Final

The Consequences of Love

Tao rolled over and stared; stared at his face to be exact. His twin brother Dehua was still asleep next to him. They were born just seconds apart, but Tao felt that they were one. Not only did they enjoy the same things, but they were physically identical right down to the mole at the top of their chests. Reaching forward, Tao gently Dehua’s cheek.

“Gege. Wake up.” He whispered.

Dehua’s eyes twitched and he scrunched his face before yawning and opening his eyes. Blinking a few times, he smiled when he saw the face of his younger brother just inches from his own.

“Good morning Tao. How long have you been up?”

“Not long. Besides I like watching you sleep.”

Dehua laughed and sat up. “That’s creepy Tao.”

Pouting, Tao also sat up and got out of bed. “Will you shower with me Ge?”

“Again? We just showered together last night.”

When Tao didn’t answer Dehua turned around and blushed when Tao was gliding towards him dressed only in his boxers. “Please Ge?” he breathed seductively into Dehua’s ear. He moaned as Tao nibbled on his ear and finally gave in.

“Fine! I’ll meet you in there. Go get it warm.”

Tao smiled and jumped off to the bathroom with Dehua at his heels.

They quickly showered and pulled on their school uniforms for the first time after a long break. The downstairs was empty and cold. Their parents had sent them to school in Korea while they stayed back home.

“You must do well in school or you are no son of ours.” They had told the twins before boarding the plane and heading back to China.

Grabbing some fruit, the pair locked the front door and began their walk to school. School wasn’t stressful to them. They had tutors when they were younger and were already fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean.

“I don’t want to go back to school. It’s so boring.” Tao whined to his brother.

Ruffling his hair, Dehua smiled, “I know, but this is our last year. Then we can go work with Baba at the company. You’re excited for that right?”

“Yes.” Tao lied as he bit his lip. He didn’t tell his brother that he had a passion for martial arts and dreamt of competing in the big leagues. Already he could picture his brother’s horrified face as he told him he wanted to chase a dream. He was already taking lessons after schools, but they were short and secret so his brother wouldn’t find out.

They approached the school gates and entered. No one greeted them, but they didn’t mind. Although they were attractive they gave off a cold aura that scared any potential friends away.

“I don’t want to leave.” Tao pouted as he hung onto Dehua’s arm. Although they were in the same grade and taking the same classes, they didn’t have them the same hour. In fact, they didn’t have a single class together this chunk of the year.

“I don’t either Tao, but I promise I’ll pick you up after you’re done studying after school.”

‘Oh yeah. That’s what I told him I was doing, studying.’ “Ok. Bye.”

Tao waved as his brother turned the opposite way down the hall and headed to his classroom. After he disappeared from sight Tao did the same. The classroom was loud and buzzing with voices.

“Tao, did you hear about the new teacher we’re getting?” Tao’s friend Sehun asked.

“New teacher? What happened to Hu Laoshi?” (teacher Hu)

“He quit or got moved or something, but apparently this teacher is fresh out of school and very handsome.”

Tao shrugged, “Whatever. As long as someone teaches I don’t really care who it is.”

“You’re just saying that because you already have someone.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re brother? I know you guys are close.”

“So? We’re related.”

“You shower together.”

“So?”

“Tao… normal siblings don’t do that.”

“They don’t?”

“No! Of course not!”

“Oh…”

“Don’t worry. It’s fine; just don’t go around telling people that. Because I’m your best friend you can tell me, but no one else.”

Tao nodded his head up and down and pretended to zip his lips.

The door slid open and everyone rushed to their seat eager to see the new teacher. A tall blonde dressed in black entered the room and everyone fell silent. Tao’s eyes widened as he held his breath. The man in front of him looked to handsome to be real.

The blonde scanned the room and his eyes locked onto Tao who turned red and dropped his eyes.

“Good morning everyone. I’m your new teacher Wu Yifan.”

“Zaoshang hao Wu Laoshi.” (Good morning teacher Wu)

“Yes well starting today I will be in charge of this class and I do not tolerate any foolishness am I understood?”

“Yes.”

“Good, now, let’s begin.”

