Changed Appearance, Unchanged Personality

We Always Have Tomorrow

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jieun oddly didn't make any new friends at school, not to Yongguk's surprise actually. He used to think she would be more outgoing once she got some confidence but the day he brought her to meet with his friends, he had taken that thought back. One more that failed to surprise Yongguk, Jieun didn't even make effort to make some new accquaintances, either. The whole school realize her changed appearance, some still picked on her but that was just same old, gradually everyone forgot the obese Jieun of the old days.

Guys had been trying to hit on her, that was for sure, Jieun wasn't an ugly girl, she was actually gorgeous, but everyday instead of hopping on other guys' cars to have them drive her home, she chose to walk with Yongguk, talking, having fun with him, passing by their favorite street food stores together and if some days they got home late, they both would hear Jieun's mother nagging to the next day. Jieun preferred being with Yongguk, he understood her, he got along with her nonsense jokes well and he knew how to make her laugh gracelessly. Although those guys never gave up as they were making it obvious that they wanted Yongguk to get out of the way everytime they tried to hit on Jieun, Yongguk didn't seem to be bothered. He would go if Jieun told him to, not those scumbags.

"Hey, my mom invited you for dinner, she's making your favorite cookies."

Jieun said, as she was trying to finish eating the fish cake before her ice cream melted.

Yongguk briefly took a look at her as he was searching for some favorite songs in his Ipod.

"Sure, but can I ask for your radish soup as well? My mom has yet to learn all the skills to make a perfect soup, like you do."

"Too much demanding but nice boasting."

"By the way, Sunhwa has a party at her place this Saturday night, she asked me to invite you since she wanted to see, well, the new you. You can reject!"

"No, why do I? I'll come if you come."

"I'm forced to, so.."

Jieun elbowed Yongguk on his arm as if he just said something so selfish. She smiled widely.

"I missed those nice people anyway. You know, I was having to deal with es before, but these days, fake people suddenly get in the picture. I'm tired."

"But you were so happy when that kingka gave you chocolates, weren't you?" Yongguk said nonchalantly, actually burning inside.

Jieun shook her head.

"That was before I saw him kissing Nana in the corner before our Math class started. That's yuck!"

Yongguk laughed, actually he felt bad for Jieun because except her mother, nobody had been genuine around her until he came, with his crazy bunch of friends.

"Being with you is the most pleasant thing, Yong. So good to have you around."

"Can I take my words when I said I wasn't going to leave you once I had a girlriend back?" He joked.

Although he invited several slaps and curses from Jieun for saying that, they still laughed together until they got home.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yongguk found Jieun sitting on the roof as he was done washing the dishes with her mother, well he insisted on because the dinner was dead good as usual, Jieun's mother took good care of him since his parents were out of country to go on their anniversary so that was the least he could do to give back.

He said hey before sitting down next to her, throwing an apple to her, receiving a thanking through her tender voice. Jieun took a bite then she moved her concentration back to the book she was reading.

"Wanna sleep here tonight?"

She suddenly asked, eyes sticking on the book.

"Can I?"

"Yeah, under my bed, I heard you hated being home alone." Jieun blinked her eyes, which Yongguk found the cutest thing ever. "So what do you say?"

"Yeah, whatever!"

"Ey, I know you're dying for it."

Yongguk stretched his shoulders as he lied down.

"Of course, it's my first time to have a girl asking me to sleep with her."

"Me too, it's also my first time to ask a boy to sleep with me."

They joked, although some of it were either out of date or nonsense sometimes.

"So we're each other first times?"

"I guess so." Jieun wiped her tears as she had laughed too much, she placed the book down and asked. "Do you want some more cookie or something?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, wait."

 

 

"What do you think I should wear on Sunhwa's party? Dress or just casual clothes?"

That night, Jieun asked. As she knew Yongguk was still awake and she started becoming awkward with him sleeping in the same room. She never thought she would be, though.

"Something you're comfortable with." His answer was short but it made sense.

"It's my first time to be invited to a party.."

"That's not a problem, when we were in France, Sunhwa used to hold a party at our practice house, I had unstable sleeps back then so I woke up at 10pm when the party was crazy hot, the thing is, I was only on my boxers and still having fun."

Jieun laughed, she loved the way he was never ashamed to bring up his shameful stories to comfort her, encourage her. She adored him, much more than he could ever imagine and he was such a good person, although what he ever said to her was that he was just a well-mannered guy, who happened to pity her so he helped her out.

Yongguk had been so sweet to Jieun, it's just he never admitted that for no reason.

"It's about how comfortable you will be, not about how great the party is so don't think too much."

"You know what, Yongguk? I would be a complete loser if I didn't have you. Hey, what if I'm in love with you?" That was half hearted.

Jieun realized she didn't mean it, but then she realized once again, she did a bit mean it. She didn't know anymore but at that time, she felt like she was waiting for an answer as her heart beating so fast.

"I don't want to be killed by your fanboys at all, Jieun."

Actually Yongguk didn't want himself getting hopes up, he supposed Jieun was just kidding so he replied as usual, jokily. He just love a fact that she knew he didn't like being home alone and asked him to stay, he didn't know if he would survive being alone, even just one night.

"They definitely don't like me as you do, you're my number 1 fanboy." Jieun said as she peeked her head out of the edge of the bed, looking down at Yongguk, with a bright smile.

He was reading the book she read just now, very intently.

"I'm not."

"You are." She laughed as she poked her finger on his chest.

