Day Four: The Sun and the Moon

Summer Lover: 30 Days
The Sun and The Moon
day four:

Soojung might seems like a mature woman at times, but really she’s still just a teenager, a high-school girl at that. She’s not diligent all the time, she has her own lazy moments… which seem to run in the Jung bloods, seeing how even Jessica can get so lazy like every single time.

But she denies this fact most of the time, saying that there’s no way she is ‘a stupid lazy- like Sooyeon-unnie’, and that she is ‘way, way more diligent that Jessica’.

So when she realizes she still has some homework left sprawled all over her study desk, Soojung decides that maybe this is the right time for her to show the whole world just who is the better one of the two Jung, well not out of hate but rather out of sisterly competition (albeit one-sided since Jessica doesn’t give a single about any competition).

Pushing her heavy light body out of the super comfortable king-sized bed, Soojung trudges her way to the maroon Maplewood desk with her vibrant red iPod in one hand and a black with gold lines fountain pen in another, both given by Amber and Victoria, respectively. Docking her iPod into her customized audio speaker, the brunette turns on her ‘study playlist’, a specialized playlist consisting mostly of classical music (recommended by her three friends) that is said to be able to enhance student’s learning capabilities (and of course being a fond maniac of life hacks Soojung happily accepts the idea right away).

But just as she opened the small cabinet on the right side of the table and puts her right palm into it, the Jung realizes that she’s out of blank papers. No paper, no homework. No homework, no score. No score, no graduate. No graduate, no life.

“,” she murmurs under her breath, “and no one’s at home right now, too… I have no choice, then…”

Putting down her fountain pen, Soojung grabs her Lotus Evora GTE key and Chanel purse before elegantly makes her way to the Jung mansion’s garage, a destination etched in her mind.

The Bookstore.

 


 

The Jung always have high standards in everything they do and everywhere they go to.

For Soojung, it’s a must that her favorite places have distinctly elegant and sophisticated feeling in them that can make her drown into oblivion, that can make her lose track of time (something she rarely, rarely do), that can make her feel less burdened and more addicted in going there. Maybe it’s a little bit higher than the Jung family’s normal standards, but hey, if you want the best, might as well raise your own higher than the highest. Hence why there’re only a few places befitting of Krystal Jung Soojung’s majestical standards: her favorite café that she frequents with Amber, the school’s rooftop, and The Bookstore.

Maybe if you are a bystander who has never even heard of the youngest Jung before and only knows how she looks like from gossips and stories and rumors, you’ll think of her as a party animal, a club , or whatever in that context. But really she’s just a definition of ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’, for Soojung surprisingly dislikes party. She thinks party is a major waste of time, and when you go there, it’ll either you end up heavily wasted and will get extreme hangover the next morning, or you get ‘with consent’ (because drunk mind is the haziest a human’s mind can get) and will get up in the next morning and ashamed. Really, there’s no fun in partying at all.

Instead, Soojung likes to spend her free time doing things she likes the most, hanging out with her friends. With Amber, she can usually be found sitting at the nearest table to the window inside her favorite café near SM Academy while sipping random drinks and inserting random cakes into . With Victoria… well, the Chinese girl is quite random with her hangout places, but mostly they involve Mother Nature as a big part of the premises, like the park or the Han River.

Soojung smiles as she finally arrives at her destination. After parking her sport car somewhere near (and again it attracts passersby attentions), the brunette sashays to the elegant Victorian-era entrance and delicately pushes the door handle, bell chimes signaling her arrival. Wasting no time whatsoever, the girl makes her way to the stationary section and puts a rim of papers into her basket. Glad that her main objective has been achieved, Soojung makes a U-turn to her favorite part of the store, the Fiction section. Oh yes, Soojung loves fiction. She can spend an entire day just finishing up the whole pages of three Harry Potter novels, but that’s when she was seven… around eleven years ago. Now she can finish up five novels and ten comics when she doesn’t have any schedule and is wasting her time lazing in the living room.

Her cat-like gaze catches a sight of a new novel she has never read before and life can’t get any better for Soojung. But just as she is about to grab the book, someone else beat her to it.

“Hey! What gives-” she pauses abruptly when she sees who the other person is, “Luna?”

