Taken

Paper Heart

She shuffled beneath the sheets, turning here and there, but even after numerous attempts to just close her eyes and go to the dream world she’s been wanting to go to for hours, she couldn’t. ‘Stupid Jessica, stupid headline.’ she mumbled, cursing every single detail about the President’s daughter.

 

Some would say she’s overreacting too much, why even bother to think about someone who wasn’t affiliated with you to begin with. She wasn’t just fed up about the news, but she was fed up on her whole human being, from the way Jessica walks, to the way she talks, there’s nothing wrong with it though, but to her something was worth hating.

 

“Sleeping isn’t my best friend today.”

 

She swept up her feet and went on straight onto the kitchen, thinking maybe a cup of warm milk would bring her mind to a halt from thinking about Jessica over and over again. She unclasped the cap and poured some down to the stainless glass.

 

There are some days that are far better than this one, she has a test to prepare for and having sleepless nights wouldn’t help her in acing any subject. Once she finished it up, cleaning the glass would be the next thing she’d do but a knock was hear throughout the apartment. She took a peek at the clock and it read 2, she didn’t know if she would be disappointed because she hasn’t had her sleep yet or irritated because who in the right mind would be at visiting at this time of day.

 

She picked up her pace, the knocking just kept going and when she reached the door to open it up, it revealed the person she thought about the most, clad in pajamas having a phone in her hand that displayed her manicured nails.

She didn’t know what to think of the situation, so her words couldn’t come out at all.

 

“You’re Stephanie right?” she shyly asked, more like she was intimidated by Tiffany’s cold hard gaze at her.

“Yes, yes I am. It’s 2oclock in the morning, and I don’t think you should be wandering out the dorms, shouldn’t you be at the bar kissing someone or so?”

 

When the statement was said, Tiffany immediately regretted it.  She bit her tongue, because of the words she relentlessly spat out.

Jessica froze, this was what everyone was saying, but the fact that it was told directly to her with no hesitation made her heart clench, she did something she wasn’t proud of and shoving it into her face was the worst feeling she encountered, she could do nothing but look down, holding back her tears before speaking again, “Can I stay here?” she proposed, her tone not having a single cent of pride, partly because she doesn’t have it at the moment.

 

Tiffany didn’t know what to say or do. To start off with, she didn’t know why out of all the doors, Jessica knocked on the Sooyoung’s. Secondly, this wasn’t her apartment, so it wasn’t her choice to let someone in, even if it were an important person.

 

There it goes again, Tiffany remembered that if the girl in front of her wasn’t someone inheriting a high social status then she should’ve shoved her off, but since she was, her mind was compensating whether to let her in or not.

 

She then snapped, and the wave of anger blew in her voice, “No. You have thousands of dollars, there’s a nearby hotel somewhere in that direction, I’m sure they could book a room to a VIP.” Tiffany scoffed before immediately slamming the door shut, not hearing another word from the blonde.

 

She did the right thing didn’t she? Tiffany was teaching Jessica to be independent for once, to show her that she’s not a princess that could get anything she wanted. She was in the good side, but why does she feels as if she’s not?

 

Taking a good look back at the wooden door, wondering if the girl was still there. She made a deal with herself, if Jessica was still there then she’ll let her in and hoped Sooyoung would just understand, but if the girl left then she doesn’t need to worry about a thing.

 

She pried open the door,

And Jessica was still there, hugging her knees as she tries her best to sleep.

--

Tiffany feels as if she forgot what sleep means, because clearly it was foreign now a days. After the incident where Jessica randomly dropped over at the dorm, she’d be doing it every day, and Tiffany has no clue on why. She’d want to go straight to the Jung’s home and ask why they’d let their daughter lounge around and not even worry about where she sleeps at night, or what she eats or do. Jessica’s routine in Tiffany’s eyes were to wake up, leave the dorm, when it reaches midnight, the door would creak open, Jessica would make her way to the spacious bed beside Tiffany’s and that was it.

 

Sooyoung’s not bothered by a bit, Jessica had no harm done, she wasn’t paying anything for Jessica nor doing anything for her either, it’s like the girl wasn’t there, so it wasn’t a problem at all. At first she was quite confused and startled when the Jessica Jung was in her apartment but after Tiffany’s explanation she slowly started to get used to it.

 

For the week, there wasn’t a single conversation between her and Jessica, Tiffany wanted to apologize somehow, for the words she carelessly said before, and she then realized that maybe, just maybe the girl was kicked out of their house, which made her extremely guilty.

