one

Monster

“Bambam, I think it’s time for an intervention.”

Said boy looked up, mouth closed over a slice of pizza while he scratched at the top of his knee with his other hand. “Huh?”
Yugyeom groaned before kicking over the empty soda can that was on the ground before plopping quite heavily on the couch next to his roommate and best friend. “I don’t want to seem like a nagging mom or anything, but lately you’ve been…maybe snacking a little too much? And lazing around. I mean,” the giant baby bit his lip and pushed his index finger into his roommate’s full cheeks, “you’ve been kind of gaining weight. Like right there. It’s noticeable. Didn’t you say you wanted to lose weight this summer?”
Bambam frowned over the slice of pepperoni pizza before pulling it away from his lips and setting it down on a plate on his lap. “I...guess? But I was kind of just kidding.”
Yugyeom stared.
“I mean really, all I have to do is just cut back on the snack food right?” Bambam laughed, shoving the plate off his lap and onto the coffee table in front of him. Easy, right? Sure, he’d miss the late night ice cream and the occasional candy bars, but he could totally give those up for what, a week?
“No, I mean like-maybe eat healthier and not just give up the junk food,” Yugyeom tutted, wiping his palms on his pants before quickly standing up with a sudden excited look on his face. “Dude, come to the gym with me.”
The shorter blonde boy scowled. “Gym?” he said distastefully.  “I don’t do gyms.” Yugyeom groaned obnoxiously loud before softly kicking his roommate. “Seriously, come on, it’s not that bad. Memberships are only 15 dollars a month, but I can bring a friend for free to try it out, the staff is really nice, the have all these nice classes you can take, aqua massage…” the taller boy continued on, counting the many amazing amenities his gym had to offer. If Bambam hadn’t known any better, he would have assumed that the person in front of him was a gym rep trying to sell him memberships.
“YAH! Okay, okay! Be quiet already, I’ll go, but only for A DAY and I mean it, I can do perfectly well by watching youtube workout videos at home, thank you very much,”Bambam grumbled, getting up and stalking off into his own bedroom where he had to dig around for acceptable gym clothes.  In the background he could hear his best friend laughing triumphantly as he gathered his favorite Nalgene water bottles to fill up.

---------------

Bambam tugged at his borrowed t-shirt that was just a size too large. He didn’t own any acceptable work-out clothes, in fact he didn’t own boring t-shirts in general save for a college shirt, but it was in the wash currently so he had to borrow Yugyeom’s  old High School grad shirt. Thankfully he had his own pair of shorts and sneakers so everything else fit accordingly.
“Remind me why we are doing this again?” he asked, making a face at the ground while his best friend fished out clean face towels and the Nalgene bottles out of the trunk.
 “Because it’s good for you? And you said you wanted to lose weight during the summer and summer is already halfway over and -“
“OKAY, okay , I get it,” the shorter blond groaned, clearly annoyed at his life right now and the fact that he just couldn’t say no all those times he snuck into the fridge last week. It wasn’t like he was overweight either! Sure his cheeks maybe were a little rounder, but he was still young, his metabolism was fast. Walking around college campuses was all the workout he needed considering it seemed like miles before he got to his next class.
 “Why couldn’t we use the free campus gym?” Bambam asked, trailing after his younger, yet much taller roomie.  “ I mean, I don’t know, it just seems like a better option rather than driving all the way out here off campus.”
“Because the campus gym stinks and they only have, like, 4 treadmills and 3 elliptical machines. Also, it’s always packed with people who sit on the machines, but don’t actually use them,” Yugyeom answered, pulling out his keycard and scanning it on a code scanner next to the door which beeped and allowed the two of them inside. They were met with a sudden blast of cold air and a peppy ‘Hello!’ from the receptionist behind his desk where he was currently helping a couple.
“Do people honestly come here to work out 24/7?” Bambam chuckled to himself, reading the large red lettering painted everywhere that said, ‘24/7 Fitness’.  The building smelled like cleaning solution with a slight tint of sweat, but it wasn’t overbearing.  Large airvents covered the ceiling, circulating the air and keeping it cool. Bambam also noticed the clanging of weights and machines, the constant chattering of people and the occasional girl laughing in the background. It seemed like a nice enough place, by public work out standards, but Bambam didn’t like working out to begin with so his standards were always going to be high. Unless there was a machine with a tv in front of it, he would stay uninterested.
“Yah, Bambam, get over here,” called Yugyeom, snapping the shorter blond out of his reverie. He turned his attention back to his friend who was currently standing in front of the receptionist’s desk, the both of them looking at the possibly new gym member. “ah, sorry,” he frowned, making his way back over to his friend.  
“Checking out the gym?” Yugyeom chuckled, long fingers tapping the counter, while the man behind it chuckled as well, before opening his mouth to speak. “Nice to meet you, I’m Youngjae. I’m assuming Yugyeom has told you all about what the gym has to offer?” Bambam nodded. “Good. Well, like he said, registered members can bring friends in for free three times a year to test out the gym and if they like it enough, hopefully they sign up. I don’t want to pressure you into signing up now, so how about you just enjoy what we have to offer and if after your workout you’re still interested in joining, come back and see me and I can explain in a more detailed manner about what the membership details include as well as other amenities we have to offer?”  Seemed like a good enough proposal so Bambam answered with a ‘yes’, so they waved goodbye to Youngjae and Yugyeom led his friend further into the building.