The short-haired girl looks up from her newfound book to the other girl, “Oh, hi Krys!”

 


 

Soojung’s relationship with Luna Park Sunyoung can possibly be the weirdest amongst the four friends.

Unlike with Amber, who she befriends the first amongst many of her friends, or Victoria, who Amber introduces and she grows fond of, Soojung first knows Luna through SM Academy’s annual student batch ranking system, where students’ ranks are based on academic achievements and extracurricular attendances and scores. With SM Academy’s international education system, academic achievements are harder to obtain than in other school around Seoul, and people within the top ten are all mightily famous because of this, including Amber, the 8th rank, Victoria, the 5th rank, and Soojung, the 2nd rank.

Now, this is what baffled Soojung. How in the world could she, who studied harder than the others and even went through some sleepless nights just to get straight As in all subjects, only managed a 2nd place? She was bewildered and furious (thought she kept it to herself) and was determined to know who the first rank was and how he or she managed to beat her.

“Who was it, Am?” she asked the tomboy, “who was the first?”

“Ooooh, someone’s grumpy because she lost~” Amber cooed teasingly, but whimpered when Soojung hit her back, hard, “ouch! Krys, can you tone down the abusive behavior…?”

“I will if you just answer my question properly, stupid llama,” the younger scoffs, “so, who was it?”

“Well, her name is…” the older girl paused, “Park Sunyoung, but most people call her Luna.”

“‘Luna’?” Amber nods. “Who is she?”

“A genius, perhaps?” the tomboy shrugged, “all I know is, she’s quite well-known, but not what I’d call famous.”

“The top ten are all famous people, Amber.”

“True, but tell me, have you ever heard about her before?” she asked the Jung, who couldn’t give any answer. She was right, Luna was not exactly well-known at that time.

But then, it all changed when SM Academy was holding an event for their anniversary. Due to the school’s blooming popularity in entertainment talents, the school decided to hold a musical that would be open to outsiders as well. It was a special chance to showcase your talent and may be get scouted by famous talent agency, and everyone was determined to get chosen for the lead role at all cost, including Soojung. Even though she was already famous in the whole city (courtesy of Jessica Jung) and that she wasn’t much of an attention lover, Soojung wanted to prove that she is also just as talented, if not more, than her sister in hope that people would stop thinking that she got to where she was at because of the older Jung’s influence.

She practiced really hard since three months before the audition, singing and reciting her dialogues and singing again and reciting her dialogues again until she polished her skills into perfection. She also practiced her confidence by talking more to the staffs of her photo-shoots and to everyone who talked to her, something she avoided due to her shyness. But it all went to drain when she only got the secondary female lead, as the main female lead position was surprisingly taken by Luna.

Yes, Luna. The formerly unknown girl rose to newfound fame when people finally realized that she has melodious and powerful voice that could shatter sadness and brighten any gloomy atmosphere just with a quick listen. She sang with so much feel, emotion, and confidence, that the judges quickly approved of her filling the main female lead position. Soojung was really surprised because never had she even imagined in the deepest pit of her mind that Luna was a musically talented singer because, again, she was not that famous.

And Soojung was jealous. Like, really jealous. Luna was better than her in ranks, and just as she thought she was better in singing, Luna also beat her in it. Luna was the type of someone she never thought exist, but she did, and Soojung hated that fact.

She wanted to hate the girl (the reason might be stupid but she’s still a young girl after all), but found herself failing miserably with the time she spent practicing for the musical was equal to the time she spent with the older girl and during those times she couldn’t help but be mesmerized. Luna is sweet, perhaps overly so which makes it a bit bad, but seriously no one in their right mind would have the capability and decency to hate on this girl. She is like a happy virus, an energy pill, a vitamin, someone that brightens the atmosphere of any place she’s at with her genuinely wide grin and friendly politeness and extreme kindness. Every time Soojung wanted to avoid the tanner girl, Luna would always found her ways into the Jung’s heart hidden underneath her jealousy wall, and eventually the brunette just gave up on any attempt.

It doesn’t help that Victoria and even Amber quickly warmed up to the short-haired brainiac as well, which sometimes annoyed Soojung to no end because let’s not forget that Luna beat her in ranks and musicals, and Soojung hates being beaten. Luna is also a combination of mischievous and sly and most importantly, she’s a prankster, a majorly annoying one at that. She’s a combination of anything Soojung hates but encounters every day and the Jung completely loathes her new situation.

