Growing Feelings

We Always Have Tomorrow

 

 

 

"Oh my God, this can't be real, oh my God oh my God." Jieun shook her head in disbelief when she was standing on the scale and looking at her weight.

Jieun quickly got off the scale, picked it up and ran down the stairs, heading to her mom who was cooking in the kitchen.

"Mom! I lost almost 4 pounds in 3 days." She shouted, it was likely her voice could be heard all corners in the house.

Mrs. Song was even more surprised than Jieun, she approached to see as Jieun stood back on the scale, eyes widening.

"No way!" Mrs Song said unbelievably although she was looking at the number with her own eyes.

"Yes way, my God, that Bang Yongguk is really a genius."

Mrs. Song hit on Jieun's hair making the girl squeal out of pain.

"Yah! You should treat him better, he did so much for you but look at the way you tutored him yesterday. What kind of girl like that? I don't remember educating you to be such a rude lady!"

"Mom, it would be weird if I treated him another way. He kind of likes that don't you see?"

Thanks to the good news Jieun received today, she didn't bother much about her mother's nagging. Instead, she just ran out of the house and headed to Yongguk's house, which was right next to hers.

She caught him watering some plants right in front of his house as soon as she ran up to him.

"Wow wow, calm down. You may step on my babies."

He stopped her and his eyes stuck on the cactus pots lying beautifully on the ground.

"I just weighed, and I lost nearly 4 pounds."

Jieun excitedly said, which made Yongguk stand up immediately. His facial expression changed from calm to cheerful right away as they did a high-five.

"That's so good, hey, you didn't starve yourself, did you?"

"Of course no, I love eating, you know that!"

Then he suddenly came to her and rubbed her hair, which wasn't rejected by her anymore.

"Good girl! I will reward you 1000 jumps this afternoon, happy?"

"Yah! Bang Yongguk!"

"I'm not kidding, you seem to eat very well so losing weight fast will probably not affect your health."

He said, despite her annoyed face.

"But I really wonder a thing.."

Jieun joined Yongguk to sitting down and looking at the tiny flower pots before her.

"What's that?"

"What will I look like when I lose over 100 pounds?" Yongguk turned to look at her worried face.

He never thought of this, he didn't imagine it, either. What would she look like? She was so cute right now, what if losing weight ever changed it?

"You will look like.. great! I think so." He tried to reassure her. "Come on, cheer up Bear, I'm going to bring you to a place that you will definitely love."

"Where?"

Yongguk stood up, smiling widely as he wiped his hands on the back on his pants.

"Remember the French friend I told you about?"

Jieun searched in her mind for a second.

"The one that used to lose a lot of weight?"

Yongguk nodded, he seemed to be very excited.

"Not French, I knew him in France, he's originally Korean and he just came back to our country yesterday, with our band."

"Your band? What does that mean?"

"Just go, and you will know!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Knock knock?"

Yongguk pretended to knock on the open door to a practice room of his band, there were about 5 guys in the room and one girl.

It took Yongguk a while to persuade Jieun to come inside, since she was too timid to meet with new people. He could feel her anxiety clearly as when he held her hand, it was all wet. She finally agreed to go inside after so much time trying to gain courage.

"Oh my God, see who is here now!"

Somebody's voice which was as deep as Yongguk's was heard even outside of the room, Jieun cringed, she stopped her steps at the hinges but Yongguk was quick to catch her hand and drag her in.

"Yongguk hyung!" A few different tones of voices emitted.

Jieun was frozen at her spot until the only girl in the room approached her, after doing some greeting kisses on the cheeks with Yongguk.

"Hello there.."

Jieun widened her eyes, the girl in front of her was a goddess, she had fair skin and a long smooth hair, tall figure and an attractive voice. Jieun was attracted immediately.

"My name is Han Sunhwa, just call me Sunhwa. I can see you go with Yongguk."

"Ah.. th-the name is.. J-Jieun, Song Jieun."

"What a beautiful name! Nice to meet you, we all must be at the same age, except those kids."

Jieun laughed. She was shocked at this, too for being too comfortable around strangers, which never happened before.

"Yah! Ssong, come here!" Yongguk yelled to Jieun.