 “See, easy, right? Everyone’s nice here,” Yugyeom smiled, patting the shorter male’s back.
“That was just the receptionist, he has to be nice to you to reel in the customers,” Bambam complained. And from what he’d seen, all the gym had to offer people-wise was old dudes and mom types trying to get back to looking like their younger days. They continued to bicker back and forth in a friendly manner before they reached the men’s bathrooms. “Um, I didn’t say I needed the bathroom,” the shorter said plainly, crossing his arms. Couldn’t they just hurry and workout so he could get back to their apartment? He had a very important date with his favorite TV show in the next couple of hours and he needed an extra hour to prep aka get in his comfy clothes and have a nice bowl of popcorn ready. “oh calm down, I’m showing you what’s in the bathroom.” Bambam frowned. “It’s not just toilets,” Yugyeom quickly added, chuckling nervously. “There’s lockers and stuff. They pushed open the door and slipped inside, slowly making a turn here and another turn there before they stepped into a locker room with a couple stray guys here and there putting their things into their personal lockers. Quiet murmers were heard from one doorway on the left, while men walked out of another on the right. “The left side is the showers while the right is the steam room. Bathrooms are beside the showers,” the taller quickly explained, walking up towards an empty locker and opening it up. He glanced back at his Bambam who was staring at the Steam room which in his personal opinion was so not sanitary and oh my God, did that guy just walk out of the bathroom area shoeless?
A coughing sound was heard and he quickly turned around to stare at Yugyeom with a look of disbelief before the taller blonde tapped the open locker. “Need to put anything inside?” Bambam shook his head no and placed his hands in his pockets where he clutched his wallet (no way was he putting something that valuable in a locker, locked or not), rocking on the heels of his feet while he waited for his friend to take off his sweatshirt and toss it into the locker, along with his wallet and keys before closing it and locking it.
“soo…”Bambam said slowly, tugging at the hem of his borrowed shirt. “Now what? When are you gonna’ make me run 50 miles? Because just a warning, I at running. And possibly everything else.” This was no secret though. Bambam truly was bad at everything. The only thing he was exceptionally good at was not missing his favorite tv shows and strangely enough, his classes, but that was a given because he had to be good at that considering the amount he’s paying for them, but any recreational thing? No thank you.  Yugyeom chuckled lightly while leading the pair back out and into the gym’s main area. “Well, I won’t make you run 50 miles, but I think you can atleast manage two for now, right?” He led them to the row of treadmills which already had quite a few people on them, some walking while others jogged at a leisurely pace. Bambam slowly climbed onto an empty one, Yugyeom doing the same beside him. The machine looked complicated, so many buttons and screens, but Oh, his prayers have been answered—A small flat tv was placed right above so he could watch reruns of Running man while he walked in place. He assumed that he needed to press the giant green ‘GO’ button to get the machine started, but before he could press it, Yugeom slapped his hand away. “ ah-ah, stretch first!” Bambam made a face. “stretch? Really?” Before his friend could open his mouth to dish out the why’s and what’s and whatever other facts he had stored in his brain, the smaller blond raised his hand to cut his friend off. “Yah, I got it!” The pair began their leg stretches, although Bambam half-doing so before finishing not long after and finally,finally he could start this darn machine and the quicker he worked out, the quicker he could go back home.
“Maybe you should just do a walk on an incline to start off?” Yugyeom suggested, while Bambam strugged. His friend reached over, pressing the correct buttons and soon enough, the machine wurred to life and Bambam began his walk of doom, which he so eagerly put it. Still, he had to admit, he was glad his best friend was there to help encourage him because otherwise he probably would still be at home, lazing around, so, props to his pal whom he gave a bright smile to.

