Chained by Fate

Calm Discord

 

From all the things that I have already seen, your smile is the most beautiful thing.

 

            The scenery has already changed.  Red, orange and yellow dyed leaves covered the once lush green mountains.  Gently and slowly, the leaves fall to the ground making it like you’re walking in a sea of fire.  The wind continues to blow its cool temperature making everyone shiver.

            It’s already mid autumn.  The noble family of Murai is getting busier as the days pass, getting ready for its young master’s coming of age.  Preparations are being made sophistically.   Within five days, the young master of the house will be entering adulthood.  Not only family members from other regions would be present but also other noble families in the prefecture.

            A family that is known for their influence within the imperial palace, most of its past head master is part of the emperor’s advisers.  Introducing the family’s next head to the society will put the next head into danger.

            “The young master disappeared again!” a servant yelled

            Everyone has gone into panic.  The guards assigned to watch over the young master will be in trouble again if they would fail to find the young master before the sunsets.   Despite the danger, it would never stop the Murai clan’s young master from enjoying the scenery outside.

            “You can’t make me stay in that old house!” said young Nao as he ran his way deeper into the forest

            The falling leaves made a crunching sound at Nao’s every step, running with all his strength just to reach his destination.  A place where he could call his own, no pressure, no more lessons about the law, and most of all, no more lessons in kendo.  As he continues to run trying to keep his speed constant, he saw a bright light ahead towards his destination and the wind blew a bit stronger as the sound of the running water grew stronger.  Nao finally reached his destination.

            Upon getting out of the forest, Nao saw a figure of a familiar person standing by the large tree watching the river.

            “Saga!” Nao waved

            The younger boy turned to Nao’s direction and waved back then signaled him to come closer.

            “Man, you took so long!  How much time do you think it is that I’ve stood here waiting for you.” Saga said

            “Sorry . . . okay?  It just got . . . a bit hard . . . to go out . . . of the house . . . this time.” Nao said catching his breath

            “Seriously, from what family did you came from?  You clearly came from a rich family around here but you won’t tell me what it is.  I kept wondering if I should be talking to you without using Keigo.” Saga said

            “Even if you knew what family I came from you won’t even use Keigo, silly.” Nao said sitting on the leaf covered ground

            Nao was afraid that revealing the family where he originated might put Saga into danger.  The two both agreed on to call each other by nicknames.  To Nao, Saga is the most important friend he ever had because Saga is the very first friend he ever had outside the walls of the clan’s residence.

            “Yeah I won’t.  Anyway, you said you wanted to go fishing right?” Saga asked

            “Yup, why?” Nao asked

            Saga turned his back and took out two fishing poles from under the tree.

            “Here, I brought these yesterday and buried them with leaves.  I also searched for bait while waiting for you earlier.” Saga said handing one fishing pole to Nao

            “Waah~!  Awesome, Saga you’re the best!” Nao said standing up taking the fishing pole and flashing his smile at Saga

            Saga blushed at the sight of his smile.  It was really cute that he couldn’t help but blush and cover his face with his hand.

            “Stop making that girly face, it’s making me feel weird.” Saga mumbled

            “What did you said?  Hey how can I put on the bait?  The worm is degusting.” Nao said while fixing the fishing pole

            Saga just sighed and went to help on the helpless Nao fix his fishing pole.  The two stayed there and fished while talking about some various things.

            Nao was lying on the ground sleeping while Saga was beside him watching the dark clouds float slowly.

            “Oi Nao, wake up.” Saga said shaking Nao’s shoulder

            “What?” Nao moaned half asleep

            “We should go now before it rains.” Saga said

            Nao got up and rubbed his eyes.  Saga got himself up and took the fishes they caught.  Before they could enter the forest it suddenly started to drizzle so they started running.  The drizzle quickly changed into heavy rain.

            “We’re going to get drenched!” Nao said

            “Come, I saw a cave near here earlier!” Saga said as he grabbed Nao’s hand and ran to the direction of the cave

            It took them for a while finding the cave that Saga saw.  The two sat at the edge of the cave waiting for the rain to stop.  Nao is already feeling cold since he wasn’t used of being left wet with his clothes on.

            “Hey, I could hear your teeth chattering.” Saga said

            “I’m fine.” Nao said

            “Shut up, you’re feeling cold right now. Stay there and wait for me.” Saga said getting up

            “Where are you going?” Nao asked

            “I’ll get some sticks for the fire so stay there.” Saga said

            Even if Nao wanted to come along his legs won’t let him.  Nao released a sigh.  It just struck Nao that Saga couldn’t start a fire if the wood to be used are wet, so Nao decided to gather dried leaves that were blown inside the cave so that they could use something to start the fire.

