Day Five: Choi Jinri’s Perspective of Life

Summer Lover: 30 Days
Choi Jinri’s Perspective of Life
day five:

Jinri seriously hates morning.

No, seriously. How could anyone wake up in the morning, prepare for work, eat breakfast, go to work, and especially do their work, starting at ing seven in the morning? That’s insane! They’re insane! Their bosses are insane! People are insane! The world is just so ing insane!

Jinri definitely hates morning. With a passion. A burning, blazing passion.

Honestly, what could possibly be worse than morning routine—

*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTT*

—never mind. Jinri almost forget that her alarm is far more annoying than anything in existence.

*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTT*

“Aye, aye… I’m awake now… stupid alarm…” the Choi grumpily mumbles as her hand sways wildly in any direction, knocking the still-buzzing alarm and crashing it onto the wooden floor, turning it off in the process.

Smiling victoriously against her fluffy pillow, she drifts back to the dreamland—

“YAH, WAKE UP SULLI CHOI JINRI!”

—and before that, she’d like to take back what she said earlier. This stupid freeloader in her cozy apartment is the most annoying thing in this lifetime and the next ones.

“Mhmm five more minutes…” Jinri groans while still snuggling onto her beloved bolster. She thinks she can do so, but how wrong she can be.

“Nuh-uh. Not a chance! Wake uuuuuuppppp! Wakey wakey walawalawala!” the freeloading girl shouts while jumping on top of Sulli’s bed and dancing weird hula-hula dance, and Sulli seriously questions her decision in letting the girl stay in her apartment before.

“Get off my bed, Suzy!” She yells half-coherently, because heck she’s still burying her face into her pillow.

And yes, this is the same Suzy that works with our Jinri at the agency. Bae Suzy, that’s her full name. A beautiful and ladylike teenager with an innocent persona, but behind all that is a mischievous, childish girl with a mental equivalent to a five year old kid… well, at least according to Jinri. And Jiyoung. And their boss. And many more people.

Jinri almost couldn’t believe that the very same girl broke the agency’s record of most request in a single year (obviously because they are only operating on summer, not every season), beating the legendary Goo Hara, Ahn Sohee, Son Naeun, and many more.

Although that very same record was later broken by the monster rookie, Kim Seolhyun, but that story holds no importance whatsoever for now so let’s leave it at that.

Anyway, back to the current situation…

The two friends are now at the kitchen, with Suzy at the kitchen counter and Jinri plopping her cloudy head on top of the table, apparently sleeping. The slightly younger girl glances at the sleeping girl and chuckles. Honestly, she didn’t expect to be here of all place. When she got kicked out of her previous house because she was unable to pay the rent, she really thought she’s be sleeping on the cruel, cold street of Seoul. It was an accident when she met Jinri that night, but she was shocked not because of that, but because her friend offered her place (more like ordered her to stay at her place) despite her own financial problems. It was already hard to maintain a steady lifestyle alone, but to put Suzy under her wings, Jinri got to be kidding. Well, that was what the long-haired girl had thought before she stepped into the warm, cozy apartment that belongs to her Choi friend.

“Yah, what are you doing, chuckling and smiling like an idiot? If you’re not careful, we won’t be eating anything for breakfast.”

Suzy snaps out of her trance and gives her smirking friend a glare, “unlike you, I tend to be extremely focused when cooking.”

“And unlike you, I tend to be really careful when I discreetly glance at basically anyone.”

The ladylike girl doesn’t expect such reply from her friend and only gapes in disbelief. Unconsciously, her cheeks become tainted with few shades of pinks.

“Oh-ho, looks like I’m spot on,” Jinri grins teasingly, “anyway, I’m more energized now than before so I think I’m going to brew myself a cup of coffee. You want some?”

“Sure. Will it be an Americano?”

“You really like my Americano, don’t you?” Jinri asks, amused. She has brew this for her friends for years already, and beside Amber, Suzy is the most appreciative when it comes to her Americano. Whenever she brews some, the rabbit-like girl will always have the first sip.

“Of course, your Americano is the best there is,” Suzy replies almost nonchalantly and focuses back on her own work. Jinri shrugs and just continue to do her own thing.

Fifteen minutes later, the two are sitting across each other, in front of each one of them are a plate of the same menus and a cup of the same coffee. They giggles at the similarities of their taste and begins to eat quietly. A while later, Jinri breaks the comfortable silence, “how’s college? Are you doing well?”

