student council office. She knocked on the door and Yura opened the door, shocked to see her best friend there.

"What's wrong Minah?" Yura asked as she closed the door.

"Did Hyeri do something to you?"

"C'mon say something Minah" Yura sighed and sat next to the girl.

"She's playing with my feelings again and I hate it. She already hurt me once, I don't want to get hurt by her again" Minah confessed.

"What did she do?"

"She asked me why I'm like this to her and told me she's serious about me. How can I believe her?"

"Well..."

"Unnie..."

"Yes?"

"Why couldn't you be the person I liked before?" Minah asked herself while Yura bit her lip.

"You liked Hyeri?"

"It's in the past. I don't like her anymore, but now she's trying to make me feel that way again. Please make it stop."

Yura bravely held Minah's hand and let the younger lay her head on her lap. Minah looked up to see Yura's warm brown orbs staring at her. Yura felt her heart beating faster seeing Minah looking up at her. Slowly, a sense of bravery began to build up.

"Minah."

"Yes Unnie?"

"I can make you stop feeling things for Hyeri."

"Really?! How?!"

"Like this" Yura shortly answered and lowered her body to kiss Minah. The younger froze when she felt her best friend's lips on her hers, but it gave her a strange feeling. Yura's lips were soft and sweet, very much like her. Before she knew it, Minah closed her eyes to fully enjoy the gentle kiss that Yura was giving her. The older moved back slightly to speak.

"I love you Minah, as more than a friend."

TBC 

*hides from Hyeri supporters* Thank you all for reading and I finally included more 2eun! ASDFGHJKL Eunji is the sweetest person ever. Happy late birthday to Apink's 93-line. My bias Eunji, please always stay healthy and amaze everyone with your amazing vocals. And I'm so happy to say that I share a birthday with Bomi <3 I'm sorry for any typos, I am so tired and I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled today *cries*. This chapter was very Jung Family centered ^-^ I'll do responses tomorrow to avoid spoiling anything