Interest - Approaching the edge

The Steps to Falling
 
Interest
word count: 2499

 

 

"!" A voice screamed from the bathroom. Baekhyun groaned, slouched on the couch as he flicked through the channels.

"What is it now?" He yelled back at his housemate, eyes not leaving the television when she stuck her head out the door, glaring down the hallway and boring holes into the back of his head.

"The toilet is clogged!"

"So?"

"AND, I am on my period." She added calmly, making him shoot up and spin around to scowl at her. He jabbed the remote accusingly in her direction with piercing eyes.

"Goddamnit Jongin, this is the FOURTH time! To think that all these years you would finally be able to control your and slow that ing waterfall to a trickling spring!" He screeched, ducking slightly to dodge the soap bar she threw his way.

"Have some sympathy, for the path of womanhood is a rough journey, upon us unfortunate souls, that leaves us to face dire consequences. If you can't accept that, then go find someone else to move in my place!" She snapped, disappearing into the bathroom as he dropped the remote onto the couch and trudged into the kitchen. Picking up the phone, he dialled an unfortunately familiar number. As it rang, he rested it between his ear and shoulder, folding his arms sourly and leaning against the bench. The bathroom door slammed shut as his housemate came out into the living room, wearing a short flower pattern dress and thigh high ribbon laced socks. She stomped over to the coat hanger by the front door and shrugged on her white trench coat that stopped just above her knees. Baekhyun frowned at the much younger woman who buckled her bow heels and swung the front door open with a lot of unnecessary force, nearly pulling it off its hinges. He wrapped his hand around the phone and pressed the microphone against his chest, giving her a stern frown.

"Where do you think you are you going?"

"Out, mum." She sneered at him and stormed out, kicking it shut. He sighed, fearing that one day he would have to work harder in order to get new doors in place if they break due to Jongin's nasty habit of abusing them. Finally the plumbing company picked up.

"Hello, what may we interest you with?" That same lazy voice asked with the sounds of a 90's retro game being turned down in the back. Baekhyun snickered a little.

"As lively as always I see, Mr Lu." He said and the voice lightened a bit - a tad bit.

"Oh, Baek. What's up?"

"Jongin clogged the toilet, again." He deadpanned with a slight twitch of the eye, never had he ever wanted to use the word 'again' in that particular context.

"Oh, wow... how bad is it this time?"

With a small "wait a sec", Baekhyun straightened himself before lightly jogging through the living room and down the hall. He slowly stepped into the bathroom that reeked of a metallic stench, cautiously, he peered into the toilet bowl, only to gag and slump against the sink.

"Like a rusty meat mincer..." He muttered, sneaking one last peek at the bloody mess before shuddering and slipping out of the bathroom.

"Right... I'll send someone in." Luhan grumbled as the sound of the 90's retro game began to hum in the back again. Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow.

"Hm? What about Kris?"

"He's fixing a leak at some other guy's house."

"Oh right. Thanks."

"Bye." Luhan mumbled curtly and the line was cut. Baekhyun stared at the phone for a while, then he shrugged, figuring it wouldn't be wrong to have a little nap while he waited. He decided that he would set his phone alarm to a few minutes so he could wake up earlier and clean up the house, not that the plumber should mind, they've seen worse things, after all, they are plumbers. So with that said, he crept down the hallway and slid into his room before flopping onto his bed. Wiggling himself comfortable, he set his alarm, then closing his eyes and drifting off into a light slumber.
 

 




He awoke to the doorbell ringing, in realisation he shot up and checked his phone.

Dead.

'Dammit!' He mentally screamed as he tossed his phone aside and sprung from the bed. He bolted out of his room and half ran half leaped his way down the hall, an awful habit of an ex school and region representative hurdler. He slid across the wooden floor and into the living room, stumbling a bit since his socks decided that they wouldn't grant him much friction against the floor boards. He managed to stealthily trip pass the new vase without knocking it over as he did with the past ones and peeked outside through the peephole, only to cuss and slip back, he fixed his hair in the small mirror by the doorway and straightened his clothes, before confidentially swinging the door open. He smirked at the handsome male standing a head taller on his porch.

