Can't Wait Til Sunrise

Can't Wait Til Sunrise

It was still dark outside when Kibum’s eyes opened to the sound of the doorbell. Groggy and disoriented, he squinted into the darkness and d the nightstand for his cellphone so he could check the time. When he held up his phone, wincing at the abrasive glow, Kibum immediately groaned. It was not very late, as he’d sleepily assumed; it was very, very early.

“Five in the morning?!” Kibum moaned, his voice raspy and incredulous. He dropped the phone on the bed and buried his head under a pillow, hoping that whoever was at the door would just go away. His flight from Tokyo had gotten in late and he hadn’t even fallen asleep until nearly three a.m. He didn’t have anywhere that he had to be that day, nothing to do that needed to be done in the wee hours of the morning, and he had no intention of getting out of that bed until it was absolutely necessary. Yet there it was again; that damned doorbell. Kibum whined out of frustration and mashed his face into the mattress hard for a second before the bell rang a third time. What irritated him even more was knowing that his brother was blissfully snoring away in the next room, even when the ringing was followed by a loud rhythmic knocking on the door.

That’s what did it. Kibum had no choice but to pull his head out from under his pillow and force himself upright with an unhappy grumble. Clearly whoever was at the door was not going away on their own. He stomped heavily into the living room, not caring that he was only wearing boxers. He glared towards Hyung Jun’s bedroom door and reminded himself to give him a hard time later that day. Reaching the front door, Kibum jerked it open while the person on the other side was in mid-knock and found himself scowling at the bright cheerful face of Kevin Woo.

“Kevin?! What are you doing here? Do you know what time it is? Do you know that I have to kill you now?”

Kevin only smiled wider. “Good morning to you, too. Were you asleep?”

His jaw nearly dropped. “Are you being serious right now? Do you really wanna die that badly?”

“Aww,” the younger boy drawled, stepping forward to run a hand through Kibum’s sleep-tousled hair. “My poor Kibummie. I know I woke you up. I’m sorry.” He leaned in and placed a soft, sweet kiss on his cheek. “Can I come in?”

Kibum reached up and batted Kevin’s hand away from his hair, his face deadpan. “No.”

“Kibum!”

He sighed and stepped back, yanking on Kevin’s arm to pull him inside. “Fine, get in here.” He slammed the door shut and yawned. “Do you want some coffee or something?”

Kevin shook his head, giggling at him. “Nope. I’m good. But if you need some go ahead. I’ll just watch.”

“I need some,” Kibum replied with another yawn. “I wasn’t planning on needing any for several more hours, but here we are.” He wandered into the kitchen with Kevin in tow, fumbled for the light switch and winced when he flipped it on.

Smile never leaving his face, Kevin followed and leaned against the wall while he watched him clumsily fill the coffeepot with water. “Need any help, yeobo?”

“I think I know how to make coffee,” he snapped back. He turned the coffeemaker on and shuffled over to a chair, practically falling into it. Looking over at Kevin, he pursed his lips in sleepy contemplation. “Do you know how long it’s been since I heard you call me that?”

Kevin nodded, pushing off the wall and going over to the counter. “Not since the last time I was in Japan.” He quickly turned the coffeemaker off.

“What are you doing?”

“You forgot the coffee.” Kevin lifted the filter full of coffee and held it up for Kibum to see.

“Sonofa…”

“Oh, sweetie,” Kevin cooed at him, slipping the coffee filter into the machine and flipping it back on while Kibum dropped his head to the table with a sleepy groan. He immediately went over to him, draping his arms over Kibum’s shoulders and resting his chin on the top of his head. “It’s okay. You’re tired.”

“Very, very tired.” The reply was muffled by the table, but clear enough. Kibum sighed and Kevin released him, sitting in the chair beside him as he raised his head and cast bleary eyes in his direction. “What was so important that you had to come here before the sun was up and drag me out of a very comfortable bed that I hardly ever get to sleep in?”

The younger boy shrugged shyly and looked off to the side. “I couldn’t sleep,” he confessed. “I knew that you were back in Korea and I couldn’t stop thinking about you and how long it’s been since we got to see each other. I was too excited to see you again.” A sweet, innocent smile graced his pretty face. “I just laid in bed all night wishing I was already with you. So finally I decided to get dressed and come over.”

For a minute all Kibum did was stare at him, the churning and dripping of the coffeemaker on the counter behind them amplified in the otherwise silent apartment. At last, he sighed, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. “Let me get this straight: You knew that I didn’t get into Seoul until like 3 hours ago and you were anxious to see me. So instead of coming right over and catching me before I went to bed, you waited until I had finally fallen into a nice deep sleep to come wake me up and tell me what? That you missed me?” His dark eyes opened and drilled into Kevin’s. “Is that what you’re telling me?”