There was this one time when Luna accidentally found out that Soojung didn’t know how to use a phone booth and she used this fun fact as an excuse to use one every day to call Soojung, and this action lead to a frantic Soojung who was afraid of all those calls from unknown numbers and a maniacally laughing Luna who kept on doing so until a month later after the younger girl begged her every day to stop because those prank calls were getting creepier and creepier for her.

There was also this one time after Soojung admitted that she was gay when Luna kept on going to the former’s house while bringing some magazines along… actually, those magazines are the infamous ‘Playboy’s. Soojung almost had mini heart attacks whenever she heard movements from outside her room every time Luna visited her because if Jessica managed to found out then she’s doomed for eternity (Jessica doesn’t know that she’s gay yet). Luna stopped coming after two months because Soojung decided to lock the door so that the Park couldn’t come, but she still managed to smuggled some editions into her shared classes with the brunette and only after she was busted by none other than her boyfriend, Onew, that she finally stopped pestering Soojung (“that’s too bad, tho. You’re so much fun to tease, Krys!” – Amber).

Overall, Luna is a disaster, at least for Soojung. Or, to be precise, Luna is a bipolar disaster. Sometimes Luna can be sweet and friendly and kind and understanding and any other perfect qualities, and other times she can be mischievous and sly and a tease and any other dreaded qualities.

Luna is Soojung’s friend and enemy. In other words, she’s her frienemies.

 


 

“It’s quite unusual to see you here, Krys,” Luna grins, “what a coincidence, don’t you think?”

Soojung nods stiffly. Amongst all of her favorite places that she shares with her best friends, The Bookstore is the only one that she shares with Luna, mainly because of their shared interest in reading books. In fact, Luna was the one who recommended the said store for Soojung because she knows the younger girl loves anything sophisticated and antique and the store has them all.

“So, whatcha doing here, Krys?”

“I’m… buying some papers. Ran out of those just as I was about to start working on my homework,” the brunette answers, “how about you?”

Luna shrugs, “I have nothing to do at all since…” she smirks, “I already finished all my homework yesterday, so yeah.”

Soojung gritted her teeth. Why does she have to meet a smug Luna now of all times? “I… see…” she muttered under her breath, “I guess I’ll see you around then…”

“Whoa whoa, leaving so soon, Krys?” the shorter girl laughs, “I was just kidding, seriously. I’m not that nerdy, you know?”

That doesn’t even half sounds like a joke! Soojung protests inwardly but keeps wearing her poker-face, “yeah, I can see that.”

“Offended much?” Luna giggles, “come on, let me pay for that.”

“Are you high?” the Jung accuses, “you’re acting weird.”

“Trust me, I’m always weird,” Luna nonchalantly replies, “nah, honestly, I’m just having one of those couple fight moments with Jinki. Nothing new, really.”

Nothing new, Soojung reaffirms inside her head. Even inside their cliques, LuNew couple have the most number of fights, ranging from petty to a potentially breaking fights. The fun fact is, ZhouToria and HenBer combined still don’t have nearly a quarter of the amount of LuNew’s fights, although then again those musical lovebirds are a perfect example of ‘weird couple’.

That might have been another reason why Soojung dislikes relationship. Sometimes, she wonders if being in love with someone is worth all the emotional exhaustions and heartbreaks she might experience from inevitable arguments like these because let’s face it, no couple in this world is perfect. Even her parents have their own arguments, though so far there’re nothing too major. It’s just not right holding on to a broken relationship on the pretext of ‘still in love’, that’s just stupid and irrational and brainless and those are things that belong to Soojung’s Meh-List.

“Since when?” she asks.

“Yesterday evening, 6 p.m., in front of the train station,” Luna sighs, “I knew he was tired, but he was lashing out on me like I was the one at fault. Like, I only told him to take a better care of his own health because his musical audition is in a week and if he gets sick then he might not be able to pass but-”

“Yeah, yeah… I get it, I get it…” Soojung waves her hands dismissively. How did one small question escalate to telling me the whole story?