Sunhwa grabbed her hand and pulled her to Yongguk, a handsome guy as tall as Yongguk stared at her, with his friendly eyes as he asked.

"Is this Song Jieun that you talked about?"

Yongguk nodded, and the boy was quick to reach his hand out to Jieun, he smiled.

"Hi beautiful, my name is Kim Himchan, the used-to-be-overweight best friend of this scumbag." He joked, and it seemed to worked since Jieun saw the others were laughing, too.

"Song Jieun."

"I've heard a lot about you, since we are both from the same formation, what do you think about Yongguk's taste?"

Jieun laughed harder. Yongguk placed an arm around her shoulder as he said.

"Yah! Your girlfriend is here and you're trying to make another girl fall for you?"

Just then Jieun realized Sunhwa and Himchan are a couple, luckily she had no intention of being something more than friends with a guy she just met less than 20 minutes.

"I'm sure Jieunnie's taste is better than mine." Sunhwa elegantly said.

Then Yongguk introduced Jieun to other younger boys, who were from his band, too. The tallest boy turned out to be the youngest, Choi Junhong, another boy with a really cute smile was Moon Jongup, the other one was Yoo Youngjae, who was as pretty as a girl and the last one, Jung Daehyun, he had the most charming lips ever. These young four were taking their education in France but it was summer now, so they were going to spend it here in Korea. They were all nice to Jieun, but the younger ones seemed to love being with each other, playing legos and some games online more than talking.

 

"So we're here for Himchan to show me some tips of losing weight or something?" Jieun randomly asked and made the other three burst out laughing.

"No, silly. We're here to relax before your exercises this afternoon, so just relax."

"Sounds so simple." Jieun commented.

"We're a band, so who do think is the most handsome here, Jieunnie?" Himchan asked.

Jieun processed to think for a few seconds.

"Yoo Youngjae ssi.."

 

"Thank you noona!" Youngjae shouted, Jieun didn't know that he could hear her.

 

"Why do you want to lose weight by the way?" Sunhwa asked.

"The doctor said I should, for a health problem, sometimes I feel hard to breath as well."

"Do you ask Yongguk to help you?"

Jieun took a glance at Yongguk, who was having his eyes closed.

"Yeah, since he's pretty skinny, I think he may have some tips so I asked him, it turned out he even had an experienced living proof here."

Sunhwa smiled sweetly. She stopped asking and they started to fall in silence, until Jieun wandered her eyes around and noticed something familiar as she joyfully said out loud.

"Wow, look at that set of drums."

Jieun stood up, she came near to the drum standing near the corner of the room, eyes widening in excitement. She loves to drum.

Yongguk sat up as he heard Jieun's voice. Everyone was focusing their eyes on Jieun, Himchan asked.

"Can you play it?"

Jieun trailed her fingers on the biggest drum, she turned around.

"A little."

The whole room screamed in joy, in a blink of an eye she saw Yongguk and the others coming to her. They motivated her to play.

It's been a long time already so she wasn't quite sure but she loves drum.

"Play it, we want to see your skills."

Then Jieun sat on the seat, she relaxed her fingers a little before taking the drumsticks then she started to play, the boys were shocked at her skills because she was better than they could imagine, especially Yongguk, who was staying silent all for a while and just watching her.

As Jieun stopped, everyone gave her a round of applauses, they were all excited all day.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Where was that from?"

Yongguk and Jieun were on their way to home and he asked, Jieun was so happy today, after meeting those good people.

"What?" She frowned, realizing Yongguk had been quiet all morning.

"Your drumming skills."

"I actually took a class a few years ago but stopped in the middle since I moved from Cheongju to Seoul, why?"

"No, just asking."

"I'm not going to teach you my tricks anyway." She said proudly.

Yongguk playfully pushed her shoulders.

The fact is that, Yongguk LOVES drum girls, not really an ideal type but girls like those attracted him a lot and of course, he would never tell Jieun that. He was amazed by her today, which made him like her even more, as a girl.

Yongguk was the type who easily fell for someone, and Song Jieun was just perfect for him. She was cute, shy but frank, he loves that adorable popping move of her, now that she drums, too after another fact that she cooks like an angel which made him fall for her a long long time ago. Okay, maybe faster than that but Yongguk had already fallen for Song Jieun. He didn't know he was the type that falls for someone so effortlessly, now he knew.