"Hey there se- WOAH JESUS!" He had gone to lean his elbow against the doorframe but the sudden gust of freezing wind hit him, catching him off guard and making him miss the doorframe completely, thus ending with his face having one on one bonding time with the door locks. He hissed but regained his composer after noticing the attractive giant staring at him. He settled to folding his arms over his chest and leaning his back against the frame.

"Hey there." He repeated, a little more huffed than before, but still, the latter replied in a deep velvety voice.

"Hiya."

Baekhyun shivered.

He wanted to hear more of that y voice.

"How may I help you?"

"Shouldn't I be asking that?" The man cocked an eyebrow.

He shivered again.

"Um... Aren't you cold?" The tall man asked and Baekhyun bit his lower lip.

"Not when you are here keeping me hot."

The tall male gave the shorter an amused look and waved his shifter in front of the latter.

"Sir, I'm here to unclog your so called "rusty meat mincer", not delve with you in your fantasies, so if you please..."

Baekhyun huffed, but nonetheless stood aside for the man to come in. He led the plumber to the bathroom where hell's sewer took form as his toilet, the moment the plumber stepped in, he froze at the stench. Though, Baekhyun wasn't too keen on stepping pass the door and just pointed a suddenly feeble hand to the toilet.

"There..." He whispered and the latter warily made his way to inspect the mess. He gulped and held his mouth, gripping the sink top.

"Holy- Did you slaughter someone?!"

Baekhyun shook his head. "It's my housemate-"

The plumber spun around in horror, pointing at the atrocity while staring at him.

"You gutted your housemate?!"

Baekhyun gaped at him, palms facing outwards in defence.

"God no! Besides, she'd be the one to kill me first."

The plumber sighed, turning back to the toilet, he pulled a bandana from his back pocket and wrapped it over his nose and mouth, before fumbling through his visually hefty tool bag.

"I'll do what I can."
 

 




The front door swung open with a bang, filling the living room with fresh cold air. In stormed a very pissed off looking young lady barely an inch taller than Baekhyun and two more in heels.

"Welcome home." Baekhyun mused, stirring the two mugs of coffee after Jongin huffed, pulling her coat off roughly and simply hooking it lazily by the sleeve on the coat hanger, shutting the door, she kicked off her heels.

"So how was your day, darling? Would you like something to eat? Hot chocolate? Tea?" He asked in a higher pitch, turning around to face her as he patted down his track pants and rubbed his hands together in a mock-motherly fashion.

"Die in a hole." She groaned, flopping onto the couch as he snickered, grabbing the mugs, he quietly shuffled through the living room, making sure not to spill anything, and stood nervously in front of the bathroom door, chewing his bottom lip - another bad habit of his when agitated, he took in a deep breath before poking his head into the bathroom where the other male worked away.

"Do you need some time for a break?" He asked and the latter stopped, he looked back at Baekhyun who stood by the doorway.

"It's not a huge rush... so uh... coffee?" Baekhyun smiled, making a small grin spread across the taller's face, he slowly stood up and cleaned his hands on the bandanna long discarded from his mouth before.

"Thanks, coffee sounds great." He said nodding slightly with a soft chuckle making the shorter's cheeks heat up. He followed Baekhyun into the kitchen where he was sat across from the latter at the island. Baekhyun cleared his throat and rested his chin upon his hand, gazing at the plumber. Although it was them who were engulfed in the soundless air, the deafening silence was suffocating Jongin, who was actually neglected by her housemate part family/best friend in the other room, so she just rolled her eyes and dug into her dress pocket for her phone. Baekhyun awkwardly brought the mug to his lips.

"Chanyeol."

He looked up at the plumber in alarm of some sort.

"My name is Park Chanyeol, if you were interested." The taller repeated and Baekhyun sheepishly swept his fringe from his eyes.

"B-Byun Baekbooty- NO! Baekhyun! I'm Byun Baekhyun..." He smiled and Chanyeol chuckled, making his heart flutter again. Chanyeol watched the shorter carefully, and if Baekhyun didn't know any better, he'd say the latter was checking him out, though, whether or not he was, the attention still it made Baekhyun very nervous. He averted his eyes, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth as he thought of ways to try and regain his confidence to flirt with the plumber, maybe even get him interested in more heated things, like the intimacy of two hot and bothered people, ready to plunge deep into a world where wrongs clash with rights and pain merges with pleasure.

