U-Know Yunho

A Bullet Through My Brain

ABTMB CHAPTER 4

 

 

Don’t talk to me in public.

 

Why shouldn’t I?

 

You know why.

 

Of course, but it doesn’t mean I can’t tease you with it.

 

Shut up.

 

No.

 

I hate you.

 

But you don’t. You can’t. It’s as simple as that.

 

 

Ignoring me?

 

Yunho closed his cell phone when he saw the beauty of his life making his way to the little café they decided to meet at. Feeling a headache coming up, he massaged his temples before he plastered a smile on his face to greet his fiancé.

 

“Beautiful day isn’t it, love?”

 

“Wonderful”, replied Jaejoong with a slight peck on Yunho’s cheek before sitting on his chair, but not without remarking how tense his tall lover became with that small gesture.

 

“I-I... Yunho, is there something wrong?” inquired the raven after a moment of silence from both of them.

 

“... No, why?” hesitantly said the tan man while taking a sip of his coffee.

 

“It’s just that you feel... distant.”

 

“I’m not. What makes you say this?”

 

“The phone calls.”

 

“What about them?”

 

“Who are you calling? Or more precisely; for what reason?” Jaejoong finally went straight to the point, uncaring about his blunt questions.

 

“It’s... a friend. He recently moved away and has... difficulty adapting to the new environment he is in.”

 

“Mind telling me his name?”

 

“... It’s not your business.”

 

“YUNHO! IT IS, WHEN IT CONCERNS YOU!” Jaejoong suddenly stood up from his chair, turning all the attention of the café on them. With a glare, he made all the people around them to turn their stares away. He quickly recomposed himself and sat down in a thud, boiling from anger inside.

 

“Tell me, Yun-ah. I feel horrible already—please, just tell me”, pleaded the raven while taking a chance to hold the callous hand of his lover, but the man immediately retreated and stood up. With a quick glance, Yunho saw how bad the situation was degrading into, but he still left in a hurry leaving for the nth time his future wife alone.

 

All that because of the calls.

 

-----

 

Stop haunting me.

 

Try as you might, he’ll be mine in the end.

 

He won’t.

 

Tsk, you’ll see.

 

Yunho dropped his hand that was clutching on the phone; his knuckles white from the death grip.

 

People looked at him weirdly, but for now he could care less about how others viewed him. He

muttered under his breath:

 

“Jaejoong is mine. Mine.”

 

No.

 

-----

 

Today was a special day; it would officially mark their third year together as a couple. It was exactly three years after their first meeting on that disastrous first date and so, Jaejoong intended it to be a surprise for Yunho as he went over his lover’s working place to deliver a special homemade lunch.

 

Yes, it was a surprise.

 

But for Jaejoong, that is.

 

Never the raven could have imagined that he would arrive right in a conversation between Yunho and the anonymous caller he came to despise—that’s at least what he inferred from what he heard behind the closed door of his fiancé’s office.

 

--times do I have to repeat myself?! Leave me alone.

 

-

 

I want to hate you so much, but I can’t...

 

-

 

Listen, I can’t do anything else. I’m stuck; we’re stuck. It was our mistake. Jaejoong was a mistake--

 

Jaejoong breath hitched when he heard the confession. Everything suddenly made sense. The calls, the obvious gap they created between themselves, the tense reactions from slight touches... Everything.

 

He was a mistake.

 

That’s all he needed to know. The raven felt tears threatening to fall from his doe eyes, and stumbling out from the building, a hand over his mouth, he ran away. He ran away from the sadness, from the truth, from the man he loved with his whole being.

 

Back in his office, oblivious to his fiancé’s heartbreak, Yunho tried to reason his interlocutor.

 

-

 

It’s useless, I tell you.

 

-

 

U-Know-ah... We can’t continue like this anymore.

 

-----

 

Yunho came home to an apartment bathing in the darkness of the night.

 

Something was wrong. Jaejoong would always be there to greet him or when he wasn’t, the raven would leave a note to say that he would be late. But today; nothing.

