The Beginning

The Gatekeeper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Holding a knife, I stabbed the woman repeatedly. Her abdomen, her arms, her legs and her heart. I wiped the blood off the knife using her white dress. "STOP! PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU! HAVE MERCY ON ME! PLEASE!" She screamed in terror. I frowned. Why is she still alive? Silently, I took the rope that was behind me and started to tie it around her neck.

Die. Die. Die. I was chanting those words in my head like a mantra. I carried the bloody woman and forced her to stand on the pail. Then, I tied the other end of the rope to the ceiling fan. "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!" Why won't she just die already?!

With a blank face, I kicked the pail that was supporting a weight away.

 

"AHH!" I screamed loudly and sat up. Cold sweat was rolling down my face. So were tears. I looked at my hands. Why.. why did I do that? How could I murder someone? I had no answers. I was still afraid of going back to sleep. It was only then when I realized I was breathing rapidly.

Slowly, I took a deep breath and exhaled. I repeated it again. After a few more slow and deep breaths, I've finally calmed down. It was just a dream. It's just a dream. I told myself. I lied down again and closed my eyes.

Little did I know, that wasn't really a dream.

 

 

"Morning mom, daddy..." I greeted my parents. They gave me slight nods in return. I sighed. I sat down on the dining table and started to eat my breakfast. Then my brother came down. "Morning ma and dad."

"Morning, Jongin!"

"Morning, son."

I sighed once again. My parents had always chose Jongin over me. He was smart, handsome and talented. Wheareas I, only had the looks. I was quite sad after finding out that my parents were biased. On my birthday, they got me a plush toy and some clothes. On his birthday, he got a car and a new laptop.

Sure, I was jealous. But I wasn't envious. Even though the both of us were treated differently by our parents, Jongin still treated me like his own little sister. "Morning, Jinnie." He smiled and put a few pancakes on his plate. "Morning, Kkamjong oppa~" He always managed to bring a smile on my face no matter how down I was

If it weren't for Jongin, I would've ran away from home by now. "Jinnie, did you saw the news?" He asked as I took a bite of scrambled eggs. "No.. why?" I looked at him in confusion. "A woman was murdered viciously last night. The forensics said she was stabbed all over her body but she was still living, so the killer tied a rope around her neck and made her stand on a bucket, and then the killer removed it, making the girl die due to blood loss and lack of air."

I widened my eyes. It was the exact way I killed the woman last night. Slowly, I put down the fork. "When did it happen?" I asked. "Just last night. There were witnesses but they said the minute the killer kicked away the bucket or pail she disappeared. That can't be right." It's just pure coincidence, Sujin. Just pure coincidence.

"My my, we can't have a killer like that in the areas of Korea!"

"He needs to be put in jail immediately."

I remained silent. My brother definitely knew that our parents liked him more than they liked me. Because whenever stuff like this happens, he squeezes my shoulder a little and gives me an assuring smile. "What did the victim looked like?" I asked out of curiosity. The girl I murdered in my dreams had big eyes and long hair.

"She was pretty. She had long hair and huge eyes. Bigger than normal asians. Her neighbours said she was a really kind girl. So no one knew why someone would kill such a lovely and humble girl like her."

I kept my head down. Did I... Did I do that? "Oppa... did the news say what her name was?" I was trying to get some information about the poor girl. "It's Go Minra. She studies at an all-girls school. Well, she used to to study there." I nodded again. I looked down at my plate and saw that I've already finished my meal.

"Are you ready to go to school?" Jongin nodded and my parents bid us goodbye. After putting on our shoes, we started walking to school. Jongin did have a car, but he decided to use it when going on dates or hanging out with his friends. Also, walking to school would help us get fit, Jongin says.

We arrived at the gates after a fifteen minute walk. Jongin would always tell me to never make friends with his fangirls before entering the gates. At first, I was confused. So I ignored his order and made friends with one of them. She confessed to him after a few months but she got rejected. 

Days after that, she started to ignore me. I told Jongin about it and he said those were one of the reasons why I should never make friends with his fangirls. I also had my fair share of fanboys in this school, but I never had more than Jongin's. The female population in this school is insanely a lot.

Jongin oppa was a really sweet guy. A caring brother as well. His passion is dancing and he won a lot of awards because of that. That was the Jongin I knew. But here, he was totally different. He called himself Kai. Kai was cold and didn't care about anyone except for the ones close to him. He never let anyone call him by his real name.

The last time one of his fangirls did that she went home crying and transferred to another school the next day. No one knew what he did. Even today. But Kai would always change to Jongin whenever he saw me. His fangirls thought I was his girlfriend and started to bully me. But when he announced that I was his sister, those girls wanted to be my 'friends'.

I also had a name for me in school as well. It was Rui. I had some confessions from boys that I just met. Or boys that I never even knew that was studying here. I rejected them politely, of course. But after seeing their sad faces I added, "I'm just not ready for a boyfriend at the moment. And Jongin oppa is very over protective."

We entered and stepped on the school grounds. The screaming begins. 

 

"You guys heard about it right? About Go Minra?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Some say the killer was a girl and she killed Minra out of jealousy."

"What?! Will killing someone make you prettier? God, women these days."

"Minra was so pretty too..."

"Yeah..."

"Some said the killer looks like Sujin- I mean Rui. Why would she though? She's prettier than Minra."

"Maybe she's jealous because she's so nice but she's not?"

"I don't think she's cold like Kai. I went to middle school with her and her smile was contagious. Maybe high school changed her? I mean, girls at Rui's age get sensitive easily."

"Well maybe sh- OH . Guys, she's here."

I gave the three idiots a deadpanned look. "What were you s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter