Fixation - Peering over the edge

The Steps to Falling

 

Fixation
 
word count: 2444

 

 

It had only been a week since the toilet was fixed, and the last time Baekhyun saw Chanyeol. Now there was something irking him, it made his chest hurt and his stomach drop, something he hadn't felt in quite some time. He felt sick, not that he needed to throw up, but rather his throat had been very dry recently, yet no matter how much water he drank he still thirsted for more. Not only that but his stomach felt empty, so he ate and ate, again, he still felt hungry. His head was swarming, what oh what could the problem be? Then, he froze for the umpteenth time that week, he was submerged in the paralysis of thought, diving deeper and deeper by the minute.

"Um... Sir? You have been measuring my bust for some time now... and you are tightening the measuring tape..." A soft voice disrupted him from his thoughts and his eyes snapped up at the lady he was measuring. She looked startled, if not anxious, well he couldn't blame her, meeting a strange man in a funny little shop, spacing out as he touched her s, not creepy at all. He smiled apologetically at her and went back to measuring.

"Sorry... I was just... thinking." He chuckled awkwardly and scribbled down her shoulders, bust, waist and hip measurements on a scrap paper he tore from a notebook lying around. He pushed up his glasses that were slipping off the bridge of his nose and stood up from the stool. Making his way around his desk he flipped through his notebook and gestured her to come to his side. She shyly took the seat next to him and watched him flip to an empty outline of a woman figure.

"So what was the occasion again?" He asked, writing down her name at the top of the page and sticking a tab to the page.

"Um... My wedding..." She mumbled and he nodded.

"How nice, that's very common for me. So I assume you wish to have a white dress?"

"Uh yeah..."

"A long gown?"

"Yes..."

"Sleeveless?"

"Yes?"

"What about the front? Would you like a simple front? Grouped to the middle? Side? Or a V? How low? Sequins? Embroidered? Or maybe a fabric across your shoulders to hold it up?"

"Uh..."

"Or the back? A low V? How low? Zip up? Or maybe tied? Like a corset? Would you like a bow around your waist? How would you like the skirt? Just one layer? Transparent? Or a petticoat? Would you like it to stick out or stay flat? Frilled? Laced?"

"Uhhh..."

"How about a sash?"

"Sir! Could you please slow down! This is the first time I've done this and so far I've been violated and bombarded with questions!" She snapped and Baekhyun's eyes widened. He placed his pencil down on the desk and cleared his throat. Reaching up he scratched the back of his neck and thinned his lips.

"Sorry... ever since I met this person I've just been feeling very... odd all week. My thoughts have been contorting and twisting and... I've been spacing out a lot. It's very unprofessional of me, but my dresses make up for it, I promise." He said, averting his eyes to the notebook. She nodded slowly, trying to take in all he had said when he turned to the dress.

"If you want... I could sketch up what I personally think would suit you then you can change things around to your liking?"

She pursed her lips in thought before deciding that the option was the easiest.

"Okay..."

Baekhyun smiled and picked up the pencil.

"Just try to endure my staring for a bit, okay?"

"U-uh sure..."

She stood up and awkwardly let him concentrate on her features,  he sketched down some light lines he could easily erase. From time to time he squinted at her, trying to decide what would make her dazzle, until finally settling on the first option he thought of. A few more pencil and a concentrated scowl, he finished the design.

A sense of calmness washed over Baekhyun as he stared at his masterpiece, a long sleeveless gown, slightly grouped at the bust with sequins randomly threaded, then becoming more and more clustered together as they are drawn closer to the centre where a sliver pendant is sewn. A transparent lace cardigan that is clipped at the neck but is pulled to the back so the bust could be seen, the sleeves loose to the elbows and a silk sash wrapped around the waist, folded and pinned on the left hip. The skirt was long with a laced edge, a transparent fabric tucked under the sash and over the skirt, pulled to the back where the fabric is slightly frilled into ribbons to the floor. Then finally another long sash with embroidered calligraphy patterns and sequins to drape around her elbows. It truly was a dress for a queen, pure and elegant, the ideal attire for any wedding, a magnificent piece any engaged woman would want to wear-

The bell of the front door rang as the door opened, from his desk, Baekhyun's heart skipped a beat at the sight of a certain tower of a man ducking into his shop. The male scanned the small area until his eyes landed on him, a spark of recognition lit up his eyes and he grinned at him, waving.