 

“Jaejoong?” Yunho put down his suitcase on the dining table, searching for his fiancé.

 

“Love, where are you?” reaching for the light, Yunho switched it open. Their small loving nest was now brightly lit, but the atmosphere was not warmed up by the action, neither did it helped

Yunho decipher what was going on. The tall man then moved on to his and Jae’s bedroom, making his steps ever so soft until he pushed open their room’s door.

 

What he saw then, was his ticket to hell.

 

-----

 

Nothing.

 

Well, apart from a post-it, there was nothing.

 

Where was Jaejoong?

 

He willed his legs to their bed that dipped under his weight. He fetched the small paper and carefully read the words on it.

 

I love you, but you don’t love me. It’s sad, but it’s the truth. Don’t search for me; I’ll be fine. Be happy, okay?

 

-Jae

 

PS: You can reheat the meal I prepared for today. Happy third year together.

 

“.”

 

indeed.

 

-----

 

“MIN! OPEN THE DOOR!” Yunho yelled at the top of his lung while banging unto Changmin’s door.

 

“... Hyung, shut up” the younger man then said to his hyung, at the other side of the door.

“Min, please open; you have to help me out!” pleaded Yunho, his voice trembling from panic. He then heard a sigh and a muffled conversation on the other side of the wooden door.

 

“Min... He’s there, isn’t it? Jae’s there, right?”

 

“...”

 

“CHANGMIN!”

 

“Hyung, off”

 

“NO!”

 

“Hyung, you’re an idiot. YOU!”

 

“Min... Jae...”

 

“GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK!”

 

What else could he do? Forcing his way into the apartment and make Jaejoong and that lovely dongsaeng of his madder at him? No way.

 

With slumped shoulders and dragging feet, he left while carrying a heavy heart and a burdened soul. Tears are not enough to explain the pain he was through.

 

Jaejoong’s pain should be worse.

 

-----

 

One week.

 

For that whole time, Yunho did nothing else but wait for a chance to speak to his love, waiting until dawn on the small street that faced Changmin’s apartment.

 

Stalker? Yeah, pretty much.

 

But then again, he thought of going back to work and deal with everything –Jaejoong--when he would be given the chance, but he was never able to concentrate and it all end up with him waiting outside the apartment complex for the raven to come out. Anyway, it wasn’t as if he didn’t try to call his dongsaeng’s number or Jae’s; he did, but ended up talking to the “leave a message after the beep--” voice.  He was a hopeless case.

 

And once again, Yunho found himself wandering on that same street, looking up at Changmin’s small window, for what seemed like an eternity.

 

“Jae... I love you”, he said for the nth time, his light orbs seeking the preciousness of his lover’s figure in that small window.

 

Let me come back, and I’ll make him yours again.

 

Yunho fished out his cell phone and urgently opened it while pressing the device to his ears.

 

you. You’ll make him yours; not mine.

 

Touché.

 

Shut up.

 

Yunho then firmly shut the phone and walked away from the street.

 

-----

 

Two weeks.

 

Yunho was now becoming a living corpse and it wasn’t pretty at all.

 

At least, that’s what Changmin noted from his window, watching Yunho’s misery behind his

curtains.

 

For some reason, he felt guilty.

 

“Min, what are you doing? Dinner’s ready”, Jaejoong called the young man from the small kitchen.

 

“O-Okay hyung!” A bit startled, he freed himself from his hideout of the outside world and went over to Jaejoong without a sound.

 

“You’re awfully quiet, Minnie”, softly accused the raven after a moment of silence.

 

“I-I... I think... Okay, no, this is stupid”, stammered the younger man who immediately shoved a mouthful of food in his mouth to keep himself from talking.

 

“Min, out with it”, ordered Jaejoong, putting down his chopsticks and eyeing his friend suspiciously.

 

“...” gulping nervously, Changmin squirmed on his seat until he felt the glares that fell on him,

 

”Fine, okay. I-I just think you should... maybe, but no it’s so stupid of me to—“

 

“Changmin”, Jaejoong seethed dangerously.

