A Little Thing called Memory

Shoes

As far as Joonmyeon could remember, his most favorite, the most precious thing in the world for him was a pair of shoes brown leather shoes he was staring at now.

The shoes were no longer new, in fact it was kinda ancient. He never really liked them, as he thought they were too big, even for his grown up feet right now. He was never into leather as well, he was putting more preference on canvas shoes. Canvas shoes were colorfully light, trendy, and coming with every single pattern he could imagine, while leather shoes were always old-fashioned and boring-looking. And as already mentioned before, they had aged well. The shoes' skin was scraped in several spots, there was a big rip on its back surface of the right shoe. The used-to-be-shiny-brown color of its surface had faded into dull, almost yellowish color. In total, nothing attracted him or could be considered as a point for his liking.

Nothing.

Unless they were from his late father.

Joonmyeon could remember that day vividly, as if it was yesterday. It was on his fiftteenth birthday. He was just aditted into high school five months before and it was his first birthday in high school. As usual, his parents were always that cheesy. They seemed to not realize that he was fifteen already, not a year or two yers older than his little brother, Sehun. He had hinted that he didn't want any celebraton, heck, he was fifteen! Fancy dinner at the restaurant and grown-up presents were still okay, but a family celebration was really not acceptable. Big, childish birthday cake, ballons and ribbons everywhere, plus several other people attending the party, gosh, he felt like panpalming himself. However, being a sweet Oh Joonmyeon, our boy never showed his displeasure. Instead, he was smilingly thanking them, feeling absolutely grateful for the event they had managed to prepare for him, even though he felt like crying in his heart for being treated like a child. Still, he was happy, for he was surrounded by people who loved him with their full heart.

Well, his father noticed, not surprisingly. Being very close with the man he admired most in his life had advantages and disadvantages for him. This time, his father managed to snake his arm around Joonmyeon and patted his tiny shoulder calmingly.

"I am sorry, Joonmyeon-ah. I know this is not something you really wanna have for your birthday. I just cannot contain the excitement from your mother. You know, it is rare she would be very ecstatic as she was when she involved herself in your party scheme. So, in the honor of her, I give you my apology."

Joonmyeon chuckled and rolled his eyes, saying, "You're ridiculous, Appa!"

"This party is, not me. However, I have something you might feel that you like it."

He went to a buffet near their position and reached for a big, fancy looking paperbag. He returned to Joonmyeon and handed him the bag.

"For you, Son. I hope you like it."

Joonmyeon curiously opened the bag and turned impatient as he saw a big cardboard inside. His hand retrieved that box fast, opening it in hurry.

His first reaction was a frown.

"Leather shoes?"

He had almost blurted out the comment that the shoes were too big, the shoes had ancient aura surrounding them, and the shoes were just not alluring in any way possible. Again, however, his words stopped in the tip of his tongue. He heard his father sighing and when he lifted his eyes, his father was smiling in understanding.

"Huft ..., you don't like them, again! You know, you are so hard to please, Myeonnie! I keep wondering whether you have too fancy sense of fashion or I am the one incapable of keeping up to date now."

"N, no, no, Appa! I like them! I like them so much!"

His father let a dry laugh. "No need to lie! Your eyes just can't! I am sorry for giving you these but I have a reason why."

Joonmyeon just realized his eyes probably were too big showing his curiousity back then. He kept his eyes' pose when his father pulled him to verandah, finding a spot where they two could talk. He smiled as cool wind brushed his long, jet black bang.

"I bought that leather shoes for I want you to grow into a fine, sturdy man, Joonmyeon. No, I didn't expect you to be having a bodybuilder type look, but I wish you to be a strong man at heart. I want you to keep being strong no matter what happened. I don't ask you not to cry, men are human too, it's okay, it's even natural for us to cry. But we don't cry over simple things and we definitely don't mop forever. We would cry for a night then the next day we would rise up, we would get up, and run to whatever goal we have set up. We will keep fighting to the end, no matter how hard our problem is, until we are finally defeated. Only at time we have to admit our lost. We should take it with big heart. That's the real man in my view, that's what I want you to grow up into."

His father brushed Joonmyeon's hair lovingly.

"Joonmyeon-ah, will you promise something to this old man?"

"What is it, Appa?" Joonmyeon rolled his eyes.

"If I am not here later, I will take your promise to take my place in the family. You don't have to work, yet, but you have to study well and fight to be whoever you want to be. I want you to protect and take care of your mother and your little brother. Will you do that for me?"

Joonmyeon felt like something weird in his stomach. His father was acting strangely, as if he was saying goodbye. However, what he blurted out was not such grown-up thingy.

"Are you gonna go somewhere and leave us?"

His father laughed, but Joonmyeon noticed something glistening at the end of his eyes, which his father quickly wiped off. He smiled to Joonmyeon with the very same gentle smile he always gave to Joonmyeon.

"Well, maybe-maybe. You will understand when you really, really grow up. But," there was urgency in his voice, "will you promise me?"

"Su, sure ...."

"I know it is childish, but, pinky promise?"

HIs father was acting really strange now, but Joonmyeon unconsciously extended his pinky finger and it linked his with his father's.

"I promise I will do as you say. I promise I will be a good child and a good man for the sake of you."

Joonmyeon witnessed a relieved sigh from his father and a moment later he was embraced in rather tight hug. He felt his father's trembling so he rubbed his hands to his father's back. When they broke the hug, that somber expression was more intense than before, but a second later it was turned into carefree, cheerful mask. His father scooted him back to the party, making Joonmyeon drowned into that kind of gloating feeling due to the childishness alert in the room again.

After all, Joonmyeon's instinct was right. Barely two weeks after that conversation, his father passed away. He died, peacefully, surrounded by his mother, his brother, and himself on his deathbed. He tearfully bid goodbye, but there was smile on his lips. Only two of them were crying, Sehun was just too little to comprehend oblivion.

The day of the funeral was breaking his heart. All Joonmyeon was doing there was wrapping himself around his sobbing mother and confused brother. He tried to man up, like what he promised to his father, but the tears were just unstoppable. The tears didn't halt until the coffin of his father was completely buried underground, leaving a fresh, deep brown soil covered by beds of flower before them.

The shoes were the last gift from his father. He might not like them but he treasured them, for they were the last piece of memento of memories from his father. It was precious, like the love he was once given by his father.

Joonmyeon heaved a sigh, long and thoughtful. His eyes were b with tears but he long had promised to not cry too much. He would keep that promise, for he had told that to one of the most important people in his life.

He got up, heaving another sigh, plus grunt. Taking the shoes to the couch, he wore them, tying their lace neatly. He swiped a bit of dust overtaking the tip of his left shoe before standing up and pulling his bag to his shoulder. Looking at a picture of his family on the desk: his mother, brother, father, and himself smiling on the camera, he smiled to his appa.

"I am going, Appa. Wish me luck!"

 


July 28, 2014


Ohmagod.... This is too cute plus too sad .... I don't even know what struck my mind upon making this, I just .... Damn .... Something might have possessed me! Anyhow, I don't regret it. Even I was stunned by my own writing. Swear I don't brag myself. I just didn't expect that this kind of idea flew effortlessly. I don't even beta this, screw me, I just wanna post it asap!

See you around for the later chap! Waiting for your comments! Subscriptions and upvotes are grand, but please do leave some words for me too. :)

 

Schandelierre