Yifan was quick, but thorough and Tao actually found class to be interesting. He thought it was just him, but he swore that Yifan would stare at him longer than other students during the lessons. Lunch came around and Tao packed his bag and waited for his brother to come find him.

“Tao. I noticed that you seemed a little distracted today in class. Do you need help with the material?” Yifan asked as he approached Tao.

“Ah no. Thanks, but I actually understood it. Well I’ve got to go. Bye.” Tao mumbled as he rushed out of the room. He ran down the hall to Dehua’s classroom where Dehua was just exiting.

“Tao? Why did you come to me? Usually I pick you up.”

“I thought I could pick you up for once. Let’s go eat.”

“Did something happen? You seem flustered.”

“Nope nothing. Just hungry.”

“Ok…” Dehua was skeptical. He could tell when something was off.

They ate lunch like normal and soon it was time to return to class. Tao bit his lip and he slid open the door. Yifan wasn’t in the room yet and Tao let go of a breath he didn’t even know he was holding.

“He’s hot.”

“What?” Tao looked up to find Sehun looking him in the eyes.

“The new teacher. He’s hot right?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Whatever! I could totally tell you were staring at him and I think he was staring back as well.”

“Really?”

“Maybe I was just imagining it.” Sehun said as he put his hands behind his head and lumbered off to his seat. He sat down just as Yifan reentered the room. He looked at Tao before going to his desk and resuming their lesson.

The end of the day bell rang and Tao purposely took longer than usual to pack his bag. Nearly everyone was out of the room when Tao was zipping his bag. He looked up and swallowed. Yifan was working at his desk when Tao slowly approached.

“Yes Tao?” Yifan said without looking up.

“Laoshi… I was wondering…”

“Yifan.”

“Excuse me?”

“Call me Yifan. Laoshi sounds weird.”

“Um alright… Yifan.”

Yifan smiled and looked up at Tao. “Yes?”

“I didn’t really understand the material today. Would you mind helping me after school sometime?”

“Of course. How about after school today and the rest of the week just so I know that you understand it?”

“Ok. Tao took his seat again and opened his book. He looked at the questions and could solve them in his head, yet he pretended that he was lost. When Yifan would lean over his shoulder to check his work he would inhale and take in his scent and when he wasn’t near him, Tao was staring at him from his desk.

Their study sessions continued until it was the last day of their tutoring time. Tao was packing his back as the sun set. He had stayed longer due to it being his last day, but he figured Dehua would just go to bed without him if need be.

Bowing, he turned to leave. “Thank you for your help Yifan. I understand now and should be able to keep up in class.”

Yifan stood up and walked over to Tao.

“Tao.” He said.

“Yes?” Tao breathed.

Suddenly Yifan leaned down and pressed his lips against Tao’s. He gripped Tao’s chin gently as he worked his lips back and forth. After a few seconds Tao finally pulled away bright red and panting.

“W-What are you doing?” he stuttered as he wiped his mouth.

Yifan smirked, “Don’t act like you didn’t want me to do that. I noticed the way you were looking at me since the day I arrived. Don’t worry I feel the same way.”

“We’re teacher and student. This is inappropriate.”

“Then let’s go on a date. Not as teacher and student, but as a couple. I like you Tao and I can tell that you like me.”

Tao just stared at him dumbfounded. ‘Date a teacher? Date Yifan? No way!’

“Ok.” ‘Wait what?’

“Let’s go on a date. This Saturday. Meet me at the Coex Aquarium at noon.” Tao said with a straight face.

“Ok. It’s a date.”

Tao nodded before sliding the door opened and exiting.

He was so flustered by the kiss he didn’t notice Dehua fuming around the corner.

Tao ran home. It was already dark and Dehua would be angry that he was out so late. Opening the door he called out. “Dehua? Gege? Are you home?”

Only silence replied. Cautiously, Tao made his way through the house searching for any signs of life. He jumped when the front door opened and quickly walked to the entrance of the house to see Dehua walking in with a cold look on his face.

“Oh Gege there you are. Where were you so late tonight?”

Dehua glared at him, “I should ask you the same thing.”

Tao gulped, “I was studying like I usually do after school.”