The long-haired girl is surprised once again as Jinri never really asks about her personal life like that, but she answers anyway, “so far so good. I’ve made a few friends already, mostly just people in my department. Why?”

“Just asking. Looks like you’re… happier nowadays,” Jinri smiles while sipping her homemade coffee, “man, I wish I could go to school too. Not a university like you, though. Just a normal high school will do.”

Suzy stares at her friend and gives a wry smile, “do I really look happy? And well, if you really want to enter, you can just apply to the nearest school.”

“You idiot, it’s not that easy. You need…” Jinri trails off. She suddenly decides not to continue, and her friend knows why, “well, we at least need help from our parents, so yeah…”

Jinri heaves a long sigh, “it can also be from our siblings or relatives. I just need to find Sooyoung-unnie.”

“Good luck with that,” the younger replies and sips her coffee, “by the way, how’s your job so far?”

“It’s great, I guess. My payments have increased since I started going on multiple jobs, so—”

“Well, good for you, but I’m not asking you about that.”

Jinri pauses, knowing exactly what the bunny-like girl is asking. Trying hard to prevent the blush that is slowly creeping on her cheeks, she replies nonchalantly, “so far, so good. We’re progressing slowly but surely, and I’m not the only one who initiates our conversations. Also…”

“Also…?”

“Well… she’s also, how should I say it, somewhat of a romantic.”

Suzy smirks, “Oh-ho, looks like my beloved Sulli has been charmed,” she coos teasingly, earning a hard slap on the right arm as a response, but continues teasing her now clearly blushing best friend, “tell me, what about her is so romantic according to you, the er for all romantic stuffs?”

The shy Choi blushes even more and quietly retells her story (read: quietly murmurs incoherent words that Suzy somehow understands) and by the time she finishes it with the phone number part, her long-haired friend has somehow sprawled herself all over the floor, laughing hysterically while clutching onto her stomach like there’s no tomorrow. “Yah! Why are you laughing!?” Jinri glares at her friend and pouts subconsciously, which causes Suzy to stop abruptly.

“Also…?”

“What?” The older one asks, still a bit irritated. Suzy grins and returns to her seat, “nothing, just stop pouting. It doesn’t suit you, at all.”

“Whatever,” Jinri rolls her eyes and continues eating her breakfast. Minutes later, she’s already in front of her apartment door. “Suzy, I’m leaving first!” she shouts and opens the door to leave.

“Be sure to work hard and take care of yourself, Sulli!” is the last thing she hears before she closes the wooden door.

 


 

Jinri never takes things that she doesn’t like, and she never takes things for granted. She never does. She takes only the clothes she likes and not those that are the current hit and trend, and she wears them all, all the way until they’re fading in colors and shrinking in sizes, rendering them unusable. She eats only the foods she likes and doesn’t spare a glance on foods she doesn’t like, though she’s all in for surprise and taste samples (which, of course, requires her to buy the said dishes. Which is why she prefers to bring Suzy along for such thing because that shikshin never rejects food, not even wasted ones from Jinri). She works only at places she likes and doesn’t want to work somewhere she doesn’t like, and when she works, she gives her all, even when she’s so ing sick or when she’s so damn depressed or whatever excuses people usually use. Which is why people label her as ‘diligent and hardworking’.

But there’s an exception for everything. For example, there was this one time when Jinri bought a beautiful black gown for that one party that she didn’t attend in the end, so she had no choice but to give that dress she spent her two months of salaries on to Suzy, who fortunately has the same overall size with her. There was also this one time when she was so not in the mood to eat and ended up buying a plate of tiramisu cake for Jiyoung (originally it was for her, but yeah).

And then there is this ‘summer lover agency’ thing. Honestly, she was a bit… wait, scratch that, she was very skeptical when she first heard about it. Like, ‘summer lover’? Really? Isn’t that, like, so old-school? And isn’t that, like, so not romantic? Jinri is a fan of anything fluffy and romantic, like the happily-ever-after type of cheesy love story ending or a romantic date at a garden full of roses… Oh God, she’s so going to marry whoever treats her like a princess like that. Ahem, back to the topic… In her dearest opinion, a ‘summer lover’ is just… eh, not that romantic.

But then, her beloved friend Suzy (yet again) had brought her over to the owner of the agency, who just so happened to be one of the more well-known people in Seoul, Kim Hyoyeon (“Oh my God the almighty Matchmaking Goddess Kim Hyoyeon! OMG OMG I’m a big fan of her what should I do!?” – Bae Suzy). After briefly examining the two, Hyoyeon decided that the two girls would be a great addition to her agency. And so, there she is, working at a job she isn’t particularly fond of (all because of Bae Suzy, mind you) but she forces herself to give her all anyway, and surprisingly she finds the job to be actually quite decent. She doesn’t have to entertain anyone that she doesn’t want to (she had thought otherwise) and she doesn’t have to come to work if she’s not ‘taken’.