“I… ah… Well, kinda. Yeah, I guess so.” Kevin scratched at his temple sheepishly. “I’m sorry, Kibummie. I wasn’t thinking. You know what? I’ll just leave and you can get back to sleep and call me later and we’ll pretend I was never here. Go sleep, okay?” He pushed the chair back and started to rise, but Kibum caught hold of his wrist.

“Kevin, sit down. There’s no sense in you leaving.” Kibum’s grip shifted from wrist to hand and he threaded his fingers with Kevin’s, giving him a slight squeeze. “I’m just tired. I got in late, you know, and had a hard time falling asleep. Sometimes it’s weird being back in the old apartment.” He paused and offered up a rare smile. “You know how I get all cranky and . It’s not your fault. Well… it’s not entirely your fault.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I am sure that you are partially to blame for my current oh so sunny disposition.” Kibum winked at him and Kevin laughed. “Besides, it’s cute that you were so eager to see me. Sometimes I wonder how you can still be so happy to see me, but I’m not gonna complain. I missed you, too.” He ran his thumb across the back of Kevin’s hand. “In fact, I’d kiss you if I probably didn’t have bad breath right now.”

“I don’t mind,” Kevin murmured with a tint of excitement in his voice. He leaned in and puckered up for the brief kiss that Kibum pressed against his lips. Pulling back, Kevin wrinkled his nose playfully. “Hmm… maybe you should go brush your teeth.”

“Yah!” Kibum gave him a little shove that had him dissolving into giggles.

“What?! You’re the one who said you had bad breath.”

“And you’re the one who said he didn’t care.”

“Upon further investigation into the matter, I have come to the conclusion that I do care,” Kevin shot back in the perfect interview voice, but with eyes that twinkled mischievously. He folded his arms over his chest and lifted his chin in the air. “I refuse to kiss you again until your mouth is minty fresh.”

“Well in that case, I refuse to kiss you again ever,” Kibum threatened. “And I can hold out on that longer than you.” Kevin pouted prettily and he laughed. “Damn. Either I’m getting soft or you’re getting cuter.” He reached over and ruffled Kevin’s hair in the same way the younger boy had done to his earlier. “You win. I’ll brush my teeth. Just keep an eye on the coffee. Aish, the things I do for you.” He rose and started away while Kevin nodded and beamed happily at his victory. Suddenly he stopped and went back over to where Kevin sat, taking the other by surprise when he hugged his shoulders from behind and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Upon further contemplation of your early arrival, I have come to the conclusion that it’s not so bad for you to be the first thing I see in the morning.” He let go quickly and jogged to the bathroom, leaving Kevin silent and blushing warmly.

Stunned, Kevin sat there alone in the kitchen for a minute, smiling softly to himself. In the silence he heard the coffeemaker gurgle as it finished brewing the pot. He got up and poked through the Kim brothers’ cabinets for a mug while Kibum was busy in the bathroom. Things were arranged differently since the last time he’d been there, but he finally found one and filled it up and then stared at it blankly for a second.

“Hey Kibum?” he called out.

“Yeah?” Kibum responded, not in the least concerned that their loud voices would disturb Hyung Jun. It took a lot to wake that guy up.

“How do you take your coffee again?”

There was a brief pause. “In a cup.”

Kevin rolled his eyes. “Well duh! I meant do you drink it the same way still?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Kibum said as he walked back into the kitchen, teeth minty fresh as requested, messy hair brushed but still retaining that slight wave hair gets while you sleep; the kind that can only be tamed with a flat iron. He had pulled on a pair of pajama pants as well and grabbed a pair of house slippers. Picking up the cup of black coffee with one hand and snaking the other around Kevin’s neck, he pulled him in for a deep kiss. “Better?” he teased.

“Much.” Kevin chuckled and kissed him again, poking at the damp bangs laying against Kibum’s forehead. “Your hair is wet.”

“Well aren’t you observant. I splashed some cold water on my face,” he explained as he brushed the hair out of his eyes and took a sip of coffee. He winced at the bitterness but kept drinking. Definitely made it way too strong, but that was how he needed it at the moment.

Kevin wound his arms around Kibum’s waist and put his head on his shoulder, glancing down as he did so. “Aww,” he feigned a pout. “You put on pants.”

“I was cold!” Kibum shook Kevin off and walked into the living room to check the thermostat. The air conditioning was cranked way higher than it needed to be. As he turned it down he felt strong slim arms slip around his waist. Kevin embraced him and nuzzled his cheek into his hair, lips close to his ear.

“I could keep you warm,” he whispered flirtatiously.

Kibum was a little surprised at the al young man’s naughty tone. Raising an eyebrow, he looked at him over his shoulder. “Don’t you think it’s a little early for that?”

Snuggling him tighter, Kevin shook his head. “Nope. I think it’s exactly the right time.”

Kibum rolled his eyes, but couldn’t help smiling and leaning back. “So, were you really up all night thinking about me?”

