Variety is Variety

Variety is Variety

(Request from Jay)

“Weekly Idol!” yelled the two hosts with the usual gesture.  You watch from the sidelines waiting for your cue.  I can’t believe I’m finally here.

“Today, we’re going to continue our program where we have not just one guest but two.  In case you don’t know, a lot of fans are very interested in how idols act around people of the opposite gender.  Therefore, the producers got together and decided that for the next two months we are going to be one girl group and one boy group coming in together.  Won’t that be interesting?”  Hyung-Don began.

“It will be.  Last week we had Beast and 4minute.  It was a very interesting show,” Defconn added in his slightly quieter voice.  “So last time there were 11 idols all together.  Today we have 12.”

There was a pause.                                              

“We’re gonna need a bigger set,” said Hyung-Don quietly.  They both looked around the set scratching their heads.  “Set director, when the producers told you about this new program, did you realize that we would have a lot of people on the set?”  The hosts motioned to the set director, behind the camera.  You glance at him as a camera turns to capture him shaking his head with a small smile and his arms crossed over his chest.

The hosts continued to complain about the small set, but you tune them out.  Your heart was racing with nervousness and your stomach started turning.  Of all the variety shows you ever dreamed of being on, this was at the top of the list.  And now, just 2 months after your debut, you were finally here.  You suppressed a small giggle of excitement.

“Anyway,” you hear.  “Today we have two more groups and we are going to get to know them a little better and let them show off their charms.  Have they even met yet?”  Defconn askes.  He looks at you, then to the other side of the stage where the other group was standing.  With all the camera, monitors and people, you couldn’t even see who they were. 

You shake your head.  With all the practice and engagements with your debut, you didn’t get to meet many other groups.  Even with those groups, they were all girls, not guys.

“Apparently not,” Hyung-Don said.  “Well, let’s bring out our guys group first.  They’ve been around a bit longer and I think they are a little bit older too.”

“Exo!”  The hosts said together.  There was applause from the hosts and the staff, but not from you.  You were so shocked and….well…star struck.  You were a huge fan of Exo and now you were on your first variety show with them.  Even though you were from the same company, you never ran into them, because you were always too focused on practicing.

You watched as the members walk onto the set politely bowing and clapping their hands.  A few of them stole glances at you.  A couple showed a little bit of shock on their face and you wondered if that was good or bad.  If you thought you were nervous before, you were much worse now.  You rub your palms on your skinny jeans, suddenly feeling hot and shaky.

“We are one!  Hello, we are Exo,” the guys called out in unison.  They bowed to the camera with their usual smiling faces and a few waves.

“Exo, thanks for coming on today.  We heard you have a very busy schedule now.”

“Yes.  We are very busy with our new comeback, Overdose, but we wanted to take the time to come back here and use this time to have some fun too.”  That was Suho.  Being the leader, he stood closest to the hosts at the head of the line.

“You’re only here to have fun?  This is work,” Hyund-Don said half-serious.  The members starting laughing, while the hosts looked very serious.  You couldn’t help, but giggle.

“You’re here to have fun, but do you know how much work this is for us?”  Defconn added.

You giggle to yourself as you watch the members laughing and looking almost embarrassed by their leader’s choice of words.

“Well, we need to get back to work now.  Now let’s bring on our second guest.  She is a solo artist from SM, who just debuted with her mini album, Dream…”

You take a few deep breaths as you wait for them to call your name.  Despite the thumping in your heart, you had to keep it together and make a good first impression.

You hear your name and some applause.  You walk on to set, now fully calm and in the sassy state of mind your imagine required.  You bow and wave to the camera, smiling the smile that took your hours to get down.  You then look at the hosts and Exo and bow politely.  The members didn’t try to hide their shocked faces as you walk up to the hosts and shake their hands.

“Why don’t you introduce yourself to the audience, properly?”  Defconn suggested.  You turn to the camera that had your name written above it.  You introduce yourself cutely, followed by a wink.

“I think I like your greeting better than theirs,” Hyung-Don, not to quietly, said.  You laugh and see Exo laughing along.

“So we have one bright cute girl and 11 single guys.  I wonder if this will lead to anything?”

You hide your face in embarrassment.  Not that you wouldn’t mind being with any one of the members, you had no time for a boyfriend.

“Do you think you could fall for any of these guys?”  Defconn asked.  He stood close to you and looked over the guys in a judging way. 

You shrug.  “I don’t know.  Maybe, but I don’t have time for a boyfriend now.”

“Have you ever met them before?”  You shake your head.

Hyung-Don leans over to Suho.  “Do you think you guys could fall for her?”