Okay, so now that she finds her job pleasant and is finally feeling comfortable about it, she suddenly gets a client. A female client, in fact, but it’s not something new to the agency. There are a few lesbian employees within the agency, even Hyoyeon herself has a girlfriend. This client… she’s nothing like any other people Jinri has ever seen in her life. She was shy and somewhat timid at first, but on their second meeting, she became a witty and… and undoubtedly charming lady with a keen sense of humor. Oh God, why is she thinking about her client like this? Even though Hyoyeon allows her employees to fall in love with their client, that doesn’t sit well with Jinri. No, no, no.

“Jinri?”

The Choi snaps out of her chaotic reverie and blankly stares at her co-worker, Seo Joohyun a.k.a. Seohyun, the librarian at their agency’s archives and documents library. Jinri frowns, what the hell is she doing at the library? Has she been walking her way here while zoning out? How does she do that? Is she secretly a walking GPS?

“Oh, Joohyun-unnie… hi,” Jinri greets awkwardly, trying to grasp in the situation. Seohyun smiles and closes the one thick book she has been reading since this morning, “May I ask why you are here?”

“I… honestly, I don’t know,” the younger girl chuckles sheepishly, “I was spacing out when I walked here.”

“You were? Wow,” the librarian’s smile becomes wider, “I’ve never really heard anyone who can do it like you.”

Jinri blushes in embarrassment and proceeds to record her attendance. “Speaking of which,” Seohyun suddenly speaks, “Hyoyeon-ssi came in yesterday.”

The Choi puts her card into the attendance box, “really?” she asks without looking. It is unusual to see their ‘CEO’ around because well, she’s busy playing cupid amongst top celebrities, socialites, and businessmen. “What was she doing here?”

“That’s the thing, you see. She asked me if you were here yesterday.”

That manages to capture Jinri’s full attention, “she did? Really? But, why? Why me?”

Seohyun only smiles, “she didn’t elaborate further. As soon as I said ‘no’ she just nodded and went out again,” she answers, “maybe it has something to do with your current assignment?”

Jinri ponders about it. It’s possible that Hyoyeon wants to talk to her about Soojung. Soojung, after all, is the sister of the Jessica Jung, a famous model and top-tier celebrity in her own rights.

“Maybe so,” she answers back, smiling, “I have to go. See you later, Joohyun-unnie.”

 


 

For some reason, Jinri finds it odd and interesting that she keeps on crossing roads with Soojung.

There’s indeed a saying that ‘once you get to know someone, you’ll see this person anywhere a lot more often than ever’. She believes this, but she usually shrugs the thought of it actually happening to her. So when it does happen, and it happens way too often, Jinri finally, completely, fully believes in said quote.

“Why do I keep meeting you at random spots?” the taller girl asks as soon as Soojung’s pupils dilates, surprised at their sudden, but somehow expected, meeting. The Jung just smiles, “well, you’ll have to bear with it. Seems like we just so happen to want to go to the exact same place,” she replies.

“So we are in the same wavelength, eh?” Jinri just chuckles, “cool.”

“But why are you here anyway?” the younger girl asks, glancing at the vast recreational forest beside them, “don’t tell me you have a part time job here?”

“Hmm…” the Choi shrugs, but not without her signature unreadable smile, “what if I do?”

The tomboy laughs, which earns her a confused stare from the Korean-American, “what? Why are you laughing like an idiot?”

“Oh my God, Sulli,” Soojung groans, “when are you not having a job?”

“Do I really have to answer that?” a grin.

“Don’t. I sort of know the answer already,” the shorter girl massages the temple of her head, “well, since you’re here, how about you accompany me for a short while before you go to work?”

“Actually,” Jinri smirks, “you can just accompany me for the rest of the day. It doesn’t seem like you have something to do anytime soon, and I believe SM Academy operates five days a week?”

“Well, you’re right, it’s Saturday and I’m ing bored as hell. Maybe I will do just that,” Soojung mimics her mock lover’s smirk and interlocks their fingers, “so, show me where you work, Ms. Choi.”

“My pleasure, Ms. Jung,” the taller girl plays along and escorts the Jung to her workplace.