However, he still treated her the same as before, no mercy at food and even stricter at practicing. He was fine if she still looked chubby, it's just her health that he was worried about. She needed to be healthy.

"You should jogging from here to our houses, I will reduce the practice time for you today."

"Really?"

"It will take the same amount of time so, yeah."

Yongguk almost laughed at Jieun's disoriented face, which was beyond cute.

"Ey, no fun."

"It will be fun, now let's go jogging."

"Can I eat something beforehand?"

Jieun asked, but she followed him anyway.

"You already ate at our room, let's burn some calories, Ssong!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The exercises with Yongguk seemed to work since after two weeks, Jieun lost almost 15 pounds and even her mom could see the difference. He motivated her everyday, even scheduled her daily meals so she easily lose so much weight.

What a good friend Jieun had, her mother remarked that one night and told her to keep him as long as possible and maybe, just maybe that they could develop something more than friendship. Jieun thought that was a crazy supposition, there was no way Yongguk would ever like her, as a girl. He was too good for her, it was an extreme luck for her to have him as a friend, so she would never risk this precious friendship, no more imagination.

 

Jieun was looking at herself in the mirror and being stunned greatly, her stomach was actually zoomed out and the fats on her cheeks, her arms, her neck had gone so far away, especially her face, Jieun even could see her jaw right now, she now looked so fine and fit an eye. The es at school didn't see her yet since they're on their one-month break before the last exam, Jieun actually didn't even think of showing off to them or anything, she just hoped that if she was no longer an overweight girl, they would leave her alone, finally in the very last days of high school.

 

"Jieun, when you're crowned as the Queen of Prom, you have to thank me, okay?"

Yongguk said that one afternoon when Jieun was laboriously jumping the rope, sweat was covering her whole face and body.

"As if there's anyone who will ask me out."

Winter was coming so the weather had been so cold lately, it partly affected Jieun's practice routine. Jieun loves Winter, she preferred cold weather to hot one.

Almost a month, Jieun surely didn't make it any nearer to being a model but it was definitely obvious to see that she had lost a lot of weight and being kept perfectly healthy. Even Jieun herself could feel she was lighter right now, and most of all, she felt so much confident, unlike before. And to her worrisome weeks ago, her appearance became more beautiful after losing weight, even her mother couldn't believe she had such a gorgeous daughter whose beauty was covered with the weight for years. Everything happened like a dream, too fast and good to be true but it's just the truth.

Yongguk these days allowed Jieun to eat street food, they usually hung out together and ate it. Sometimes when he missed her beef ribs soup, he would ask her to his house and make it for him. Yongguk still didn't tell Jieun a thing about his feelings, he had been falling deeper and deeper for her without her realizing. He started to miss her chubby self so he asked her not to lose weight anymore but she insisted on, she had to make it to 100 pounds lost, she reasoned. Yongguk wanted to tell her that she was always perfectly fine and she didn't have to change for more but he couldn't, sometimes he cursed at himself for that but nothing was altered.

"If no one asks you out, I will go with you. I don't have a partner, either." He said, trying to act nonchalant.

"Really? I heard that Gyuri wanted to hit on you, so did Ailee. They're gorgeous."

"They're too aggressive, not my style." He tried to cover up.

The fact was, Yongguk had rejected them all saying that he would not attend Prom.

By that time Jieun was done jumping 5000 jumps as she stopped, she took the bottle of water nearby and frowned.

"I didn't know you have an ideal too, tell me about that!"

"Yah! Ssong Bear, you're acting like you have that wide acquaintance." Yongguk balled a fist and pushed on Jieun's head.

"I don't know, I like someone like you, I mean someone I can talk to easily, like you."

Jieun didn't even think so far from what Yongguk just said, he actually meant his ideal type was her but she didn't think so. She processed to think for a while then she tapped him by the shoulder.

A naughty breeze blew up and messed up with Jieun's hair making her look like some random insane females on the streets. She tried to brush it with her fingers, Yongguk stared at her quietly. If only he could tell her about his feelings..