 

“Hey, is there something bothering you? Or are you picturing some hot guys again?”

 

Tiffany snapped out of her trance and gave out a light chuckle, she was with the group of hers and as a student wanting to pass they were in the library studying, hoping everything they read would be remembered.

 

Hyoyeon took Tiffany’s notes to write something in the notepad which read “I think it was the second one?” She laughed lightly at her friends’ tactics and wrote “maybe” as a witty response which amused the oblivious blonde.

 

“Tiffany, I don’t get how you still haven’t had a single boyfriend in your whole life. We’re in college, and you’re still raw.”

“Hey! I’m still waiting for the perfect man you know.”

“Perfect man.” Taeyeon repeated which followed a snort, “Well, what is your definition of a “Perfect man”?”

 

Tiffany paused, to think of it, she doesn’t know. Love was something that she hasn’t felt before, she doesn’t understand why her friends would be depressed like their life was on the line if they broke up with their lovers, she doesn’t understand why they need to kiss each other every passing minute, and most importantly, she doesn’t understand the saying that you’ll get butterflies in your stomach and your heart would jump and beat abnormally. Wasn’t it not normal? Maybe it wasn’t love, but maybe you had a heart disease? She didn’t quite understand it yet.

“Someone who loves me back, I guess?”

--

As the hours go by, book after book, they finally bid their goodbyes. Unfortunately, well for tiffany it was unfortunate, Sooyoung had to go and visit her mother in Jeju, it was their family reunion and she couldn’t afford to not attend, after all she hasn’t seen them for years because of her studies, so she wouldn’t be present in the apartment for the next three days, one day for the said event and the extra two days for the bonding times she missed. Tiffany only knew when she got to the dorm and there was a note that said her reasons.

 

She plopped herself onto the bed, this was the time that she’ll close her eyes, just to find herself not sleeping but thinking about things that shouldn’t be thought about. Like, the one and only Jessica Jung.

 

But this day was different, she went to the couch, the one opposite towards the door, crossed her legs, waiting for it to open and reveal the girl she’s been wanting to talk to.

 

20 minutes, turned to 30 minutes that eventually became an hour.  

“When is she—“

The door finally swung open and Jessica went straight to the room and into her bed, stuffing her face on a pillow while removing her shoes by the use of her feet managing to take them off.

 

Tiffany could only watch the blonde who wasn’t moving, but only making a sound.
 

Jessica was crying.

 

She was sure of it, for her 17 years of living she was dead sure that, she’s sobbing.

 

And now Tiffany feels worse.

 

She dragged herself towards the room and quietly approached the bed beside hers, her blonde hair was the only thing visible, and her porcelain face was all hidden. Tiffany didn’t know how to comfort her, she just sat on her own bed, staring at Jessica, and when she finally decided to move, She gently and lightly flipped Jessica over, which the girl didn’t mind,  and gave her a big warm embrace.

Jessica nuzzled her face to Tiffany’s neck and tears started to flow.

 

For the first time, Tiffany didn’t mind her shirt was drenched by Jessica, the person she envied the most.

 

--

When Jessica finally calmed down and was fast asleep on tiffany’s shoulder, she ever so lightly placed Jessica on the bed, covering her with a blanket and as well as give her a fluffy pillow to hug while enjoying her slumber.

 

Tiffany could only stare, she wondered what happened, all she knew was Jessica was broken and mentally hurt. She mumbled a few things, but Tiffany couldn’t manage to grasp what she was saying at all.

 

“I don’t know why you’re like this and I don’t like it when you are.”

Seeing Jessica in her normal state was irritating, but seeing Jessica in a broken state was far much worse, her heart was tearing bit by bit without her knowing. With a phone on hand, she swiftly opened it up and analyzed the current news entries of today.

And there it was, the answer to her question.


“Jung Jessica, disowned by parents after causing a conflict at the ceremony that welcomed the new governors who had just won the elections.”

 

---

The sun shone over Tiffany’s face and the sound of the alarm clock was giving out the signal that she should wake up already, in which she unwillingly did. Kicking the sheets off of her and peering to her left to check if Jessica left already in which she always did.

 

Jessica wasn’t in her bed alright, but was in Tiffany’s. The brunette was startled and wondered why the girl crawled to her bed. She buried her face on Tiffany’s neck and was snoring lightly that made Tiffany smile a bit.  

