Insurgent

Insurgent

 

It’s the second time of the day Lee Taemin gets caught by the head of student council for not wearing his uniform properly. First, summer is nearing its peak. He can’t stand the heat; wearing school vest is just too much for him to bear. Second, he just likes it when he bumps into Choi Minho and the latter starts scolding him for whatever mistake he’s committing at the time. Sorry not sorry.

“Where is your vest, Lee Taemin?”

“Folded neatly under my desk,” answered Taemin nonchalantly.

“Do you know that the school’s regulation –“

“Yeah, yeah, about wearing vest and tie and something about properly dressed up. You reminded me about that this morning if you remember.”

“I remember it like the back of my hand, Lee Taemin. I also remember asking you to put on your vest and why are you not taking my notice seriously?”

“It’s so hot, Mr. President. I can’t stand summer heat. Don’t you see I’m still sweating a bucket even though I’ve ed my shirt a little?” Lee Taemin fakes a sigh and runs his hand to wipe the thin layer of sweat on his cleavage. The action brings Minho’s eyes down on Taemin’s half exposed chest and Taemin smirks at that.

“Enjoying the sight, Mr. President?” he teases.

Minho quickly averts his gaze and clears his throat before giving Taemin the second notice for breaking the school’s regulation, which of course, will be disregarded by the school’s biggest rebel to date.

 

“What the are you doing in the ing library? Did you walk into the wrong room?” is Taemin’s way to greet his friend, Kim Jonghyun.

“Calm your down, . It’s a ing library like you say, a place where you have to whisper your words.”

Kim Jonghyun is probably the most wanted guy at school. He’s popular amongst the female students (and teachers) to the point there are rumors that he puts his physical advantages to a good use, to make the female teachers to pass him on their classes for example. But since there is no evidence, it remains a groundless rumour. No one knows the truth.

“I was looking for a good hiding place and then I saw you from the windows. You just don't pay a visit to library so it scared the hell out of me. I thought you get poisoned by one of those stupid girls so you kinda lose your mind, can't think straight and practically end up in this horrible place.”

“As far as I remember you enjoy getting caught by Choi ing Minho why hiding from him now?”

“You don’t ing swear on his ing name,” Taemin hisses.

“Tsk tsk, you’re worse than those stupid girls.”

Kim Jonghyun always has a thing about the president of the student council. Taemin guesses Minho is like the only competitor Jonghyun has in term of popularity.

“If someone has to swear on him, I want it coming from anyone but you. Your dirty mouth doesn’t even deserve that chance.”

“And what about yours, little ?”

Taemin sighs in defeat. He admits that his swearing habit is hard to control. He tries his best not to swear on his two years’ crush but it’s just difficult when Minho is acting like and torturing Taemin with detention.

“So what’s up?” Jonghyun repeats.

“I just got my second few minutes ago. I really don’t want to run over him for the third time. I can’t stand going through his boring detention at school and being grounded for a week at home.”

“Oh, when did you get your second detention again?”

“Three days ago you idiot.” But Jonghyun is no longer paying attention to Taemin as his eyes are fixed on the walking figure a few feet away. “Oh God, you’re ing stalking that nerd again.”

“Listen, there is this good movie and I’m going to ask him out. But of course, council’s schedule is going to get on my way. Why don’t you keep Minho busy after school so I can have my Jinki? In return, your parents won’t get any call from school.”

“I’d love to keep him busy.” Taemin smirks. If there is any reason why they're a good friend to each other, it's because Jonghyun’s father owns this school and Taemin knows how to keep Minho busy.

 

“Hi there”

Jinki exhales loudly at the sight of the other male.

“Purposedly running into a council member when you’re clearly breaking the school’s rule about wearing uniform properly is not a wise thing to do.” Jinki addresses to Jonghyun’s ed shirt and the absence of a tie. But the thing is Jonghyun always puts on a cool T-shirt under his white shirt that’s why the shirt have to be ed all the way down so he can show off his cool – and expensive – T-shirt collection. About the tie, it obviously doesn’t match the T-shirt.

“It’s cool, isn’t it?” he refers to his T-shirt.

“It’s against the school’s rules.” Jinki replies without sparing a glance

“But it’s the latest edition; take a look at it first!”

Jinki stops on his way and turns to face Jonghyun, “You’ve got your first warning. Is there anything else you need from me?”