“Studying until dark? What kind of teacher keeps a student so late? Don’t with me Tao, I know what you were doing with Yifan. I saw you. Do you love him? You could get kicked out of school. What the hell were you thinking?!”

Dehua was fuming mad and Tao cowered in the corner, “I’m sorry Ge I just really like him. I know that it’s risky, but Yifan made sure that we wouldn’t get caught in school. Please don’t be angry.”

“Don’t be angry? You’re jeopardizing your future for a stupid teacher who’s practically you! I know that you have a date planned for tomorrow, don’t even think about going.”

“You can’t tell me what to do! It’s my life and my choices!”

Dehua opened his mouth to shout again, but closed it and took a deep breath.

“Fine. You know what? You’re right. Go. Go on your date, but I can’t promise that nothing will happen to Yifan. I’m not going to sit back and watch you ruin your life. He’s not worth it. I guess I’ll just let you see that for yourself.”

Tao was about to ask Dehua what he meant, but he spun around and walked up to their bedroom. Cringing, Tao racked his brain for any possible answer to the riddle he had been given. He knew how cruel Dehua could be. When they were younger he would torture every animal they ever found or owned until it died. Sometimes if he was really bored he would catch rats and force them to starve until they ate each other.He ended up falling asleep on the couch with a sick feeling in his stomach and waking to Dehua making breakfast in the kitchen.

He rubbed his eyes as he awoke and cautiously called out, “Ge? What are you doing?”

“Making breakfast. You’re hungry right?” Dehua said with a smile. Tao was scared; Dehua was acting like last night had never happened. Sitting up he walked into the kitchen and put his palm on Dehua’s forehead.

“Are you sick or something?”

Dehua brushed Tao’s hand away and laughed, “I’m fine, but you should go get ready for your date. You wouldn’t want to be late would you?”

“I suppose not…” Tao mumbled as he walked up to their room stealing glances at his brother the entire way. As he changed he felt a cold sweat come over him. Dehua was not the kind of person to just let something slip away like that.

He came down the stairs and shoved his jacket on while taking one last look at Dehua.

“Have a good time on your date.” Dehua said as he eye smiled towards Tao.

“Yeah… thanks.” Tao whispered as he slipped out the door.

The entire walk to the aquarium was filled with paranoia and caution. He constantly looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was following and a few times he jumped because he swore he heard someone behind him.

His mood lightened when he saw Yifan waiting for him outside of the aquarium entrance.

“Tao.” He said with a smile. Immediately he walked over and wrapped his arms around Tao. Leaning in he pushed his lips against Tao’s before taking his hand and leading him inside.

“Don’t we need to pay for tickets?”

“I already got them.” Yifan said as he waved the tickets in the air.

The first part of the date went smoothly and Tao enjoyed himself. Yifan was kind and knowledgeable. He even helped Tao see over crowds when he needed it. Soon it was lunch time and Yifan picked a table for them to sit at.

“I’m going to get us something to drink I’ll be back.”

Tao nodded and sat staring at the crowds of people. He laughed at the children and smiled at the other couples. Suddenly his blood ran cold as he locked onto a face; his face.

‘D-Dehua?!’ his brain screamed. ‘Yifan. Where is Yifan?! Oh god he wouldn’t do something to him would he?!’ Tao jumped up and ran. His eyes skimmed over hundreds of faces as he searched. Finally he found Yifan bent over at a soda machine.

Out of breath he approached and tried to calm his racing heart. “Y-Yifan. Are you ok?”

“Tao? Yeah I’m fine, but didn’t I tell you to wait?”

Tao bit his lip and latched onto Yifan. “Sorry I just got worried. I’m glad you’re ok.”

“Is every thing ok?” Yifan asked with concern. He noticed Tao was pale and breathing heavily.

“I’m good. Let’s keep looking at fish.”

Holding hands, they went to finish the second half of their date. Tao however couldn’t calm down. He kept seeing Dehua’s face everywhere he went. By the end of the date he was sick to his stomach and felt like he was going to pass out.

“Yifan… can I walk you home?”

Yifan was taken aback by this request. “You want to walk me home? I think it should be the other way around.”

“Please?”