 

She turned to face the blonde, and automatically frowned once she saw her eyes that once opened would be swollen and in the shade of red. Her hand unknowingly brushed over Jessica’s forehead, and startled by its temperature, she immediately retracted it.

 

Jessica was sick.

 

She couldn’t simply leave her alone in the dorm, not when she just found out that Jessica was probably in her worst peak of her life at the moment and not when she’s having a fever that won’t help in her coping the problems she’s facing.

 

“I can’t believe I’m skipping class because of a Jung. You’re one lucky chic.” She chuckled before Jessica suddenly clutched on the blankets, “Cold.” She murmured over and over again.  Tiffany’s eyes softened, she had no clue on how to take care of someone, partly because everyone takes care of her, not the other way around. Tiffany leaned and steadily asked, “You’re cold?”

 

Jessica just nodded, shivering a little, still hugging the blanket. Tiffany sighed and s her arms around the girls waist, letting jessica envelop the warmth she needed to shook of the uncomfortable feeling.

 

When the girl was yet again visiting her land of dreams, Tiffany managed to stand up and went straight to the kitchen, but before she could even touch a single utensil, a note was what caught her eye first.

 

“Tiffany, for the love of God please don't cook, the last thing I'd want to come home to, is a burnt kitchen.”

 

She suddenly remembered that she couldn't cook anything else besides eggs that would always turn out to be raw or burnt.

 

Jessica needed soup, or that's what she assumed she needed, either way Tiffany hurriedly dialed the number on the phone and called the restaurant down the street, ordering a chicken soup for Jessica and a normal burger for herself.

 

Returning back to the blonde, she was shivering again, but this time mumbling 'Stephanie' in the process. When Tiffany noticed, without second thoughts, she laid down the bed and positioned herself just like before.

 

--

"Ahh." She motioned and made agape so that Jessica would imitate. The older of the two insisted that she could eat it on her own but Tiffany refused and made her sickness as an excuse. Jessica could do nothing but to let Tiffany feed her. Each spoonful was surprisingly delicious, she didn't know if it was because the chef was an expert or because Tiffany was feeding her.

 

When the bowl had nothing left, this was the perfect time to talk to Jessica, "Jessica, I've read the headli--" but before she could finish she noticed Jessica’s change of emotion and that was her signal to stop. She concluded it was real and shouldn't be pried further.

 

All of Tiffany's grudges deflated each passing hour. Jessica wasn’t so bad after all, when she wasn’t in one of those fancy dresses, branded shoes and holding designer bags, she’s like everybody else. Tiffany learned that Jessica loves it when someone hugs her from behind, when someone fixes her fringe, and when someone holds her hand the way she wants it to be. She was very open about her ideal type, but Tiffany had no clue on what her own ideal type was.


When Tiffany was easily distracted by a movie she badly wanted to watch, Jessica took this as a chance to sneak out of the apartment to run errands that wouldn’t take long to finish, “I’m going out for a bit, I’ll be back at noon.” Jessica said before slipping into her sneakers, but before she could touch the doorknob tiffany suddenly went in front of the door to refrain the blonde from going out.

 

“No. No. and No. You stay in your bed, you’re not going anywhere.” Tiffany commanded pointing the lonesome bed at the corner.

“But-“

“No buts, in bed. Now.”  She demanded, Jessica was about to retort but there was no use anyways, so she didn’t. With a huff, she returned back to the place she’s been lounging since morning came, and Tiffany followed her. “Aren’t you going to finish the movie? It’s one of those once chance things, right? Since they won’t release it in the theaters anymore.” Jessica asked pushing Tiffany softly to go the living room.

 

“Nah, I think I should just watch over you, besides, they’ll release dvd copies, I could just buy one.” Tiffany said while checking Jessica’s temperature. “Wow, you’re fevers going down.”

 

“Tiffany.”

“Yeah?”

“Nevermind.”

 

Jessica knows Tiffany lied just to take care of her.

--

“Tiffany, have you hear the rumor going around? Is it true? Don’t tell me it’s true?” Yuri immediately bombarded her with questions as soon as she set foot on the classroom. She doesn’t even know what Yuri was talking about, “what rumor?”

“You and Siwon dating?” Sunny beamed while teasingly poking the victim of the rumors. And before she knew it, her group of friends were already surrounding her.

“You’d really think that Siwon would like—

“Tiffany!”