Suho smiled and rubbed his neck.  He looked down the line of members.  “I think it’s a possibility.  She seems really nice and she’s very cute.” 

The hosts covered their mouths in shock.  “Omo!”  You feel your cheeks turning, as you bow.  “Thank you.”  You hear a voice from further down the line speak up.

“Are you sure you didn’t just make this programs so you two could play matchmaker?”  It was Chanyeol, towering over the other members.

The hosts shook their heads seriously.  “No.”

There was an awkward silence followed by a chorus of laughter from Exo.  You stood there loving every minute of this embarrassingly awkward situation, glad that you had the opportunity to be a little silly.

After some more talking and more laughter, the show moves into another segment called “Change your Profile.”  You sit to the hosts right, while Exo was across from you.

“Well, ladies first,” said Defconn.  A cardboard display of one of your album pictures along with your information stood on an easel between the hosts.  After a few minor details, like your name and birthdate, the hosts ask you about your talents.

“You can do boy group dances?”  You nod.  “Normally, we try to get guys to do girl group dances, but you can do guy group dances?”

“Yes.  One day in the studio, I was warming up before practice and I was dancing to BAP’s One Shot.  I knew all the moves, so I was dancing the right chorography.  Well, my manager saw me and said that I had the same charisma as BAP and I made the dance look easy.”

There were a few “whoas” from Exo and the hosts. 

“Can you do any of our songs?”  Luhan asked.  You got a little embarrassed as he looked at you with a cute, interested look.  The other members looked at you expectantly.

“Yes.  I know Wolf and Mama,” you say quietly.

“Seriously?”  You heard a couple of them say.

“How about you show us?” asked Defconn.

“No, we should watch Kai do it first, then watch her do it,” Baekhyun offered.

“Oh I’m not as good as Kai,” you said, waving your hands back and forth.  You see Kai smile cutely at the ground.

“Come on let’s see,” said Hyung-Don.  You see Luhan pushing Kai off his seat.  He got up reluctantly and walked to the center.

When the music for Wolf started, you saw the charisma Kai was so famous for.  Your heart fluttered in your chest, as he flowed through the moves smoothy.  Then the music changed to Mama and he didn’t miss a beat as he changed moves.  There was no way you could do better than that, but you decided to have some fun.

When he finished, he shyly went back to his seat.  “Do you think you can do better than that?”  The host asked you.

“Of course,” you say sarcastically.  You stand up and put on an exaggerated arrogant look.  There were some “ohhhs” from Exo as if there was about to be a fight.  You stand in the middle and wait for the music.  When you hear the first beat, you put on a y look and perform the moves, but you add your own little y touches.

You ignore the cries of surprise and keep staring at the camera with a soft, but y glare.  When the song changes, you miss the first move, but hit the next one stronger and finish out smoothly.  You glance back at Kai and give him a wink before returning to your seat.  Kai sat there with his jaw hanging open and a slight hint of pink in his cheeks.  Your inner self giggled like a fangirl.

“Kai, Eliminated,” called out the hosts.  Defconn takes your hand and holds it up in the air.  “Winner!”  You smile and give a little curtsey.

“Moving on,” they continue, after you take your seat.  “It says here that you can speak 4 languages.  What do you speak?”

“I can speak Korean, Japanese, Mandarin and English.”

“Say a little of each.”

You introduce yourself in each language, earning an impromptu conversation with Yixing, Luhan and Tao in Mandarin.  You had seen each of them perk up when you said you spoke their language.

“Okay, okay,” interrupted the hosts.  “We don’t need you all to be flirting in Mandarin.”  You cover your mouth, laughing.  All you had been saying was a simple greeting, but the idea of you flirting with them was embarrassing.

The rest of the show went by way too fast and before you knew it, the hosts were wrapping up.

“So we had a fun time today with our guests, we learned a lot about them and I think we may have discovered some love connections.”  Some of the members turned away slightly, not wanting to look at the hosts.

“So in the beginning of the show, we asked Suho if he thought any of the members could fall for our lovely solo artist.  Well, has anyone fallen for her?”  You look at the members, not knowing what to expect.

You see four hands.  Kai, Yixing, Luhan and Tao.  You feel yourself turn bright red as you turn away and cover your face.  You couldn’t help, but feel giddy and start fangirling.

You hear the hosts saying things like, “Oh isn’t she cute” and “Aw she’s embarrassed.  “Well, after the cameras are off these five are going to be exchanging contact information and setting up private dates, so be on the lookout for the latest coverage of the love pentagon.”

You turn back around at that announcement.  You see the four guys turning pink and you are too speechless to deny the claim.  Though, you didn’t mind if it was true.

“See you next week on Weekly Idol!”