Once they arrive there, Jinri can’t help but chuckle at her pretend girlfriend’s amazed expression.

“You!” Soojung points an accusing finger at the older girl, “Why didn’t you tell me you work at IKEA!? I like their products, oh God…”

“What? It’s not like I know you like IKEA products in the first place…” The taller girl defends passively and giggles when her accompaniment huffs and stomps her foot harshly against the ground before leaving Jinri behind. Actually, the Choi already knows how fond Soojung is of anything unique, efficient, innovative, and cool, anything like products from the world-famous IKEA. How does she know about it, anyway? Hmm, remember that time when she ‘accompanied’ the Jung to buy that meat plushy? Soojung was also eyeing other unique furniture with keen interests.

“I hate you and your stupidly clever remarks,” Soojung pouts at Jinri the moment the latter catches up with her. The taller girl just laughs for a bit, “I’m sorry, Jungie. By the way, that’s an oxymoron right there, those words you just said.”

“For someone who only works and doesn’t go to school, you’re quite knowledgeable,” the brunette points out in slight awe, failing to notice the slight drop in Jinri’s smile, “whatever, now shoo! Go and do your job properly. I’ll just look around the store.”

“I… yeah, see you around, Jungie.”


 

“She didn’t just say that!”

“Ssh, Sohyun, don’t be so loud…” Jinri tries to calm her co-worker, Kwon Sohyun, down, but the latter doesn’t want to listen to her.

“Romantic, my ! How could she just say such a thing? Education is a sensitive topic!” the Kwon growls angrily, her eyes sets on the wandering figure of Jung Soojung who her friend have just told about. She knows how taboo it is to talk about education to Jinri, because the tall girl really wants to go to school but because of her situation, she can’t go.

“Sohyun-ah, that’s enough…” Jinri’s other co-worker, Yang Yoseob, rubs her friend’s back to calm her down, and barely succeeds. “It’s not her fault, Sohyun-ah, she doesn’t know anything…”

“I actually sort of see it as a compliment…” Jinri sighs, “I think she meant to say that I’m smarter than some of her friends. I don’t really take it at heart, just that her sudden remark catches me off guard.”

“… Well, if you say so, Jinri-ah,” the short-haired girl finally gives up and slums her back at one of the display sofas, “it’s your love life, after all. In what position am I to get angry over your problems?”

The taller girl blush lightly at Sohyun’s words. ‘Love life’, she said. It doesn’t sound right to speak of their summer lover status like that, but somehow it feels… right. Just right.

Wait, I’m not thinking what I think I’m thinking… am I?

“Ah, Joonie!” Yoseob calls his boyfriend who’s also their supervisor, Yoon Doojoon, as soon as the man appears in his line of vision, “come here!”

“Yah, what are you doing here? Slacking around? What if the boss sees you guys?” Doojoon asks, worried. Jinri rolls her eyes inwardly. For someone who’s very strict and cold as a supervisor, Doojoon is such a big softie in front of his beloved Yoseob.

“Don’t worry, we’re just taking a short break,” the shorter guy smiles cutely and pecks his boyfriend’s lips, “anyway, Joonie, what are you doing in this section? This isn’t where you usually be at.”

“Oh, I was just helping a lost lady,” he smiles back warmly and moves aside for a bit so his Yoseob can see the girl, “she asked me to her to you, Jinri.”

“J-Jungie?” Jinri asks, surprised to see her mock lover standing meekly behind Doojoon.

“Hi, Ssul,” Soojung greets awkwardly, “I-I got lost while looking for you…”

“Aigoo, Jungie,” the Choi chuckles, but soon remembers that Sohyun is still with her and sure enough, she is giving the scared Soojung a death glare.

“H-H-Hi…” the Jung tries to greet the short-haired girl, but Sohyun just looks away without saying anything back. “I’m going to the restroom,” she announces rather coldly, gets up, and leaves the gang.

“Now now, don’t be scared, Miss Krystal. Our Sohyun isn’t always that grumpy. Right, Joonie?” Yoseob asks in his naturally cute voice and aegyo, lighting up the atmosphere for a bit. Doojoon nods and pats his boyfriend’s head, glad that Yoseob is here for the rescue. The cute boy is always one to brighten the mood.

Both Jinri and Soojung don’t seem to be that surprised that Yoseob knows the latter, because she’s already famous in Seoul. “I hope so…” Soojung says barely above a whisper, “Ssul, can I talk to you for a sec?”

The Choi hesitates for a while, “but, I still have work to do and—”

“Please? I promise I’ll make it quick.”