 

“YoushouldtalkitoutwithYunho”, he blurted in one breath, but immediately rephrased it when he perceived the cold stare that his hyung was giving him, “Uh... You should talk to Yunh--”

 

“No.”

 

“Really, hyung you should—“

 

“I said no”, Jaejoong then stood and walked away from the table, leaving Changmin all alone with the food.

 

“... I knew it was too straight forward”, the tall boy sighed but soon picked up his chopsticks and dig in his plate, “Pfft, anyway, I’m a genius matchmaker; I’ll just have to make it work again.”

 

-----

 

Three weeks.

 

“Jae... My lovely Jae...” Yunho kept repeating, staring blankly at his ceiling while lying down on his bed. Another day without his love by his side; it was unbearable. If he didn’t know better, he would have thought that Jaejoong was messing around with him, with his feeling, with his heart, with his mind; with his everything.

 

“I need you... my love, my everything”, and with that sentence, Yunho slowly slipped away in the dark abyss of his mind.

 

Jae.

 

-----

 

A soft knock on Changmin’s apartment door was heard.

 

“...Hyung, is that you?” Changmin asked behind his door in a whisper, trying to keep the other’s identity from Jaejoong who was in the living room.

 

“Yeah it’s me, Kangmin”, the man in sunglasses and leather jacket replied in a casual tone.

 

“Gosh hyung! It’s not even funny; I’m Changmin. Get that in that puny brain of yours!” The younger boy replied with irritation. He slightly opened the door, and quietly let the man inside.

 

“O-Oh... Sorry. Jae’s there?” The tanned man immediately asked in a whisper.

 

“Yeah, of course. I-I’m still not sure about this, but I think I should let you two sort things out. I still can’t forgive you for making Jae-hyung cry... but you’ve got a reason, right?” Changmin saw his interlocutor nod slightly, “Anyway, please fix everything. I’m kind of tired to see Jae-hyung mop around my apartment. Well I can’t really complain because I get to have free meals from him—okay, that’s not the point. Just make everything better. I’ll leave you two alone, bye”, the tall boy quickly tied his shoes and went out in silence, trusting the other to fix everything there was to fix.

 

The man took that as his cue to step inside the apartment and walked in to find the raven on the couch of the small living room. Taking off his sunglasses, he said amusedly to the beauty who was staring at him:

 

“Well, well, well... Long time no see, beautiful.”

 

Deep dark onyx orbs fell into the pair of doe eyes that widened in fear.

 

“U-Know.”

 

-----

 

“... It’s been three hours. It should be enough, right?” Changmin wondered while eating his vanilla ice-cream “Let’s get going”, he shoved the whole cone in his mouth and while munching it he thought, If they are still talking, I’m gonna kick their sorry until they don’t have any complains. Yup, good plan, and proceeded to get back to his apartment.

 

-----

 

Along the way, the atmosphere was noisier than what was considered normal. Stopping next to two of his old ladies neighbors, he invited himself into their conversation and inquired curiously:

 

“Good evening ahjummas. I was just wondering what all this noise is. Oh, and there’s even some police cars?  What’s going on? Oh gosh, don’t tell me it’s an accident! And next to the apartment—” he was interrupted by the ladies’ gossips.

 

“Oh, young man, don’t tell me you don’t know! It is actually more terrifying than that!” quickly said one of the ladies.

 

“Lord, it is said to be a murder. A murder, you hear! And along with a suicide at that... Bless the innocent soul”, immediately added the other gossiper.

 

“Horrifying as it is, it all happened between the walls of our very own apartment complex! Young people these days are so cruel...”

 

Changmin’s eyes widened in surprise as he heard her.  “It’s horrible. Where did it happen?” he asked for further information.

 

“I think I heard it was in the 500... 505? Yes, 505’s room. I believe it’s somewhere near yours isn’t it? Yours was 504, or was it 512? I think—”

 

“505, it’s mine.”