Tao sounded pathetic and weak and Yifan gave in easily. They walked in silence except for Yifan’s small talk. Reaching an apartment complex Yifan told Tao that he could go alone from there. Thanking him with a kiss he disappeared into his apartment after telling him to be careful on his way.

As soon as Yifan disappeared Tao ripped out his phone. Pressing call he could hear his own shaky breath over the phone.

“Wei?”

“I know you were there today. I saw you.”

“What ever are you talking about Tao?”

“Don’t with me!”

“Tsk tsk. Language. I was just watching. Don’t worry I wouldn’t do anything in public to him, but he does have a nice home doesn’t he? A fairly large apartment in my opinion, I’m impressed.”

Tao paled, “Don’t touch him. Don’t you date touch him.”

“Break up with him Tao. Leave him. You know you don’t belong together and that you should be together.”

“I think I love him. I’ve never cared about anyone this much in my entire life.”

“What about me?” there was a warning tone to Dehua’s voice.

“Ge… I love you like a brother. Yifan is different. Why can’t you understand?”

“No Tao. Why can’t you understand? I’m hanging up now. Come home now. Goodnight.”

Tao watched as his screen darkened. A tear dripped down his cheek. He knew that no matter how hard he tried he could never beat Dehua. He was smarter, faster, stronger, and crueler. He trudged down the street his feet dragged against the ground and he kept seeing images of Yifan being tortured in his mind.

Leaning down he vomited over the side of a bridge. Tears fell from his eyes. Fear overcame him and he cried out.

‘He’s going to kill him if I don’t stop seeing him, but it will kill me if I don’t see him. I would rather die then be a puppet in my families show. I can’t do this. I would rather die.’ He thought over and over in his head.

Staring over the side of the bridge into the water below, he saw a flash of freedom. Gripping the wall, he stood up on the edge and stared down.

He pulled out his phone and hit Yifan’s contact.

“Hello? Tao? Did you get home alright?”

“Yifan. I love you. I think from the moment I saw you I knew that you were special to me. Thank you for taking me on a date. I had the best time in my life. Thank you for everything.”

“Tao… why does it sound like you’re going away? We’re going to see each other in school tomorrow.”

“Thank you Yifan.”

“Tao you’re scaring me.”

“Don’t worry; you have no reason to be afraid. Never again.”

With that Tao hung up and dropped his phone into the water before plunging in as well.

Dehua sat at home. He was getting impatient. Tao still wasn’t home and his phone was off. Grinding his teeth he went to their bedroom to sleep.

‘You’re going to pay for ignoring me Tao.’

Dehua was jolted awake by loud rapping on his front door.

Stumbling down the stairs he yanked it open expecting to see Tao standing in front of him, but instead of was a police office.

“Good day. Are your parent’s home?”

“No I live alone with my brother. Why did something happen”

“Last night a body washed up on the shore. We need you to come identify it down at the morgue. Would you please come with us?”

Dehua followed still dressed in his pajamas. ‘Tao wouldn’t kill himself would he?’

He swallowed bile as the mortician pulled back the sheet to reveal a face; his face.

“Tao.” He breathed. The baby brother that he adored and lived for was dead.

“Is this your brother?”

Dehua nodded.

“We’ll give you a moment to yourself.”

Dehua just stared. Soon tears streamed down his face before he collapsed into a sobbing mess. Eventually a police officer picked him up and brother him back home.

He sat for day numb from the pain. During the funeral he didn’t cry. During the solitude at home he didn’t cry. He didn’t cry when he told his parents and he didn’t cry when he admitted to himself that Tao was gone.

‘I don’t deserve to be sad. This is my fault. Tao is dead because of me.’

Dehua looked down at a photo of himself and Tao. A tear fell onto the photo and Dehua laughed. “Tao. How can I make you forgive me? I never meant for this to happen. Please. Tell me what to do!”

If on cue, a knock on the door snapped him out of his thoughts.

His eyes widened when he answered the door to be engulfed in a hug.

“Wu Laoshi?!”

“Tao! I was so worried! You didn’t come to school this entire week and you weren’t answering your phone! What the hell! Also I told you to call me Yifan!”

‘What? Tao? Oh this is that stupid teacher. He doesn’t know that Tao is dead. He doesn’t know that I’m his brother. Ha. You’re in for a surprise teacher.’