            “What a creepy cave.” Nao said as he gathers more dried leaves

            The cave is dark and big.  Every time he makes a step, it would make an echoing sound. Nao wanted to go back to where he was left but something is telling him to go deeper within the cave.

            “Nao, what are you doing there?!” Saga yelled

            “Stop yelling you idiot!  Your scared the hell out of me.” Nao yelled back while walking back

            Saga is really drenched.  His clothes were dripping wet from the rain as well as his hair.

            “What are you doing spacing out like that over there?  Didn’t I tell you to stay here?” Saga nagged

            “Chill, I just gathered some dried leaves to start the fire.  Here, I found two rocks for ignition.” Nao sighed

            “I was thinking of doing it after I get here.  Thanks anyway.” Saga coughed

            Nao and Saga sat beside the fire and warmed themselves.  While waiting for the rain to stop, Saga cooked the fish they caught earlier.

            “The people at your house might be worried about you.” Saga said out of the blue

            “Don’t mind it, doing this once in a while is nice.” Nao sighed

            “How deep do you think this cave is?” Saga wondered

            “I don’t know.  I’m not planning on exploring this cave anyway.” Nao said

            “You scared?  There might be hidden treasure in this, come on let’s walk around.” Saga said

            Nao didn’t say anything.  The cave was too dark and creepy, deep inside he was just as curious as Saga.  Saga took a piece of wood to make it as a torch and got into his feet.  He looked at the boy still sitting in front of the fire; waiting if will go with him.

            “Fine, I’m coming with you!  Happy?” said Nao raisin an eyebrow

            Saga grinned then he leading the way inside.  Every step they took made echoing sounds, suggesting that the cave was deeper.  It was cold inside and not hard to breathe than they had expected.  Nao found it a bit weird, for a deep cave to be well ventilated.  After walking a few meters, the path was forked.  The two young boys looked at each other in wonder which way they should go.

            “I think we should go right.” Saga said

            “Let’s take the left.” Nao said

            “Why left? My gut feels to go right.” Saga protested

            “Look at the direction of the fire.  The fire moved the opposite direction when you place it on the left side path.” Nao said

            “What does that mean?” Saga asked

            “It means there’s a way out.  We can follow this path in case we can’t get back from where we came from.” Nao explained

            “Then let’s go left.” Saga said in a convinced tone

            Nao didn’t just chose to go left just because there is a sign of another exit at the left path.  There was also a part of him that told him to go that way.  He couldn’t explain if it was just his instinct or something in his chest made him chose it.  Walking another few meters was another forked path, this time, Saga was about to go to the right path where there was wind coming from.  But Nao stopped him.

            “What, I thought we’re going to follow where he wind is coming from.” Saga asked a bit confused

            “I thought you wanted to search for hidden treasures? Let’s go the other way this time.” Nao said

            “I feels like you are just playing around with me.” Saga said still continuing to walk

            “We are playing around so stop complaining.” Na said

            “This spoiled kid.” Saga muttered under his breath

            The second path seemed longer than the first one.  There was no sign of any changes within the cave so they couldn’t really tell if they are doing any progress in walking until they got into a dead end.  There was a gate that is as high as the cave ceiling.  Saga made Nao hold the torch so that he could open the door but it was just futile attempt.

            “Damn, the door is stuck.  I wonder if it’s locked or the door is just too old to be opened.” Saga said

            “I think it’s locked.  There might be a treasure inside that’s why it’s locked.  Of course no one would leave the door opened after hiding they’re treasures here moron.” Nao said

            Saga took the torch from Nao’s hand.  All the long distance walking was just a waste of time.  Nao wanted to examine the door to see if there is a way to unlock it.  As his finger touched the door there was a little sake on the ground and the doors parted opened.

            “It opened.” Saga said amazement

            Nao was just as surprised as Saga.  There was a short moment of silence between the two before their brains could tell them to move.  Saga slowly walked and lighted the path for both of them.  Looking around, the room was empty.

            “This room has nothing in it.  Someone must have got here first.” Saga said

            As the light reached the end of the room, both stayed still in shock.  It was obvious that the place has been long deserted.  But they found something they least expected to see.  Not a treasure or a thing but a person.  Hands chained on the wall, same as the feet.  Saga couldn’t move an inch.  He felt cold run through his spine as his gaze locked on the person chained to the wall.  Nao suddenly felt his heart beating so fast.  He knew that it was dangerous to go near the person chained up for it may be a criminal that was locked up here as punishment.  But his insides kept on telling him to go nearer, his legs forced him to walk and his hand felt like it has its own life for it reached out to that person.

            “Nao.” Saga murmured really low