----

“I think my legs are broken,” Bambam complained, leaning heavily on the safety bars of the treadmill, one hand pressed hard into his side where a persistent cramp would just not go away. “ I told you to pace yourself,”Yugyeom murmured, handing his shorter friend the bottle of water. Bambam snatched it and quickly chugged the remaining water which was not much. Stupidly, he set the pace from walking on incline to actually jogging 5.0 on an incline. It was easy at first…until he tired himself out too quickly, instead just lowered the speed. He was so caught up in not wanting to stop and seem like a weakling next to his friend who was running at a pace of 7.5 that he forgot to just decrease the incline of his altogether and struggled to run for the next ten minutes before giving up and quickly pulling the emergency stop cord. His head hurt and he just wanted to go home already, but Yugeom barely looked like he ran 7 miles, wiping his face with his towel before hopping off the treadmill and glancing towards his friend. “ so..weights, maybe?” he said, hopefully.
Bambam gave a deadpan stare before hobbling off his own machine, clutching his side. “Why can’t they just invent instant weight loss pills or gain extra muscle overnight drinks? That’d make my life extra easier.” Yugyeom laughed before explaining the use of the machines they walked past, some currently with women on them and struggling to do their reps. Bambam swallowed slowly, carefully eyeing the current metal monstrosity his best friend pointed him to. “Yah, what is this, it looks like a death trap!” With its metal bars and long black wires and the fact that no one else seemed to be wanting to use it, it seemed like a good indication that it was a torture device rather than a piece of exercise equipment. “ You’re over reacting, come on, it’s easy. Just sit down and grab this bar above your head,” Yugyeom carefully explained-
Although Bambam kind of lost interest in what his friend and looked around the area until his attention was currently on a group of guys, mainly one guy, lifting the dumbbells. And holy , was he fine.  Freakishly fine, like how could anyone look that amazing lifting stupid metal weights? He had dark, short hair, albeit a bit sweaty looking, but they were in a gym for crying out loud and it didn’t matter anyway, because he still looked good even with sweaty hair which clung to his equally gorgeous face. Bambam’s eyes followed the guy’s arms, watching his biceps flex with his pull of his arm. He silently thanked whoever invented sleeveless shirts. Blinking rapidly, the short blond male almost made a swipe at his mouth to make sure he wasn’t drooling. God, he was disgusting.
“Who are you looking at? Ah - JB hyung!” Yugyeom quickly called out, waving in the direction Bambam was staring at. “wait, what are you doing?” he hissed , quickly diverting his eyes when the group looked in their direction. He could feel their stares and felt his face go red before he kicked the back of his friend’s leg. “wh- ow! Hey!” “Yah! Why are you calling them over!” “What does it matter,“ yugyeom complained, waving towards the group of guys who called out and set their weights down before coming over. “A couple of them are in my classes, I know them.” Bambam frowned, quickly finding interest in his shoelaces and flinched nervously when he heard one of them speak up.
“Yugyeom! Hey, you’re here early,” the one Yugyeom pointed out as JB said, wiping the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand. The other two did the same, while the one Bambam was oogling wiped his hands on his shorts. Swallowing thickly, raised his head at the mention of his name, which Yugyeom was currently introducing as his best friend and roomie.