“Yes, would you like to go on a movie with me? After school will be perfect.”

“I’m busy.” Jinki says as he walks away.

“You’re schedule-free today.” Jonghyun insists.

“If you’re dying to watch it then why don’t you go with some girls you know? We’re not even friends. Besides, I have a meeting after school.”

“Let’s bet on this, if you don’t have that stupid meeting, you’ll go with me. If you do, I’ll dress up as it should be for a week.”

“Wearing your uniform appropriately is an obligation as student, Kim Jonghyun.”

“And I don’t have time for stupid bet.” Jinki adds.

 

“Lee Taemin, detention at 5, student council’s room.” Minho declares when he meets Taemin by chance at school’s cafeteria.

“Oh ,”

“Swearing at school’s ground is prohibited. We’re going to inform your parents about your detention.”

“You won’t.” Taemin winks.

“It’s your third detention this month, in case you forget.”

“Oh, it’s my third already?” Taemin steps closer to Minho. “You sure love spending time with me, alone, in your private room, don’t you, Minho?” Taemin whispers.

 

“So, what do you have in store for me today?” Taemin confidently asks Choi Minho once he arrives at the room he’s grown familiar with.

“Have a seat, please.”

“Sure, Your Highness.” Taemin bows a little before takes a seat across Minho.

“We were going to give a call to your parents when the teacher told us not to, which led us into suspicion that you teamed up with Kim Jonghyun. It’s not your first time, Lee Taemin.”

“You don’t have a proof for that,” Taemin smiles a sickeningly sweet smile.

“Can you please cooperate with us? Your track record is bad enough to get you expelled from school –“

“I doubt that,” Taemin cuts off, still with a sweet smile on.

“You broke too many rules and your grades are bad.” Minho’s half shouting at Taemin when Jinki’s walking in and interrupting them.

“Minho, we have a scheduled discussion with the basketball team in few minutes.” Jinki politely informs him.

“Cancel that stupid discussion. Don’t you see he’s busy handling me, nerd?”

“Lee Taemin!”

“If I can’t call Choi ing Minho then you can’t call him nerd, little .” Jonghyun steps in out of nowhere. “Hi there.” Jonghyun waves to Jinki. “So I won the bet, you don’t have any meeting to attend now.”

Minho has had enough with all the s coming from the two most problematic students at school. He doesn’t care if Jonghyun is the son of the headmaster. He has him sit next to Lee Taemin and confesses. He is not letting them go before he gets what he wants. He has long given up hoping Lee Taemin would respect him so he lets the teasing pass just like that but today, he can’t take it anymore.

“Do you know how much I’m disappointed on you for failing the job of keeping him occupied for just a few hours?” Jonghyun starts. It’s obviously directed to Taemin. He can care less that the president council is in the room.

“I’m ing trying here.”

“I don’t want to be late on my first movie date with Jinki so let me end this fast. You can try to tame him for the rest of your life, Choi, but you’ll fail over and over again. Your biggest mistake is not realizing that this little has something on you –“

“ you –“ Taemin snaps at the sudden revelation.

“If you just listen to my humble advice… what do you think about trying to handle him with different method? Close your books and quit memorizing the school’s ing regulation and start socializing. I’m pretty sure you’ll find the answer you’re looking for very soon. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a date to prepare.”

“You’re not leaving your seat, Kim Jonghyun.”

“Ouch… okay.” Jonghyun holds up both hands in defeat upon hearing Minho’s intimidating tone.

“So what you mean is that Taemin purposely breaks the school’s regulation to get Minho’s attention –“

“No, no, you get it wrong Jinki. He’s still going to violate the damn rule; he just doesn’t put the necessary effort into staying out of the council’s sight.”

There is a heavy silence following because frankly, who will ever think that the secret behind all of this is that the school’s biggest rebel is falling for the head of the student’s council?

“I know you’re in shock but really, I have a date to prepare. Come on, Jinki.”

“I never say I agree going to a movie with you.”

“But I won the bet.”

“I guess you made a win-win deal with Lee Taemin because of Jinki.” Minho speaks up for the first time.

“Yes, exactly!” Jonghyun comes clean and sends a wink to Jinki.

Jinki rolls his eyes and when he looks back at Minho, he notices how Minho close his eyes and begin to rub his forehead. How much this case has given him headaches.