“I’m sure you do,” the Park rolls her eyes, “come on, let’s get your papers billed up.”

“‘Billed up’?”

“I mean paid, duh,” Luna rolls her eyes again, “I thought it’s a common slang?”

No it’s not, Soojung wants to gag but decides not to since she’s too tired to response anyway.

They make their ways to the cashier quietly since none of them wants to talk, but when Luna notices that Soojung stops midway, she raises one of her eyebrows and curtly asks, “What?”

“N-No, it’s just… it’s just…” the brunette can feel goose bumps all over her body, “L-Luna, aren’t you still going to read some more? I-I’m just g-going to pay for these and g-go home…”

“What? No, I’m not, and I said I’m paying for your papers right?” the shorter girl gives Soojung a weird, worried look, “are you okay? Your body seems rigid with goose bumps all over, and you seems to have a bit of linguistic problem right now. Is something wrong?”

The wrong thing is that you are here while that Sulli is here… working!? The Jung can feel her heart pulsating faster and louder and cold sweats forming on her forehead. Luna, still confused, turns her head to see what Soojung’s seeing at that moment, and the sight that meets her eyes doesn’t help explaining the situation to her in the slightest, but it's enough to make her jaw drops.

Behind the counter, Luna sees a tall girl, possibly their age or younger, sorting out bills and notes while typing in the numbers into her antique calculator with on hand, holding the bills with another. She looks pretty slash beautiful slash angelic and Luna can almost swear she sees the girl radiating lights from her entire body just like the sun. Ooooh pretty gurl…

“Yow, Jung-Jung, you okay there man?” Luna teasingly waves her hand in front of Soojung’s face, which successfully snaps the younger girl back to reality, “w-what!?”

“I know you were shamelessly ogling that y gurl~” the older coos in a singsong manner as she skips away from the Jung all the way towards Jinri, and the brunette widens her eyes in shock as she scurries to their place, furious and bewildered while mumbling incoherent profanities and such. But she’s a tad bit too late.

“Heyyo beautiful~” the Park whistles, startling the taller girl, “I’m Park Sunyoung but people call me Luna around here. Do you have a name or do other people just call you ‘angel’ because that’s what you are to me.”

On normal occasion Jinri would have blush shyly, but then she remembers how Soojung once called her an angel and the thought of it makes her laugh. Luna shoots her a confused glare, “Is my flirting skills not polished enough? Why are you laughing, pretty girl?”

“Ah no, your flirting skill is quite good,” the Choi giggles, “It’s just… something along those lines you said corresponded with something in my memories, that’s why.”

“Is that so?” the short-haired girl gives her a skeptical look but shrugs when Jinri nods assuringly, “aye, then. Glad you’re not scared out of your wits because of my goddess-like flirting skill. So, can we start over? Because my friend there looks like she can gouge my eyes and teeth out and grinds them together to make a ‘Luna broth’.”

A bit disgusted because of the gore depiction, the jet black-haired girl glanced over Luna’s shoulder and sees her summer lover glaring at their direction (or to be precise, at Luna’s direction) with a look that might even kill a lion. She gasps, “Is that Jungie?”

“‘Jungie’? Which jungle in Southeast Asia is that?” Luna asks innocently which only makes Jinri laugh harder, “I mean, is that Soojung over there?”

“Soojung?” the shorter girl turns around but quickly returns back to her previous position as soon as her eyes meet Soojung’s full-on death glare, “you mean Krystal?”

“You’re her friend?”

“Yeah… wait a second…” Luna narrows her eyes while scanning Jinri from head to toe and murmuring, “jet black hair, pale complexion, tall height, ideal built, angelic eye smile…” her eyes widen more than a tennis ball as she loudly exclaims, “OHMYZEUS YOU’RE SULLI!”

The Choi looks perplexed, “yes, how do you-”

“FOR THE LORD OF ATHENA!” good thing nobody else but the three girls are in the store right now because Luna’s voice sounds like she had just eaten a megaphone, “GOOD GRACIOUS MOTHER OF OLYMPUS Ambro was right! You’re really beautiful!”

“A… ‘Ambro’?”

“I mean Amber. But seriously, HI!” Luna grabs Jinri’s hand from behind the counter and shakes it furiously, “I’m Park Sunyoung but people call me Luna. Nice to finally meet you, Krystal’s ‘summer lover’!”

