two.

The Unbreakable Boy

 

Seunghee's eyes followed the male’s as he took a seat in front of her. She frowned as the aura he gave was very much different compared to the accident she had witnessed the years before. Mrs Jung turned around to face the class.

"Kai, don't think that I didn't see you," she remarked. He gave the teacher a lopsided grin before taking out his books and pencil case.

“Sorry miss,” he said in a joking manner.

Everyone giggled at his reply and he smirked in return. Kai did not care about his hobbies anymore. Ever since his parents left him, he had given up on many things; friendship, dance, singing, just to name a few. The world had fallen apart since that and he regretted it more than ever. Maybe that was even an understatement. It had taken him a very long time to catch up with the real world around him. And once in a while he would reminisce about the times his parents were alive with him.

He felt so so guilty for all the times he yelled to his mum for picking up him late, complained about his dad coming home late, criticised his mum’s cooking, and even arguing with his dad about which Ben Ten character was cooler. He snapped out of his thoughts and concentrated back in class. Although most of his classmates thought he was one of those kids that didn’t care about their education, and yes he did give off that vibe, Kai actually cared about his future and education. A lot. More than he wanted to.

Seunghee couldn’t stop staring at Kai. So this was the boy. Kai; that was his name. Kai. The boy who seemed like he was calling for his parents with a tear strained face on the streets just yesterday.

Kai felt something staring at him so he looked around, and behind him was a girl, looking at him as though he was an alien. He grew uncomfortable for a second before realising she was someone he didn’t recognise. The said girl had soft dark brown hair, beautiful eyes, and baby pink lips. One of the few girls that didn’t wear make up to save their lives.

“Who are you?” Kai asked bluntly aloud.

The whole class turned to the two.

She looked at him and simply answered “I’m new here. Seunghee. Jang Seunghee.”

Kai observed her for a while before turning back to the front.

Why was she staring at me? Does she know me? He wondered.

 

-

 

After a tiring one and a half hours, the bell rang for recess. Seunghee slowly packed her bag as everyone else hurriedly scampered out of the classroom, like they were afraid of being the last one out. She looked out the glass window and saw the sky turning a dull grey. The sun had hid itself behind the huge clouds, blocking out all the sunlight.

It might rain today, she thought to herself.

 

-

 

School ended and Seunghee had gotten home safely and it had not rain luckily. Her phone started vibrating. It was her best friend Daeun, who went to Seoul High. Daeun wasn’t the loudest person (only in front of Seunghee she was loud) but she was an understanding, trustworthy and kind friend. Just the type Seunghee needed. She picked up the call right away.

“Hello?”

“Hi Seunggie, how are ya?”

“Alright. Seoul High isn’t as beautiful as you said lol”

“Naw, yeah I know, but I had to convince you to come eh?”

“Yeah, yeah, where are you?”

“I’m in Australia, and the weather’s beautiful. The air’s so fresh here and they have the best meat pies! I saw so many kangaroos! And koalas! The opera house is so cool and  I love their relaxed lifestyle!”

“Lucky, you’ve now been to New Zealand, Fiji and Australia just for these holidays!”

“Next time I’ll put you in my suitcase and smuggle you there. Don’t worry”

“Hahaha alright. But I gotta go now, need to make buy some food.

“Bye! Have fun! I love you!”

Seunghee sighed. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to talk to Daeun, but just the fact that she was so lucky. Her family had the money, the time, the energy to travel. Her parents on the other hand both were in China, as it was the best place for their business to grow. Apparently. So money was sent over every month for Seunghee to use. She had lived like that ever since she was thirteen in her hometown. People may call her lucky to get so much money so often but she was lonelier than the loneliest person alive. Her parents rarely called her; they never paid much attention to her anyways, so when they decided to move to China, Seunghee wasn’t even that upset or uncomfortable.

She grabbed a dark grey jacket and headed out the door to go buy some food.

-

Clutching onto her plastic bag containing packets of instant noodles and water, she walked slowly back home, enjoying the view of the local park. Without knowing, she had already stepped into it and found herself smiling at the young toddlers playing in the sand pit, on the swing, on the bridges. Oh how lucky they were. Innocent, free and happy. The exact opposite of herself. Taking a seat on the wooden bench, the girl glanced around and found a small alleyway between two trees that’s branches had gotten twisted together. Curious, she stood up and walked towards it.

It wouldn’t hurt just to see what it was. She thought.

It turned out to be a camouflaged door. Seunghee pushed the door open and stepped inside. To her surprise, there was another door. She furrowed her eyebrows as she went and opened the second door. Although one would think she was stupid for going somewhere she didn’t even know, her heart told her it was safe. Through the second door, there was something she never would’ve imagined. A dance studio.

 

Stunned, Seunghee stopped in her tracks. What was a dance studio doing here? It looked so run-down, so old. Nobody seemed to have known this place. She checked to see if anyone was there.

“Hello? Hello?” she called.

An eerie silence answered her. She found herself a timber barrel chair and sat down. The studio seemed to be caved off as all four sides were covered. Vines had grown to a very high top, knotting the pine trees around it. The air seemed to be fresher here and crickets could be heard chirping. This place seemed to calm her down a lot.

 

-

 

Seunghee checked her watch and realised it was getting late. She got out of the seat and headed towards the door. Suddenly, footsteps could be heard. She panicked and quickly tried to find a place to hide.

A tall male had entered and to Seunghee’s amazement, it was somebody she could clearly identify. The messy brown hair and slightly tanned skin.

 

 It was Kai.

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

 

Second chappie is up!!

Please suscribe, comment and upvote!!

Ily guys <3