"Ah! If it isn't Baekbooty!" Chanyeol laughed and Baekhyun shook his hands vigorously in denial.

"B A E K H Y U N. My name is Baekhyun." He pouted and the latter joined him in long strides.

"I know." He said with a soft smile, he reached out and ruffled his hair, earning a vibrant blush from Baekhyun. The shorter examined Chanyeol's figure in satisfaction, the latter had the perfect build for a new design he'd been dreaming of for months, not to mention how good he looked in those jeans. Tall, fair, Chanyeol was... perfect. He slowly drifted into a semi unconscious state, finding pleasure in listening to Chanyeol's voice talking about lord knows what. He was hooked on everything the latter did. The engaged lady who was currently watching the scene unfold before her clicked her tongue in realisation, the air around them was all too familiar to her, almost like a fond memory. Then she remembered how Baekhyun said he had met someone that made him feel strange afterwards and could only assume that it was this other man. The two began to chat, the taller doing most of the talking while Baekhyun kind of shrunk back trying not to smile at everything he said. 'Cute.' She mused, sighing quietly as she enjoyed the warm aura they emitted together.

"So you're a tailor?" Chanyeol asked, Baekhyun just hummed and spun around in his swivel chair, rolling to a rack of fabric rolls.

"What can I do you for?" He asked, standing as he stretched his arm out for a roll of fabric too high for his reach. Chanyeol snickered, then quickly rushed over and took it for him, gently placing it in his arms.

"Sorry, I don't think you will be doing me anytime soon." The taller smiled, the latter scoffed.

"Not like that. Thanks..." he muttered and laid the roll across his seat. He picked up the design and showed the lady, who quietly took it into her own hands and gazed at it in awe.

"It's... wonderful! Thank you!" She grinned and a small smile spread across Baekhyun's face.

"I'm glad you like it, you may go now, if you wish."

She nodded and left the shop without another word, just a satisfied expression and manicured hands gripping her bag loosely. Baekhyun moved across the shop to the stuffy corner occupied by multiple adjustable mannequins. He rolled one out to the space beside his desk and fixed its measurements to fit the customer's size, Chanyeol standing aside watching him intently.

After a good few hours of Baekhyun shaping the dress and Chanyeol staring from the waiting sofa, the shorter sighed and finally turned around.

"Can I help you?" He asked curtly and Chanyeol rose an eyebrow.

"Well, aren't you full of sunshine today."

"I could've lost my good reputation because of you."

"How so?" Chanyeol leaned forward in fascination and Baekhyun's eye twitched.

"There was some preppy girl that walked in yesterday, and since your fine was on my mind, she thought I was ogling her cleavage as I was sketching the dress!"

The latter snickered again, he eyed Baekhyun's frown.

"But isn't that your fault for thinking about me?"

"No. It's your fault that you stepped into my house."

"But you were the one that invited me in."

Baekhyun stared at him stoically for a minute before huffing and turning back to the work in progress.

"Get out. If you're not here to order anything, then get out." He mumbled and Chanyeol smiled. He stood and calmly made his way to behind Baekhyun, before leaning down to his ear.

"I'll be sure to inform my brother of you." He whispered and Baekhyun silently gulped. Chanyeol's smile widened to a grin as he noticed Baekhyun's ears turn red. He stood back and ruffled the shorter's hair before walking to the door. Pushing it open, he let in the cool breeze from outside and looked back at Baekhyun.

"Seeya Baek." He said before finally leaving the store. The latter didn't even watch him leave as he slowly gripped the front of his shirt. His heart was racing, making him dizzy once again.

 

 

 


 

 



Jongin watched her best friend pace back and forth the kitchen. It was the weekend once again, the one thing the older male always looked forward to if it weren't reruns of sappy dramas he had missed out on. But Baekhyun wasn't at ease, no, not today. In fact he had the absolute urge to see Chanyeol again, ever since the day the tall man showed up at his store, the feelings became real, and Baekhyun wanted more, he needed more.

