Chapter Five.

Demonem Maesta [discontinued]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hey guys!
Short (but not too short) update for you :)
I'm glad that you don't think this story is boring (I know I make it a bit slow sometimes)
Anyway, school has started again so I'll get less time to write, but I'll try to keep updating regularly :)
Thank you for always supporting me <3
Hope you'll enjoy this chapter :)

PS: I'm sorry for the typos and stuff. I'm very tired.
 

 

 

Chapter Five.

 

 

 

Hyukjae abruptly jolted awake when he felt a hand tugging on his shoulder. He jerked up into a sitting position, hissing in pain as his sore ribs and weak muscles protested against the sudden action. He looked around frantically, trying to get back to his senses and recall where he was, but the only thing he could see was trees everywhere.
He turned his face to the side and got startled to find himself only a few inches away from Donghae’s face. Their gazes locked; Hyukjae’s heart missed a beat and he froze on the spot, not expecting the other’s intrusive proximity.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you”, Donghae softly spoke and withdrew his hand before the angel could even react.

Hyukjae blinked and snapped out of his shocked daze. In a flash, he remembered the events of the previous night and inwardly cursed himself when he realized he had fallen asleep.

They hadn’t spoken much after the demon’s mysterious and obscure revelations. The atmosphere had turned strange and silent, with both of them observing each other more or less discreetly. Hyukjae had felt the tension between them, even though Donghae didn’t show any sign of hostility. 

Yet, after Donghae’s little speech, Hyukjae had decided that, indeed, he couldn’t trust the demon and that it would therefore be wiser and safer not to lower his guard. But it seemed that the exhaustion and the spell draining out his energy had been stronger than his will power and, some time along the night, he had fallen into a deep slumber.

From the light and the chilly air, the angel could tell it was early in the morning. A quick glance upwards confirmed his guess as he saw the sky turning into a pale shade of blue, mixed with soft hues of pinks and reds, informing him that the night had just ended.
Which meant he had slept for hours, had been at Donghae’s mercy the whole time, vulnerable and weak while unconscious. His own carelessness made him upset. He was such a fool.

“I can see you’re still tired but I’ve got some more sap for you”, Donghae uttered, pulling the angel out of his self-scolding. Hyukjae then noticed he was holding one of those large leafs, full of the same dark liquid he had applied on his wounds the previous day.

The blonde angel cocked up an eyebrow, wondering why the demon kept wanting to help him when they clearly were enemies.

“Are you being nonsensically weird again?” he asked in disbelief.

“Lift up your arm”, the demon commanded instead of answering, and Hyukjae found himself silently complying, eyes stuck on the other’s face, feeling deeply confused and suspicious at the same time.

Ignoring Hyukjae’s heavy stare upon him, Donghae shifted to get himself closer and grabbed the angel’s arm, placing it on his shoulder like he had done before. He smeared a large amount of the brownish sap over the angel’s side and began to massage it carefully.

Hyukjae was surprised at how efficient the treatment was. His ribs still hurt, but less than before. He wasn’t sure how some simple tree-sap could help heal his wounds so much, but he gladly welcomed the physical relief.
On the other hand, he was getting weaker and number every hour, courtesy of the spell working on him, and maybe that helped to lessen the pain too.

His eyes wandered curiously over Donghae’s face as the demon worked his hands on his injury. Being always disgusted by demons’ appearance, he had to admit the other looked, well, good.
Donghae’s complexion was pale, pretty much livid, but nothing like the other demons’ putrefying skin which usually ended up turning into greyish shades of blue or even green. He didn’t have any of those hideous scars and awful wounds demons usually sported, caused by self-harm or resulting from fights.
His body looked slim and slender, from what Hyukjae could see, and he had also noticed that the ginger-head was rather short too. Actually, with his soft expression and his thin body, Donghae looked tiny and fragile. Even weak. One should never judge on the looks, some said, and it was true for Donghae.

Hyukjae wondered how the demon could be so strong when he appeared so frail. And he also wondered why he wasn’t changing like the others, keeping his angelic appearance when the others all turned into sick and disgusting creatures.

“Who are you?” he inquired, his voice barely louder than a whisper.

He couldn’t even keep all the hateful and angry facade anymore. Donghae wasn’t like the others demons that Hyukjae hated so much. He was nothing like the soulless beasts, nothing like the lost and spoiled creatures.   

Donghae’s hands stopped their work but his gaze remained glued to his slick fingers. It took him a few seconds before he looked up and back into Hyukjae’s black orbs.

“Who?” he said back, distress flashing through his eyes. “Who am I now?” he muttered and broke the visual contact, lowering his gaze back to his hands, proceeding to apply the rest of his healing mixture. “I was someone before, but then the one I was died... So I guess I’m nobody now, am I?”

“But why are you so strong? Why aren’t you affected like the other demons?” Hyukjae questioned again, eyes stuck on the devil’s handsome features.

Donghae shrugged and pulled his hands off the angel. “I told you. I’ve done things. I’ve used magic to stop the process and gained this power by committing dreadful acts.”

“What have you done?” Hyukjae uttered and then held his breath, waiting for the answer.

“You don’t want to know”, Donghae shortly replied, and the next second he stood up, letting Hyukjae’s arm fall off his shoulder. “The spell is growing stronger, we don’t have much time left and I can’t afford to waste more of it here. I’ll get going.”

Hyukjae grimaced, disappointed that he didn’t get clear answers from the demon. He glanced down at his side, quickly checking the wounded flesh. It was still sport

Please log in to read the full chapter