A Fiery Remnant of a Memory

Mikoto

My spine lit up to a thousand degrees and I fell onto the ground. The stranger at the cabin panicked when he saw my appearance. I shivered at the immense pain now radiating itself from my entire body. I gained fragments of my memories; a woman in a mask with green hair who enjoyed sake. The memory itself seemed to reject being in my mind and tried desperately to escape. I started to panick, wondering, hoping, that the pain would stop, and then just as suddenly as it came on, it vanished as if it never even existed. "Hey, are you alright?"

He helped me up onto my feet and I let out a deep breath, glad it was over, yet kind of missing the feeling suddenly. "I'm fine. Take me to a clinic, please?" He agreed rapidlly,  but then his gaze deepened.

"Unfortunatly, the closest clinic is over two hours away." He said. My eyes leered into his house. Animal skins adorned the walls and there was a strong musky smell eminating from inside. What was it? It seemed strangely familiar--like when the villagers brought us a wagon full of animal fur to keep us warm for the cold winter ahead of us. The man started to speak, interuppting my train of thought. "It's a good thing, though, that I'm a doctor--I'll help your wounds if you wish?" I nodded my head and took a step inside. He questioned why I had this certain hue of geen for a hair color. "I wish I knew," I answered simply, knnowing about as much as him. The green hair reminded me of that woman in the mask from earlier. My head throbbed, reminding me of the memory and of the pain that soon followed it. I dismissed the lingering thought.

The man asked if I thought the pain was beginning to surface again. I nodded my head lightly, "What's your name?"

The man went over to a cupboard and reached up, grabbing a small tin box with a red cross on it. "My name is Kuronoma." He pulled the lid off of the tin box and poured the contents onto the table. "I'm a doctor at Gonda Hospital which is only a few miles away from here., so you don't have to worry about your wounds."

I examined my body. "What wounds?"

He sighed at started to unravel a cylinder of gauze. He crept closer. "You probably can't see it," He said. "after all, there is a significant gash on your forehead." He touched my forehead and I slithered backwards. The pain was immense. I touched my finger to where the pain was eminating, and regretted it once I felt the sting of touching my fresh wound. I looked at my finger, now with blood smeared on the tip. Kuronoma tossed me a rag and I wiped the blood off my finger, it now staining the tip of my fingernail. "How come I didn't notice it earlier?"

He grabbed a cotton swab from the pile of miscelaneous medical treatments. "It was probably due to addrenaline," He touched the cotton swab to the cut. The cotton swab stung, but I held on, trying not to hinder his work. "The addrenaline worked as a buffer, so you didn't feel any pain. That's why when you run on addrenaline, you tend to ignore all pain and focus on either 'fighting', or 'flying'."He placed a strip of medical gauze onto the cut and grabbed a roll of tape, cutting it into stips to place over it to keep it held in place. "So you never told me your name; might I ask what it is?"