Soojung chokes on her own spit. I’m seriously going to kill that llama later!

“I-I’m Choi Jinri, b-but call me S-Sulli…” it’s getting harder for the tall clerk to speak properly because Luna’s handshake is so powerful her entire body shakes along.

“I know! I know!” the short-haired girl chirps, “and I also know that Soojung is definitely head over heels for you, babe!”

“HEY!” Soojung finally speaks out, “What the hell, Luna!?”

“What, you’re not?” the older girl tilts her head cutely, “fine then… Hey, Sulli-ah~” she calls happily, but Soojung swears she saw the shorter girl wearing a sly smirk, “do you wanna built a snowman?”

Poor Jinri gets more and more clueless with each passing minutes, “pardon?”

“Or ride our bikes around the halls~” Luna sings teasingly. Oh, here we go again, the brunette thought and frowns. “I think some company is overdue,” the shortest of the three glances at her frowning friend and smirks, “I’ve started talking to the pictures on the wall-” she suddenly jumps to the top of the counter and slides to the other side, where Jinri’s at, before skipping her way and sits on top of a long table behind the taller girl and says to a painting of a sunflower hanging on the peach wall, “-hang in there, Ms. Sunflower!”

Jinri laughs at the stupid but funny improvisation while Soojung rolls her eyes and chants some mantras to herself, “she’s not your friend… she’s not your friend… she’s definitely not your friend…”

“It’s time to see what I can do,” the lunatic girl stands up all of a sudden, “to test the limit and break through~”

Luna makes her way painfully slowly towards Jinri, and the way she looks at the taller girl makes the Jung feel uncomfortable in the pit of her stomach.

“No right, no wrong, no rules for me,” she smirks smugly and launches herself to the surprised clerk, “I’M FREE!”

And the thing that happen next surprised both of the other girls.

Luna jumps on Jinri and lands on top of her, practically hugging the taller girl tightly while nuzzling her face on the crook of the Choi’s porcelain-white neck. Her hands that encircles the other girl moves after a while and places themselves… on Jinri’s chest.

Poor Soojung gets so angry at the crazy scenes that unfold themselves in front of her, “LUNA PARK SUNYOUNG!”

“KRYSTAL JUNG SOOJUNG!” the short-haired girl answers in the same tone, a bit louder even which makes Jinri winces due to its loudness, “oops, I’m sorry Sulli-baby~”

“YAH!” Soojung jumps over the counter and tries to pull her frienemy away from her mock girlfriend, but to no avail as Luna’s hug becomes tighter, “get the away from her!”

“YAH!” Luna screams back, “Have you not heard of this one K-Drama called ‘The Moon Embracing the Sun’?” she asks, the mischievous smirk getting wider and wider, “my name is Luna which means ‘moon’ and Sulli-ah’s radiating beauty is definitely a good example of the ‘sun’. It matches, don’t you think?”

“WHAT THE HELL!?”

“Besides, you denied it when I said you’re interested in Sulli-ah…” she playfully pouts and gives Jinri a puppy look, “so that means you don’t belong to anyone right, Sulli-baby?”

Jinri gives her an unsure look, “uh… I-”

“L.U.N.A…” Luna gulps and glances at the Jung, a bad, bad mistake as Soojung is giving Luna her deadliest glare ever and her body is emitting some kind of dark auras that drops the temperature in the room to almost below the freezing point, “Get. Away. From. Her.”

“O-Okay, okay! Geez…” Luna pulls her hands away and raises them in defeat, “I was just fooling around, gawd. You know I have Jinki!”

“JUST GO HOME!” Soojung is beyond help right now, “NO NEED TO PAY FOR MY PAPERS! JUST. GO. HOME!”

And Luna knows that. Scared, she leans towards the Choi’s left ear and whispers, “You know I was joking, right? And sorry about my antics, people don’t call me ‘Luna’ without a reason, y’know? I’m kind of… ‘lunatic’.”

Jinri gives a slight, stiff nod, “of course, Luna-ssi. S-See you around…”

And with that, Luna makes a mad dash towards the wooden door and escapes from hell.

