Chapter 1 - Her host

Wings

      He didn't know when it got there.

      He didn't know how it got there.

      He didn't know why it was there.

      He didn't know where it came from.

      He only know what it was, that it was a butterfly.

     It was already at his windowsill when he opened the casement window in his room after he woke up. Not that he was scared of insects or moths in particular. The scenery presented wasn't beautiful, nor picturesque. He'd picked the house and room facing the trees. So as to avoid the sun shining into his room. Normally butterflies like to be around flowers, but there weren't any plants. Let alone the trees.

     He decided to just leave it alone and close his window to prevent it from entering his room (for privacy reason). Just as he moved his hands, the butterfly moved as well. With the eyesight he considered 20/20, his eyes caught its slight movements. 

     It was as if its wings were in and its body itself grew bigger and bigger. In an instance, the butterfly he'd grown quite annoyed of was already replaced. 

      A young lady, seemingly still a teenager was crouching on his window sill. She had milky white skin, with her green veins standing against it too visibly. He was suddenly aware of his own pale skin which exposed none of his veins, unlike hers. Her hair was blonde with blue tints that fell in loose ringlets. Her face though, was delicate and regal. Perhaps the weirdest part of her face that made her look exotic was her slighty pointed ears. But her eyes were the most intriguing, they were exquisitely coloured-- blue without any pupils.

      Immediately she was already a few steps in front of him. That was swift of her, he thought. It was like she just flew in from the window.

     Her blue eyes scanned his room, and he took that chance to observe her further. She was wearing none footwear. Her pale blue dress ended below her knees, with loose shoulder straps and layers like ripples. It was a few shades lighter than her eyes. 

     The longer he stared, the scarier her eyes were to him. And when she returned the stare all of a sudden, he was surprised. Nonetheless, she opened and spoke, "My apologies to have disturbed your morning routine, Sir."     

     He shivered. The last time anyone had called him 'sir' was a long, long time ago. And please, it was historical. Even though he was scared of the fact that she might be someone he knew from his past -he'd buried them deep down in his heart deeply for so long that he'd already forgotten- his heart wasn't racing. Of course it wasn't.

     "I am afraid I have to regard this place as my sanctuary." 

     His eyes widened instantly. He couldn't imagine sharing a room with a total stranger.

     "Temporarily, Sir." Her voice sounded airy.

     He shook his head, wanting her to stop adressing him with that hideous word. "JB." He said, "Just call me JB."

    "Look. I have no idea who you are, why should I let you? You could even kill me for all I know." He reasoned. The idea of sleeping with an unknown girl was just horrible. Ok that came out wrong.

      "Thank you for reminding," She said instead, and was that cheerfulness traced in her voice? "I shall explain my arrival."

     "I am to accomplish the last mission given to us by the Queen, which is to mingle with others while showing that we are capable, as well as proving to her that our inner drives and powers would bring noone harm."

      JB answered her, expressionless, "I am not 'others' ."

      "Yes, preferrably humans but any creatures would do just well." She continued again with the tone of a toddler sneering in disdain. "Do you think I have not figured what you are?"

      "And you think I haven't figured out what you are too?" He retorted. He could already guess her identity though, from the way she talked and her features. And a major hint.

      JB had expected a clever comeback from her but instead, she laughed softly. "I suppose we're even."

     As much as I'm delighted to have your company, can't you find another..place to seek refuge?" He asked sarcastically. 

     She shook her head, her curls bouncing. "Unfortunately, Sir, no."

     "JB!" He reminded critically. "If you're gonna stay here, you are not allowed to call me Sir."

     She giggled again. "I suppose I am capable of following the first requirement, Si- JB." After the word came out, she chuckle-sighed. It felt weird and awkward. 

     "Will you at least explain to me why you have to stay here?" He imitated her chuckle-sigh.

     "First one to believe our words, will be bounded to us as our host. Be it an old man, he would act as my grandfather."

     Dang, he thought. "Then I'm your great great great grandpa." Oh yes, indeed he was older.

     "Not necessarily. It doesn't suit you." She objected, much to his delight. Physically.

     "Besides, it's too long." He agreed casually. "JB oppa will do." Oh, ignore the fluffiness.

     "Agreed then, JB oppa." Again, the words sounded strange to her ears.

    "And because you chose the wrong host," JB shrugged, "This lodge is quite crowded. And you're gonna need a cover story that the people in the neighbourhood can take in without much suspicion." 

     She raised her eyebrow.

     "I'm gonna introduce you to everyone as my sister who had just moved from abroad. Which means you'll need a Korean name like mine currently." Sure, she knew 'JB' was certainly one of his disguises.

     "Because I'm your host," He smirked, enjoying all the priviledges as he could. "I'll name you Ara."

     "I am to say, 'I am Ara, JB's sister.' Correct?"

     "Aren't you a good learner?" He complimented his newly arrived sister. That made her sound like a packaged gift. "But, oh G- oh Angel! Those eyes."

     Said girl only blinked naively.

     "Gotta get you some lenses before you freaked everyone in the neighbourhood." He said, more like reminding himself panickly.

     "What is wrong with my eyes?" She asked in return, pointing at her own eyes. That moment, he saw her hands. Her nails were neatly trimmed and were blue in colour, as if she'd just gone out from saloon. Though her finger were different, they were decorated with scars and were calloused. His were clean, in fact no scars could be detected on his body.

     "Is it because my eyes are blue?" Her question dragged him back again before he could go too far out of topic.

     "Yes! Well they might think you're a delinquent. Dyed blonde hair and manicured nails. But you've got pupils! Even with blue lenses, pupils would wtill show." He explained.

     "These are not my fault. I was born looking like this." She muttered though JB actually knew.

     He grinned again, mentally choosing the colour for her lenses. "I know. The stores aren't open yet at this time, so I guess you'll have to stay inside the house this whole day."

     She raised an eyebrow at him.

     "You can roam around, familiarizing yourself with our house for the time being while I explain to the boys."

     "Isn't it necessary for me to hide inside your room, until you finish explaining to them and take in the fact that I'm here?"

     JB smirked. Perhaps the girl forgot. How happy he was to remind her. "Nah. I'm sure they have noticed your presence by now. Only, they are patiently waiting for my explanation outside, being the obedient fledglings."

     "Oh right." Ara stiffened, "I see."

     He smiled carefully and reached out to open the door. "So, shall I introduce you to the others?" He saw her nervous expression, which lasted only a second and gave her your-fault-for-choosing-this-place-to-stay look.

     "Would you rather introduce yourself first, before introducing me?" She said, flashing a mischievous smile which was kind of her trademark back there.

     "Im Jae Beom, a Vampire. Leader of this Coven."

     Ara snapped her fingers, the smile still on her face while she walked to the door.

     "And shouldn't you introduce yourself to me too? How am I supposed to introduce you to them?" JB pointed out, returning the grin. He had to surpress himself when she revealed her identity. His guessing was correct after all. 

     "A pleasure to meet you, Im Jae Beom. I'm Nyxie, a Faerie."