 

Pale as death, the tall boy ran off to his apartment.

 

, what happened?!

 

-----

 

“ !! LET ME PASS!” Changmin hollered at the policemen that were trying to calm him down.

 

“Sir, we’re very sorry, but you can’t pass. You should let professional do their—” the man in uniform replied, but was soon shaken off by Changmin who shoved him out of the way.

 

“ YOU ALL!” the young man screamed at everyone that was chasing after him.

 

As if I would let them catch me.

 

He ran at top speed and took the emergency staircase to avoid any of them. Speeding up to his floor, he was still overwhelmed by what he just heard from the ladies.

 

“It is said to be a murder. A murder, you hear! And along with a suicide at that...”

 

“! I refuse to believe it!” he finally arrived on the fifth floor, panting as hell but didn’t take the time to catch his breath and walked to his door. He saw some people in his apartment. They were talking about something.

 

“—such a pity. Both of them weren’t even that old. How could it happen? Such a mystery...”

 

What are they talking about? It can’t be...

 

“Hey, you! What are you doing here?! No civil are supposed to be—” One of the man shouted at him when he saw him.

 

Changmin shoved the man out of his way like how he did previously with the policemen before the apartment complex’s doors.

 

He slowly made his way into his room.

 

How could his own home feel so foreign to him? He walked inside and stepped into his living room.

 

Yes, his living room.

 

But was it always painted in this deep crimson color?

 

Was it this tainted by violence before?

 

Has it always been the last ground for the two corpses of his most cherished friends?

 

No.

                                                                     

He fell to the ground.

 

“This is... no. Impossible. Hyung, stop joking around. It’s... not funny. Come on. Hyung, wake up, don’t be like this. Hyung—” Strong pair of arms took him by the shoulders and braced him with force.

 

“Boy, listen. You have to get out of here. Now”, and without complaint, he let himself be dragged out lifelessly, but all suddenly, Changmin caught the sight of something. He struggled to have a better view, but was evidently forced out of his apartment by the policemen who were trying with all their might to get him out of their way of work.

 

Fortunately, the tall boy could grasp the sight he wanted to see.

 

Jaejoong left a dying message with his own blood for the world to see.

 

U-Know Yunho

 

-----

 

After that horrifying event, everything else was a blur for Changmin who was suddenly pulled into the investigation for these two suspicious deaths in his apartment. Of course, he was as confused as everyone else about the matter, and still shaken by his friends’ murder and suicide, he was more of a bother than a help to the policemen. It goes without saying that he was soon kicked out from the police station, drained and lifeless by the time he let the terrible fact of his hyung’s death sunk in his mind. Letting his footsteps lead the way, he blindly walked on to anywhere— anywhere but his apartment.

 

For some reason, he unconsciously ended up walking to the hospital where his two hyungs had been driven off. Realizing his destination, he was suddenly filled with a spark of obsession toward the message.

 

U-Know Yunho

 

He had to find out what Jaejoong wanted to say by that bloody message.

 

He had to.

 

He soon ran into the sterilized building and began probing for a doctor or a nurse or anyone, really, who could help him find the truth. Brown hair caught his eyes and he immediately recognized the stupid brownish head of his friend Yoochun in a white coat.

 

Oh, why did I forget that he was a doctor here? Stupid me.

 

Walking rapidly toward the figure, he shouted his friend’s name:

 

“Yah, Yoochun-hyung!” and the said man turned his face toward him. To his surprise (or not)

Changmin was appalled to see the painful expression in the doctor’s dark eyes and all too suddenly, he knew what was wrong.

 

“Min, Jae is... He is—”Yoochun tried to convey the news in broken sentence, holding up the tears that were sure to fall.

 

“Hyung, I know...” Changmin tried to remain strong, not willing to spill any tears until he could comprehend everything clearly. It had no sense. He just couldn’t accept it.