“Hi,” he said weakly, not trusting his voice so he coughed and promptly shut up. Everyone introduced themselves, including Mr hot-muscle-guy whom Bambam learned was named Jackson. He held out his hand which Bambam stared at dumbly. “So….I’m guessing you’re not into handshakes?” Jackson laughed, pulling his hand back. The short blond snapped to attention and quickly slapped his hand into Jackson’s retreating one, quickly clasping it and giving it an obnoxious shake. Even his hand felt as amazing as it looked, Bambam thought. “yes! Wait, I mean, uh-“ he mentally screamed at himself, pulling back as if he was burned. The group laughed at his obvious embarrassment and what Bambam would give for the floor to open up and swallow him whole. Great, great way to give a first impression towards the first guy Bambam found attractive in what seemed like forever and a year.
After settling down, JB turned to Yugyeom. “so, what are you doing here on a monday? I usually see you during the weekends.” Said boy shrugged, nudging the shorter blond with his knee. “I’ve been wanting to show Bam the gym since the campus one and I had some free time today so I figured I’d just take him early with me so he could get signed up.” If there was a moment bambam wanted to kiss his friend, it would be now considering the real reason they were here was because bambam was a fatass and yugyeom had to drag his in to help him work out since he had no plans on doing it on his own. Thankfully, his best friend didn’t mention any of this so there was no reason for him to go slinking out of the gym in embarrassment. Besides, he had embarrassed himself enough already.
“Ah, well, this gym has a lot to offer, “the one who introduced himself as mark explained. “ we come here a lot now since Youngjae works here. It’s large, but not as packed which is good.”
“Sadly, the hot girl selection here is lacking, “Jackson added, a mock sad expression setting on his features. “All I get to stare at are these losers right next to me.” And with that, some play shoving commenced and laughter filled their small area. Still, it was enough to make Bambam’s heart sink a little. Damn, he was straight!
Biting his lip, he glanced up at his best friend, giving him an intense stare. Yugyeom blinked and coughed before quickly saying, “er-right, well. It was nice to see you, hyung. You, too Mark hyung, Jackson hyung. Do you come two here often? Maybe I’ll see you all later. ” Bambam’s ears perked up when he heard Jackson speak up. “I usually come in late in the evening since I have class all day throughout the week.” Yugyeom nodded, smiling at the schedule Mark gave for his workout routine before turning his attention back to JB. “Right, well, it’s getting late, me and Bam have been here for a good hour or so and I can tell he’s anxious to get home.”
Bambam quickly stood up, almost tripping on the machine he was sitting on. “right, yeah,” he quickly said, “rubbing his forearms, “Tv show coming on soon, homework to do andd other stuff, things. It was nice meeting you all,” he said quickly, giving an awkward bow before gripping his best friend’s arm and pulling him back towards the front of the building where youngjae was at.
“Dude, hey!”Yugyeom complained, rubbing his arm as soon as Bambam let go. “we still need to get my stuff out of the locker!” he was ignored though, while Youngjae looked up from his clipboard and gave a polite smile. “So how did you like the gym?”
Bambam whipped out his wallet that he kept in his pocket, tossing his ID on the counter. “Sign me up.”

-------

 

this was horribly written and i am so sorry for that. Unedited/unbeta-d because i dont care.