“But—”

“You can talk to her, Jinri-ssi. I won’t tell the boss anything about you ditching your shift just to talk to your girlfriend,” Doojoon says with his signature poker face, but the tall girl catches the corner of his lips curving upwards in a smirking way. She groans inwardly, how in the world could that one hell of a stupid mess be his supervisor?

“Let’s go somewhere else, Ssul,” Soojung says with a smile as she interlaces their fingers, again, and leads her towards the emergency exit. Jinri sighs and just let herself gets dragged around.

 


 

“Now spill.”

Jinri isn’t sure if she hears it right or if Soojung’s way of saying ‘now spill’ sounds so downright jealous and full of wrath. Like, what did she do wrong?

“I- What are you talking about?”

“Duh, I’m not a preschool kid. I saw you trying to calm that Sohyun down and then when I went to your place with that supervisor, she shot me a bloody look and walked away. Does it have anything to do with me? Rather, what did I do wrong?” Soojung scoffs and starts tapping her left foot impatiently, demanding an explanation.

“You saw me and asked that supervisor to show you around?” Jinri smirks, amused. Her smirk turns into a victorious grin when she sees her pretend girlfriend’s cheeks colored in all shades of red, “you are a lost cause, literally.”

“Yah! Don’t change the topic!” Soojung slaps her hand, hard. Jinri wails involuntarily and pouts, but it doesn’t seem like the younger will buy any of that, “seriously, spill.”

“I was just having a friendly talk with Sohyun and then she gets all grumpy and angry at basically anyone, okay? She isn’t only glaring at you…”

“Still…”

Okay, Jinri didn’t just imagine things. Soojung is indeed jealous and of all people, she’s jealous of Sohyun!

“You know, Jungie, Sohyun is really a close friend of mine…” she says nonchalantly, but smirks inwardly when the Jung’s frown visibly deepens.

“Whatever, it’s none of my business…” Soojung says airily and rather weakly. By now, the Choi is laughing hard inside her mind. Time to drop the bomb, she thought.

“… and so is Hyuna-unnie, her girlfriend of five years,” she adds, trying so hard not to burst into a laughing fit the moment she sees Soojung’s eyes widen in shock, “now, I’d like to advise you to tone down the jealousy issue because God, Jungie, you’re so obvious!”

“I-I-I-I’m not jealous!” Soojung tries to argue but is met with deaf ears, “yaaaaaah!!”

And Jinri no longer feels sad over Soojung’s careless remark, and no longer feels the need to tell Soojung about it.

Because she is glad that her first client is Krystal Jung Soojung.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: OKAY FIRST OF ALL I'M VERY SORRY FOR NEGLECTING THIS STORY BECAUSE UNI LIFE AND BY I MEAN I BARELY HAVE TIME TO THINK OF A GOOD EVENT TO SPICE UP THE FLUFFY STORY OF OUR BELOVED JUNGLI I'M SO VERY SORRY ;_; *ahem* anyway, because I feel like this is decent enough... I decide to make my long-awaited comeback! YAASSS but still I'm on my semi-hiatus because whuut what is life when you have college to attend? ;_;

@sparklinpeas: hahaha it was so much fun writing CrazyLuna XD and here you go! Your long awaited update! Sorry for waiting for too long T_T

@babujjung: glad you ike it because it was and still is my favorite chappie :"D don't worry, I'll make sure they do ;)

@yultijjang: here's the super-awaited update! :"D don't worry, I won't abandon this until the very end :")

@ForEverSoShI0923: I can still imagine that scene X"D more JellyJungto come because who can hate that side of our baby? XD

@gianglecca: then don't wait, that might take forever at this pace :( I love JellyJung too XD nooooooo don't DX and you're very much welcome ;D

@ilovewifi: LOL your comment X"D I can't too omg help me X"D

@nndz1004: here you go, the long-awaited update is here! :"D thank for being ever-so-patient with me :"

@KrySulDay17: OMG thank you so very much! Your comments are always so heartwarming and encouraging! Thank you for putting me on your top 5 list :"""""D seriously, thank you very much! :"D

@happynak28: did I see things right? Humors? OMG I'm the worst when it comes to comedies and humors OMG I don't even know what I did but thank you so very much! And about Summer Choi, well... soon ;)

@PrincePrankster: thank you very much! :D

@9ttaengoo: welcome to my humble story :"D here's the update! Enjoy~

Word count: 3,828 words | Updated on: November 3rd, 2014

story layout credit