“I’ll go.” Jinki abruptly says. “In return, you have to stop backing up Lee Taemin from getting kicked out from school.”

“Agree.”

“ing traitor!" Taemin shouts.

 

Jonghyun lips curves into a smile all the way to their movie date. He’s satisfied that he finally succeeds on taking his crush on a date. He picks horror because as he has read, people like Jinki will be afraid of ghost. But he’s proven wrong as Jinki falls asleep like fifteen minutes into the movie. It’s okay though. It gives Jonghyun the opportunity to watch the other boy sleep. Jinki looks so peaceful and Jonghyun has the urge to kiss that damn lips. As they exit the cinema, Jonghyun tries to strike a conversation.

“I apply for the tutorial program to the council. I specifically requested you to be my tutor.” Jonghyun grins.

“Unfortunately, I’m pretty busy.” Jinki replies. “I’m surprised to know you care about your grades.”

“I do care about my grade, especially when my crush is the straight A student. Besides, I’ll find a way to make you my tutor.”

“If you’re going to use the headmaster card again, why don’t you just ask the teachers to let you pass? Isn’t it what you have been doing? Just so you know you won’t get me through the same way.”

The last thing Jinki know is that he’s being grabbed by the collar of his precious uniform and pushed to the wall, far from gently. He hisses when the pain shot his back. Jonghyun is merely an inch away from him.

“I never do that.” Jonghyun’s tone is close to threatening. “I’ve never asked them. , I can’t believe you trust that stupid rumor about me. The only thing I ever ask is for them to not call Taemin’s parents because that’s about the only thing I can do for the only person who actually cares about me.”

When he releases the poor boy, he knows he already lose his appetite for a dinner. “, I’m not even hungry anymore. Let’s just drive you home.”

“You can just go. I'll go home by myself.” Jinki says weakly, guilty for judging him.

“No. Let’s just go.” Jonghyun takes Jinki by the hand and leads the way.

The drive home is quiet. Jinki doesn’t know what to say. The other is clearly offended. He’s afraid his apology will only worsen the situation so he waits until they reach the front of his house.

“Hey, I’m sorry.”

When he hears no reply, he thinks it’s best to just get out of his car as soon as he can but Jonghyun stops him.

“Is that all?”

“Uh?” Jinki turns around and Jonghyun uses that chance to move forward and capture the pair of soft lips for a quick kiss.

“Alright, you’re forgiven.”

 

“All done,” Taemin announces once he’s done cleaning the council room for his detention. Minho looks up from his text book and finds Taemin all sweaty, his hair is in a state of mess, his white shirt in now covered with dirt here and there. Minho assumes he has a tough time with his detention this time and will reflect on it.

“Good. Now you’re free to go home.”

“What? You asked me to clean your s and wished to give me nothing in return? What about you clean me now?”

“Taemin, if you will just stop flirting with me –“

“Oh, you think I’m flirting with you now? That’s new! You’ve never mentioned it before.”

Minho sighs and rubs his temple when Taemin suddenly stands beside his chair and leans down and whispers to him, “I know you like me too, Mr. President. It’s just that you have been controlling it very well. I know you’re staring down my chest every time you catch me leaving the first two buttons of my shirt open. I notice the way you tense a little bit whenever I whisper close to your ears like this. I know I’m bad enough to get kicked out of this school but the truth is I’m still here. Not thanks to Jonghyun, but thanks to you for always convincing the headmaster that you can deal with me if he gives you more time. Jonghyun tells me everything. The only thing he has been doing for me is preventing me from being grounded at home. Now if you just admit it, we can skip to the desk ing part right in this moment.”

“Why don’t you start obliging the school’s rules first, Lee Taemin?”

 

“Wah, nice student, eh?” Jonghyun whistles when he sees Taemin coming.

“Just in front of him.” He takes off his vest and loosens his tie. “This is hot as who the invents this useless piece of crap I’m itching to choke his neck.” He whines as he throws his vest to the ground near Jonghyun. They’re sitting on the staircase that goes straight to the rooftop. According to Jonghyun, no one comes there.

“How’s thing with nerd?”

“Not that great. He fell asleep through the movie.”

Taemin snorted. “Probably his first time to movie, what movie by the way?”

“That horror stuff which is released last week. According to what I read, people like him should be the type that’s afraid with ghost. Did I read from the wrong source?”