 

“I-I... How could that happen? Jae was so kind and he was the definition of beauty itself; in and out. This is... No. Jae, he was...” Yoochun couldn’t finish his sentence and only slumped into the open arms of the younger boy who hugged him back without a word of complaint because he knew all too well the pain that took over Yoochun.

 

Becoming a sobbing mess, Yoochun let go of the built up emotions and emptied his heart out for Changmin to take and soothe the pain away. No matter how hard you try to hold it up, losing a friend, someone you considered as family, was unbearable. After a while, controlling the tears, Yoochun wiped out his tear stricken face on Changmin’s jacket (who slightly groaned, seeing his leather jacket stained by snot) and tried to compose himself.

 

“I’m sorry Min... It was too overwhelming... I have to tell Junsu—He will be devastate”, softly said the doctor in a tone that was betraying his sadness.

 

“I know... I’m sorry if it’s a bit rushed, but Yoochun, I need you to do me a favor. It’s concerning Jae, or rather, Yunho. It’s really important”, the young man stressed out. He needed Yoochun’s help now more than ever.

 

“What is it, Min? Sure, I can help you. Especially if it’s for... Jaejoong”, replied the man sadly.

 

“I need papers. More precisely, Yunho’s health information or just any documents related to him would do just fine. I really need it. Don’t ask me why, please”, pleaded Changmin.

 

“I-I... You know it’s not allowed, right?”

 

“Please. I know. That’s why I need you to do me a favor. Please, do it for Jae-hyung.”

 

“It’s— I could lose my job...” seeing the seriousness inside his dongsaeng’s eyes, Yoochun could only sigh and replied in a whisper: “Okay. Just wait for me here” Yoochun walked away in a hurry, leaving the boy to wait for his return.

 

-----

 

Five hours ago.

 

“Hey, beautiful. Miss me?”

 

“U-Know.”

 

“Yeah, it’s me.”

 

“You—how did you find me? What the hell?! G-get away from me. I said GET OUT!!” screamed out Jaejoong when he saw his ex-husband approaching him.

 

“Shhh, beauty. It’s actually quite simple. Yunho helped me”, the tall man slightly chuckled, never once reconsidering to stop from inching closer to his love.

 

“WHAT?! Yunho— he doesn’t know anything about you! H-he can’t have helped you. Impossible”, furiously denied the raven, confusion and fear taking over his soul.

 

“Oh? Still gonna say that even though he’s right in face of your pretty eyes?” U-Know questioned, now at the edge of the couch where Jae took place all huddled up in its far end. The man towering his ex-wife with his imposing frame let his hand slided into his leather jacket. When he felt the cold metallic object he was searching for, he smirked.

 

Incomprehension crossed the raven’s doe eyes.

 

“It doesn’t matter if you can’t understand. You should simply know that I still love you”, U-Know brought out the gun he was hiding carefully from outsiders. “I love you, beautiful; why can’t you understand that?”

 

Jaejoong’s orbs widened at the sight of the mortal weapon well fisted into his ex-husband’s grip. His survival instinct kicked in and he immediately stood up from his spot and tried to haul himself out of the apartment. Unfortunately, he wasn’t quick enough and U-Know caught up to him and slammed him on the wooden floor of the living room.

 

“Tsk, trying to get away? To run out from my life once again? Won’t you ever understand my love for you?!! You can’t escape me— you can’t escape my love for you” U-Know hissed in a threatening tone. Pressing the coldness of the gun on Jaejoong’s temple, the raven whined out of fear, but was silenced by the man’s rough hand on his mouth.  U-Know then muttered sickeningly in a low voice:

 

“You’re mine. Mine. Bye beautiful. I love you.”

 

The gun was fired. He shot Jaejoong right where he first tried to kill his ex-wife, but unlike the first time, he made sure to do it properly. Jaejoong’s body tensed but soon turned limp beneath U-Know’s weight.

 

His hands now sullied by the blood of his love, the sick lover dropped down the deadly gun on the floor; his arms shaking uncontrollably as he lifted them in the air before his face.