Soojung’s glare lingers on the poor door even after five minutes later, just to make sure that the crazy girl won’t return back anytime soon. Jinri sighs and walks out of her counter properly through a small door on the right side of the table and makes her way to her pretend girlfriend’s side, “one kind of a friend you have there, Jungie…”

Soojung snorts, “What friend? She’s embarrassing the hell out of me, Ssul!”

“Well, at least she’s nice…”

The Jung sighs audibly and turns to look at Jinri’s mellow eyes, “I’m so sorry for all the trouble she caused…” she glances at the table which now has some shoe prints all over it, “especially that. God, I’m so sorry. I’m going to pay for the damage caused-”

“It’s okay, Jungie. You don’t have to do that, I can just wipe it clean later,” she smiles assuringly, “Anyway, about what Luna-ssi said…”

Soojung stares at the taller girl for a short while, “what? She said lots of things just now.”

“You’re head over heels for me?” Jinri giggles, “Is that true?”

The brunette’s face turns into different shades of red, “I-I-I-I-”

The taller girl laughs, “I’m just joking. Maybe you will someday, but like I always said, let’s just take things slowly for both of us, okay?”

Soojung nods, still blushing, “maybe…” she whispers, “the day will arrive sooner than what I expected…”

Jinri laughs again, “I hear that, you know?”

“Good,” Soojung laughs along, albeit still a bit embarrassed, “I made sure you do ‘cause you need to know that,” she leans towards the surprised girl, “I’m trying to take this seriously and I’ll make sure no one, and I mean no one,” she smirks, “will ever be allowed to flirt with you like that ever again.”

Jinri widens her eyes, surprised, but nods nonetheless, “so,” she whispers, “you were jealous of Luna?”

The slightly younger girl scoffs, “jealous? I’m not.”

“If you say so, princess,” the Choi giggles, “give me your papers, Jungie. I’m going to scan them first.”

 


 

After the shorter girl pays for it (and helps the clerk clean the table while ignoring the continuous protests from Jinri), she makes her way to her car with a smile. It feels good to tell the girl what was bugging her mind ever since Luna makes her going frantic. Once she seats herself properly, she checks to see if she isn’t missing anything and sees something scribbled on the corner of the uppermost paper. She takes it out and smiles gently, “that Ssul, really…”

It’s a phone number.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: OTL what is life I'm sorry my vitamin I made you such a crazy girl here OTL X"D ayyooooo guys I'm back yoohoo don't you miss meeeh? No? Okay ;A; doesn't matter I still love you guys. I'm sorry for the delay because my phone broke down and now I'm almost phoneless sheez ;A; by the way, about Sulli... (yeah I know this is so ing late but hey, I was away for two weeks or so ;A;) I'm really glad to know that she's still okay (I mean she's not suicidal or anything like that) and that she'll be on hiatus until she's ready to go back. I honestly believe it's the rightful thing to do, after all she does get bashed a lot because of her scandal with a certain dickhead (sorry not sorry) and I can only hope that when she comes back one day she'll be happy and bright and cute again like before :D

@100starz: YES YOU ARE OMG IS THIS THE CASE OF 'SENPAI FINALLY NOTICES ME'!? OMG I'M SO HAPPY OTL WHAT IS LIFE please continue to brighten my f(x)stan heart because it's so hard being one ;A; AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH OMG I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE MY FICS ;A;

@babujjung: she's so cute all the time OTL XD

@Trollabear: Choiza is and I rarely calls anyone like that >:/ I'm glad you like it! :D

@yultijjang, @nndz1004, @sooyeonjung, @sparklinpeas, @ForEverSoShI0923: thank you very much and here's the next chapter! Thanks for sticking around even though I took a long time to update, it means a lot! :D

@KrySulDay17: OMG really! Aigoo I'm glad to know that! That basically means you like my fics :"D thank you very much! Your comment is really heartwarming :"D

@happynak28: thank you! :"D Soosica? Hmm... well, they might appear soon ;) and I wouldn't know what to say about your prediction, we all know what Sooyoung's english name is~ :)

@athousandreveries: hohoho <333 XD thank you dongsaengie~

@jungboy32: wait no more, the update is here! ^^

Word count: 4,511 words | Updated on: August 5th, 2014

story layout credit