“Mmm.” Kevin nodded. “I think about you a lot, you know. Last night I couldn’t get you out of my head, though, because I knew I would see you again soon. The more I thought about you, the emptier my bed felt and the more anxious I was to be with you again. I hate that we’re hardly ever in the same city, let alone the same country at the same time.” He unwound his arms from Kibum’s waist and stepped back, allowing the other to turn and face him. “Is this normal?”

“What do you mean?”

He shrugged and walked over to the couch, dropping his long slender frame on the cushions. “I don’t know.”

Frowning, Kibum went after him. “Kevin, are you ever going to stop struggling with the way you are?”

“It’s not that,” he protested, though his cheeks reddened. “I’m not a confused kid anymore. It’s just that… it’s hard being separated from you.”

Kibum straddled Kevin’s legs and sat on his thighs, putting his hands on his shoulders, surprising him into looking up. “You know why that is. It’s because you love me.”

Kevin’s arms curled loosely around the older boy’s waist once more and a look of adoration came over his face. “I know. I just can’t believe that I can feel this strongly about you. Even after everything we’ve been through, I love you so much that it’s kind of overwhelming sometimes.”

“I feel the same way,” Kibum admitted quietly. “Maybe… maybe our feelings are so intense because we don’t get to see each other all the time. They do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Plus, it’s only natural to be overwhelmed by your feelings when you have no control over when you get to actually express them.”

Cocking his head to the side, Kevin mulled over the words for a few moments. “I never thought about it that way before. At least, not consciously. It makes sense, though. We wouldn’t be so desperate for each other if weren’t apart so much of the time. We’d both get more sleep.”

They laughed softly together. “That’s for damn sure! So,” Kibum bent over and grazed his lips across Kevin’s. “Feel better?”

“Actually, I do. Much better.” He tightened his embrace and his fingers tickled at the smooth skin of Kibum’s . He bit his lip with a bashful little smile and peeked up at him with coy eyes. “Can we go to your bedroom now?”

Kibum cracked up, laughing so hard he lost his balance and had to stand up. “Yeah, definitely not a kid anymore. And definitely feeling better.” He held out a hand. “Come on. Let’s go.”

Eyes lighting up, Kevin took the offered hand and rose, his smile widening. Kibum led him to his bedroom, closing the door behind them, and smirking as Kevin immediately proceeded to strip his shirt off and let himself fall backwards onto the bed. There had been a time when Kibum would have had to do that for him and he realized that he rather liked Kevin’s random bursts of boldness. He climbed onto the bed after him and smoothed his hands up Kevin’s firm chest, dropping warm kisses on his toned abdomen. Kevin shivered and allowed his eyelids to flutter shut, biting back a high-pitched moan. Kibum kissed his way up Kevin’s torso to bury his face in the crook of his neck, inhaling his clean familiar scent. Kevin hugged him around his shoulders, fingers toying with the hair at his nape, and leaned up to nip at the skin just under his jaw.

“Mmm…” Kevin purred happily against the steady pulse in Kibum’s throat. “This is perfect.”

The older boy lifted his head and gazed down at the serene beauty that was at once his closest friend and the love of his life and smiled tenderly. “Yeah. It is. Hey Kevin…” Those gentle eyes opened and locked with his. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, Kibum. More and more every day.” They both leaned into each other and their lips met in a deep passionate kiss, mouths parting slightly and tongues snaking out to swirl around each other. Kevin broke it and sighed. “Kibum?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you still tired?”

“Is that a trick question?” He flicked Kevin in the forehead with his middle finger and rolled over to lie beside him while Kevin flinched and rubbed at the red mark left by the impact. “Why? Are you tired now?”

Kevin yawned and rolled onto his side. “Uh-huh. I was still wide awake until just now.” He yawned again, longer than before and with more force, his eyes squeezing shut so hard they watered.

Kibum snickered. “That’s what happens when you stay up all night.”

“Don’t be mean,” Kevin murmured in a sleepy voice. He held an arm out and turned cajoling eyes on him. “Be my teddy bear?”

“Only if you promise to never say those words in that order ever again.” Even so, Kibum scooted closer and slipped one arm under Kevin, draping the other over his shoulder and giving him a peck on the nose.

Kevin made a pleased little sound and cuddled closer. “Would it be better if I said to be my Piro Piro?”

“Not much. I’d rather just be your Kim Kibum.”

The look on Kevin’s face softened into one of pure love. “Always,” he whispered. “You are always my Kibummie and the one I simply can’t do without. I don’t need a teddy bear or a Piro Piro or anything else so long as I have you.”

The drowsy yet emotional sentiment touched Kibum deeply and choked him up a bit, something that didn’t happen often. He held Kevin tighter, never wanting to let him go. “Things will be different someday,” he promised wistfully.

“It doesn’t matter right now,” Kevin replied with another little yawn. “Right now we’re together and that’s all that matters.”

Nodding, Kibum kissed him on the forehead as he drifted off to sleep. “Sweet dreams, Kevin.” He closed his eyes and rested his cheek against Kevin’s head, swiftly finding the kind of deep and peaceful sleep he only had when Kevin was in his arms.