He shrieked in frustration before running over to Jongin, who was slouched into the couch in track pants, a loose oversized shirt and her hair twisted up into half of a messy make do bun, save for the many strands that fell out and she couldn't be bothered putting back, so instead she tucked them under the base of the bun. He flopped onto the couch next to her and leaned down, burying his face into her lap.

"Jongin~" he sobbed and she rolled her eyes before shovelling a hand full of plain smith chips into .

"Whath?" She asked, voice muffled by the chips, letting some spit out of and into Baekhyun's hair. Usually he'd hit her across the back of her head and scold her, but again, today was different.

"What do I do~?" He whined and she flicked to another channel.

"Don't ignore me."

Flick.

"Jongin."

Flick.

"Listen to me."

Flick sniffle flick flick.

Baekhyun sprung up and hit her on the head repeatedly.

"LISTEN TO ME GODDAMN IT!" He barked and she hissed.

"I AM, YOU LUNATIC."

He huffed, crossing his arms and staring at the TV screen.

"I want to see him." He pouted and Jongin just sniffed before scratching behind her ear.

"Well too bad you can only see him for work purposes." She muttered and flicked to the previous channel, only to be greeted by another ad. This sparked an idea in Baekhyun's head and he shot up.

"You're right!" He exclaimed and she breathed out through her nose forcefully.

"When aren't I?" She muttered, but Baekhyun ignored her and jumped over the couch before running into his backyard. He opened the garage door and shoved his hand into the toolbox he never touched since his brother had given it to him as a Christmas present. After searching around, he finally found what he was looking for and ran back into the house. Paying no mind to Jongin's confused staring, he entered the kitchen and opened the cupboard doors beneath the sink. Bringing his hand back, he located the sink drain, and with all the force he could muster, he slammed the hammer in his hand against it. In one go, he shattered the material, water spurting out of the damage. Unsatisfied, he continued to destroy the innocent pipe.

After a good hour of destruction and intense judgement from Jongin, who frowned at him whilst leaning against the doorway, he picked up the house phone and dialled the plumbing company.

"Hello, Drop-ur-Load Plumbing service, how may we help you?" Luhan muttered, sounding less enthusiastic than the last time Baekhyun heard him.

"Hello Lu." He said and Luhan deafened the poor tailor with a loud phlegmy cough, followed by a gargle and spit.

"What's up?" The Chinese male then said as Baekhyun tried to pretend he never heard the horrific sound.

"Right, yes, I have a leak."

Jongin snorted and walked away, muttering "Just leak? You ing demolished it." under her breath.

"Oh okay. I'll send Kris over."

"No."

"No?"

"Is Chanyeol free?"

There was a moment of silence before Luhan spoke again.

"Yeah, he just got back from inspecting some old woman's water tank."

"Good, send him."

"Uh. Okay? He'll be there in a few then."

"Bye."

"Yeah whatever."

The line was cut and Baekhyun just sighed. Luhan was never the brightest soul on earth, but that was what made Luhan... well, Luhan. A curt insensitive prick.
 

 

 

 


 

 



"Just a leak, huh?" Chanyeol snickered as he inspected the male's destruction and Baekhyun just sat on top of the bench, trying to seduce him by constantly pushing his hair out of his face that of a model would and pose as he did.

"Yes, that is exactly the case." He said, over exaggerating his hair flip, thus making his fringe jab his eye. He jerked back and swatted his fringe away before holding his eye in pain. Chanyeol chuckled at the man and brushed his hand from his eye.

"Why weren't you this outgoing when I came by your work?" He asked, taking his shifter from his tool bag and gently holding the cool metal against Baekhyun's closed eye.

"I was at work, I might be playful now but when I step past those doors I go into serious professional mode." Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol hummed as a mother would when their child lies to them.

"Sure thing, and here I thought you hated me." He chuckled and Baekhyun pouts, still, his face never seized to stop burning at Chanyeol's touch.
 

 

 

 


a/n
ayyyy Baekhyun is going through the second stage
and Chanyeol seems to be a little flirty too
fufufu~
Thank you for reading and subscribing :D
it means a lot to me
bye~