Dehua was about to break the news to Yifan when he realized that this was the man that Tao died for. He loved him enough to die for his safety.

‘Tao. I know how I’m going to make it up to you. I’ll keep your teacher happy. I’ll be you. I will do everything I can do live the life that you deserved.’

Clearing his throat Dehua smiled, “Yifan. It’s good to see you. Sorry I fell ill and my phone broke. I should really get a new one, but I haven’t been well enough to go out of the house.”

“Sick? Did you catch a cold after walking home?” Yifan pressed a palm to Dehua’s forehead.

“Uh yeah.”

“Sorry for freaking out. I was just really worried.” Leaning down, Yifan was about to brush his lips against Dehua’s, but Dehua turned away.

Seeing Yifan’s confused face he quickly explained, “Ah I don’t want you to get sick.”

“My Tao is so thoughtful. Are you coming back to school soon?”

“Tomorrow.”

“We can have some more study sessions so you can catch up.” Yifan said with a wink.

Dehua’s blood boiled and he had to fight the urge to punch him in the face.

“Of course. I look forward to it. I’m going to sleep now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Ok. Bye Tao.” Yifan as he kissed Dehua’s knuckles.

Dehua cringed as he closed the front door.

Biting his lip, Dehua stared into the mirror. He was wearing Tao’s school uniform and it fit like a glove. Clearing his throat he tried to imitate Tao’s voice.

“Sehun-ah! *ehem* Yifan Wo ai ni! Aish…”

‘Here goes nothing.’ He thought before heading to school.

The first test was Sehun. If he could get Sehun to believe that he was Tao he could convince everyone else. For the first time in his life Dehua went the other direction in the hall. He slid open the door and looked for Tao’s seat. Finding it he sat down and opened the desk. It was neatly organized and clean. He jumped when the desk slammed down nearly crushing his hand.

“Tao! Where were you man?!”

“Sehun. I was sick. Sorry.”

“Sick? I see. Are you still sick? Something seems off with you.”

“Yeah a little.”

“Huh well how is it going with your teacher?”

‘Sehun knew about Yifan?!’ Dehua thought as he narrowed his eyes.

“Good. We went on a date this weekend.”

“Date?! Dang those after school study sessions are really paying off. Oh hey here comes your teacher now. I’ll talk to you during lunch.”

‘Phew he didn’t realize who I am.’ Dehua thought as he let go of a breath he was holding. Yifan walked into the room and upon seeing Tao’s seat filled, smiled to himself.

“Alright class let’s begin.”

Dehua had no trouble catching up in the lessons and had finished all of the homework by the time lunch came.

The day went smoothly and Dehua was finally getting the hang of being Tao.

“Yifan. I understood the material today so I don’t need to stay after school.”

“What? Oh that’s good, but that’s not usually why you stay after school right?”

“Of course not. I was going to ask if you wanted to come to my house instead.”

“Go to your house?”

“Yes.”

“I suppose I could do that.”

“Good. I’ll meet you after class then.”

“See you then…”

Dehua entered the living room to see Yifan looking around.

“Can I help you find something?”

“Oh no. I just noticed that you don’t have any pictures. It’s a very empty house.”

‘That’s because all of my pictures include my dead brother and your dead boyfriend.’

“That’s because my parents don’t really like taking pictures.”

“Something seems different about you Tao. I don’t know what it is.”

“I’m still me Yifan. I’m still Tao.”

Yifan moved closer to Dehua and leaned in. Dehua was about to pull away but then he remembered that Tao and Yifan had already kissed. Closing his eyes he felt Yifan’s lips brush against his own. At first they were gently touches but soon they intensified and Dehua was left breathless.

“That’s the Tao I remember.” Yifan said with a smirk before looking at his watch. “I should get it’s getting late. Don’t forget to do your homework.”

Dehua saw Yifan to the door and smiled as he exited. As soon as the door closed he slid to the ground.

“Pretending to be someone else is exhausting.”

Unfortunately for Dehua his entire life was nothing, but exhausting. The routine of being Tao continued through graduation and into college. Yifan and “Tao” kept in touch and soon Yifan proposed. By then Dehua was so caught up in his role of “Tao” he said yes and burst into tears.

‘Tao would have wanted this.’

They were married in front of friends and only family from Kris’s side. Dehua didn’t want his parents to risk letting Yifan know the truth.

“Do you want kids Tao?”

“Kids? I don’t think so. I’m not really the maternal type.”

‘I can’t let kids have a liar for a parent.’

“I see.”

“Am I not satisfying?” Dehua asked with smirk.

Yifan pounced on him and placed kisses all over his face and neck. “You’re all that I need Tao. I love you.”

“I love you too.” ‘I’m sorry you love a liar.’

Years passed in their happy marriage. They never had kids, but didn’t need anyone aside from each other. Soon they were the ripe age of 80 and Dehua was beginning to have health issues.

He was put in the hospital under constant care and Yifan was always at his side. The day came when Dehua knew it was time. Yifan walked into the room with flowers as usual and took a seat at the side of his bed.

“Yifan.” Dehua breathed.

“Shh baby don’t speak. It’s alright I’m here.”

Dehua put a weak hand on Yifan’s and continued, “I need to tell you something. Please just listen to me. I’m sorry but I’ve been lying to you our entire lives. I’m not Tao. My name is Dehua and I’m Tao’s twin brother. Tao is dead. He died many years ago because of me. To repent for my sins I decided that I would live the life that Tao deserved, that you deserve. I know that this is a lot to take in, but it doesn’t matter. Tao loved you with all of his heart and I hope that I could provide you with the love that you deserve. You don’t need to forgive me. I just wanted you to know the truth before I died.”

Yifan sat in silence. He didn’t know what to say. At first he was angry. This man killed Tao. Tao was dead. He felt sad. Then he felt warm. Even though he wasn’t Tao the man in front of him was still the man he spent many love filled years with. Taking a deep breath he smiled.

“Dehua is it? Nice to meet you, my name is Yifan. Do you believe in love a first sight because it feels as though we’ve spent a lifetime together though we’ve only just met?”

Dehua was speechless at first before tears trailed down his cheeks. “I do. Thank you.”

Closing his eyes for the final time he felt warm.

Light shone in front of him as he walked upwards. Eventually it became too blinding and he had to close his eyes. When he opened them Tao was standing in front of him.

“Tao. Oh god Tao! I’m so sorry! Hate me! Punish me! I’m a terrible person!” Dehua sobbed at Tao’s feet.

“Ge.” A gently voice echoed. “Stand up.”

Tao reached down and pulled Dehua up by his hand. “I’m not mad. I don’t hate you. I forgive you and love you. When you lived as Tao for me I felt happy. You gave Yifan what he wanted and live selflessly for your entire life. Thank you. I’m thankful for having a great brother like you.”

Dehua sniffled, “I want you to know that I did everything I did out of love. I loved you Tao. Not just as a brother, but as a man. You were my world and when I thought of you with another man it hurt. I wanted the pain to end so I did everything I could to stop it and ended up hurting you. Please forgive me for being such a selfish person.”

“It’s ok Ge. I love you too. It’s time for you to go to heaven.” Tao pointed to a golden gate just a little ways up a cloud. Dehua began to walk towards it, but stopped when he noticed that Tao wasn’t following him.

“Are you coming too?”

Tao smiled sadly, “Ge… don’t you know that people who commit suicide go to hell?”

Dehua paled, “No. Tao… You’re lying!”

“It’s time for me to go Ge. I love you. Thank you.” Tao turned and began to disappear down a black staircase. Dehua turned and ran towards the quickly closing hole. “Tao no! God don’t do this! Tao! Please! Don’t leave me!”

The hole closed and Dehua was left sobbing on a cloud. “I deserve to be in hell not Tao! Why?! Why would you do this?! I should be the one down there!”

When Dehua opened his eyes again he was in front of the golden gate. Red eyed he stood up and entered.

“Welcome to heaven Dehua.” An angel greeted him with a smile. When Dehua looked out across the golden clouds he saw nothing but smiles and warm faces, but with out Tao it was nothing more than an eternal hell. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The end! Thank you for reading this long story. I hope I didn't bore you too much! 

Please leave me a comment belows, upvote, etc :)

XOXO