Chapter One.

Demonem Maesta [discontinued]
Please log in to read the full chapter

First chapter, hope you guys like it :)
Thank you for the support you give me in your comments <3

 

 

 

  Chapter One.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Demons weren’t born demons.

There was no such thing as being born a demon. Those creatures were once angels. They had lost themselves, lost their soul, and turned into devils. It was their own choice. It was their own weakness. For this reason, Hyukjae despised them with all his heart.

“This is so boring.”

Hyukjae didn’t pay attention to Kyuhyun’s umpteenth whine. The dark-haired angel seemed unable to stop complaining. It was annoying and childish, but Hyukjae was used to it. He thus ignored the other and kept carefully scanning the surroundings.

The area was quiet. Only the soft sound of rustling leaves disturbed the silence of the woods. The giant trees around them shielded them from the sun. It was a good protection against their enemies’ eyes but also made them unable to see danger approaching. They had to be extra cautious.
Hyukjae could feel there was nobody around, except for Kyuhyun and himself, but he didn’t want to lower his guard. He had a mission to accomplish and he took it very seriously.

He glanced at the Gate, the precious passage he had been charged to protect from demons. It wasn’t anything spectacular to be honest, just a big dark hole in the ground, like a bottomless pit. But it led to the mortals’ world and therefore he had to keep it safe, at any cost.

It wasn’t the first time he was in charge of keeping the passage. Hyukjae was a good fighter, he was strong and skilled with a sword. He could defeat and kill any enemy crossing his path. His brothers trusted him to stop demons who’d try to sneak into the humans’ world.
But that wouldn’t happen, not as long as Hyukjae was the Gate keeper. He would never allow it. They would have to step over his dead body.

“Hyuk, there’s no one around. Don’t you want to relax a bit?”

“No.”

“Aish, you’re so uptight...”

He ignored Kyuhyun’s mumbles. He didn’t care what the other thought about him, he was used to this kind of comments.

Hyukjae was known to be a fierce angel. He was strong and proud, perhaps slightly arrogant because he knew how good he was of a warrior and he didn’t doubt his value on the battlefield.
He was a beautiful angel, with shining blonde hair and milky-white fair skin, enticing one-lidded eyes and gorgeous plump lips, but his gaze was dark and cold, and his sharp features made him look stern and apathetic.

He wasn’t one of the friendliest angels one could meet. He barely talked and didn’t seem interested in others. But paradoxically, he was one of the most hot-headed angels of the Celestial Lands. He had a fire in his eyes that no one could defeat.

Hyukjae despised demons more than anything in the world. He was one of the most involved angels into the fights against the monstrous creatures. He believed they were a plague they needed to stop and destroy. They were the result of the angels’ failure, and it was their duty to clean up the mess caused by those who once where their brothers.
The cold-hearted angel showed no mercy when it came to demons. He hated them with fervour and anger. His brothers had nicknamed him the Demon’s Slayer.

Usually, he’d be on the battlefield, at the heart of the fights. That was the place where he belonged, the place where he was the most helpful.
But guarding the Gate was also an honourable mission and he wouldn’t look down upon it, even if it meant standing still in front of the damn hole for hours.

“I’m gonna die if nothing happens”, Kyuhyun mumbled again, obviously not sharing the same opinion.

“Go back to the Palace, if you’re that bored. I can keep the Gate myself”, Hyukjae stiffly replied.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Leeteuk would kill me if I deserted my post”, he snorted.

“And I’ll kill you if you don’t shut the up.”

“Tsk, cold-hearted .”

Hyukjae flashed the other a glare, and his eyes could almost throw daggers. Kyuhyun averted his gaze and scrunched his face in defeat. Hyukjae turned his attention back to the trees around him and kept watching over the place with all his senses on alert.

Unlike his lazy brother, he would never let anything divert him from his duty.

 

 

“I’ll patrol around”, Hyukjae announced. “Don’t slack off. Keep the Gate safe.”

“There’s no demon around, nothing’s gonna happen”, the dark-haired angel retorted, only to earn another glare from the blonde.

“Do your duty properly.”

“Yes”, Kyuhyun sighed and stood up, stretching his legs. “Be careful.”

Hyukjae snorted. “I’m always careful”, he said and gave his brother a disdainful gaze, before he spun around and made his way toward the trees.

He made his way through the woods carefully, using all his senses to analyze his surroundings. He had felt a strange presence for a while and he needed to check upon it. It didn’t feel like it was a demon, for it was neither aggressive nor ominous, but he couldn’t afford to lower his guard.

He walked between the trees on more than a mile, swift as a cat and silent like a shadow. The sensation kept growing stronger as he closed up the distance between him and the mysterious presence. Eventually, he stepped into a clearing and tightened his alertness. He knew something was there, very close. But it wasn’t hostile.

His eyes travelled around the area, gaze sharp and fast, taking in every detail of the surroundings. Without a sound, he drew his sword out of its sheath and held it firmly. He took as step closer, and another one, until he was in the middle of the clearing.
His gaze and his senses were fully working. He could feel the presence, but couldn’t see anyone around. His body tensed, preparing to defend himself.

He spun around, sword raised, as he heard quiet footsteps in his back. He narrowed his eyes as he found himself face to face with a demon.
He unconsciously flared his nostrils, ready to attack.

“An angel...” the demon softly uttered, his voice barely audible.

Hyukjae frowned, slightly startled.

This devil looked different. Unlike others demons, his face wasn’t mutilated and distorted by hunger and fury. Actually, the creature was stunningly beautiful. His features were soft and graceful, and his expression calm. His deep and expressive eyes especially, managed to leave Hyukjae a little troubled.
If it wasn’t fo

Please log in to read the full chapter