“You should have asked his kind, hmm, like Minho. I bet he know what to choose.”

“Nah, I hate that Choi ing Minho for that, he seems to know Jinki better. Jinki likes him better too.”

“Oh , I thought you dislike him because he’s popular.”

Jonghyun rolls his eyes.

“I think he’ll be interested if you opt for a boring movie about space and satellite and meteor.”

“Stop looking down on Jinki he’s not that bad.”

“Ugh”

“Anyway, he said something about the stupid rumour about me and the teachers. I can’t believe he's buying it. I can care less if it's other people but it's him! So I lose it and hurt him. I think it was the first time he had someone grabbed him by his collar and pushed him to the wall. He was so surprised I can tell. He said sorry when we were about to part.”

“That sounds awful.” Taemin pats Jonghyun’s back. “Don’t worry, I bet he’s all guilty now.”

“I hope so.”

“So you still like him?”

“Yeah, I just learn that I can’t stay mad at him. I tricked him and got to peck him on his lips and forgave him.”

“You tasted his lips?!!!”

“Yes.”

“How does it taste? Does it taste like book and ink?”

“It’s soft. That’s all I can get. It was so quick but if I knew Jinki’s lips would feel this good on mine; I would gladly skip those stupid girls and go on him.”

“How lucky.”

“Your time will come.” Jonghyun consoles.

“I doubt that. He told me to be a good boy. I take it as a kind of sign. But this morning I purposely cross way with him and greet him and ing showing off my vest and tie and I got nothing.”

“Patience, my friend, patience.”

 

The effort continues for three days in row before Lee Taemin gives up and confronts Choi Minho in his room. Jonghyun advises him to.

“Is there anything I can help you, Lee Taemin?” Minho is startled by the sudden visit of the rebel.

“Yes. I have a problem. The head of student council asked me to follow the rules and I did. But he hasn’t given me anything in return of being a good boy so I come to claim my prize.”

“If I’m not mistaken, the rule says you have to wear proper uniform during the school period, not only at times you walk on me by intention.”

Taemin is about to explode when Minho adds, “we tend to keep a close eye to students like you and based on reports, you’re still breaking the rules.”

“So you’re stalking me all this time? Oh God, I hope your underlings are professionals who will go as far as following me to the bathroom to hear me your name while and report it to you.”

 

“Ah, there you are!” Jonghyun looks up when he sees a pair of legs just a step away from him. He finds Jinki looking down at him. He takes off his earphone and questions the latter.

“Uh, yeah?”

“I’ve been waiting for half an hour at the library to no avail so I decided to look for you. I’m afraid you haven’t received the confirmation from the council about your tutor.”

Jonghyun immediately ing both hands to his pockets, searching for the thing from the council member he hastily shoved there. He takes out the white bundle and it turns out to be an envelope. When he reads the content of the paper inside, he can’t hide his shock and almost shouts “You’re assigned to be my tutor?”

“Yes.”

“Didn’t you say you’re busy?”

“I get my schedule cleared out and accept the request. Our first session should have started half an hour ago. Most of time, on the first meeting, we will go through our schedule and find free times where both of us are available for tutoring sessions.”

Jonghyun stands up fast. “I’m free every day. Your place or mine?”

“Either one is fine.”

“Okay, mine then.” Jonghyun beams. He doesn’t give a anymore about hiding his excitement for the prospect of spending time alone with Jinki every single day.

 

Taemin walks down the hall, cursing every five seconds because he can’t find Jonghyun. He’s sweating a bucket. His hair damps with sweat. His hands itch to just loosen his tie and take off his vest but he can’t. Everyone can be Minho’s spy at this rate. He has survived this far so he thinks he can stand the last sixty minutes of school as well.

Giving up when he sees no sign of Jonghyun, he walks back to the class – he’s excusing himself to the bathroom which is obviously a lie. He sits down on his seat and tries his best not to yell at anyone as he is in a very bad mood. He lets out a heavy breath when the bell rings and hurriedly leaves the class. On his way to the school gate, Choi Minho calls him out and takes him to the parking lot. Minho makes sure no one is around before facing Taemin.

“What now?” Taemin demands. He’s beyond annoyed to deal with another warning.

But Minho surprises him by giving him one hell of a good kiss before letting go.

“Good boy.” He says as he leaves the still-in-shock Taemin alone.