Well, they even could joke about each other's bathing habit, once Jieun's mother scolded the two for that because it was way too much for her but they still kept it as a secret, a funny secret.

"No."

"Yes."

They were both stubborn.

"I said NO, Jieun, no." Yongguk placed the book down, smiling back.

They always smiled to each other.

"Yes, you like me and I know that." Jieun kept poking his body with her fingers, then with her two hands.

Yongguk fought back, he tried to catch Jieun's hand so that she couldn't make fun on his body anymore but she kept escaping.

"Jieun, stop!"

"No!" She screamed and laughed simultaneously.

They loved to have fun with each other, in any kinds.

Yongguk successfully caught Jieun's hands, he rapidly squeezed it and continuously told her to stop but Jieun kept struggling.

"You should admit, Yongguk. Why are you ashamed?"

Then she succeeded in escaping again, they were joking with her lying on the bed and him lying on the floor. She continued her joke again making him scream in defeat. Then once again he snatched her wrists.

"Okay, yes yes I am."

"You are what?" Jieun would never let go of anything until she got what she wanted, especially what she wanted to hear.

Yongguk used his strength, he pulled her wrists causing her to fall off the bed and ending up being on top of him.

"I'm in love with you." Jieun widened her eyes in shock, at that time when her hands accidentally placed on his chest, she could feel its beat as clear as crystal and his breath.

Then when his hands found her waist, she could feel how hot his body was at that time. That was the first time in over 2 months they were this awkward together, even when his parents and her mother joked about how cute they would be if they were in love, they still took it as a joke and laughed at it. Unlike now..

She was ecstastic, that was the first time somebody made an offer to her and she believed it, right away,no doubt.

"There, that's it, now you've got what you want, I think we're also done here!"

He pushed her aside and then stood up.

She used to tell him not to fall in love with her, because she disliked the mindset of a friend becoming a lover.

But the real thing is, she also sees him as a man, besides him being a friend to her. That is definitely different.

 

That night, he slept in their living room.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Days after that they didn't go to school together, there were two seperate ways. Jieun didn't know how to talk about that no matter how much she wanted to, Yongguk probably didn't want to look at her even.

That gave the boys in their school a huge opportunity to approach Jieun more boldly, she had no choice but to get on their cars, let them treat her some luxury dinner meals and bring her home. She didn't enjoy it because it was so hard to deal with the burning eyes of the girls at their school, they looked like they just wanted to eat her alive everytime she appeared on their sight. If Kris, the captain of basketball team and Yoon Doojoon, the captain of soccer team, two most famous kingkas of the school, didn't make it too obvious about their intention on her, she would have disappear from this world a long time ago, but still, it was annoying.

She missed Yongguk so much, he missed how he made her laugh without even trying, his graceless jokes, his gummy smile, his husky voice and the way he patted her head, which she allowed him to, only him.

 

"Jieun, wanna go to Britney club with me tonight?"

Kris said as his car stopped in front of her house. Kris and Doojoon took turn to bring her home by the way, and she got no room to refuse, the biggest problem which nobody cared.

"Sorry, I have plans beforehand."

"Oh God, even the way you reject is so lovely, I want to have bite of you so bad." And obviously, Kris' graceless jokes were really graceless, it had no sense and Jieun didn't even care to give an awkward smile.

"Bye, Kris."

"Because of that guy, right? That cocky guy?"

Kris tossed his face to Yongguk, who happened to walk past them and didn't even bother looking back.

"Really, Jieun, what's so good about that arrogant ? What he gives you, I can give double, even triple, stop hanging out with him!"

Jieun rolled her eyes. Alright, she had been polite enough anyway.

"What he has is what you can never have, he makes me laugh like a crazy woman but I LOVE being with him, rather than you, or even Yoon Doojoon. I'm sick of you talking about him, you know what, I lost weight thanks to him so do not tell me what to do to him. If it wasn't because of him, I wouldn't sit here, talking to you because you would never lay your eyes on me of 2 months ago. He likes the real me, the ugly side of me, Kris oh my God you don't love me, or even like me, so don't try to have any bit of me because I won't give you, you don't even want to be my friend, do you? Stop being such a scumbag, oh and by the way, go spend time with your girlfriend Nana because she's so bored that she made out with Chanyeol yesterday."

That was the first time ever, Jieun felt so proud of herself and so relieved.

 

 

That Night 

 

"Is Yongguk at home?" Jieun asked.

Mr. Bang smiled immediately as he saw her.

"No, he left about 1 hour ago."

"Okay, thanks."

"I thought he would go with you, no?"

Jieun awkwardly nodded, the adults still didn't know about their cold status recently.

"No, I was a bit busy but I was hoping that he would wait for me."

"Aw dear, I'm sure he regrets it a lot, how about me getting you to the party? You look so beautiful today." He gave Jieun a warm hug. "Honey, go take a look at Jieunnie."

Then Mrs. Bang joined her husband, too. Jieun felt so embarrassed but thanks to their warm hearts, she didn't feel weird anymore.

"I think we should get Jieun to the house, and you should stay over the night because that little Sunhwa girl is extremely good at making oreo popcorn, after the party you guys will watch movies together and that's definitely going to be the best time ever."

"He's addicted to that." Mrs. Bang butted in.

They laughed, and then they had a good drive to Sunhwa's practice house.

 

"Bye guys." Jieun waved Yongguk's parents off.

"Don't let Yongguk drink too much."

"Okay!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~