 

U-Know… You killed him? Why?! You love him. I love him.

 

Tears pooled out from the killer's eyes. Strangely, one of his orbs was of a dark color while the other one was lighter, chocolate.

 

“Yunho, we both loved him, but he only loved you. Always and only you, damnit!”

 

... We are the same person. If he loved me, he loved you too.

 

“You’re wrong, Yunho. We are not the same— Never were, never will.”

 

U-Know… You killed him. You know as well as I do that he was our everything. He dies, we die too. It’s the same with us: I die, you die. Now that he is gone—

 

The hand that hung lifelessly to the side of their body slowly picked up the gun that was dropped and pointed the firearm to his chest.

 

“--we are nothing. I love him. You love him. It was our mistake, U-Know.”

 

N-No, Yunho! Don’t—

 

A soft click resounded in the room and the gun was fired. The body slumped down in a thud.

 

Two bodies, three souls, lied bare on the floor.

 

-----

 

“Changmin-ah, here it is. It’s the only thing I could snatch away from the bank of the hospital’s patients’ record”, Yoochun panted heavily after his run as he handed the files discreetly to the tall boy.

 

“Thanks a lot hyung. This means a lot for me”, gratefully thanked Changmin, seizing the documents as if his life depended on it.

 

“I hope I didn’t do this for nothing...” the doctor mumbled in a breath.

 

“It’s for Jae-hyung”, reminded the younger man.

 

“...Yeah. Min, I have to leave. I need to tell Su about... Jae”, his voice broke at the mention of the name, “he’ll need me when I’ll break the news to him. Bye”, Yoochun silently walked away from his friend, his shoulders slumped down as if he had the world’s weight on them.

 

It never should have happened.

 

After Yoochun’s departure, Changmin nervously checked his surrounding and except for an elderly couple and the hospital secretary, he didn’t saw someone likely to stop him. He decided to open Yunho’s files.

 

Reading it, Changmin felt his heart stop.

 

 

JUNG YUNHO

 

BIRTH: February 6th, 19XX (Korea, Gwangju)

 

: Male

 

ALLERGIES: None

 

MEDICAL/HEALTH RECORDS: Distinctive disease remarked in his childhood days, caused by his parent’s brutal death in a car accident. Nothing clear had been drawn. Grew up without any abnormalities. Eighteen years old, show strange reactions in society. Brought in the hospital for further analysis. Nineteen years old, diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID); extremely rare mental disorder characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control a person's behavior. Escaped from the hospital at the age of twenty; not enough information to further the research.

 

TREATMENT(S): No clear consensus regarding its diagnosis or treatment. Research on treatment effectiveness still focuses mainly on clinical approaches and case studies. Escaped from the hospital at the age of twenty; not enough information to further the research.

 

(DID)PERSONALITY:  JUNG U-Know, violent counterpart of Yunho. Clear characteristics: Obsessive, doesn’t distinguish the good from the bad. Escaped from the hospital at the age of twenty; not enough information to further the research.

 

-----

 

Love is indeed cruel.

 

THE END

 

<3<3<3<3<3



 

FINISHED!!! YOUHOUUUUUU!

 

I took a LOT of liberty while writing anything related to medical stuff. I know it is nowhere near accurate, but at least, you guys get the gist of what I want to convey, so that ‘s fine for me. Please remember, this is a fanFICTION so I can make up a lot of stuff. Please don’t pick on the technical aspect on the story and instead, enjoy (as much as you can with a fic which involves characters death…) the plot.

 

Credits to Wikipedia for the thing on Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID).

 

Thank you for reading this fic to the end!! I’m sorry if you are not satisfied by the ending but that’s how it is OTL

 

Spirit_Queen24  and YuHyeon, you two were actually spot on with your guesses on the plot about U-Know and Yunho :P You made me freak out just a little bit with your comments, because it felt as if you knew. Anyway, I hope you liked this last chapter <3

 

Here, tissues for everyone!! T^T

 

Love you bye bye<3