Hearing the unfamiliar voice, she turned around and saw the one she was being paired with holding a box of chocolates and a bouquet of roses. Siwon was exactly like Jessica. Wealthy and has the looks. “Hey, uhm, I know this is unexpected, but accept my gifts?” He sheepishly smiled, and Tiffany looked baffled while taking a look at her friends who seem to be more excited than her.

“Oh, yeah, Thanks I guess?” Tiffany said, it wasn’t the first time she’d receive gifts from the opposite , usually, after giving the gifts, he’ll ask her out on a date, which Tiffany would agree, but after the date she realizes that it was one of the worst nights she had, so cutting connections with the guy was the thing she’d always do.

 

“Well, would you, go and have dinner with me at 8?”

--

She agreed to the date, there was no harm anyways, and after another round of classes she was dead tired, she carelessly slumped herself on one of the chairs of the café, Yuri was with her, who was also drained, a cup of coffee would be best for them. “Hey, so, I’ve heard you’ve been living with the Jessica Jung?”

Tiffany furrowed her eyes, she doesn’t like it if they added “the” before the name, “Take away the “the” and yep.”

“Why take away the “the”? She’s worth having the “the”.  Anyways, well?”

“Well what?”

“How is it having a princess scampering throughout the apartment? And there’s news that you aren’t so very fond of this Jung.”

There it goes, she was feeling guilty again. “First of all, I realized she isn’t that bad, and secondly she has a soft side somewhere.” Tiffany smiled as she recalled some of the short conversations she had with the blonde.

“Whatever you say, so, do you think Siwon— Wait, isn’t that Jessica?”

Tiffany bobbed her head to the right, and there was Jessica peering over some clothes and sunglasses at one of the stalls. She then furrowed her eyebrows, she remember specifically stating to Jessica to not leave the dorm because her fever might go back.

“I got to go.”

“We haven’t even had co—oh who am I kidding.”

--

“Yah. Jung.”

Jessica knew the voice and was caught like a deer in the headlights. When she turned around she saw Tiffany cross armed, sending out a glare.

“I can exp—“

--

There they were again, like yesterday.

 

Tiffany on her bed, and Jessica on her own. Jessica sulking because her little escape made her a little sick again, and Tiffany disappointed because Jessica broke her promise.

 

It wasn’t her to blame though. The apartment had no one, and Tiffany was the only person she’d actually talk to. Despite their not so friendly meeting, she understood tiffany for being that way. It wasn’t like tiffany was the only one who said that to her.

 

Even though it was all over the news, papers, radio, there was a little part of her that didn’t care anymore. She was tired of it already, her surname was already partly gone, yet again people’s whisper going all over, the news would probably die down in a month once another rumor comes up, that’s far more interesting. But even so, it doesn’t change the fact that she had no one except, Tiffany.

 

But to think of it, she had no one in the first place.

 

Her parents were never there, unless the press was there too.

She never had a sister or brother that would at least care for her.

 

But at least once her life she thought she had someone, the so called boyfriend she had back in high school. I love you, he said. I won’t leave you, he promised. But promises are meant to be broken.

She’ll never love again, that’s for sure.

 

“Jessica, I have a question. When we first met, why did you knock on Sooyoung’s door? Why didn’t you knock at another door?”

“Oh, that. I made up a random number in my head, and I first thought of 220, and this door’s number is 220, so I thought it was fate.”

Before they could continue their little chat, Knocking was then heard, Jessica was supposed to get it, but she was already beaten by Tiffany.

When she opened the door it revealed a man wearing a fine suit, he was prepped that’s for sure.

“Excuse me but is Jessica here?”

“Who are you?”

“Her boyfriend.”


And that’s when Tiffany makes a mental note that the President’s daughter has a boyfriend.

 

----

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Am I the only one who thinks that this has a one-shot feel to it because of my writing style? ;A; I’ll change it on the next chapter, because This chapter would be waste if I’d re-write it. ><
Oh, and if some of you didn’t get the “Jessica knows Tiffany lied just to take care of her. “ it means that Tiffany lied about the movie having dvd copies. :3

Remember what I said on the foreword? That I’ll write in Tiffany’s view? Yeah, screw that, I’ll write on Jessica’s side too. ouo

And! shamelessly advertising here, I just made a one-shot collection: JeTi Cracks and Fluff :D
Check it out if you have time~


EDIT: BTW. I just read it and I noticed the errors, It's fixed already, sorry about that. ;A;