Chapter 13

Memories of Yesteryear

"What are you doing here this late?!"

Baekhyun asked with a furious voice making Taeyeon scared. His eyes only portray anger and worry that Taeyeon found herself being lost in those pair of eyes. 

She tried to find something there. But failed. 

"I'm sorry.." Taeyeon said with a soft voice as her gaze dropped on the ground as she tried to avoid those pair of angry eyes. Don't cry, she thought. 

But it seems like her eyes betrayed her, tears kept on falling down as her body kept shaking in fear. Never in her life did she felt the same fear when she lost her parents. 

Baekhyun on the other hand felt his lungs constricted. Not only because he saw the girl he loves cry but because his gaze caught his hand holding Taeyeon's. 

He didn't have the heart to let go nor move away. He felt glued there, he doesn't know what to do.

"Stop crying.. I.. I'm sorry for shouting at you I was just so caught up. I'm sorry.. I.. I didn't mean to" Baekhyun said with his voice stammering. Blame his mind that it didn't function well, all that he felt is that Taeyeon's soft hands. 

"It's okay.. sorry to bother you and thanks for saving me" Taeyeon said and took the courage to take her hand away from Baekhyun's grasp. She didn't like what she felt. 

His hands seemed to be perfectly fit in hers. 

"No, you're not a bother. Come, let me accompany you" Baekhyun said and he bravely took Taeyeon's hand again before walking down the street. 

Taeyeon didn't fought when she felt his hand in hers again. She can't deny it, holding his hand made her feel safe.. and warm. 

"Why are you still out here on the street?" Baekhyun suddenly asked while they're walking. Taeyeon opened but closed it again when she can't find the right words to say. 

"I.. I left the convenient store a bit late. I had some snacks there with Yoona and Kai" Taeyeon answered and she heard him let out a sigh. She just looked down and kept mum, thinking that Baekhyun might still be mad.

But how come she felt scared when she knew that he's angry at her? She didn't felt confusion but she felt fear. 

"Why didn't they accompany you?" Baekhyun asked with an annoyed voice and Taeyeon panicked she doesn't want Baekhyun to misunderstand things or worse he might get angry with Kai. 

"I told them not to accompany me anymore. Yoona's house is a bit far from here and I can go home by myself it just happened that some thug picked on me.." Taeyeon said and everything around them became silent. She glanced at his eyes and saw worry and anger, she felt sorry.

"Don't.. don't be mad please?" Taeyeon said. She can't see any reason for her to be sorry but she felt that she have to, seeing his eyes display emotions like that made her guilty and.. confused.

"I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at myself maybe if I went there with you none of this would have happened, I'm sorry" Baekhyun said with his guilty voice and Taeyeon took a deep breath before she smiled a little.

So he wasn't mad at her at all. He's mad at himself for not going with them. 

"It's okay. You saved me so it's not your fault anymore. Also, take it as a lesson..."Taeyeon said and Baekhyun gave him a confused look. Taeyeon who was so scared earlier was now smiling again at him, she smiled like nothing happened. 

"Lesson?" Baekhyun asked and Taeyeon nodded. "Lesson that you should go me with from now on.." Taeyeon said innocently not realizing that her words had struck Baekhyun's poor heart hardly. Now her words kept playing on his head. 

She's oblivious. He's happy. 

"Alright.. then" Baekhyun said and Taeyeon stifled a laugh. She likes it more seeing a bit of his bright side, well, she doesn't like him seeing all glum. 

"That's a deal.." Taeyeon said and she skipped down the streets breaking her grasp from his hand. He just followed her her, still dazed by her words. 

She don't have to make a deal with him anymore, he thought. Because he'll be more willing to be with her with very single second of his life. 

"Baekhyun.. can I ask something?" Taeyeon asked when she stopped her pace and turned to him who was following her at the back. "Yeah.. sure" Baekhyun said and Taeyeon's lips lightly curved up. 

"Is your dad strict?" Taeyeon asked and Baekhyun put his hands on his pocket before approaching her. He stopped beside her and leaned in her ears. 

"More than a military commander" Baekhyun said and she continued walking leaving Taeyeon behind. She turned and jogged to him not forgetting to bump their shoulders, he saw her grin at him childishly. 

"Really? Is it hard?" Taeyeon pried further and Baekhyun forced a smile. "More than what you can think.." Baekhyun said with a sad voice and Taeyeon gave him a worried smile. 

"It's okay.. you don't have to force yourself to tell me" Taeyeon said worriedly and Baekhyun shook his head telling her that it's fine. 

"It's okay, we're friends and we have to know each other" Baekhyun said and Taeyeon just nodded. She won't oppose if that's Baekhyun's perspective. 

"Alright.. so tell me about yourself" Taeyeon said straightly making Baekhyun chuckle.

"My dad, he's the one who put me there in the aeronautics school even when I don't want to. I like music but he opposes it, he doesn't like me seeing do music so back when I was young, he gave me books and lessons about aeronautics. He made sure that I will turn out to be the guy he wants me to be, I know I can't do anything. He's my father but there are times that I wished that I will not have him as my dad.." 

Baekhyun finished his story and noticed that Taeyeon was silent. "Is there something wrong?" Baekhyun asked and Taeyeon gave him a small smile. 

"I never thought your life went that way but try to be happy. Also, there's a reason why God gave us the parents we have you'll never know how much they mean until you lose them so try to mend things out with your dad.. it can help" Taeyeon said and Baekhyun nodded taking in her advice. 

But then he sensed something wrong. Taeyeon's voice was ful of melancholy. 

"I'll try.. " Baekhyun said and Taeyeon smiled a little. "You know I envy you" Taeyeon suddenly blurted out and Baekhyun glanced at her. He saw her gaze dropped on the ground. 

"W-Why?" He cautiously asked.

"I lost my parents back when I was younger so it's just me and my brother now. But it's okay, I already moved on and crying over something that's long gone isn't appropriate to me" Taeyeon said and with that she smiled again. She smiled like the way she used to smile back in the festival. 

"Sorry to hear that.." Baekhyun said and Taeyeon shook her head. "It's alright. We're here, thanks for walking with me" Taeyeon said as she beamed another smile when they stopped infront of a small white house. Baekhyun just gave her a nod.

"I'll be going now. Goodbye" Baekhyun said and he walked away. He wondered how Taeyeon could easily smile even when she had the hardest and most excruciating time of her life.

He wondered how she could stay happy despite of things.

He then stared at his hand that held Taeyeon's. He smiled as he felt the warmth Taeyeon gave him when they held hands.

"I'm going to take care of you.." 

_______________________________________________________________

A/N: BaekYeon feels everyone?