'Or we can like... make out...' He thought. 'Yeah let's do that.'

"Well Chanyeol, don't you think you should get to work?" He asked his bottom lip as sensual as possible and winking at the latter.

"Oh right... your t-"

"Forget the toilet, I've got a leak." He growled and loud violent choking emitted from the living room. Chanyeol gave him an amused smile and stood.

"So..." He slowly made his way to Baekhyun's side, "you want me to fix your leak..." He bent down to his ear. "It will cost you extra to get me so dirty." Chanyeol muttered, his hot breath tingling Baekhyun's reddening cheeks as the shorter was skating on the thin ice of reality and ual fantasies.

More choking followed by coughing was heard. Chanyeol stood straight and nudged Baekhyun, shaking him from his daze.

"You should get your girlfriend some water, I think she's dying." He said, walking out of the kitchen to continue his job, while Baekhyun gaped at his retreating figure. Jongin went hysterical and the shorter stumbled out into the living room.

"THAT THING IS NOT, WILL NOT, AND NEVER WILL BE MY GIRLFRIEND!" He exclaimed, jabbing his finger in her direction as Chanyeol simply waved off the gesture. She snickered and pulled Baekhyun down on top of her.

"Don't say that, baby, we have great times together." Jongin purred, making him gag. He writhed out of her grip, feeling violated by her creepy smile.

"Get lost!" He groaned, pushing her face into the couch as he finally escaped her suffocating embrace. When he walked into the bathroom, Chanyeol was back to working on the clog. With a pout, he dragged his feet back to the living room and climbed over the back of the couch. Shoving Jongin's feet aside, he slouched into the cushions, wiggling himself deeper between them for comfort and a sense of security as he usually does, before picking up the remote and lazily switching the channels until he stopped on some disgustingly sappy love story where the main girl dies of illness and the main guy is oblivious to what had happened for he is living in another country and he is pouring his heart into a love letter to her, expressing how much he loved her and how she should get better soon. 

Around the part where he is devastated and rebelling against his mother to see her be buried, Baekhyun felt his eyelids become heavier and heavier until finally he dozed off.
 

 




Baekhyun's ears perked at the sound of rushing water, it didn't sound like heavy rain, nor a tap running, so it could only be..

Flush.

"THE TOILET!" He jolted up from the couch where Jongin sat next to him, fiddling on her phone stoically as the TV flickered the scene of a terrible semi- soap opera.

"Oh wow, you're a true genius, by the way, you snore like a cow." Jongin muttered. He glared at her and folded his arms over his chest.

"Not like you're any better. You sound like a chainsaw running on low fuel."

"I've been told countless times by my brother that I sound like satan humping a leaf blower."

The two residents turn to Chanyeol who stood behind them with his tool bag in one hand.

"What? I thought we were describing how we snore?" He shrugged and Baekhyun sent one last piercing glare at Jongin's head before grinning gratefully at the tall male.

"Thank you so so very much, how much is it?"

"Well, I was told you were a regular so I can give you a discount, and also because I think you're quite cute."

Baekhyun turned a whole other shade of red. He tripped backwards and over his feet, clumsily stumbling to retrieve his wallet. When he came back, Chanyeol bent down to his ear and whispered the price, pushing Baekhyun to the brink of hyperventilation almost immediately. The hot breath down his neck, the deep sultry voice, those dark brown orbs focused on him, and only him, what more could Baekhyun want? That is, until Chanyeol pushed his game a little further.

"Please?" He growled, nibbling Baekhyun's earlobe and lightly brushing his fingertips along the shorter's collarbone. Baekhyun was practically swooning then and there, dazed, he gave Chanyeol the money. The taller chuckled and ruffled Baekhyun's hair.

"Bye Baekbooty." He grinned and left, Baekhyun still stood bolted to that spot, swaying on cloud seven.

"Hey, do you think he could be a professional swindler?" Jongin asked, breaking her housemate's - who forgot she was there - high. He sighed and went to lock the door, but as he walked pass the particular hazard zone, he froze at the feeling of his elbow nudging something and a crash.

He knocked over the new vase.

 

 

 

 


a/n
and that is the end of the first stage...
I hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for more :D
bye~